Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-16-2013, 06:54 AM #22
Fieldpeice
That Paintball Complexion

has been a member for 10 years
Fieldpeice has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fieldpeice has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Soundls good wolf I play that way with the box mag. I never bring extra paint out to the battle I leave it at the staging station. Had my box mag and 5 20 rnd mags with me. It worked out great I even had my tipx as a side arm so that was more than enough paint for the game.
Fieldpeice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2013, 05:19 PM #23
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I don't think it's fair to limit mags, but I do think you should only be able to use 3000 psi hpa tanks. That will limit the amount of paint they can actually shoot much more effectively, without taking away the players ability to customize their loadout.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM #24
shafer.rich

I don't think it will be possible anytime soon. They would need to make the change from mechanical to electric markers. The companies probably won't do that anytime soon because they pride themselves on the sturdiness of the mechanical markers
shafer.rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM #25
vijil

Markers don't necessarily have to be electric - most current mech magfed markers would do the job and be under a 12.5bps limit when tested.

After a while players would simply move to electric ones that chop less and are lighter and smaller as they became available.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM #26
p8ntninja

p8ntninja has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
p8ntninja has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Its a neat idea but speedball tends to lean towards the more the better (paint in the air). This would severly limit that and would slow the game down a lot. Yea, pump is a slower format that has found success on the speedball field but that is because they still have a hopper and a majority of players are AT'ing.
p8ntninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:48 PM #27
vijil

Less paint in the air actually speeds the game up in terms of player movement. It makes holding down a lane very difficult and shooting moving players even harder = much more running around.

The reason speedball has become so paint intensive is because of the arms race which had no limits, and because paint manufacturers like it this way (I'm primarily a speedball player, or was). Neither of those affect how much fun magfed speedball would be to play.

Stock class and pistol only games by all accounts work extremely well on a speedball field.

Last edited by vijil : 11-17-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:42 PM #28
Cullum

Cullum owns a Planet Eclipse Etha

Is this what you are looking for?
Cullum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:50 AM #29
vijil

Close, though personally I'd want 20rnd continuous feed mags. It's certainly the closest setup currently available
Old 11-18-2013, 04:33 PM #30
wolf16731

wolf16731 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
wolf16731 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 supports Ninja Paintball
I run with 7 Dmags total, one in my MKPII, and the other 6 on my vest. That is normally plenty for me to rock and roll, even against speedballers. So I don't see an issue. Besides, mag fed is about tactics. Those kinds of tactics almost disappear if you don't set a paint limit for each class of player in magfed, I think. It would force players to make shots count and make movements and teamwork matter even more. And correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the most important thing about speedball teamwork and movement?
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 AM #31
vijil

doodles.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM #32
SharptheJack
Hit more when out.

SharptheJack has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Now that's something I'd consider buying.
SharptheJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM #33
cobi wan kenobi

The field I go to is outdoor and they run speedball in a wooded area. The rules, well basically there are no rules except for the velocity. Everything goes. There are people with speedball setups, full auto setups, and semi auto renters as well. Basically I'm the only one running magfed, with a M17 cqc and RAM P99. I think it's great, though if everyone ran magfed/limited ammo it would be better for me. Sort of similar to your idea. We move fast, in a confined area playing speedball and at least I'm using magfed. It works even with guys having 800+ rounds and full auto.
cobi wan kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM #34
beastmode2112
BANG

beastmode2112 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
beastmode2112 supports Ninja Paintball
This is a great idea, but I just don't think it will get popular. I would play it in a heartbeat, but all anyone would have to do to play this style of game is to cap your marker at a really low setting, and play with a set limited amount of paint.

I mean the only difference would be you can't have that coolness factor of reloading with a mag, and like Fubarious said you would have to keep your hopper pressed against the bunker or risk getting shot on it.
beastmode2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:35 PM #35
vijil

Only issue there is that you could shoot while reloading - the fact you can't do that with magfed is part of the reason it's tactically interesting. So I'd have a magfed only rule.

Maybe two pistols, two 20rnd magfeds and a regular speedball gun (hopper only) per team. That carries advantages for the paintball industry being able to sell more markers to speedballers because they'd naturally want the set.

Play vBall rules (just cross their backline alive line to win a point, unlimited respawns where you have to run around one or both of your back corners and touch the startbox before you're back in) and it'd be sweet. Of course you only get the paint you start the point with regardless of respawns.

For the record, vBall works a treat as a speedball format. Loads of fun, hugely athletic, many epic runthroughs and seesaw points. Have tried it. Mix that with magfed ftw.

Last edited by vijil : 08-27-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:06 AM #36
wolf16731

wolf16731 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
wolf16731 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
wolf16731 supports Ninja Paintball
vBall rules.. Now there is an idea that I like!
wolf16731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:53 AM #37
lostatsea530
Nature of the game

lostatsea530 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
lostatsea530 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not a fan, I currently enjoy the neo-sport kind of feel to speedball. It nearly feels like alien technology sometimes and mag-fed would definitely ruin that in my opinion. Speedball is all about shooting "lasers" and thinking ahead of your target by pre-planning their movements. Do i think mag-fed paintball is a good idea? No. Would I like to see speedball get even faster? Hell yeah! I think there should be two forms of speedball, slower BPS where they walk the trigger and just straight "laser" guns with full auto on one trigger pull.
Limited paint does not make you more accurate, it makes you think before each shot. Limited paint does not make you faster, it teaches you not to engage in a pointless fire-fight. Limited paint is not better, it is just more thoughtful.
I represent Nature of the Game (Hampstead, NC)
lostatsea530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 AM #38
aclark364
say no to wall hangers

aclark364 owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
aclark364 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aclark364 supports Ninja Paintball
why not just run a mech cocker with a stock class feed, or play stockclass?
aclark364 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM #39
cye604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf16731 View Post
Whats so different about it? Its like me saying, "I laugh when I see speedball guns in a scenario/woodsball game."
It is a bit funny, since (WARNING: PAINTBALL STEREOTYPES AHEAD) Speedball is not too focused on accuracy or trigger discipline, it is more on the infamously effective "spray and pray" tactic. Magfed is the polar opposite, with heavy trigger discipline, accurate shots, and "one shot, one kill" tactics.
cye604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 04:24 PM #40
vijil

What's wrong with adding a little trigger discipline? :p

Lostatsea I'm certainly not suggesting regular speedball be replaced, so there's nothing to ruin. Fair enough if you wouldn't enjoy it.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:02 AM #41
midniteryu

I'm saving up to get a magfed marker ( M17) and a back up pistol ( TipX) and I intend to use it as my only setup for speedball, woodsball, and if I can find a field that does it some scenario. I'm looking into the boxmag idea for days where I want to not worry about reloading my after 20 shots or if I'm going against a self equipped group of speed ballers.
midniteryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 09:36 AM #42
PenguinPaintball

Pros...
-More variety in game choices and play styles
-expands the paintball market even more
-More guns for collectors
Cons...
-Magazines would need to be made stronger to withstand reloading and dropping mags
-Magazines are not cheap and if played similar to pods it offers a higher chance of things being stolen
-There would need to be set guidelines on mag sizes and whats aloud

Magfed Speedball would help the sport to expand even more then it is now and offers more variable play styles. When the bow paintball marker was first released there was concern but all in all it made the sport more fun due to that challenges it presented. Paintball is all about having fun and for some different challenges make things fun. Instead of being able to spray 200 balls down field in 10 seconds it would encourage people to be more tactical while still spraying as much paint as possible. The aspect of how fast you could reload your marker would play a pretty big factor in each game but it would also add that real world feel to speedball and give players something else to practice.
As far as having a box mag why even allow it? If someone where allowed to bring a box mag on the field then they have a clear advantage to everyone else. Even if it were to one person each team. Part of magfed markers is the need to reload like a real weapon. A box mag would allow a player to just spray like a regular speedball match.
PenguinPaintball is offline   Reply With Quote