Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 02:10 AM #1
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

has been a member for 10 years
Nutritional Questions/Discussion

My main interest and I guess you can say "expertise" in bodybuilding lies in the area of nutrition. It doesn't matter if you have each lift's technique mastered or you do crazy sessions of HIIT every week; if you're not living up to your bodybuilding commitment in the kitchen, you are going to see little if any results.

If your completely new to this whole game, try and read the links before asking your questions and see if they help you out. Most of the stuff I will be posting is written by Dr. John Berardi from T-Nation and he knows his stuff more than anyone.

If your "advanced" feel free to just discuss nutrition as a whole: what you eat, when you eat, how you eat...you get the idea.

Teh Linkzorz!!!1!

Nutrition For Newbs
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...etAndNutrition

7 Habits of Highly Effective Nutritional Programs
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...programs& cr=

Massive Eating Parts 1&2---GOOD STUFF
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...ded_part_i&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...ed_part_ii&cr=

Nutrient Timing---Theory I base most of my eating off of
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...t_timing_i&cr=

Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...tion_myths&cr=

Berardis Kitchen Parts 1&2---Great ideas on what to eat
http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...hen_part_i&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/article/diet...kitchen_ii&cr=
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2010, 02:13 AM #2
DaramoeX
T. Swizzle

DaramoeX helped look for balloons
DaramoeX owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Copy from last thread:

Meat from a grass-fed steer has about one-half to one-third as much fat as a comparable cut from a grain-fed animal. Lower in calories, grass-fed beef is also higher in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, which are thought to help reduce the risk of cancer, lower the likelihood of high blood pressure, and make people less susceptible to depression. Further, meat from grass-fed cattle is rich in another beneficial fat called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which supposedly lowers the risk of cancer. The benefits of CLA are so widely acknowledged that some ranchers who don't grass-finish their cattle add CLA supplements to their animals' feed once they're taken to the feedlots.

Also, from the University of California:

Quote:
Their report concluded that ranchers who produce grass-fed cattle may rightfully claim the product is more healthful than conventionally produced meat.

The report says that three ounces of ground beef from cattle fed conventional diets contain about 41 micrograms of beta-carotene and a typical rib eye steak has 36 micrograms. In contrast, meat from cattle fattened predominately on ryegrass has almost double the beta-carotene, 87 micrograms in 3.5 ounces of ground beef and 64 micrograms in a steak.

Beta-carotene is converted to vitamin A in the body. While excessive amounts of vitamin A in supplement form can be toxic, the body will only convert as much vitamin A as it needs from beta-carotene. Vitamin A is a critical fat-soluble vitamin that is important for normal vision, bone growth, reproduction, cell division and cell differentiation. A three-ounce serving of grass-fed beef supplies 10 percent of the recommended dietary allowance of beta-carotene for women, compared to 5 percent from conventional beef.

The amount of natural vitamin E found in beef raised on a conventional diet is 3.7 micrograms per gram of meat. The amount of vitamin E per gram in beef raised on the grass-based diet is 9.3 micrograms, a nearly threefold improvement. A 3.5-ounce serving of grass-fed beef would yield 930 micrograms of vitamin E, about 7 percent of the daily dietary requirement.

Vitamin E is a fat-soluble vitamin with powerful antioxidant activity. Antioxidants protect cells against the effects of free radicals, which are potentially damaging byproducts of the body's metabolism that may contribute to chronic health problems such as cancer and cardiovascular disease.

Cattle's diet also significantly alters the fatty acid composition of their meat. Cattle fed primarily grass have 60 percent more omega-3 fatty acids and a more favorable omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and help prevent heart disease and arthritis. Omega-6 promotes inflammation, blood clotting and tumor growth. Because the two substances work together to promote good health, it is important to maintain a proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. The essential fatty acids are also highly concentrated in the brain and appear to be particularly important for cognitive and behavioral function.

Raising cattle on grass boosts the beef's level of a conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), a lesser-known but important group of polyunsaturated fatty acids found in beef, lamb and dairy products. Over the past two decades, numerous health benefits have been attributed to CLA in animals, including a reduction in cancer, heart disease, onset of diabetes and accumulation of body fat. To achieve these benefits, the average person should consume about 5 grams of CLA per day. A 3.5-ounce serving of grass-fed beef provides 1.23 grams of CLA, 25 percent of the daily requirement. The same amount of conventional beef provides less than 10 percent of the daily requirement.
Think of it in general like this: people who eat natural healthy foods like fruit and veggies, meat straight from farms, etc. tend to be healthier overall vs. people who eat "unnatural" foods like fast food, food that has been stuffed with preservatives, etc. Grain-fed beef (the kind in stores) is from an animal that eats a highly unnatural diet. Grain can literally kill a cow if the cow doesn't receive a lot of help in the form of injections and medicines from the farmers. Grass won't kill a cow, but they grow slower.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 AM #3
FHS JewFro
black AND white

my nutrition is mcdonalds, what am i doing wrong?

"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 AM #4
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!

Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaramoeX View Post
Copy from last thread:

Meat from a grass-fed steer has about one-half to one-third as much fat as a comparable cut from a grain-fed animal. Lower in calories, grass-fed beef is also higher in vitamin E and omega-3 fatty acids, which are thought to help reduce the risk of cancer, lower the likelihood of high blood pressure, and make people less susceptible to depression. Further, meat from grass-fed cattle is rich in another beneficial fat called conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which supposedly lowers the risk of cancer. The benefits of CLA are so widely acknowledged that some ranchers who don't grass-finish their cattle add CLA supplements to their animals' feed once they're taken to the feedlots.

thats all well and good but most people don't have the kind of disposable income to spend on grass fed beef, let alone if its even an option

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed

I know, right?
Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM #5
Pump Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
my nutrition is mcdonalds, what am i doing wrong?

Im at wendys right now, come at me bro,

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Old 12-23-2010, 12:35 PM #6
hsilman
Disgustipated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wango_Tango View Post
thats all well and good but most people don't have the kind of disposable income to spend on grass fed beef, let alone if its even an option
You know what's worse than spending extra on beef? Not having any left in 30 years.

Btwn 30 and 50 years is the current projected lifecycle of our factory beef industry before disease and genetic difficiencies wipe out livestock. Not to mention the whole deal with corn subsidies which is going to destroy our ability to grow anything, much less animal feed.

If you can afford $3/lb for beef, you can afford $4/lb instead. Its a much better alternative to Soylent green.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:41 PM #7
SpyderPB819

SpyderPB819 donated to help Peyton Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaramoeX View Post
Copy from last thread:

Think of it in general like this: people who eat natural healthy foods like fruit and veggies, meat straight from farms, etc. tend to be healthier overall vs. people who eat "unnatural" foods like fast food, food that has been stuffed with preservatives, etc. Grain-fed beef (the kind in stores) is from an animal that eats a highly unnatural diet. Grain can literally kill a cow if the cow doesn't receive a lot of help in the form of injections and medicines from the farmers. Grass won't kill a cow, but they grow slower.
I appreciate all that info. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:47 PM #8
DaramoeX
T. Swizzle

DaramoeX helped look for balloons
DaramoeX owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I really think nutrition is the reason there are a lot of healthy old people and unhealthy young people. My step dad smokes about 2 to 3 packs of cigs a day and drinks every night. However, he has always eaten well and has very little health problems at 56 years old. Worked on a farm as a kid, grew all kinds of food in a 3 acre garden and ate beef from the grass-fed cows they raised. Always worked hard, always ate well, and now even smoking and drinking isn't affecting his health (not yet, but I'm sure it will eventually).
Old 12-23-2010, 03:42 PM #9
NJ Mikey A
Memento Mori

NJ Mikey A plays in the PSP
NJ Mikey A supports Cereal Killerz 2
NJ Mikey A is for the Gunfight

He was delicious
You and I have the courage to say to our enemies, "There is a price we will not pay." "There is a point beyond which they must not advance." And this—this is the meaning in the phrase of Barry Goldwater's "peace through strength." Winston Churchill said, "The destiny of man is not measured by material computations. When great forces are on the move in the world, we learn we're spirits—not animals." And he said, "There's something going on in time and space, and beyond time and space, which, whether we like it or not, spells duty."

You and I have a rendezvous with destiny.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:46 PM #10
Pyrosive
Jacked

Pyrosive helped look for balloons
I love me a bison burger. I need to find a butcher around here that will sell some. That, and I'm going to stock up on some venison. Gonna be a good summer
Old 12-23-2010, 04:53 PM #11
FHS JewFro
black AND white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Revolution View Post
Im at wendys right now, come at me bro,
had mcdonalds and taco bell today, YOU come at ME, BRO!
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM #12
Pump Revolution

I went to the bar this afternoon and only had ONE beer, im proud of myself

Old 12-23-2010, 05:19 PM #13
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Almost all grass fed beef eats only corn in the last month or so of life to provide marbling.

My main point in the last thread was that the cut matters much more than being grass or corn fed. With equal cuts, yes the natural beef will have a bit less fat (the numbers in the beef we use are much more minuscule than 50% of corn fed, but there is a little difference.), but usually for the extra price of grass fed beef you can pick up a finer cut of Choice or Angus beef.

Like a grass fed chuckeye steak might be the same price as an Angus sirloin steak, but the sirloin will have much less fat in it.

Like I said in the last thread, just check out the cut itself before you buy it. The nutrition labels on that stuff are all generic, and each steak is different.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 PM #14
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
had mcdonalds and taco bell today, YOU come at ME, BRO!
i know what you did today.

i only had mcdonalds though. you can count on some taco bell at around midnight tonight though
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
Old 12-23-2010, 05:52 PM #15
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber is an NCPA player
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
My problem with fast food is that since I eat it so rarely, when I do I wanna feast. I gotta hit everything good on the menu, haha. Especially since 95% of the time I eat it I've had a few drinks. I regularly spend $8+ on each fast food trip.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:39 PM #16
paintballh00dlum
lightweight

paintballh00dlum has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
my dad goes out west elk hunting a lot and we have like pounds and pounds of elk meat always in our freezer, its so good.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:16 PM #17
SpyderPB819

SpyderPB819 donated to help Peyton Trent
Few more questions.

Am I getting enough/the right fats? I eat almonds as a snack through the day and peanut butter in shakes usually twice daily.

And carbs? I put oats in post w/o shake, eat brown rice with usually 2 meals a day and eat fruit as another snack
Old 12-27-2010, 12:47 PM #18
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

Over the past Christmas week....nutrition? hahahahaha.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM #19
Bayne
Trucks? Haha, 7/8/08

So.. I just ate a bowl of Tomato soup, a grilled cheese and a chocolate chip cookie...
I feel huge. I think I got like 8 grams of protein in there lulz.

ST: Photo- Rimjobs and tummy rubs all around.
I am heaven sent, don't you dare forget.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:43 AM #20
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death_Taco View Post
Over the past Christmas week....nutrition? hahahahaha.
Tell me about it. I have been gaining weight very consistently, at a healthy pace, with "clean" (lol) bulking foods...been trying a lower-carb bulk that's been going great.

Then came this break. I guess I should just be happy that I came back on the 23rd and am going back tomorrow, so I couldn't do more damage. I wasn't faring too badly until a group of friends came over with massive alcohol in tow two nights ago...the unhealthiness of that night is unrivaled by anything I've done in the past year. Not only were copious amounts of alcohol and sugar combined and ingested, but when someone broke the Doritos out...all hope was lost.

I'm honestly contemplating cutting for just a week to alleviate the damage of this week, and then going back to my bulk haha.
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Old 12-28-2010, 12:58 PM #21
Pump Revolution

damn alcohols

Closed Thread