Community Focus

Old 08-30-2010, 09:37 AM #43
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

has been a member for 10 years
robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJsuicide View Post
Wow, no need to come across like that. So what, you know one guy who is obviously a genetic freak... what about the rest of us normal people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintnoob13 View Post
you're an idiot also. Being big and still being able to move doesn't make you a genetic freak, it just means you work hard. If you truly believe that you can't get big and still be athletic then you are a fool.
This is what I was getting at, couldn't have put it better in fact.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:55 PM #44
ChrisPBFit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlausen View Post
Rippetoe is Crossfit certified, so some respected people seem to support it.
Just to clarify, I believe Rip and several other coaches actually resigned their Crossfit certifications last year. One contributing factor was Crossfit's general de-emphasis of basic strength work.

With that said, it's a pretty good template/concept for average people interested in "general fitness", but someone with specific strength or physique goals would need a better-designed plan to more directly address those needs.

You can also find Paintball Fitness on Facebook.
ChrisPBFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:46 PM #45
MeNaCe330
We Ballin Boy

I did crossfit for 3 months at a local box in miami, after the first week I was like damn this might actually make a difference. A little background on myself, i wrestled in college and am no stranger to weights, training, and diet.

Crossfit does a good job at putting together a workout 15% of the time, the rest of the time involve 5 minute intense workouts (for some) that has you asking for more. ive left pissed off at times going straight to the gym to get a better workout done and yes this was me doing Rx (prescription weight).

I quit after the 3 months as i was getting my name on the boards but not feeling or seeing the results i wanted. I moved on to a personal training regimen where it was a hybrid of anarobic and aerobic exercise in the same day (except for ab days where it was strictly aerobic). This again didnt produce the results i was looking for after 3 months.

Im now back to lifting weights and wont look back, although every few days i throw in a circuit-crossfit mix workout as my day for abs and cardio (i make it up myself so that i can make it hard enough to make me crawl out the gym). This i feel is the best way to go as i get a complete workout.

My opinion on crossfit is thus, its a waste of money....your paying for people to motivate you to exercise along with socialization because thats what it is, a club where you exercise. Yes i did the dumb paleo diet then looked into it (yeah cave men were ripped and bulky but their lifespan was also to 30yrs old). Crossfit is a gimmick and will be gone within the next year and a half...(remember tai bo?). The only workout that has had me on my *** crying was Fran where i got to 1:49 and yes i threw up but again after the initial 10 min of hating myself I was over it and ready to go.

Btw, crossfit is not without its dangers... crossfit is known to cause rhabdo...where muscle fiber is broken down and taken through the blood stream and to the kidneys in which case kidney failure is imminent.

MeNaCe330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:03 PM #46
peltco123 (Banned)

peltco123 is a Professional paintball player
peltco123 plays in the PSP
peltco123 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJsuicide View Post
Wow, no need to come across like that. So what, you know one guy who is obviously a genetic freak... what about the rest of us normal people?
Normal MEN should not do nor want to do crossfit. Normal men should want to have impressive 1rm's on compound lifts not mediocre 30 rep kettleball swings.
peltco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:57 AM #47
p8ntballoc11
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by peltco123 View Post
Normal MEN should not do nor want to do crossfit. Normal men should want to have impressive 1rm's on compound lifts not mediocre 30 rep kettleball swings.
"how much do you bench/squat"

"lol dude i can get 50 squats in 30 seconds. i'm so functional and such a great athlete"

"..."
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
p8ntballoc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM #48
||IcEs||
kek

I am possibly the only one here who hasn't even bothered to look into xfit or whatever it is.

basics are best. If I wanted to rip my stamina to shreds I simply whack on a weight vest, put a rope round my waist and drag a tyre across sand.

Come to think of it...I'll look into that.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:28 AM #49
undiscoveredtalent

dont get why people rip on these guys, its just a completely different approach. agile/fit vs. muscular/strong

just completely different goals
undiscoveredtalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:42 AM #50
p8ntballoc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie_vlad View Post
You are an idiot. I personally know a guy who is 6'4'' 250 and runs a 5ish minute mile (16min 5k) who pulls 700+, squats 600+, and benches right around 400.
i am calling you out saying this is bull****. unless 5ish minute mile means high 5's and 16 min 5k means 18min 5. even then i'm calling bull ****.

if there is any truth to this it is that he got those times when he was younger and weighed much less and he could not lift those numbers at the time.

he definitely cannot do both.

he definitely can't run those times weighing in at 250.

****ing bull ****.
the creatine has entered my veins. i can feel it raging inside of me. i look down and realize my 11 inch biceps have swollen at least half an inch. i become scared of my own strength. mother knocks on the door to tell me good night, but i tell her not to open the door...i dont want her to see me like this. moments later i catch myself looking at myself in the mirror...i can barely recognize myself.

then i remember the internet is down...and im forced to jack off to thoughts of a girl in my class into a sock. i watch the george lopez show then go to sleep"
Old 09-03-2010, 10:11 AM #51
Laureate
strength beyond strength

Quote:
You are an idiot. I personally know a guy who is 6'4'' 250 and runs a 5ish minute mile (16min 5k) who pulls 700+, squats 600+, and benches right around 400.
his name wouldn't happen to be clark kent, would it? just askin...

Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 AM #52
ChrisPBFit

Quote:
I personally know a guy who is 6'4'' 250 and runs a 5ish minute mile (16min 5k) who pulls 700+, squats 600+, and benches right around 400.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate View Post
his name wouldn't happen to be clark kent, would it? just askin...
Sounds more like he's Chuck Norris. Or at least Bill Brasky.

Vlad, you've got to admit that those numbers are very questionable.

From Coolrunning.com:
"Competitive runners
Runners who run over 60 miles per week and run seven days per week, frequently twice per day. For men, 5K time is under 17:00"
To say this guy has that time while weighing several dozen pounds more than your average runner makes it suspect.

From Rawpowerlifting.com:
The US national raw powerlifting records in the 242-pound/open age class are currently a 650 squat, 480 bench, 749.5 dead, 1780 total.

Not only could your buddy be a dominant distance runner, he could also be a dominant powerlifter. One of the best in the country, in both sports.

Congrats to him if he's this kind of legit once-in-a-lifetime phenom, but you've got to understand that it's a skeptical claim.

You can also find Paintball Fitness on Facebook.
ChrisPBFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM #53
p8ntballoc11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBFit View Post

From Coolrunning.com:
"Competitive runners
Runners who run over 60 miles per week and run seven days per week, frequently twice per day. For men, 5K time is under 17:00"
To say this guy has that time while weighing several dozen pounds more than your average runner makes it suspect.

The US national raw powerlifting records in the 242-pound/open age class are currently a 650 squat, 480 bench, 749.5 dead, 1780 total.

Not only could your buddy be a dominant distance runner, he could also be a dominant powerlifter. One of the best in the country, in both sports.

Congrats to him if he's this kind of legit once-in-a-lifetime phenom, but you've got to understand that it's a skeptical claim.
he's not. his build makes it impossible for him to be both.

you can't run like that weighign that much. your joints can't take it.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:03 AM #54
GJsuicide

No no, it HAS to be true. Also I bet the guy never works out and eats donuts and cookies all day everyday, too.
GJsuicide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 PM #55
]TSS[ Dake
Somewhere in the Between

When I was training in MMA prior to enlisting, our conditioning was of the crossfit style.

The weight training I'm doing now has made me bigger, stronger, and a much better grappler as I now have the strength to execute the techniques I've known all along.

Weight training works for me. If your routine works for you, good deal.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM #56
robbie_vlad
Shake N' Bake

robbie_vlad is playing at Living Legends III
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPBFit View Post

From Coolrunning.com:
"Competitive runners

Hmm, you might have a point. Honestly, I was just reporting what I was told, but I didn't realize that those numbers would be THAT crazy, so I never considered the fact that I might be getting lied too...oh well. Sorry everyone, I'll admit that I was wrong with that example.