Community Focus

Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 AM #1
adambomb#13

has been a member for 10 years
adambomb#13 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
adambomb#13 plays in the APPA D5 division
adambomb#13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I hate religion but love jesus

I was raised catholic but chose to be agnostic, saw this video and thought I'd share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhD...e_gdata_player

Discuss...
adambomb#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 PM #2
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

teamsilentassassins is BST Trusted
teamsilentassassins plays in the PSP
teamsilentassassins supports Team VICIOUS
teamsilentassassins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you want to take the time to read it, this guy pretty much hits the head of the nail:

http://larkinbriley.wordpress.com/20...e-dichotomies/

ATO@WKU Colony

By the way, when you see a vagina, your whole world will change. --Thunderstick

wow. your argument has more holes than the failed condom that resulted in your birth. --MaLfUnCtIoN3
teamsilentassassins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:11 PM #3
adambomb#13

I did read it, but I think I'm still with the dude on the vid. I don't believe in organized religion, any of them, while I do agree with the basic principles of most.
I believe jesus was a good man, but that's it, I don't believe he was born of a virgin, I don't believe he was "the son of god" anymore than any other man would be, but a man with morals who wanted the world to be a friendlier place, I don't believe he gave sight to the blind, or turned water into wine, or walked on water(unless perhaps a frozen lake,pond,or river). These are my thoughts on religion, and Christianity in general, and I, in no way, would try to change anyone's outlook on faith. Like I said, I was raised catholic, and went to catholic school for my formative years( until 6th grade, when I moved to new england) once I was able to inform myself, and make my own decisions this is the way I've chosen to live.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 PM #4
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb#13 View Post
I did read it, but I think I'm still with the dude on the vid. I don't believe in organized religion, any of them, while I do agree with the basic principles of most.
I believe jesus was a good man, but that's it, I don't believe he was born of a virgin, I don't believe he was "the son of god" anymore than any other man would be, but a man with morals who wanted the world to be a friendlier place, I don't believe he gave sight to the blind, or turned water into wine, or walked on water(unless perhaps a frozen lake,pond,or river). These are my thoughts on religion, and Christianity in general, and I, in no way, would try to change anyone's outlook on faith. Like I said, I was raised catholic, and went to catholic school for my formative years( until 6th grade, when I moved to new england) once I was able to inform myself, and make my own decisions this is the way I've chosen to live.
Which version of Christianity do your thoughts subscribe to? This is paramount to your interpretation of Jesus' character.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM #5
adambomb#13

I'm not sure what you mean by version of Christianity, but I'll lump all of the separate denominations that follow the old/new testament together, I don't believe in the bible, in my opinion the bible is a collection of fables told to children to scare them into being "good", however, I do believe, like I said, that Jesus was a real man with solid morals, just not in the fairytales that surround him.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:32 PM #6
adambomb#13

Last edited by adambomb#13 : 01-13-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM #7
adambomb#13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adambomb#13
I'm not sure what you mean by version of Christianity, but I'll lump all of the separate denominations that follow the old/new testament together, I don't believe in the bible, in my opinion the bible is a collection of fables told to children to scare them into being "good", however, I do believe, like I said, that Jesus was a real man with solid morals, just not in the fairytales that surround him.
Edit: or any other character from those stories
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM #8
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I'm going to answer for you. Your reference point for Christianity comes from the Protestant egalitarian version of Christianity. As a result, you interpret Jesus as the "everyone just get along and hold hands" kinda guy.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:51 PM #9
adambomb#13

I'm also familiar with the "cleanse the world with fire" Jesus who's angry with the way the Jews were worshipping "god" and the blasphemy carried out in "his" name, and I'm not saying I think we should "all hold hands and get along" at all, but I do think every major religion holds basically the same morals, and teachings about what a "good" person should be.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:56 PM #10
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I'm also familiar with the "cleanse the world with fire" Jesus who's angry with the way the Jews were worshipping "god" and the blasphemy carried out in "his" name, and I'm not saying I think we should "all hold hands and get along" at all, but I do think every major religion holds basically the same morals, and teachings about what a "good" person should be.
The personal anthropomorphic savior version (good vs evil, eventually good wins out) is a lot different than the transcendental anti-dualistic (good and evil are both divine) version it originally was. The latter is quite different in moral scope from the former.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 PM #11
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

Quote:
This kinda tells me that you believe in the Christian moral code and mindset. Believing that Christ was the/is son of God is pretty paramount to believing in Christianity.

Quote:
If this is what you believe, then you need to read the New Testament a little closer next time, if there was even a first time.

Quote:
Jesus Christ never had this mentality. This is the "teachings" of the OT God during the Sinai Covenant era.

Not trying to be a dick, but do you know anything about Christian doctrine at all? I don't knock your beliefs, but considering yourself a Christian with this mindset seems to be a misuse of terms.

ATO@WKU Colony

wow. your argument has more holes than the failed condom that resulted in your birth. --MaLfUnCtIoN3
Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM #12
Umami
Hitmanimal

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
The guy's hand gestures, background music, and the fancy captioning made me want to be born again in the light of Christ, and dislike religion while loving the church?

if it's needed.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM #13
adambomb#13

No, I don't consider myself Christian, nor do I really consider myself atheist, I have some understanding of Catholicism, though I'll admit it has been upwards of twenty years since going to church at all outside of family funerals and my brother-in-laws wedding, so my memory is foggy to say the least, I thought the vid was a good indictment of organized religion, a little cheesy the way it was presented perhaps, but it made a point I think
Old 01-13-2012, 04:49 PM #14
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
The guy's hand gestures, background music, and the fancy captioning made me want to be born again in the light of Christ, and dislike false religion while loving the church?
Fixed, but it's not your fault. The guy tosses the word "religion" around like candy off a parade float and mistakenly uses it as a blanket for all aspects of religion.

Quote:
No, I don't consider myself Christian, nor do I really consider myself atheist, I have some understanding of Catholicism, though I'll admit it has been upwards of twenty years since going to church at all outside of family funerals and my brother-in-laws wedding, so my memory is foggy to say the least, I thought the vid was a good indictment of organized religion, a little cheesy the way it was presented perhaps, but it made a point I think
Organized religion, while not my favorite thing in the world after seeing it's bastardization, is pretty crucial to religion as a whole. I'm may not personally be up for the organized bit, but that's just personal preference and, more importantly, an exception to the rule of thumb. The church and organized religion, when looking at what it does, really isn't a bad thing. It's the false religion, as I stated above and a few other times, that becomes the problem. That's what this guy's talking about while failing to communicate it properly.

ATO@WKU Colony

Old 01-13-2012, 05:06 PM #15
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Lol, I just stopped by my parents house today and my mom showed me this video. Small world.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM #16
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

TSA2, it's all over place, it went viral yesterday. Most people have seen it by now.

ATO@WKU Colony

Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 PM #17
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsilentassassins View Post
TSA2, it's all over place, it went viral yesterday. Most people have seen it by now.
Ya, I've seen it re-posted quite a bit on facebook. The guy reminds me of the guys my old high school used to bring in to speak to us young people about drugs and abstinence. Mr. cool guy who does the right thing, but is "still down with the cool kids" as demonstrated by his astounding number of easily relate-able, yet horribly fallacious, analogies in his arsenal. I didn't realize so many people actually responded well to this. Huh...

Last edited by spracks21 : 01-13-2012 at 09:30 PM.
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM #18
Umami
Hitmanimal

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Fixed, but it's not your fault. The guy tosses the word "religion" around like candy off a parade float and mistakenly uses it as a blanket for all aspects of religion.
Who decides what's false religion and what's not?
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 AM #19
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Who decides what's false religion and what's not?
That's actually a much more difficult question than what I originally thought. I'd say that because the religion itself defines what it is, shedding any light that is not what the religion intends would be considered false religion.

ATO@WKU Colony

Old 01-14-2012, 02:49 PM #20
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower

spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
That's actually a much more difficult question than what I originally thought. I'd say that because the religion itself defines what it is, shedding any light that is not what the religion intends would be considered false religion.
According to who's interpretation?
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:42 PM #21
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self

Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
According to who's interpretation?
Seeing as the entire definition I just gave you is completely subjective, you can assume it's my interpretation as well.

ATO@WKU Colony