PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-03-2012, 05:14 PM #1
imanut2
Just some Nutt

G6R ASA leak

Hi,

My son's G6R (older model as he's the 3rd owner) developed a minor leak that seems to be coming from the asa. I pulled the asa off and the o-ring looked fine...relubed with DOW55 and reinstalled...still leaking.

Does the ASA come apart? There is a small allen screw on the bottom, but not much happened when I unscrewed it and backed the ASA knob all the way out....I was kind hoping for something a little more exciting LOL

My son wants to buy a new asa, but I would rather fix this one if possible....esp since I'm not sure he'll easily find a dust white asa.

Any suggestions? Could it be the pin itself? It's a very small leak and he's been playing with it as it is with no prob...but I'd like to get it fixed. Also, anywhere to get an exploded view of the G6R? Thanks in advance...
imanut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM #2
bronze
copper alloy

has been a member for 10 years
bronze donated to help Peyton Trent
 is playing at Living Legends XI
bronze is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
change the o ring. Tighten the screws down, like you're putting a tire on. Few turns on one screw, then a few turns on another. To slowly apply pressure to it.

BTW, using a low pressure tank?
bronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 PM #3
martix_agent
Mandated fun

martix_agent is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
yep. change that oring. It takes about 5 min, tops. The ASA is screwed in from inside the frame. remove the grips, and you'll find the screws that hold it in place.

You can't just go buy a new ASA, and chances are, you'll still have the leak from the oring that seals the grip to the ASA.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM #4
imanut2
Just some Nutt

First, thanks for the replies.

Yes, he uses my low pressure CP tank...he's had it for about 6 months and trouble free until this minor leak...I have a small collection of 'older' timmies (Dragon, 2.5 Ripper, Miami Rage, Ironmen, etc.) and have always used low pressure tanks with them...and I do have to say the G6R is really sweet....quiet, unbelievably efficient, accurate, etc...very nice...just not old school enough for me LOL

I did remove the asa from the marker originally (even had to dremel a slot in one of the screws that someone else had stripped) and since the o-ring looked fine, I just lubed it with Dow 55 and re-installed the asa...and as I mentioned, it still leaks....BUT...I did not do it alternating screws a few turns at a time...I will try that next. Will also replace the o-ring at the same time... I'm sure there is one in the rebuild kits.

Is there a seal on the pin itself that may be leaking? I couldn't find a diagram or schematic for the G6R, but was wondering if there is a seal/o-ring somewhere on the pin itself.

Also,I have no idea what year this G6R is, but since h's the 3rd owner, it's not a newer one....if I recall, didn't some of the older ones have a problem with the ASAs? Were they a problem right from the beginning? Or as time wore on? I'll have to see if there is a shot counter and see how much paint has been through it...it's in very good condition and has worked flawlessly (and still dies other than the annoying minor leak LOL)

Anyhow, thanks for the help so far :=)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM #5
SKI008

plays in the NXL
Do a search for "Updated ASA pin" on these forums they came out with a new one a few months into the G6R's life to alleviate the oring shearing issues some people were experiencing.

If you have the pin then replace the oring and lube. Try Dow 33 on the ASA pin, I've heard of some people having issues with 55 causing the oring to swell and rub against the threads, shredding it.

Not sure what you mean by shot counter on a gun with an LED board (I'm assuming you have a 2011 G6R since you say it's not the new one) but neither the OLED G6R nor the LED one has that.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:44 AM #6
Ringy11291
WRX onwer

i had the same issue with my asa if u take it completely off the gun and take out the screw on the bottom off it the inside pin should come out and that has a small oring on it. I took it to a shop up where im at and he showed me its a little pin basically with a even smaller oring its a standard size and not a special bob long size.

Hope this helps my G6R isnt new either im second owner of a Valken edition one. Good luck to ya buddy hope you get that fixed.
Ringy11291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:19 PM #7
imanut2
Just some Nutt

Thanks again folks...will prob try bronze's suggestion first since it is easiest...if that doesn't work I will pull the pin...

SKI008, thanks....may call Blast if the other things don't solve the problem...and since I never turned the marker on, I have no idea what board is in it...and only used it once during a game and for that I just gave my son my cocker and he gave me his G6R (it was already on so I never looked at the board) LOL I know some boards keep track of total shots the marker has on it and I know my son has mentioned replacing the board, but his marker his money, I keep out of it...but a shot counter comes in handy sometimes when you're wondering if it's time for routine maintenance...

Ringy, thanks...I pulled the pin and cleaned it when I had the ASA of the first time...couldn't tell if the tiny o-ring was bad so I just cleaned and re-installed..esp since I didn't have that size o-ring in my tool box LOL
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM #8
tim2thousand4

tim2thousand4 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tim2thousand4 supports DLX Technology
PM me regarding your issue... I would be happy to help you.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM #9
paintballer37991
West Coast Sharks

paintballer37991 is a Supporting Member
paintballer37991 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
paintballer37991 plays in the APPA D3 division
What color is the oring on the Asa pin?
paintballer37991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 AM #10
Jsres

Jsres supports Empire
idk if the 2K12 and the 2K11 oring for the ASA is the same but one of my buddies at the field had a leak from between the ASA and the Frame. we checked the oring and it looked good. lubed with dow and it still leaked. what we did next was go to a different sized oring. went from that weird off sized oring to a 006 oring. lubed it up and it held up. i dont know if it will work for the 2K11 but it worked on a 2K12
CCM T2, CCM Series 5 Mech , CCM Series 5 Pump, Works (fire anno) Mech, Mini Works (Granite) Mech, ANS GX-3 Red/Blk Fade Mech, ANS GX-4 Yellow/Blk Fade Mech, FBM Chrome Mech, PE Geo 3 Blk/Orange (Cored), Karnivor Titanium/Blue

Certified KEE tech
Jsres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 AM #11
Ringy11291
WRX onwer

Paintballer37991: I think mine was black but of course the guy i got the gun from never cleaned it. the oring on mine was also ripped in half.

Imanut: hmm not sure then well that was my .02 cents about it ahaha maybe you should to bronzes idea but do every oring in the asa. I know its gonna be a pain in the *** i hate taking the asa off on those hahah.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM #12
paintballer37991
West Coast Sharks

plays in the NXL
The updated Asa pins have brown orings on them and shouldn't be shredding. The leak in between the Asa and frame are usually from using too high of a pressure from your tank
Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM #13
Ringy11291
WRX onwer

Maybe mine was ripped when i got it but stayed together to work for a bit then failed cuz i have a SLP on that so its not high, either way dont mean to blow up the tread with stories that dont help imanut out.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 AM #14
imanut2
Just some Nutt

The o-ring lookerd like it was black...didn't have my glasses on so I can't be too sure LOL

I will take it apart again (with my reading glasses on this time) and see what's going on....

Thank you all for your suggestions...Tim, will pm you once I take the marker apart and double check the o-rings...
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 AM #15
paintballer37991
West Coast Sharks

plays in the NXL
If its black you have the older Asa pin and just need to call blast for the updated pin. Once that's installed no more leaks
Old 10-08-2012, 06:43 AM #16
Ringy11291
WRX onwer

you dont need a new pin you just need a small o ring but if you want a new pin then go for it.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 PM #17
imanut2
Just some Nutt

Thanks...will replace the o-ring when I get a chance...played p-ball all weekend, still need to finish cleaning all my gear b4 tackling my son's marker...

...but a friend borrowed the G6R and used it with no problems other than the small leak from the ASA...even with the leak, he was amazed that he could put pod after pod after pod through it b4 having to refill LOL
Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM #18
andyschein
OcD

andyschein plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
andyschein owns a Planet Eclipse SLS
andyschein plays in the APPA D4 division
replace the oring on the asa pin....
andyschein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM #19
imanut2