PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 AM #1
OMGitsSpags

has been a member for 10 years
~Official Workout/Exercising Thread~

Alright i've seen a few too many "how do I lose 20 lbs." or "how do i get stronger" threads. Since my second love (next to paintball) is weight training, i'm going to tell everyone how they can improve their game by getting stronger, faster, and overall healthier.

First off, I am not responsible for anybody getting hurt trying these lifts. If done incorrectly you can, and possibly will injure yourself. The truth is you should always have a spotter strong enough to lift weights off of you if heaven-forbid they should drop.

Okay, Now that this is out of the way I will describe in detail a workout program that will improve your strength tremendously. Weight training is also a great way to not really "lose weight" because as you should know muscle weighs more than fat. But it does, on the other hand, slim you out, make you lose fat mass, gain muscle mass. It will also make you faster, and more agile, as well as less prone to injury. Overall it's a great idea to add to your lifestyle, whether your 12 or 50.

This workout is designed to be done Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Bench Press: Sets: one warmup, 3 normal sets. To perform a bench press, lay on the bench with the bar at your chest level, add the desired weight and lift the bar up off above the bar stop, and let slowly touch to your to your chest. Push the bar back up straight in the air. each set should consist of 8-12 repetions.

Barbell curl: 3 sets To perform a barbell curl, you must take a barbell and add the desired weight. If you or your local gym has an EZ curl bar, then place your hand in the groove.let bar hang loosely with your arms straight down. Keep your back straight, your feet shoulder width apart, and your knees slightly bent. This will ensure that you do the exercise right, thus getting better results. curl the bar keeping your elbows tucked to your side, using primarily your bicep muscle. In a controlled manner, let the bar go down to the starting position. Repeat 8-12 times per set.

Lat Pulldown: 3 sets, 8-12 reps. to perform this add desired weight, connect lat bar to pulleys. The lat bar is usually straight, sometimes curved, with grips at toward each end. grab the bar on either side, close to ends. at the starting position your lats should feel stretched out. sit upright on the bench and angle your body about 20 degrees backward. pull the bar down to your chest, and pump your chest out in a fluid motion. Let the bar go back up in a controlled manner and repeat.

Squat:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiboob
im not quoting but here goes

the way your body builds muscle and strentgh is the bonding of protiens to repair and build upon muscle. the only way to increase strength or size is to tear down your existing muscle by pushing yourself beyond the normal. muscle fatigue isnt a bad thing although nutrition is a key element.

and by the way i love the cardio although i wouldnt reccomend such a long jog. maybe 10 min. for the average person joging about 10 min should have them cover roughly 3/4 to 1 mile.

peace
andy
shoulder press: 3 sets, 8-12 reps. this is an easy exercise but can be badly butchered and hurt your shoulders. What you have to do is grab the appropriate size dumbells, and sit on the bench. A straddling position will work just as well as sitting off to the side. While keeping your back straight, lift the dumbells to your shoulder level (right above each shoulder) in a controlled manner, lift the dumbells straight up, so they meet above your head. the lift should be performed slightly behind your neck. Bring the weights down in a slow and controlled manner. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!! If you are not controlled, you will hit your head with a dumbell, it is extremely painful and could cause an injury or possibly death. Once again, I am not responsible for any injuries that happen because of my workout Program. once they are back resting right above your shoulders, slightly back, repeat the appropriate amount of repetitions.

tricep pushdowns: 3 sets, 8-12 reps. using the lat bar, grip your hands close to the center on either side, set the desired wieght. Grab the gar and pull it straight down. Don't let your back crouch, remain completely still. Instead of returning to the starting position on the first rep, only return it to the maximum amount of reach your elbows has (in other words your elbows and above should not really more the whole exercise, other than the first and last rep) push the bar straight down. let up, repeat. keep everything controlled. If you feel pressure in your stomach/ Groin area, YOU ARE LIFTING TOO MUCH LIGHTEN THE LOAD IMMEDIATLY.

Now people the reason i say 8-12 repetions is this: If you do 8 and feel like you could have done more, then you're not pushing yourself, so you need to know it's okay to pump an extra rep or 2. On the other hand, if you dish out 12 reps, but your muscles get worn into the fatigue stage, this is extremely horrible for your body, therefore those type of people need to know that it is OK to drop a few reps.

Again, you will repeat this exercise routine 3x a week, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT do this more than 3x a week, you will become weak, fatigued and overall unhealthy.

Secondly, I will give you a series of running exercises to tone your legs, and make you faster, healthier and quicker on your feet.

When intertwined with the workout routine above, these should be done tuesdays and thursdays.

The Tuesday and Thursday Exercises.

grab a short (20-30 yards?) straight-away. Start on one side, sprint to the other, touch the "line" then sprint back. That was ONE. Do five then take a 1min 30sec break. Repeat three times. This will help your break out speed, and as we all know the breakout makes or "breaks" a game. After you are done with the sprints, you should pace yourself and jog a 1 1/2. Try not to stop, as you will want to build your endurance, the primary goal of this exercise. Once you are done with that, Run 3 more "there-back" sprints to end your day. You will probably be tired, as most people do not run this much in a day. It is OK, but relax after that, you don't want to hurt yourself.

Nutrition:

haha I'm not really big on nutrition, but for these plans you will NOT want to stop eating. If you do you will become fatigued and will get very ill. It is the worse thing to to. If anything you should eat more ofter, like six times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Coffey
Good job. I wanted to emphasize a little more on the nutrition part.

When eating make sure to eat many small meals through out the day. This is important because it increases your metabolism and helps you digest your food easier. There is nothing good about overeating- overeating often occurs because your so hungry that your body doesn't realise that it's already full, thus storing the extra food as fat. By eating smaller meals you can stop overeating.

At where I work people are always commenting on the fact that I'm contstantly eating. The people around me are working just as hard as me yet many of them are very overweight. When I told them that eating many times a day increased your metabolism they just laughed, but I'm living proof that it does work ( I know you don't know how I look but I'm quite thin, if not too skinny).

Drink water. As I'm typing right now I'm sipping on a bottle of Dasani. Get over to the store and buy some water. For four bucks I can get 12 bottles of Dasani, and probably even cheaper Walmart. Drink water, it is essential for every process in your body- we're %70 water anyway.

Speaking of Walmart, the now are giving you organic food options. A cheap way to get organic food, however I definetly prefer going to my local health food store instead (support local businesses, same applies to paintball).

Manage your calories. You should examine what you're eating and really think about what it's composed of. There are four food groups I currently have, the first being fats. Now, not all fats are bad. There are many essentials fats that the human body needs.

Second is carbohydrates, my favorite. Carbohydrates fuel your body, and different carbs fuel your body in different ways. A carbohydrate that is high on the glycemic index will increase sugar levels in the blood rapidly, while a carb on the low end of the glycemic index would increase your blood sugar slowly, over a long period of time. Sugar is an extremely high glycemic carbohydrate while mixed grains may be very low on the scale. You need and want to eat low glycemic carbs, these are the ones that will last and keep your energy going.

Third is proteins. As we all hopefully know protein is the foundation muscle developement. We need proteins and the amino acids they are made of in order for our body to construct muscle fibers. Anyway, eat lean proteins like chicken and fish- you can't go wrong with protein. Drink milk instead of juice, juice is water with a huge amount of sugar in it. No matter how natural the juice is, it's still filled with sugar.

Fourth is basically just fruits and vegetables with vitamins and minerals, but things that are mostly just made out of water. Don't take strawberry's with chocolate as an acceptable fruit- eat mostly vegetables.

The most acceptable meal is one with low-glycemic carbs and lean protein. Watch what you eat!

John Coffey
I really hope this helps everone in need of gaining strength, losing weight, or just wanting to be generally healthier. Good Luck and hope this works.
Thanks,
Mike.

P.S. If anyone feels like I should add something, just let me know!!!

Last edited by OMGitsSpags : 07-31-2006 at 06:54 PM.
OMGitsSpags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-27-2006, 11:30 PM #2
OMGitsSpags

no one likes posting comments....
Thanks alot guys....
Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 AM #3
!$moofy!

thx. maybe i should try these. Been hitting the twinkies pretty hard lately
!$moofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:41 AM #4
mad8
3-5-romeo

personal trainer FTW
mad8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 09:47 AM #5
paintballa49
R.I.P IEP

paintballa49 donated to help Peyton Trent
paintballa49 supports our troops
Good write up!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:37 PM #6
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
This is pretty much common sense but it makes things easier for people as it's laid out for them. Maybe sticky or at least try to keep it at the top of the list even though you can't up non B/S/T threads.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM #7
seiboob
get to the chopper

seiboob is a Supporting Member
im not quoting but here goes

bend your knees in such a way that your upper body comes down slowly and controlled, until your butt is appx 2 ft from the floor

incorrect, the squat movement should be started by pushing the hips back and lowering yourself simoultainously. and the concentric phase should be started by driving your hips foreward while trying to push your feet through the floor. if u start the squat by bending at the knees u should try this. u will notice an increase in weight within a few sessions.

but your muscles get worn into the fatigue stage, this is extremely horrible for your body

incorrect again, the way your body builds muscle and strentgh is the bonding of protiens to repair and build upon muscle. the only way to increase strength or size is to tear down your existing muscle by pushing yourself beyond the normal. muscle fatigue isnt a bad thing although nutrition is a key element.

and by the way i love the cardio although i wouldnt reccomend such a long jog. maybe 10 min. for the average person joging about 10 min should have them cover roughly 3/4 to 1 mile.

peace
andy
one case, one kill.
xsv fan # 1038
seiboob feedback
http://f10.putfile.com/7/18218430421.jpg
seiboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 07:42 PM #8
John Coffey

Good job. I wanted to emphasize a little more on the nutrition part.

When eating make sure to eat many small meals through out the day. This is important because it increases your metabolism and helps you digest your food easier. There is nothing good about overeating- overeating often occurs because your so hungry that your body doesn't realise that it's already full, thus storing the extra food as fat. By eating smaller meals you can stop overeating.

At where I work people are always commenting on the fact that I'm contstantly eating. The people around me are working just as hard as me yet many of them are very overweight. When I told them that eating many times a day increased your metabolism they just laughed, but I'm living proof that it does work ( I know you don't know how I look but I'm quite thin, if not too skinny).

Drink water. As I'm typing right now I'm sipping on a bottle of Dasani. Get over to the store and buy some water. For four bucks I can get 12 bottles of Dasani, and probably even cheaper Walmart. Drink water, it is essential for every process in your body- we're %70 water anyway.

Speaking of Walmart, the now are giving you organic food options. A cheap way to get organic food, however I definetly prefer going to my local health food store instead (support local businesses, same applies to paintball).

Manage your calories. You should examine what you're eating and really think about what it's composed of. There are four food groups I currently have, the first being fats. Now, not all fats are bad. There are many essentials fats that the human body needs.

Second is carbohydrates, my favorite. Carbohydrates fuel your body, and different carbs fuel your body in different ways. A carbohydrate that is high on the glycemic index will increase sugar levels in the blood rapidly, while a carb on the low end of the glycemic index would increase your blood sugar slowly, over a long period of time. Sugar is an extremely high glycemic carbohydrate while mixed grains may be very low on the scale. You need and want to eat low glycemic carbs, these are the ones that will last and keep your energy going.

Third is proteins. As we all hopefully know protein is the foundation muscle developement. We need proteins and the amino acids they are made of in order for our body to construct muscle fibers. Anyway, eat lean proteins like chicken and fish- you can't go wrong with protein. Drink milk instead of juice, juice is water with a huge amount of sugar in it. No matter how natural the juice is, it's still filled with sugar.

Fourth is basically just fruits and vegetables with vitamins and minerals, but things that are mostly just made out of water. Don't take strawberry's with chocolate as an acceptable fruit- eat mostly vegetables.

The most acceptable meal is one with low-glycemic carbs and lean protein. Watch what you eat!

John Coffey
John Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 11:47 AM #9
seiboob
get to the chopper

seiboob is a Supporting Member
nice post coffey, i wanted to elaborate on the nutrition but i didnt have the time.
one case, one kill.
xsv fan # 1038
seiboob feedback
http://f10.putfile.com/7/18218430421.jpg
seiboob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:05 PM #10
joes2joes

im sorry but running two days of the week is not going to make a noticable difference in speed. I run track for three seaosns each year and everyday i am running at least 5 miles+ and with other speed workouts incorporated. Even during this you may not see results. You must stay consistant and run everyday with maybe a day break. it isnt as easy as it sounds to "be faster". It comes with hard work and most of all hard running. running on a consistent basis will not only make you faster for the game but give you more energy and stamina to whihc is pretty essential. Hopes this helps some one
joes2joes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:53 PM #11
OMGitsSpags

coffey and seiboob----- thanks alot....i'm all upper body and speed, so i don't really concentrate too much on nutrition and I never lift with my legs. so you guys listen to them they DO know what they're talking about.

joes2joes---- It's not especially designed for speed, but it does help build. (unless you already run this much in which case it wouldn't)

also to coffey----there is a difference between "wearing and tearing" down your muscles, and fatigue on them. Fatigue is where you're so wiped that even the next day you're weak. Except for the first 2-3 weeks of training, this really shouldn't happen. Normal wear and tear right after lifting is normal but you shouldn't feel an extreme amount of discomfort.

and Yes, to some, this is common sense, but to others this might help them out so that's pretty much why I posted it.

Thanks for the comments, concerns, and correcting me in my weak spots,
Mike.

also to
Old 07-30-2006, 10:54 PM #12
OMGitsSpags

oh and I thought I was writing about drinking water, cuz, lmao, as I wrote this i drank 24 oz of it.

Thanks yet again.

EDIT: joes2joes, i guess i see what you mean, but i've improved my speed and i'm a pretty big kid, this may not apply to track stars and whatnot, idk i'll never be one.
Thanks again,
Mike.

Last edited by OMGitsSpags : 07-30-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:16 PM #13
kewlguy53403

Excellent Thread guys. I lost 120 lbs in a similar fashion. I used to be a L.I.P.P.!
kewlguy53403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:56 PM #14
OMGitsSpags

lipp?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM #15
Teege
Assassin

Well what if I concentrate on running, bench, and curls? I really cant do the other stuff. Plus my parents really wont support me on the nutrition part. They cant afford it plus they'll just think im dumb
Teege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:54 AM #16
joes2joes

i wouldnt worry about the nutrition too much. IF you work out hard enough like running alot it shouldnt be to bad. i personaklly eat way 2 much but dont really gain anything cuz it run it off
joes2joes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:22 PM #17
OMGitsSpags

Teege-- That would work, but if you have the curl bar, you can definitly work on your shoulders and triceps too. Just PM me if you want to know how. And I definitly know about the lack of support in the nutrition section....my parents are just as bad.

Joes2Joes-- True dat man. lol but i'm talking if they want to lose the weight.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:55 PM #18
Teege
Assassin

Yea, i pm'd you. I think ill concentrate with the curls, bench, running, and weightless stuff.
Teege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 06:13 PM #19
OMGitsSpags

talked to you
If anyone else needs help, don't hesitate to PM me
i'll be more than happy to help.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:55 PM #20
John Coffey

Somebody needs to add more information, possibly concerning supplements (Creatine, Glutamine, and of course Protein). This mostly concerns bobybuilders, but I could see some other supplements being beneficial in giving you a boost of energy in order to work out harder, or even work out at all. And by work out I mean doing any hard physical activity; biking, swimming, rock climbing, running, etc.

We need to keep posting in order to make it more likely that this thread will get a sticky.

John Coffey
John Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 12:09 AM #21
OMGitsSpags

it's been stickied yay
I'm sticky!!!!
haha....
I don't know anything about supplements.
Except that other than creatine and protein, I would never touch them. I'm iffy about those 2 as well.
After slightly under a year of lifting, I can bench 225.
I'm 15
And i'm all natural
Hey John Coffey you workout, i'm assuming.
What's your age and bench/how long you've been lifting,
PM me or something