Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 05-22-2006, 09:11 AM #1
third lobe
No Frills Just Kills

third lobe is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
third lobe supports DLX Technology
NPPL Tampa Reff's

I have to say this, from last year to this year there has been a dramatic drop in the quality of reffs in the NPPL.

At several points in the NPPL "Center Court" i saw the judges do crazy and outragous calls. they cared more about the players jerseys being "tucked" in than what was going on in the game.

What about one of the Dynasty players saying "Reff the ball came off the bunker and hit me" - the reff wiped him clean.

In a game that would have put Philly into the next round. the reffs aloud a player that was hit before he crossed the "50" to eliminate two players on the other team.

Let me not even get into the Miami Rage game where the reffs "took care" of the a "call" on a XSV player when one Reff called a Rage player clean and the other ref thought he meant the XSV player doing the run through so at the end of the game to figure it out Rage was told "it was a bad call" and "sorry". Thanx NPPL for the great reffs this year so far.

disclaimer: please dont start a flame war this is just what i saw in Tampa NPPL. ohh and sorry for spelling

-p

Last edited by third lobe : 05-23-2006 at 12:52 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2006, 09:15 AM #2
*AhhDerkaDerka*

Hello,
I really have to agree with you, at Huntington Beach there were just some Reff's that were out right horible. At Huntington Beach on the JT Field they were probally the worst Reff's to hit the NPPL. I am ashamed on how NPPL took anyone who wanted to Reff this year. I know a few players local that are NPPL Reff's and they are the worst of the worst. I have never seen in my life this bad of Reff's it is just so incredible that NPPL would take anybody to Reff and these guys even get paid to screw up. I am really ashamed I really wish NPPL would re-think there Reffing qualifications and try and do somthing better for Boston,San Diego and Las Vegas.
Just my two cents.
Thank You,Shawn.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:35 AM #3
denythesilence
Human Energy

denythesilence is a Supporting Member
denythesilence supports Team VICIOUS
denythesilence supports Team VICIOUS
denythesilence supports Bob Gurnsey
denythesilence is Legendary
denythesilence is attending Decay of Nations VI
The Ref's on the Angel field were dicks.

Adrien
Old 05-22-2006, 09:41 AM #4
MuPpEtMoWeR_569
White Boy Assassin

MuPpEtMoWeR_569 plays in the APPA D5 division
MuPpEtMoWeR_569 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
i would have to agree also on the chronic field one of our players played on and it was a 1 for 1 but instead the ref got pull happy and pulled 3 of our guys excluding the one that played on. I understand the 1 for 1 but pulling 3 guys for playing on is just stupid,the game didnt effect us going to the finals or anything but when your up 3 bodys and then a ref gets pull happy and causes you the game you tend to get a little pissed.All and all tho i had a great time and we'll be ready to win more than 1 game in vegas lol.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:21 AM #5
Worrsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by denythesilence

Adrien
I thought they were the best refs there though they may have been dicks but whenever i played they made good calls
Old 05-22-2006, 10:27 AM #6
tai_mishuu911
C Wells

tai_mishuu911 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
tai_mishuu911 is an NCPA National Champion
yeah i was watching the dynasty game where the guy is arguing with the ref about some rule where if they see the ball bounce off a bunker hes not out
wtf a hit is a hit that guy got hit twice the reffs were ****ty calling one for ones like crazy

RUSSIAN LEGION FAN #530 Feedback
Old 05-22-2006, 10:27 AM #7
Dearth_Vador28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrsniper
I thought they were the best refs there though they may have been dicks but whenever i played they made good calls
your teams win the games they played ont hat field?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:35 AM #8
SEVENTWOSEVEN
Free Legit

SEVENTWOSEVEN is a Professional paintball player
Quote:

Adrien
right out of my mouth
Old 05-22-2006, 10:37 AM #9
SEVENTWOSEVEN
Free Legit

SEVENTWOSEVEN is a Professional paintball player
Quote:

Adrien

and wtf is this **** about "if its close well jsut call u both out"

about 3 times at the torunament i mowed the guy first and he just kept running and shooting, and they were all obv. over the top shoot em in the face raw *** moves, and i still get pulled out. I say the refs sucked *** this year
Old 05-22-2006, 10:48 AM #10
paintballerguy13
Takin' care of bidness.

paintballerguy13 is a Supporting Member
paintballerguy13 is a founding member
paintballerguy13 posts videos on PbNation
paintballerguy13 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Welcome to PSP pre-2006.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:50 AM #11
Worrsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth_Vador28
your teams win the games they played ont hat field?
we won one and lost one on the field and got a penalty on the angel field also but most the games i watched were called fairly on the angel field
Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 PM #12
bushyman06
im one bushy man

bushyman06 is a Supporting Member
i HATE when someone doing a run through gets shot first, and they still call out the other people. its ****ed up
Old 05-22-2006, 01:01 PM #13
*AhhDerkaDerka*

Hello,
Almost everytime you do a run through and bunker someone its going to be bad news. If you are going to go bunker someone then know that its going to be a 1 for 1 even if he clearly turns on you. It is just the Reff's way of saying "I can't play the game, so I Reff".
Thank You,Shawn
Old 05-22-2006, 01:06 PM #14
shamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyman06
i HATE when someone doing a run through gets shot first, and they still call out the other people. its ****ed up
Solo judging a runthrough/bunker is probably the most challenging call to make. You have to watch two players at the same time, and figure out who got shot first, all in a split second. It's not easy, and a lot of judges take the easy way out and just call a mutual.

Not excusing the reffing in Tampa by any means. Just saying that this particular call is probably the hardest to make. And yes, I know you always got the other guy first
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM #15
xXZone_BrettXx

Its like the leagues switched on the reffing. PSP Refs have actually been pretty good this year, but I've heard alot of bad about the NPPL. When it all used to be opposite

I'll prolly try to get certified once Im of age
Old 05-22-2006, 01:20 PM #16
bushyman06
im one bushy man

bushyman06 is a Supporting Member
****, during a run through, ide rather see both players taken out, but ive seen refs let the guy keep running and bunker like 2 more people, THEN pull them all.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:47 PM #17
MorNin
Fokai

MorNin owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
I Didnt like the Ref #11 on the NPPL field, In My opinion he made a couple wrong calls
Old 05-22-2006, 02:48 PM #18
RMartin
I <3 My Arm Band

Just from what I watched, it's clear the league isn't putting out the effort to really train refs. In one instance, the game was over. The players were aware of this. But they individually stood up, shouldered their guns, and gave each other a shot to the face. There was no mistaking that they knew the game was over, anyone who was going for an elimination wouldnt be standing straight, or just give a single shot. The refs didn't do a thing - just counted bodies. If I'm not mistaken, that kind of thing is a suspension. But refs didn't want to make those calls - and this was on the spyder field, where it was all pro-players.

If the league really wants to follow up with more ESPN coverage, they need to regain credibility. They have to put out the effort to make sure refs don't allow players to shoot from the dead box, that players actually leave the field when they're eliminated instead of allowing them to argue calls, that refs don't get bullied into giving teams the calls they want, or that refs won't actually curse at players. All of which happened this weekend, pretty often. Again, if the league wants more ESPN - let alone pleased teams, it would be a wise decision to at least get refs comparable to those in the NXL for the pro division and hope the change impacts the rest of the league.

I won't blame the refs themselves, for a few reasons. They probably haven't received the greatest training, and they probably aren't taken care of - or at least not in the same way as the NXL refs... you know, the best ones out there who actually have some players calling themselves out on bounces to prevent penalties.

My post would be pretty pointless if I didn't think the league was more than capable of doing something about it. So what do I think? Well, where do we start... first, the grand stands. Last year they were free, this year, 10 bucks. This past weekend there was a minimum of 800 people, and I can't estimate group sizes for my life, so I'm low-balling. Take that 800 bucks and multiply it by 10, poof, 8 grand per event that wasn't there last year. Now, I haven't kept track of all the prize money or entry fees, but chances are none of that money is going to train better refs...

On the other hand, I don't know how much they're paying Artie Edmunds or any of the announcers/interviewers. However, if I have to choose between someone asking a team "Where will you guys break to next game?" or other equally absurd/generic statements and refs that have the knowledge and guts to make the correct calls on the field, the people with the microphones are getting let go, ASAP.

The league needs to let some of the flash and nonsense go.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:58 PM #19
TzeentchianGod
aka Sentinel

TzeentchianGod is a Supporting Member
TzeentchianGod supports Cereal Killerz 2
The league is responsible for the quality of the reffing. If they made it a priority, you know it'd be better. Unfortunately for the fans, they don't. That cheapens the integrity of the outcomes, cheapening the sport, and putting us more into the category of professional wrestling instead of a legitimate sporting event.

If anybody from the NPPL is reading this, that's the road you are going down. Give Dan Perez real support, get him a real reffing staff, and your league will be the best. Period.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:18 PM #20
-DD-Freak
HK 4 EVA

the reffs on the empire feild ****ed HK over, in the game they lost and got eliminated by.

19 positive feedbacks! 0 negitive!
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=24895738..post24895738"]
Old 05-22-2006, 03:20 PM #21
-DD-Freak
HK 4 EVA

btw i think NPPL is going down the drain, 10 to get into grandstand? wtf was that?

19 positive feedbacks! 0 negitive!
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?p=24895738..post24895738"]