Community Focus

Old 02-13-2013, 10:48 AM #1
sillyhooligans...
reppin' the 704

sillyhooligans... owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
sillyhooligans... is an NCPA player
sillyhooligans... plays in the APPA D5 division
Protective film for lenses

So while playing over the weekend I was using my new Eflex/proflex revolution mask which has a mirrored lens on it. I took a paintball to the top part of my lens and when I got off the field I noticed a perfect circle from where the paintball had hit me and scratched the lends. Which means either the mirror scratches way to easily or somebody was over shooting a tad. This got me thinking though, why not have a protective film that you can place on your mask. Similar to the ones you put on your phone to keep it from scratching. Just a clear plastic that can be easily applied and removed that doesn't affect how the lens performs. It works great on my phone, keeps the screen nice and clean and free from scratches. When it gets to banged up I have a replacement film waiting to take its place. Maybe these are already out, and if they are please feel free to point me in their direction, but I feel like it wouldnt be a hard thing to make/implement.

Any thoughts?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2013, 03:31 PM #2
Mr Idiot Box
Stock Classy

Mr Idiot Box plays in the PSP

Last edited by Mr Idiot Box : 02-13-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Mr Idiot Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM #3
dapoofyhairdude
http://goo.gl/W9DoA

dapoofyhairdude is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
dapoofyhairdude has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
like the ones that are advertised to withstand hammer blows and are lifetime guaranteed? like we'll never ever have to buy a new lens again?

someone get one this please.
dapoofyhairdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 PM #4
xxerexx
GIR

There is at least one company making one. I just saw a demo of it last weekend, I can't remember the name though. Said the cost would be around $3-4 for one.
xxerexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:53 PM #5
dapoofyhairdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxerexx View Post
There is at least one company making one. I just saw a demo of it last weekend, I can't remember the name though. Said the cost would be around $3-4 for one.
$3-$4 to save a $30-$40 lens? take my money
Old 02-13-2013, 06:00 PM #6
dapoofyhairdude

actually, these guys sell something cosmetic, but I'm sure it protects the lens too

http://www.goggleskinz.com/
Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 PM #7
sillyhooligans...
reppin' the 704

yea Ive seen the ones that have the designs but I feel like that could effect the level of vision you have and plus I got a mirror lens for how it looks. It cant be that hard to make these clear though. If they can do design ones surely they can do clear protective films.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:14 PM #8
sillyhooligans...
reppin' the 704

It just seems logical to have these
Old 02-14-2013, 10:02 AM #9
Mr Idiot Box
Stock Classy

With the Proflex you can use dirtbike rip offs. they cost about $2-$5 each some have a chrome finish to. I guess you can cut the tab off so it's not flopping around.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:35 AM #10
dapoofyhairdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idiot Box View Post
With the Proflex you can use dirtbike rip offs. they cost about $2-$5 each some have a chrome finish to. I guess you can cut the tab off so it's not flopping around.
do you mean use dirtbike lenses? that sounds quite sketchy.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM #11
Mr Idiot Box
Stock Classy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapoofyhairdude View Post
do you mean use dirtbike lenses? that sounds quite sketchy.
no just the film that goes over the lens.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNbTmHsO9I they have them in the shape of the JT lens.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:39 PM #12
Bosch
BST lurker

Bosch has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Bosch has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
you can buy clear bra, that they use for cars. I think you can get sheets, the thinest gauge should work. not sure how it will effect vision.

http://www.clearbrapro.com/products.html

I also thought about using window tint, but I dont know if its good on plastic or need glass.
Bosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 PM #13
sillyhooligans...
reppin' the 704

I think the only problem with this is the start up costs. With the way the economy is and paintball already being expensive it would be hard to promote from outside a major brand. Maybe someone from KEE or Dye will see this and get on it...but I doubt it. I'd say PE but they don't even have their own masks.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:59 AM #14
Mr Idiot Box
Stock Classy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyhooligans... View Post
I think the only problem with this is the start up costs. With the way the economy is and paintball already being expensive it would be hard to promote from outside a major brand. Maybe someone from KEE or Dye will see this and get on it...but I doubt it. I'd say PE but they don't even have their own masks.
They have no incentive to do so. Not when they can charge you for a new lens. Maybe a company like HK. They like to take an existing product sell it for twice the cost by putting their name on it. Not hateing, its smart business. Your best bet would be to try the MX pull offs and cut the tab off that allows you to rip it off with MX gloves on. They are cheep and designed for lenses so they don't effect you vision. 3M clear shield is not designed to come off. The MX pull offs are.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM #15
i EaT yEaRbOoKs....
O city

i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... plays in the PSP
i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... plays in the APPA D4 division
One of the main problems with putting a protector over the lens is that it's plastic. Just like applying tint to a plastic window it doesn't work. Plastic releases out some kind of gas that creates air under the tint causing air bubbles.

I'm free
Pick me up
Ill be in frisco,TX
i EaT yEaRbOoKs.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 PM #16
boomerrw

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyhooligans... View Post
So while playing over the weekend I was using my new Eflex/proflex revolution mask which has a mirrored lens on it. I took a paintball to the top part of my lens and when I got off the field I noticed a perfect circle from where the paintball had hit me and scratched the lends. Which means either the mirror scratches way to easily or somebody was over shooting a tad. This got me thinking though, why not have a protective film that you can place on your mask. Similar to the ones you put on your phone to keep it from scratching. Just a clear plastic that can be easily applied and removed that doesn't affect how the lens performs. It works great on my phone, keeps the screen nice and clean and free from scratches. When it gets to banged up I have a replacement film waiting to take its place. Maybe these are already out, and if they are please feel free to point me in their direction, but I feel like it wouldnt be a hard thing to make/implement.

Any thoughts?

The problem is not the mirrored lens. It seems to be with eflex lenses in general.

Two weekends ago i had an indoor tourney and purchased a new clear lens for my eflex that morning. Chrono limit was 280 & so most were shooting 260-270s so they wouldnt receive hot gun penalties. Everyone was chronoed walking on the field.

Our first game i was playing back corner & was shot all the way across the field by my mirror. i go wipe my lens with a clean microfiber & notice a circle right where i was hit. the coating seemed to be peeling off the lens.

I hope they solve this issue
boomerrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM #17
Fuerte

Fuerte owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
On my cars headlights and fog lights I used a product called laminx, just a thick clear vinyl which doesn't really affect the vision. Thinking of buying a sheet of it and applying it to my lenses. Only concern is when removing the cover is it taking the coating with it. I know it can take the hits since It has stopped good quarter size rocks from cracking my lenses which are made of glass on fog ligths at 90 MPH so I think it can take a paintball.
Fuerte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 PM #18
WillIbe

As someone said, mx tear-offs were sold and marketed for paintball use a while back, and sold by JT I think, more so in the days of Hyperball when splatter could really be an issue.

All JT spectra lenses do this, clear, amber, mirror, its just a fact of life

The headlight stuff sounds like a good idea, just as long as it doesn't weaken the Lexan if it uses adhesive

I don't think it's necessarily a 'coating', but rather a characteristic resulting from the way the material reacts to impacts which makes it shatterproof

And since nobody's said it, stop getting shot in the face and you won't have an issue...
"Originally posted by PBMT: Oh, and btw, you worrying about grammar on internet forums is like watching a special olympics race judge yelling at a contestant for going outside of his lines on the track...no one cares and you look like an idiot doing so."
WillIbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM #19
dapoofyhairdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillIbe View Post

And since nobody's said it, stop getting shot in the face and you won't have an issue...
Giggle.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:17 AM #20
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
The thing is, these lenses aren't made to take infinite impacts to the face. You may save your lense from scratches but it might take physical damage you can't see and then just crack one day, which could be bad.

Mirror lenses scratch much much easier than non mirror lenses. The mirror coating just can't be made durable enough when its like 1 micron thick.

Mirror lenses have always been and will always be a tradeoff between style and enduring style. A dark smoke lens will look good much longer than a coolguy mirror lens, but the mirror lens might be worth the more visible scratches for the cool style it offers.
Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 AM #21
Fuerte

Fuerte owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Person View Post
The thing is, these lenses aren't made to take infinite impacts to the face. You may save your lense from scratches but it might take physical damage you can't see and then just crack one day, which could be bad.

Mirror lenses scratch much much easier than non mirror lenses. The mirror coating just can't be made durable enough when its like 1 micron thick.

Mirror lenses have always been and will always be a tradeoff between style and enduring style. A dark smoke lens will look good much longer than a coolguy mirror lens, but the mirror lens might be worth the more visible scratches for the cool style it offers.
It isn't getting shot to the face more the splatter since we have more more rec/woods ball. I have detergent just for microfiber towels since I am big into auto Detailing, and my towels come out clean and lint free but almost every time I go to wipe my lenses of splatter I notice swirls. It just erks me. Going to call the laminx place and see if it does harm the plastic.
Fuerte is offline   Reply With Quote