PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM #1
zz rai
One and only

has been a member for 10 years
Sweet Spotting the regulator

Hey guys, I do apologize if this has been asked many times already. This is my first Autococker, and I just finished restoring and timing my 03 Prostock and will be playing it this weekend. I have been doing a lot of researching on how to sweet spot the regulator, but I cannot seem to find a definitive answer for a starting point.

I read to zero out my CP regulator. Check, done that.

But what I cannot have a definitive answer is where do I set my IVG? Some information say to turn it flush with the body, others say 2-3 turns in, etc. So this would be my question: Where should I set my IVG in contrast with my zero'ed out CP reg for a good start on sweet spotting my reg?

And once the above is answered and done; I start upping the pressure to where it levels, and if it is not at my desired velocity (say 250ish), I can turn the IVG up to increase the velocity?

Many thanks for all the advice.
zz rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2013, 08:52 PM #2
KronicCocker

Yep.. You can start flush, or a few turns in. Zero out the reg and when you notice it's not increasing pressure but decreasing instead you then adjust the ivg accordingly.
KronicCocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:01 PM #3
Dk-79
SCHWING!

Sweetspotting is basically a bell curve, at the peak is the highest FPS, while using the lowest dwell, or hammer force on the valve.

As you're raising the pressure, the FPS will heat a peak, and begin to fall. If this peak is too high, or over 300FPS, you need to back out the IVG 1/4 to a 1/2 turn, re-zero the CP, and start over again.

If the peak is too low, zero the reg, give the IVG a 1/4 to 1/2 turn, and try again until the peak is just at where you want it to be. Teeny tiny increments in the reg pressure go a long way when you're at, or around the peak FPS.

If you find that you have to tighten the IVG more than four or five complete turns into the body from flush, you should buy a spring kit and use a heavier spring. The same goes if the IVG is flush, and you're still able to break 300, you'd need a lighter hammer spring.
Dk-79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:19 PM #4
zz rai
One and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronicCocker View Post
Yep.. You can start flush, or a few turns in. Zero out the reg and when you notice it's not increasing pressure but decreasing instead you then adjust the ivg accordingly.
Okay, thanks guys! I will start flush with the IVG and zero'ed out CP reg and see how it goes from there.
zz rai is offline   Reply With Quote