Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM #1
ReynardHonda

G4 Upgrade Feedback

I'm looking at installing a TechT HE bolt engine and an A.P.E. Rampage board on my G4. I don't play tournaments so used primarily for Rec Ball and Outlaw Ball. In theory the stock G4 for my purposes is sufficient but none the less I want to upgrade in order to gain any advantage I can since I'm old, over weight and out of shape. I can't count on me for an advantage so...

I don't have a lot of time to tinker and dial in my marker, nor do I have a great amount of knowledge to dial in dwell etc. This is the reason for the A.P.E, I like the idea of the auto tune for such things.

My question centers around the board for both my purposes and resale value, if and when I decide to upgrade the marker.

I don't really care for the OLED grips provided with the board and I would like the flexibility to add an aftermarket grip or replacement stock grips down the road. For these reasons I was looking at the standard A.P.E rather then the OLED. The OLED does have more features but they seem to be features that would be wasted on someone like me. That being said however, is the extra money worthwhile when it comes to resale? I know you can never recover upgrade costs when selling. It's really more about ease of resale I am referring to. In other words would the OLED make the marker more attractive to a greater variety of players then the standard A.P.E. when I sell?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
ReynardHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM #2
Trigger Finger
Yetipb.com

Trigger Finger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger is attending Decay of Nations VI
to be honest the resale value on DP markers in general is poor. you can put all the money in the world into one and you wont be able to sell it for more than 250 used. as for the upgrades, i would definitely get the techt bolt to increase the efficiency. the ape board is more of a preference thing. if you dont like count lights then i would go with the oled.

My Gear Bag Sale!!! Click Me!
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:23 AM #3
CA_Tectonics

I would suggest doing a little research first before making any purchases. Both aftermarket items you have listed are good parts and work very well for what they were designed for. However, based on your statement about the OLED board, you should look into it first. I say this because the Tune Assist (NOT auto tune) DOES NOT automatically tune your marker for you. You will have to take some time to dial in and tinker a little to set up the marker correctly and for optimization.

The OLED screen itself just makes it easier to program but the APE LED board is just as good and you won't have to worry about those flat grips - I don't like them either. The TechT HE bolt is probably the best upgrade you could get for your marker but, as I eluded to above, to get the full potential benefits of the bolt, it takes time to tune and tinker a little.
– 7th Element board, TechT bolt engine, magnet trigger kit, REV-I PMD, Sly Dual Carbon barrel kit, Prophecy V2, Crossfire SS 68/4500
Black and Silver Dangerous Power F8
– APE Rampage board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, F8 gauge, REDZ barrel kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
Polished Aluminum and Red Dangerous Power F8
– Virtue board, VS bolt, magnet trigger kit, Halo B w/ Exalt feedgate, PMI 68/4500
CA_Tectonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:52 PM #4
Yeti6669
Shoot 'em in the Face

Yeti6669 donated to help Peyton Trent
Yeti6669 supports our troops
Yeti6669 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Yeti6669 is a top reviewer
Yeti6669 is Legendary
They are good upgrades but they still require some tinkering on your part
Yeti6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM #5
liverlip

has been a member for 10 years
Check out the 7th Element OLED. It is ~half the price of the APE OLED and the grips are way better in my opinion. And definitely get the TechT HE bolt.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
liverlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:15 PM #6
Yeti6669
Shoot 'em in the Face

Yeti6669 donated to help Peyton Trent
Yeti6669 supports our troops
Yeti6669 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Yeti6669 is a top reviewer
Yeti6669 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverlip
Check out the 7th Element OLED. It is ~half the price of the APE OLED and the grips are way better in my opinion. And definitely get the TechT HE bolt.
The screen is also smaller, floats in the grip housing and relies on a fragile ribbon cable. I have had both boards and they each have their benefits and shortcomings.
Yeti6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:16 PM #7
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti6669 View Post
The screen is also smaller, floats in the grip housing and relies on a fragile ribbon cable
And if like my regular Seventh Element board, you may have to buy a new trigger too.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 PM #8
liverlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti6669 View Post
The screen is also smaller, floats in the grip housing and relies on a fragile ribbon cable. I have had both boards and they each have their benefits and shortcomings.
I had the APE first and I hated the grips. I tried the 7th Element and stuck with it. Other than the floating screen (annoying, but fine once it is in and the grips closed), I give the nod to 7th Element.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM #9
liverlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteGargoyle View Post
And if like my regular Seventh Element board, you may have to buy a new trigger too.

I did not change my trigger when I put a 7th Element in my G4.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 11-11-2012, 09:22 PM #10
GraniteGargoyle

GraniteGargoyle is attending Decay of Nations VI
GraniteGargoyle supports Empire
Got mine for my G3. Prolly different from the 4. Could prolly Velcro the screen to the grips in some manner.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:41 PM #11
liverlip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteGargoyle View Post
Got mine for my G3. Prolly different from the 4. Could prolly Velcro the screen to the grips in some manner.
There actually is a spot for it. Once it is nestled in and the grips closed it stays. It is even worse when you add the rf kit for the hopper.

][nvert User IS A THIEF
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 AM #12
xmc1146

xmc1146 is for the Gunfight
xmc1146 supports Ninja Paintball
xmc1146 owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
all in al the decision will come from the person that wants to but it.
xmc1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:13 AM #13
Trigger Finger
Yetipb.com

Trigger Finger has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Trigger Finger is attending Decay of Nations VI
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverlip View Post
I did not change my trigger when I put a 7th Element in my G4.
i had to get a new trigger for mine because the microswitch was to far away from my stock trigger activation point. it just gave me an excuse to get new one anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by liverlip View Post
There actually is a spot for it. Once it is nestled in and the grips closed it stays. It is even worse when you add the rf kit for the hopper.
my screen moves around on me all the time. i absolutely hate that it isnt stationary. my biggest complaint though is the grips are way too blocky. i prefer thinner grips.

My Gear Bag Sale!!! Click Me!
Trigger Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:36 PM #14
ReynardHonda

Thanks for the advice, you guys rock.
ReynardHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM #15
i8somepie
Michael Pasztor

i8somepie is an NCPA player
i8somepie plays in the APPA beginner division
I would definitely get the engine if you are looking to squeeze a better shot out of it.

For me, I decided not to get the OLED for my Spec-R. I don't mind counting the blinks and shooting 12 bps instead of 12.5 bps. The stock board is simple with 6 different adjustments with what you would need to fine tune the gun with a little knowledge.

The APE OLED board is a beast though for sure, just not necessary for me at this point.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:04 AM #16
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 plays in the APPA D3 division
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
the ape board is the best on the market, period. i own virtue boards, tadao, dp, dye, etc and the ape in my g3 smokes all them in quality and programming.

the stock g4 board will work just fine for your purpose though, all you need to adjust is the dwell. the ape board might confuse you with all its settings (trigger settings, eye settings, etc etc. things you wont ever need to adjust)

If I were you, i would buy the HE bolt and ignore upgrading the board. Slap the HE bolt in and leave the dwell at stock. After you have put a few cases of paint through it go and drop the dwell down to 11 or even 10 if you want. just make sure to go to the cronograph after you do and check your velocity. if the velocity drops significantly or your consistency gets worse, you went to low on the dwell. The stock bolt likes 11-12ms and the techt bolt should work fine at 9-10 BUT this all depends on how worn in the marker is, battery life, what grease you are using, what barrel to paint match your using, etc.

To make it simple - dwell 12ms with HE bolt DONE. the gun will shoot better on all levels.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote