Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 PM #1
DISOWNED

QUESTIONS About Bolt on 09 SLG

ok i know the bolt on the 09 slg has been breaking on alot of them and dye will take care of you but does anybody know if they replace it with a metal bolt or if they make a upgraded metal bolt for it thanks
DISOWNED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-28-2008, 09:04 PM #2
smasher41
I'm back!!

smasher41 is a Supporting Member
smasher41 is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISOWNED View Post
ok i know the bolt on the 09 slg has been breaking on alot of them and dye will take care of you but does anybody know if they replace it with a metal bolt or if they make a upgraded metal bolt for it thanks
I talked to billy Wing for a while about the new SLG's both over the phone and at cup. I brought up the plastic bolts snapping question and he mentioned they are looking into a metal alternative again that will still be a light as the composite version, but not for the bolt snapping issues, but the metal can be made thinner and just as strong, and will help with air flow restrictions that the current bolt design has. I didnt get a chance for him to elaborate on this, but i think it he may be refering to the fact that the SLG design has a narrow range of FPS adjustment ( many cant work well under 230-240 fps, and reball users need this lower velocity.)
As of now any replacement will still be composite but later replacements may be a metal variation.
I believe there was just misformed batch of them cause I know of several older slgs with this bolt that have been seen a lot of use without breaking.
those that have reported breaking seem to have had this problem within the first couple thousand shots.

My FeedBack 40 positive feedback!

Member #155 on PBN
smasher41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 PM #3
KMA

KMA is a founding member
KMA supports DLX Technology
The 09 SLG UL can be a huge seller for Dye, so it would be unfortunate if these bolts keep breaking. If they do, Dye should allow anyone with a composite bolt to send it back for a metal replacement whether it is broken or not. No one wants their gun to go down when they're least expecting it.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:17 PM #4
Talent
Imma Beast

i wish i wouldve read this before because the first day i shot my slg it broke...do u know why they are breaking so easy
Overlook Factory #187... Swagger Jackin

R.I.P. Made In New York
Talent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:23 PM #5
dragon1291

dragon1291 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dragon1291 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
each story i read about the bolt breaking, about 2/3 have a easy explaination. Stress on the bolt one way or another. Either air pressure or pressue from an outside souce, such as a pinched balll
dragon1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:47 PM #6
smasher41
I'm back!!

smasher41 is a Supporting Member
smasher41 is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
The 09 SLG UL can be a huge seller for Dye, so it would be unfortunate if these bolts keep breaking. If they do, Dye should allow anyone with a composite bolt to send it back for a metal replacement whether it is broken or not. No one wants their gun to go down when they're least expecting it.
Agreed. however, only a handful have reported breaking bolts, and litterally over thousands have been sold already, think about it, someone runs into a problem, they go looking online to post or ask for help so the problem appears worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talent View Post
i wish i wouldve read this before because the first day i shot my slg it broke...do u know why they are breaking so easy
the point thats breaking is the thinnist/weakest link in the bolt. hell, just too much torque on the bolt tip can cause too much stress on the bolt leaking to failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1291 View Post
each story i read about the bolt breaking, about 2/3 have a easy explaination. Stress on the bolt one way or another. Either air pressure or pressue from an outside souce, such as a pinched balll
yup, just like too much stress from being torqued down hard, being loose and catching a ball can put stress on the weak part causing fracture.

My FeedBack 40 positive feedback!

Member #155 on PBN
smasher41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:17 PM #7
DISOWNED

so not all the bolts are breaking just some of them are because i was thinking alot of them were breaking
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 AM #8
KMA

KMA is a founding member
KMA supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
Agreed. however, only a handful have reported breaking bolts, and litterally over thousands have been sold already, think about it, someone runs into a problem, they go looking online to post or ask for help so the problem appears worse.

the point thats breaking is the thinnist/weakest link in the bolt. hell, just too much torque on the bolt tip can cause too much stress on the bolt leaking to failure.

yup, just like too much stress from being torqued down hard, being loose and catching a ball can put stress on the weak part causing fracture.
I agree... we may not yet be able to confirm this is a widespread problem. But IMHO, these bolts should never break inside your gun. Not when you put too much back pressure, pinch a ball, or <insert other cause here>. It just shouldn't happen.
╚╝╚╩╩═╩╩╝╚
R&M Paintball - Headrush - BlackSheep
100% Positive Feedback
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM #9
shadoflame
i can pump 30 bps, no AT.

shadoflame owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
the problem is the quality control in taiwan. i talked to the tech about it. they have noticed that 1/1000 slg bolts are out of spec. Dye has a handful of in spec bolt tips in san diego for replacement.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:41 AM #10
DISOWNED

yea so i sent in teh bolt and got a phone call from then and dye is replacing the plastic bolts with a metal one i will have some pics soon