PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-29-2006, 11:01 AM #106
dyepsycho
Blue Belt

has been a member for 10 years
dyepsycho owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Suck it up oscarfest, thats not expensive. Around here, its 10 for entry including air, then 100 a case, or 25 a bag, FPO. And don't ***** about no airball, for christsake. All players want these days is airball, and they want to put 10 dollars in for the day, BYOP and give you up to 4 hours of work to set up and tear down, its just not worth it. If you supported your field more, and others did, maybe you would get what you think you need.
I'm sick of kids moaning about "high" paint prices and no airball. It won't be too long and fields will cater to rec-ballers only.
Where do you think fields get the money they make from? From tourney players who come in, pay ten dollars, moan about buying a case of paint, then sneak in another 2 cases? Hell no. The money that IS made in this buisness is from bachelor parties, birthday parties, get togethers, and REC BALLERS.
A different local field around here only opens to groups, because they got sick of tourney players wrecking fields, sneaking paint, harassing rec players (including over shooting them) and then *****ing about prices.
The major population of PBN needs to wisen up, they arn't gods gift to the paintball industry.

I know its been said before, but people just don't get it.
Help me twistedpbmom, you're our only hope.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:39 AM #107
oscarface

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlartyBartFast
Funny how no one would think of asking bar owners how to get cheap drinks and to set up a dance floor and sound system, but non-owners seem at ease asking field owners how to best setup a cheap backyard field. Or, would you walk into a bakery, complain about the prices, and then ask about the cheapest and best way to bake bread?
Ironic.
Look at the thread title. If you could have a decent backyard practice field you would turn it down?? There are several threads on the front page about making backyard fields.
Quote:
Sounds pretty cheap really. “Expensive” is in the eye of the beholder. I wish prices were like that for any of the fields around here.
I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, it also has a lot to do with location. If I lived downstate I could get a whole day (entry/air/Reballs) for $30.
Quote:
I’d forget about talking to the local field owner about help if I was you for procuring netting or supplies. They’d be stupid to help someone setup cheap competition. I’m not bashing, that’s just the truth.
It doesn't hurt. The paintball community here is pretty small so eventually he would hear if I had a field. If he has leftover netting and wants to be "stupid" with it, I'll take it.
Quote:
While long term you may save money. Short term, what’s your budget? How much is it going to cost for you to provide your own air? Air for others? How are you going to pay for the bunkers and netting? (Not only the new bunkers when you buy them, but the replacement bunkers for when those break or wear out.) Where will you get refs, how will you pay them? How much do you value your time and energy as you will have to organise and control the field?
As for how much you’ll really save, consider that a 5,000 dollar loan (that’s not a lot of money really) at 6% would cost you 155$/month for three years. Add to that your time and energy, what are you really saving? For the same money you can play twice a month at the local field.
A lot of questions in here (including those already answered, but I'll go at it. My budget currently is enough to definately start up. Air? I didn't take time to look at price options. I do know there is a store 10 minutes away that can fill and that was one of my original questions anyways. Bunkers? Already planned into startup budget. Replacements? Probably will ghetto fix or quit using them if they're that bad. I doubt they will wear out with how good I take care of my stuff. Refs? For a practice field, that was completely out of my mind. If somebody that's playing wants to take a break and ref, have at it. Other than that, really no need. My time and energy? Already own a leaf blower, so that will ease workload. I can definately set up a field in the almost 45 minutes it takes me to drive. A loan?? If I really need one, I won't go through.
Quote:
A common misconception on PBN is that if you’re not a business, you don’t need insurance. Well guess again. First, how are you going to pay off the investment in the field and equipment if you’re not going to charge the players anything to play?
I know that I would need to look into insurance and the legalities. Paying for the field?? Well I'd be saving $40 everytime I played and the gas money driving 80 miles.
Quote:
Secondly, regardless of whether you charge or not, you have a liability on your hands if you allow people to play paintball (or do any activity) on your property. I doubt that homeowners insurance would cover paintball related injuries on your property, certainly not if they were organised or regularly held games. And if anyone is injured, their medical insurance company IS going to come after you for as much money as they can get based on your liability/responsibility and running the field on your property.
Like it or not, the truth is that every backyard field is risking the homeowner’s savings and property. The same is true even of outlaw games. If the property owner gives even tacit approval they can be held liable. The organisers can also be held liable for the choice of land or the failure to follow safety procedures. If not by the player that is injured, then by the injured player’s insurance company trying to recuperate costs.
You may have the disposable savings and be willing to take the associated risks, but be sure you and your parents know what those risks and costs are.
Again I am aware of the insurance thing. It's not like I planned on building this tomorrow. I have yet to research that or have it answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyepsycho
Suck it up oscarfest,it's oscarfacethats not expensive. Around here, its 10 for entry including air, then 100 a case, or 25 a bag, FPO. I'm sorry that it's $25 more than what I have to pay?And don't ***** about no airball, for christsake. Maybe that's what I (and many others prefer). If I'm going to spend that much money I'd like to have some sayAll players want these days is airball, and they want to put 10 dollars in for the day, BYOP and give you up to 4 hours of work to set up and tear down, its just not worth it. I never said that's what it would take for me to forget about my own field. Up to 4 hours? I don't know about WI, but the local field here has bunkers always staked in the ground and just blows them up in 15-30 minutes.If you supported your field more, and others did, maybe you would get what you think you need.Maybe we would. I already put in quite a bit there this season alone and am rethinking my options. If you're telling me you've bought everything from your field/store than either you're lying or an idiot.
I'm sick of kids moaning about "high" paint prices and no airball. It won't be too long and fields will cater to rec-ballers only.I recall in the beginning of your post, you basically moaned about your situation. And as for airball; if that's what is there, I don't see why they won't blow it up.
Where do you think fields get the money they make from? From tourney players who come in, pay ten dollars, moan about buying a case of paint, then sneak in another 2 cases? Hell no. I never thought that. Niether have I snuck paint in.The money that IS made in this buisness is from bachelor parties, birthday parties, get togethers, and REC BALLERS.
A different local field around here only opens to groups, because they got sick of tourney players wrecking fields, Personally don't do.sneaking paint, Don't do.harassing rec players (including over shooting them) Still don't do.and then *****ing about prices.Yes I do, but then I go (or at least think) about doing something about it. You yourself were *****ing about prices. If the local field closes "because" of tourny players, I'll gladly let them play.
The major population of PBN needs to wisen up, they arn't gods gift to the paintball industry.
Post is already pretty long, so answers are in bold.

Edit:SlartyBartFest, you opened my eyes about the insurance alittle, I thank you.

dyepschyo, I really could care less about your 15 year old flaming. Don't lie to me. You not only work at a field (thus getting discounts) but claim paint costs are 70 at your local field. So I have a feeling it is even cheaper for you than it is me. Also you have been supposedly "involved" in paintball shorter than me.

Dye C8 Pants

Last edited by oscarface : 08-29-2006 at 11:50 AM.
oscarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:44 AM #108
dyepsycho
Blue Belt

most fields cannot afford to keep their bunkers staked into the ground overnight. Except for indoor fields. We've hand bunkers slashed, stolen, and generally destroyed. Every WI field I can think of has this problem, we talked it over with eachother, and decided the best bet would be to lock them up at night and then set them up if we have to in the morning.

plus people ***** about dirty bunkers.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:54 AM #109
oscarface

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyepsycho
most fields cannot afford to keep their bunkers staked into the ground overnight. Except for indoor fields. We've hand bunkers slashed, stolen, and generally destroyed. Every WI field I can think of has this problem, we talked it over with eachother, and decided the best bet would be to lock them up at night and then set them up if we have to in the morning.

plus people ***** about dirty bunkers.
Okay... I still don't see it taking 4 hours. Maybe for a 7 man field?

People ***** about dirty bunkers? Alright, so hose them off or wipe?

Dye C8 Pants
oscarface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 12:04 PM #110
dyepsycho
Blue Belt

Harder than that, obviously you've never set up an airball field.
Its AT LEAST 2 hours to set up a good airball field. For 5 man, you gotta haul out the center bunker, but wait! First you must measure out the field, pace it, or use the rolling tape. Then find the exact center, place your center bunker there. Inflate, stake. Measure, inflate stake, repeat. If you set it up right, it will take 2 hours, set it up wrong and you'll have uneven sides, and complaining teams.
Tear down:
Squeegee ALL the bunkers off COMPLETELY, tops, sides, bottoms. Then with a rag you must wash them by hand, then blast them clean with a hose. Then you have to let them dry, or hand dry them all. Then fold them perfectly. Then pick them all up and put them away, without dragging them.

I've done it every other sunday, believe me, its a 4 hour job.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:56 PM #111
SlartyBartFast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarface
Look at the thread title. If you could have a decent backyard practice field you would turn it down?? There are several threads on the front page about making backyard fields.
If I could have a practice field, no I wouldn’t turn it down. But look at the title of the FORUM. Field/Store Owners. Not “My Local Field is a Rip-off, How do I Play Paintball Cheap”.

Actually, your example of the “several threads” is what’s turning me off PBN and this forum. It has become more a whining competition about prices than a place for owners to discuss the business. More and more participants can’t tell the difference between the behaviour and topics discussed between 15 yr olds (Paintball Talk) and those discussed between mature vetrans and industry members (Field/Store Owners).
Quote:
I guess it is in the eye of the beholder, it also has a lot to do with location. If I lived downstate I could get a whole day (entry/air/Reballs) for $30.
And the only way that is at all possible as a viable business is because of volume. Eliminate volume, say by building a private field, and prices will not go down. Have a look at what your local field owner drives to the field. If it isn’t a Porche Cayenne, you can judge how fair the prices are and how accurately they reflect the price of running the field. You’ll have near the same fixed expenses as the field but without the volume of customers and income.
Quote:
Air? I didn't take time to look at price options. I do know there is a store 10 minutes away that can fill and that was one of my original questions anyways.
Any way you look at it, very expensive. How many times do you need to fill? Either you drive back and forth between games (there go your savings) or need extra paintball tanks, SCUBAs, nitrogen bulk cylinders, or a compressor. None of those are cheap and the money locked up in equipment might better serve invested and then spent at the local field instead.
Quote:
Bunkers? Already planned into startup budget. Replacements? Probably will ghetto fix or quit using them if they're that bad. I doubt they will wear out with how good I take care of my stuff.
EVERYTHING wears out. Bunkers out in the sun faster than most other equipment. So, you have to plan on completely refinancing your equipment purchase before the equipment goes past its useful life span.

Actually, Important business lesson >> This is why many businesses go bankrupt after what seems like a successful run. Equipment wasn’t amortized and included in required revenue and capital investment so there’s no capital to reinvest in replacements.
Quote:
Refs? For a practice field, that was completely out of my mind. If somebody that's playing wants to take a break and ref, have at it. Other than that, really no need.
If you already have a trustworthy group who will play regularly, you should be in a position to negotiate with the existing field for regular playing times and member discounts.

Quote:
My time and energy? Already own a leaf blower, so that will ease workload. I can definately set up a field in the almost 45 minutes it takes me to drive.
Really? Field owners seem to say otherwise. If you can do the work, how about trading your services and access to low maintenance players (no refs needed) with the field owner for use of the land and equipment for a lower cost than general entry and FPO?
Quote:
I know that I would need to look into insurance and the legalities. Paying for the field?? Well I'd be saving $40 everytime I played and the gas money driving 80 miles.
After the first couple of games on your own field you’ll sing a different tune. 40$ is nothing. Add up your time and investment in equipment and if you’re honest and value your time it’ll cost you more than 40$ per time.
To pay for the field, think about how many times you have to play at 40$ per time to payoff the costs before your “break even”.

Sorry if I’ve been overly negative. If it still sounds worthwhile to you, best of luck to ya.
SlartyBartFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:07 PM #112
PBballa8536
Purdue

PBballa8536 plays in the PSP
PBballa8536 is an NCPA player
PBballa8536 plays in the APPA D5 division
Need help with pricing for an indoor feild

I want to set up an indoor field at my church as an outreach project, and i was wondering what the total cost of one field would be.

Need:
feild- 3 or 5 man airball
fill station- 3000 psi (compressor? do i need one)
astro grass
netting
anything else i might need

thanks for the help

Andy
PBballa8536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:05 PM #113
Proto user2

insurane
paint
sand bags or .we to hold bunkers down
poles ot hold uip nets
Proto user2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 06:12 PM #114
blinkblue22

you could go with a cascade system to fill instead of a compressor it is, a lot cheaper than a compressor.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:13 PM #115
fAllout_oMen

fAllout_oMen donated to help Peyton Trent
fAllout_oMen helped look for balloons
fAllout_oMen is an NCPA player
help me out

give me an approxximation of how much the startup cost would be for a pb field w/ small proshop and 2 netted fields, regulation or slightly smaller xball field and a larger scenario field, which really wont be netted except for a small area (basically nothing)

Exclude land.

How much would 50,000 sq. feet cost. (land zoned for farming)

parents are thinking of opening a field for thep layers basiacally, just looking to break even and not too huge a prophit, our parents are well off as it is they dont need another job. I'd basically manage the business with about 5 other ppl. Not too large a field just your average small town gig but nice playing experience.
fAllout_oMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 11:30 PM #116
Paintballer5678

Ok well your first major problem is that the land is zoned for Agricultural and not Commercial so that is a problem in its self!

Agricultural means Farms, ranches or nurseries for the growing of plants and raising of livestock, which are not obnoxious or offensive. Also permitted are public service facilities such as churches, schools, libraries

that means paintball shops cant be opened there!

ok so start up cost

Air for a decent size comp say $7,000 for every thing
c02- $300.00
Air ball- $5,000.00 for decent bunkers!
depends on what u pur on on the scenario area
Netting im not sure
pro shop- depends on how much u want to stock, but figure if your are new you arnt going to get 30 day terms to pay your bills
and u also have your utilities, water, power that kind of stuff
I would figure a min of $ 20,000.00 to get a good place going!

u also have taxes on that land!
and idk the price on real esate on ohio

But again it really doesn’t matter because u need to get the land changed over to General Commercial and you man not be able to do that! So if not your out of luck!

and im just wondering if you know anying about manageing a business?

and i can tell you right now if u can make it work handel it your self/your family, no friends cuz friends in business its not the best thing in the world to do yea it sounds good to talk about it but in the real world it just falls apart!

as i say to alot of people u cant wake up one day and say i want my own paintball place it isnt that easy!

Good Luck!
Paintballer5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 08:22 AM #117
debo08080

I think it should be up to you to figure out how much it is goiong to cost to open the place like everyone else had to.
debo08080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:42 PM #118
fAllout_oMen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer5678
Ok well your first major problem is that the land is zoned for Agricultural and not Commercial so that is a problem in its self!

Agricultural means Farms, ranches or nurseries for the growing of plants and raising of livestock, which are not obnoxious or offensive. Also permitted are public service facilities such as churches, schools, libraries

that means paintball shops cant be opened there!

ok so start up cost

Air for a decent size comp say $7,000 for every thing
c02- $300.00
Air ball- $5,000.00 for decent bunkers!
depends on what u pur on on the scenario area
Netting im not sure
pro shop- depends on how much u want to stock, but figure if your are new you arnt going to get 30 day terms to pay your bills
and u also have your utilities, water, power that kind of stuff
I would figure a min of $ 20,000.00 to get a good place going!

u also have taxes on that land!
and idk the price on real esate on ohio

But again it really doesn’t matter because u need to get the land changed over to General Commercial and you man not be able to do that! So if not your out of luck!

and im just wondering if you know anying about manageing a business?

and i can tell you right now if u can make it work handel it your self/your family, no friends cuz friends in business its not the best thing in the world to do yea it sounds good to talk about it but in the real world it just falls apart!

as i say to alot of people u cant wake up one day and say i want my own paintball place it isnt that easy!

Good Luck!

you can request a zoning change application. We might even have property availible that we wont even have to pay for. WE'd just like a rough estimate so that i can tell the ppl who are going to start the field what there looking at. They just want a genral idea and thats all i needed. $20k plus land, but we might not have to pay for land or we'll have to do like 5% of prophits to the owners. Scenario field will consist of haybales, other stuff. Will ocst under 1k so no biggie and netting will only need to be a little section or so becasue we'll just block out the speedball and the staging area.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:43 PM #119
fAllout_oMen

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo08080
I think it should be up to you to figure out how much it is goiong to cost to open the place like everyone else had to.

like i said, just looking for a genral price-range, can ask and some1 can be nice and take 2 mins to type it out or i could look for 4 hours....
Old 09-07-2006, 08:01 PM #120
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is an Administrator
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy supports Bob Gurnsey
Figure in the ballpark of $50,000 to $100,000+ depending on a myriad of variables.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 08:02 PM #121
Paintballer5678

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fAllout_oMen
you can request a zoning change application. We might even have property availible that we wont even have to pay for. WE'd just like a rough estimate so that i can tell the ppl who are going to start the field what there looking at. They just want a genral idea and thats all i needed. $20k plus land, but we might not have to pay for land or we'll have to do like 5% of prophits to the owners. Scenario field will consist of haybales, other stuff. Will ocst under 1k so no biggie and netting will only need to be a little section or so becasue we'll just block out the speedball and the staging area.

ya i know around where i live u cant get the zoning changed, yea 20k and land if u need to pay for, that would get you guys up with a decent place but that including what u need in your store! so many 10k+ in stuff in the store. if you are in a good loacation and are nice u will do very good, but if your rude and dont take care of them they will go eles where!

for the scenario field look for theose the wire spools and that haybales are good untill they start to rott

but hey good luck!
Paintballer5678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:32 AM #122
SlartyBartFast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballer5678
haybales are good untill they start to rot
Just buy plastic wrapped hay. No rot.

Available as regular rectangular bales or big round bales.

SlartyBartFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:35 PM #123
md10holla

md10holla owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
sick
Old 09-26-2006, 07:25 PM #124
Pepay

Pepay owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Pepay supports Ninja Paintball
prices and info about making a feild

Hi i was recently considering to make a feild where i live because i live in up state NY, there is no indoor feilds here. The closest one is around 1 to 2 hours away. There is large amount of kids here who love to play including myself any owners able to help me with prices regulation size, turf, heating anything to help me get an idea? Thanks alot
Pepay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 PM #125
VApaintballer400
Business Instead of Game

VApaintballer400 is a Supporting Member
search around, there have been dozens of great threads on this exact topic. It is better to do a TON of research and then come up with specific questions.

Unless you have 100K+ i wouldn't even begin to think about an indoor field
Old 10-01-2006, 09:20 PM #126
Infectedygcap

t
Infectedygcap is offline   Reply With Quote