PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-14-2013, 04:38 PM #1
SweetsMcgee
The Walrus attack at noon

How do I get a D4 team up and running?

Hey guys, i have been playing paintball or a while and i want to go to the next level! haha i have a small team, enough guys to play 5 mans well and i want to get like a season together for us play. really just looking for help or a place to start learning to manage a proper team =) any help would be great!!
SweetsMcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2013, 05:06 PM #2
SweetsMcgee

all of this is in the St.louis area
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 PM #3
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bump_Pitch supports Ninja Paintball
Well all you basically have to do is make an appa team account and sign up your team members. Then register and play for tournaments. Have fun!
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:43 PM #4
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump_Pitch View Post
Well all you basically have to do is make an appa team account and sign up your team members. Then register and play for tournaments. Have fun!
Yup, all there is to it.
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM #5
pbbliss
Philippians 4:13

has been a member for 10 years
pbbliss is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
you can go to:

www.paintball-players.org

and they list all the tourneys that will give you APPA rankings.
just scroll down for ones around your area.

Of course a lot of local and regional tourneys don't use APPA and therefore you won't get any ranking up to D4 BUT you still get the experience so play those too.

I've played over 100 tourneys and less than half are on APPA.
pbbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:39 AM #6
simple_condolences

simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D5 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Throw a hornets nest at them.
NXL Referee 2015 -2015
NCPA Nationals 2015-
simple_condolences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM #7
kyle4236
Pro Dead Box Player

kyle4236 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
kyle4236 owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbliss View Post

I've played over 100 tourneys and less than half are on APPA.
Isn't that annoying? I did 5 years of tourneys mostly locals and a few nationals and on APPA I barely have jack to show for it. Oh well I guess it doesn't matter lol.

Gun whore
B'more Punishers
kyle4236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:33 PM #8
SweetsMcgee

haha thanks guys!! ill check out that Appa, and whats your guys thought on sponsorships ?
Old 01-15-2013, 04:45 PM #9
kyle4236
Pro Dead Box Player

Don't approach a sponsor until your team proves itself to be one worth sponsoring. You definitely don't want to go out there with a sponsorship and look like a jackass to your sponsors if you have your first sponsored event be a bad one

Gun whore
B'more Punishers
Old 01-15-2013, 04:56 PM #10
SweetsMcgee

Very true, thanks for the advice!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:08 PM #11
kyle4236
Pro Dead Box Player

No problem. Are you looking for a general guide to how to completely run/manage a team or just the tidbits of info you're getting in this thread

Gun whore
B'more Punishers
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM #12
SweetsMcgee

A general guide would be most helpful
Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 PM #13
Bump_Pitch

Bump_Pitch owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Bump_Pitch supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetsMcgee View Post
A general guide would be most helpful
check the tournament series stickes
Bump_Pitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:11 PM #14
GanjaPalooza
Double D

GanjaPalooza plays in the MiLP
GanjaPalooza owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
GanjaPalooza plays in the APPA D5 division
GanjaPalooza has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
My first step would be to make sure you have AT LEAST 5 DEDICATED players, so you do not get shafted in the middle of the season and things fall apart (you can always pick up players on the Forums but you never know what you get).

Ways to do this:

-Personally contact players in your area that you know would be interested and financially stable to play competitively. If you have a few friends already, good, and have them help you find more. If Little Tom gets his dough from his parents then that's okay! You just need to make sure whoever can dish out the money when it's needed...... and by God in Paintball, it's needed.

-Get on your Regional Forums and post up the deal! You would be surprised how many people are sitting online waiting for a team to start-up in their area (I live in Knoxville, TN and have literally made all my connections in this city on the Forums). Not only that, you will be able to see who practices where and when. You NEED players to get a team started, and you have to get the word out if you need more.

Just my quick .02........ Work has been horrid today PM me if you have any other questions
Old 01-16-2013, 09:31 PM #15
SweetsMcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaPalooza View Post
My first step would be to make sure you have AT LEAST 5 DEDICATED players, so you do not get shafted in the middle of the season and things fall apart (you can always pick up players on the Forums but you never know what you get).

Ways to do this:

-Personally contact players in your area that you know would be interested and financially stable to play competitively. If you have a few friends already, good, and have them help you find more. If Little Tom gets his dough from his parents then that's okay! You just need to make sure whoever can dish out the money when it's needed...... and by God in Paintball, it's needed.

-Get on your Regional Forums and post up the deal! You would be surprised how many people are sitting online waiting for a team to start-up in their area (I live in Knoxville, TN and have literally made all my connections in this city on the Forums). Not only that, you will be able to see who practices where and when. You NEED players to get a team started, and you have to get the word out if you need more.

Just my quick .02........ Work has been horrid today PM me if you have any other questions
I totally agree! i have 3 Solid plays and like you said i got the B team, how dose the money work with sponsors? like what do they normally pay for and what can i be sure ill always be payin for?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:06 PM #16
kyle4236
Pro Dead Box Player

Each sponsor is different and will pay for what they agree upon.

Gun whore
B'more Punishers
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 AM #17
MenosDaBear

MenosDaBear owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If you are talking sponsors from the paintball industry itself, then don't expect them to "pay" for anything until your team has proven itself over and over. You will most likely simply get discounted merchandise. As for local sponsorships, you might be able to get straight money out of them, but I cant imagine it would be much, and you would definitely need a portfolio of what your team has done, and why you deserve their money.
MenosDaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:23 AM #18
phant0m0
WC Remedy #6

phant0m0 is BST Trusted
phant0m0 plays in the PSP
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
phant0m0 plays in the APPA D4 division
phant0m0 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
It takes a ton of patience in managing peoples problems. when you see the same guys week in and week out sometimes tensions rise. Learning to manage that is paramount. The rest is easy.
phant0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:47 PM #19
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
Like everyone has said, make sure you have a dedicated core of players that you know you can count on. Start practicing and playing local events to build up experience. Scrimmage higher level teams and learn from them.

Some teams want to spend a lot on money on matching equipment and jerseys right away. I agree with having matching jerseys, but get some basic longsleeve tshirts to start off and either screen print or fabric paint your team name on it.

As for sponsors, go talk to you local shop. Have a decent resume prepared and have a plan for the season. Have a bio on each player and have a list of events planned for the team. Also, have a rough idea of what you want to do next season so that they know you are in for the long run. See if they can start you off with a discount on practice and event paint if you buy cases in bulk. As you develop a good relationship with your shop, you will both benefit from each other. Make sure they know you are promoting them. You can also talk to local businesses about sponsoring you. My team currently has our local pro shop, a local sports grill, a local clothing company, and a photography company. We don't get much money form each, but we get free media coverage, free basic jerseys and Tshirts for our team, some money and some free food and meeting place, and good discounts on paint and gear. Just get out there and talk to people.

For your team, i would suggest you guys pool paint at practice and have everyone pitch in the same. This is where getting a discount on paint comes in handy. This makes it fair so that your back players don't break the bank and it keeps everyone together in one pit. Shoot basic grade paint for practice.

Good luck and have fun.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:30 PM #20
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyballer099639 View Post
Like everyone has said, make sure you have a dedicated core of players that you know you can count on. Start practicing and playing local events to build up experience. Scrimmage higher level teams and learn from them.

Some teams want to spend a lot on money on matching equipment and jerseys right away. I agree with having matching jerseys, but get some basic longsleeve tshirts to start off and either screen print or fabric paint your team name on it.

As for sponsors, go talk to you local shop. Have a decent resume prepared and have a plan for the season. Have a bio on each player and have a list of events planned for the team. Also, have a rough idea of what you want to do next season so that they know you are in for the long run. See if they can start you off with a discount on practice and event paint if you buy cases in bulk. As you develop a good relationship with your shop, you will both benefit from each other. Make sure they know you are promoting them. You can also talk to local businesses about sponsoring you. My team currently has our local pro shop, a local sports grill, a local clothing company, and a photography company. We don't get much money form each, but we get free media coverage, free basic jerseys and Tshirts for our team, some money and some free food and meeting place, and good discounts on paint and gear. Just get out there and talk to people.

For your team, i would suggest you guys pool paint at practice and have everyone pitch in the same. This is where getting a discount on paint comes in handy. This makes it fair so that your back players don't break the bank and it keeps everyone together in one pit. Shoot basic grade paint for practice.

Good luck and have fun.
Pooling paint saves so much money
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:25 PM #21
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VIII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
It may be beneficial to start at the D5 level. If it is available to you.

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote