Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-26-2008, 05:02 PM #1
_V_

FAQ - For Those Just Starting And Those Well On Their Way.

This will be for answering all your basic questions. I just found it again on my comp.

So You Want To Learn How To Train Right

This is essentially going to lay out what you need to realize before you start and point you to some resources to get you started. Some basic truths.

Nutrition is easily the most neglected and most important aspect of training. For anything. You need to understand just what aspects of food make a complete diet. You dont like veggies? Dont eat meat? Frankly, you will have a very tough time. All things make up a solid and successful diet. Now Im sure many of you want to take supplements, things that will make your muscles grow like a ballon. Take it from the people who have been there and orient their lives around their time in the weightroom. A good, clean diet will make a bigger difference for you than a cycle of hard steriods will.

tl;dr - Nutrition is essential to your success.

Realize there is much more to lifting than just upper body. Getting jacked arms. Frankly, most people who lift to "impress the ladies" etc. do not last in this. There is no crime in enjoying the results and purring affection of the ladies but it should not be your main motivation. Curls, bench press, and tricep extentions do NOT cut it.

tl;dr - Workout more than just your upper body. Yes, that means your legs.

Realize that if it was easy, everyone would look like baywatch lifeguards or _V_. This is a long process and many times you wont see results for a while. Commitment, dicipline, hard work are all essential to your success. Not going to the gym because youre too tired, had a bad day, dont feel good is fine. If you dont want to go anywhere or get any results.

tl;dr - The weak and excuse makers will not cut it. Do or dont do, that simple.

Realize knowledge is power. Scroll down to the resources part of the FAQ and start clicking away and learning. One of the best books you can read, no matter what your goals are is this:

Phonebook sized and packed full of more information than youll never care to know.

tl;dr - Read and learn the why. It makes the how easy.

Simple Truths

++There is no miracle weight loss diet or pill.

++Spot reducing fat is impossible. IE, you cant get a 6 pack from doing crunches. It just doesnt happen. Abs come from the way you eat, basically have no fat.

++You do not need supplements. They are just that. A supplementation to your already stellar diet right?

++Many extreme supplement you see online that promise insane results are either a waste of your time and money, or if misused you could have erectile disfuction at 25.

++Weights are tools to building strength, not necessarily a measurement of it. Asking what people bench is usually considered a "noob" question.

++Eating nothing/drastically less will not help you lose weight. Smaller portions and exercise will.
Reducing calories to the point of starvation will have the exact opposite effect of fat-loss. Reduced caloric intake over a prolonged period of time will put the body into a state of conservation, protecting fat stores whenever possible. Not only will fat become harder to metabolize, but the metabolism in general slows down and energy plummets, reducing the ability to put effort into exercise and other physical and mental activity. Instead, a well balanced diet (approximately 40% calories from protein, 30% from fat and 30% from carbs) of approximately 2,000-3,000 calories a day combined with both weight training and "cardio" will reduce body fat and increase lean muscle mass.

++You can not influence how "tone" or "cut" your muscle looks by utilizing specific lifting protocols. Despite what the kids at school or your know-nothing trainer told you, light weight and high reps will not help you achieve this. Defined, toned and cut muscle is a direct result of the ratio of your lean muscle mass and body fat percentage. Building more muscle and lowering the amount of fat you carry is the only thing that will make someone look more "cut" or "tone." This is generally speaking as Im sure some punk will bring up the actual definitions but as far as you the average lifter are concerned, this applies.

++Lifting high weight/low reps is for mass
Depending on the protocol you utilize during training, you can influence what kind of progress you make. However, despite what that same friend and know-nothing trainer told you, lifting heavy weight with low reps won't pack slabs of muscle on you like those "freaky bodybuilders". In fact, professional bodybuilders tend to favor routines that involve higher reps, somewhere in the range of 10-15 reps per set. This has, for many years now, been a staple in the bodybuilding world. Low reps with high weights tends to demand more from nervous system, and much of the progress made using this sort of system comes in the form of strength, and less size.

More will be added.

The Halfass FAQ Until Matrixkid finds the other part.

You can PM him here to harass him. He says it will remind him to keep trying so please do.
https://www.pbnation.com/member.php?u=110509

+++"So, what supplements should I take?/Should I take ____________?"

"You dont need anything, you need to fix your diet. If you arent getting the results you want, its either the result of you not putting the work in, or you not eating the way you need to. Understand that changing to a perfect diet will make more of a difference for you than a cycle of steroids would. If you feel that you have to take something, and that all those guys who lift more than you ever will just dont understand that you are the exception and need to get big ASAP, basic stuff is fish oil pills, multivitamin, and whey protein. They are good for you, and basic and easy."

Frankly, if youre reading this and this all sounds new to you, you arent smart enough at the moment to really need supplements. You need to understand the nutrition behind them all to even apply them correctly. That takes time and reading, effort on your part. The FAQ has several good books for you to read if you want to pursue this further.

Last edited by _V_ : 12-04-2008 at 10:06 PM.
_V_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2008, 05:03 PM #2
_V_

++I want to take HGH, Steroids, Prohormones, or even a test booster.
-Dont. 95% of people asking this are not in need or even qualified to safely take it. For some of the heavier things, misuse can ravage your liver and give you erectile disfuction by 25, among so many other side effects. Steroids werent banned because they were unsafe, they were banned because they are so easy to misuse. One day, and the whole thing can go to ****. Also, keep in mind, you have to put in the work to see results. You shoot up and mess around, you wont see any kind of real gains.

++Fat Burning Supplements.
-Are crap. Fix your diet. You honestly think that there are things that eat fat out there? You really think these things are good for you? Basically, they are just stimulants like guarana or caffine, aspirin, and green tea extract. Thats it.

++List of "Advanced" Supplements.
-Im not going to make one. All of you will just assume you are a miracle exception to what Ive talked about and just buy whatever I list.

++Creatine & Whey Information
-Creatine Info.
Creatine Monohydrate is a naturally occurring compound found in the human body and obtained in the diet primarily from meat and fish. Creatine is a popular supplement among active individuals because of its ability to serve as an energy reservoir, especially during intense physical exertion. During short, intense burst of activity, the body breaks down adenosone triphophsate (ATP) into adenosine diphosphate (ADP) and phosphate for energy. Creatine helps the body convert ADP back to ATP, providing greater amounts of ATP for energy, which may increase short-term endurance and strength. Creating can also be stored for later use by cells, creating the "energy reservoir" active individuals desire.

You really need to read up on creatine before you start taking it. It isnt something you just cram into your body and grow muscles with. There is a science to it if you actually want results. Read, learn.

-Whey Protein info:
Whey Protein is a 100% natural protein concentrate of whey and is specially ultrafiltered under low temperature to be low in fat, lactose and carbohydrates. Whey Protein is a rich source of glutamine-rich biologically active proteins. Fifty-one percent of the proteins found in whey are from BLG (Beta-lactoglbulin), 20% of whey is ALB (Alpha-Lactalbumin), 10% Immunoglobulin, 10% Albumin, and 7% minor fractions (Beta-Microglobulin, lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase, lysozyme, lactolin and relaxin). Albumin is of particular interest to researches because of its elevated concentrations of glutamylcysteine, a precursor to the antioxidant glutathione.

Whey Protein supports muscle development because it is the richest natural source of BCAAs (Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine), important fuel components of muscle tissue. BCAAs are depleted from muscle tissue following strenuous exercise, which can cause catabolic loss of protein. BCAAs suppress proteolysis which is the breakdown of muscle tissue. BCAAs are important as a metabolic fuel for muscle and other tissues by their involvement in the alanine cycle (a process of energy production from BCAAs). BCAAs have been known to enhance performance in moderate as well as intense exercise by improving endurance. Each scoop (23 grams) of Whey Protein provides a total of 4.6 grams of BCAAs. No other source of protein provided as much BCAAs as Whey.

++"I need a workout to gets me hoooge!"

-This is entirely dependent on your goals. Many of the websites have sample workouts listed. It also depends on your personal schedule, diet, and work ethic.

Resources

www.bodybuilding.com - Information
www.buildingbrawn.com - Online Shopping
www.muscleandfitness.com - Information
www.menshealth.com - Information
www.t-nation.com - Information

That should get yall started.
Reading List

Arnolds Bodybuilding Encyclopedia - Arnold
Muscle Chow - Some guy whose name is irrelevant.
Unleashing the Wild Physique - Vince Gironda
Brother Iron, Sister Steel - Dave Draper
More to come.

PM me if I said something wrong or you have something to add.

Last edited by _V_ : 11-26-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 PM #3
_V_

Reserved. Just in case it gets THAT long.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM #4
KillerKid898
You can't kill integrity

has been a member for 10 years
nice job getting it back up
KillerKid898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM #5
ChaoticReign Pbt
Invulnerable

Good stuff. Now if even half of the retards we get in here sometimes read it, the world would be a better place.

Toy: 2009 Kawasaki ZX-14. DD: Stock 1996 5SPD XJ.

Fitchburg State College
ChaoticReign Pbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:52 PM #6
flarkey25
Raging Weasel

Nice... I'm having trouble thinking of anything to add really.

I think we should have a section devoted more to fat-loss, as that seems to be something a lot of people come in here looking for. Something along the lines of not sticking only to cardio and including strength training as well.
flarkey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:03 PM #7
vivalacan55
Listen to Fellow Can

vivalacan55 plays in the USPL
 plays in the NXL
vivalacan55 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by _V_ View Post
++Creatine & Whey Information
-Creatine Info.
Creatine Monohydrate is a naturally occurring compound found in the human body and obtained in the diet primarily from meat and fish. Creatine is a popular supplement among active individuals because of its ability to serve as an energy reservoir, especially during intense physical exertion. During short, intense burst of activity, the body breaks down adenosone triphophsate (ATP) into adenosine diphosphate (ADP) and phosphate for energy. Creatine helps the body convert ADP back to ATP, providing greater amounts of ATP for energy, which may increase short-term endurance and strength. Creating can also be stored for later use by cells, creating the "energy reservoir" active individuals desire.
i think you meant to spell creatine. other than that great thread.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:49 PM #8
RonnieColeman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarkey25 View Post
Nice... I'm having trouble thinking of anything to add really.

I think we should have a section devoted more to fat-loss, as that seems to be something a lot of people come in here looking for. Something along the lines of not sticking only to cardio and including strength training as well.
Thats something YOU can do you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivalacan55 View Post
i think you meant to spell creatine. other than that great thread.
Well that changes everything.
RonnieColeman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 AM #9
OrbitalDeath127

OrbitalDeath127 is an NCPA player
OrbitalDeath127 plays in the APPA D5 division
Gregg Avedon is the author for Muscle Chow, if you care enough to add that. Overall, very nice thread. Hopefully people will actually read it for once before they start spewing out all of the questions that have been beaten to death.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 AM #10
Grommzz
• Ellis Imagery •

Just wondering how many of you have actually read Arnolds book ?

Im gonna pick myself up a copy.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:43 AM #11
tannaj2

one thing i would love to see is for guys like myself 6"3 and 145 pounds oh how i hate it. i have done many things to try to gain muscle but i just get stronger but i dont add mass. i have had personal trainers went 6 months following what he said i didnt take any pills. for the life of me i just cant add mass so i pretty much gave up. most information that i have found are for people either trying to loose weight or loose weight and gain mass not many articiles and how tos for guys like me. i am not going to take drugs in order to add mass but you would have thought after 6 months i would had add something but notta.
tannaj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 AM #12
Turb0 Negr0
golfwang

Flarkey shares your pain
Turb0 Negr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 PM #13
pb0123456789

yeah. This is a very nice piece of work.
pb0123456789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM #14
Spartan58 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommzz View Post

Most people in this subforum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannaj2 View Post
one thing i would love to see is for guys like myself 6"3 and 145 pounds oh how i hate it. i have done many things to try to gain muscle but i just get stronger but i dont add mass. i have had personal trainers went 6 months following what he said i didnt take any pills. for the life of me i just cant add mass so i pretty much gave up. most information that i have found are for people either trying to loose weight or loose weight and gain mass not many articiles and how tos for guys like me. i am not going to take drugs in order to add mass but you would have thought after 6 months i would had add something but notta.
Frankly, you need to eat a lot more and train harder. You can say you already eat a lot and lift hard, but your body says otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turb0 Negr0 View Post
Flarkey shares your pain

Flarkey lets himself stay small.
Spartan58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:19 PM #15
matrixkid89
lukes team sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan58 View Post
Most people in this subforum.

Frankly, you need to eat a lot more and train harder. You can say you already eat a lot and lift hard, but your body says otherwise.

Flarkey lets himself stay small.
you let yourself stay small .

"Originally posted by LostFaction15: :tup: to all of you

except for maddog, hes a doucher"
matrixkid89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 PM #16
Dudu222
Nota2k8r

Dudu222 is BST Trusted
Hey guys

Well Im a relatively big dude Im currently at about 220 lbs, 6'2" tall and i just turned 16 in July.

Before than I did alot of lifting, than stopped and started again and goin on my third week. So id thought Id come in here and ask about my current plan/diet.

M- chest
T- Shoulders
W- Back
Th- Tris,Bis, Forearms
F- Legs
Sa- Chest
Su-Tris, Bis, and Forearms

I do 10-15 mins of fast paced jump rope each day, and various core workouts between each set.

Diet wise this is what I do

Morning for Breakfast- Muscle Milk Shake containing

2 scoops of MM
Some Water
Some Fat free milk
Half a Banana
Scoop of peanut butter

And a Cliff Bar

Inbetween my 6am breakfast and my 12pm lunch, I consume One turkey, ham, and cheese on a wheat pita.

At lunch, brown rice, with a small chicken breast.

Pre workout- Water and a Cliff Bar

Post workout- MM Shake as stated above, and brown rice and chicken or steak.

If anyone would care to give me advice or help me out, id greatly appreciate it

BOTH FT
Dudu222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:07 PM #17
Spartan58 (Banned)

W-w-w-w-wrong thread.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:39 PM #18
Dudu222
Nota2k8r

Dudu222 is BST Trusted
when i made my own thread you said faq, so where would you like me to go now?

BOTH FT
Dudu222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:40 PM #19
KillerKid898
You can't kill integrity

beginners thread for questions,he told you to go here to read so that you can answer these questions yourself
KillerKid898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:41 PM #20
Spartan58 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudu222 View Post
when i made my own thread you said faq, so where would you like me to go now?
Read it. Then post in the begginers thread.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:43 AM #21
ltrain
Westside Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommzz View Post

ive read it like 3-4 times cover to cover
ltrain is offline   Reply With Quote