Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-27-2013, 02:30 PM #1
TS4life

New "yesterday" high end

After this reply in another thread of mine I realized I'd rather go with this guy's ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
Value is subjective. I don't think it is worth it but I play for fun. Any slight performance increase in today's high end markers is small enough that I won't pay for it. I will say, the last generation top tier marker is now dirt cheap and very little has changed.

I've picked up an NXT shocker for under $200 in as new condition. It compares very closely to the LUXE. Hard to justify an additional $1300 for the Luxe. I picked up a BL Protege for $225 which uses the same internal as the G6R, just a little uglier to most and it has a macro line. Hard to justify $1000+ on a G6r. I picked a Marq 6 up for $175. Shoots smoother than the SC'd Victory and is going to be close enough to the spool valve engine in them to not pay $1250. I picked up a PM6 for $150. Again, shoots just like any DM or PM and isn't $1500. I can't see enough performance difference in the last gen markers to today's top tier marker to pay for the difference. I also don't think buying today's mid-range is overly smart either. Most of yesterday's top tier markers are cheaper than today's mid-range. Unless you have to have new I don't know why I would buy in the mid-range. Even used, today's mid-range markers are more expensive than yesterday's top tier.
With this, what would be some good used high ends to get for under $400. I sold my Rev i and FX and got an ICD Promaster because Imissed the one I got rid of... But will be using this a backup.

I have never used a Bob Long, or Planet Eclipse gun before. What are good old high ends to get between BL, PE, Protos, etc...?
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM #2
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS4life View Post
After this reply in another thread of mine I realized I'd rather go with this guy's ideas.

With this, what would be some good used high ends to get for under $400. I sold my Rev i and FX and got an ICD Promaster because Imissed the one I got rid of... But will be using this a backup.

I have never used a Bob Long, or Planet Eclipse gun before. What are good old high ends to get between BL, PE, Protos, etc...?
Spool: PM8, Shocker NXT

Inline Popppet: Marq Closer

Stacked-tube Poppet: Vice, Ego 7-9 (or SL)
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:21 PM #3
blueshifty
RIP: Underĝath

Spool: PM8/ DM9, Shocker NXT, FEP Quest, MacDev Droid

Poppet: eigenbolt/ boss bolt'd axe, any marq (I prefer the stock engine with a quick disconnect bolt), vice/ protege, MacDev Cyborg 07/RX, and even though it doesn't get a lot of love the ego9 plank'd/ barb'd.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:36 PM #4
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 supports Team VICIOUS
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is Legendary
My personal favorite is the ego 08. You can find them for $350 or less.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 PM #5
RegalEgo11
Cool-Aid

RegalEgo11 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RegalEgo11 plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
My personal favorite is the ego 08. You can find them for $350 or less.
Ego 8's are cannons! They are so loud, but they are nice I still want one

New Jersey Alliance D5 Squad.
Gi Sportz
vForce
EmpossibleSports
RegalEgo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM #6
benzy2
angry bird

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
I stand behind the picks listed above. I look for the best bang for the buck, though I usually try to stay around $200.

If I were to bump the price point, the PM8 would be my pick of Dye markers. The NXT shocker is hard to beat for that style spool marker.

The Gen 5 intimidators (vice and protege) are interchangeable internally with the g6r. The regs are the same, though the lpr screws on rather than being held be a large set screw on the g6r, the bolts are the same, the rams are the same, the poppets are the same. If Planet Eclipse is your thing I'd look for a while for a nice ego8-9.

The gen 1 Marq is selling dirt cheap all around. They are excellent markers and while not quite as efficient as the Supercharged Victory they are smoother. An original Geo can be had fairly cheap now too. The older Macdev cyborgs are solid markers and are fairly cheap. Not sure they outdo the later model egos and gen 5 intimidator but still real nice markers.

Honestly, everything that was a top of the line marker in 2007-2009 has dropped significantly in price while technology has done little to improve on field performance. Some bells and whistles have been added but the change in function of these markers to their current day replacement is extremely minimal.

Another that can be had cheap is the Dye NT. it has picked up a bad reputation and resale value is falling rapidly. I have a feeling some point soon they are going to level at and hold steady. They are very ergonomic markers that shoot well when setup correctly. They take a bit of understanding to get there but once you really understand what each change does you will get a lot out of the marker.

Last edited by benzy2 : 02-27-2013 at 10:56 PM.
benzy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:22 AM #7
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalEgo11 View Post
Ego 8's are cannons! They are so loud, but they are nice I still want one
Not true. As long as it's tuned properly, and you clean it, they are very quiet. The eteks are the ones that are cannons.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:48 AM #8
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Amen to Etek chuga chuga chuga

Ronnie Dixon fan club #30

Last edited by 2pipes : 02-28-2013 at 10:11 AM.
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:20 AM #9
blueshifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps093 View Post
Not true. As long as it's tuned properly, and you clean it, they are very quiet. The eteks are the ones that are cannons.
I had an 07 ego with a banjo mod, zick kit, LP poppet and tried multiple bolts... It was still incredibly loud compared to a protege/vice and I assure you it was well tuned. The funny part is that the LPR on egos doesn't give you a ton of adjust-ability (which is part of the reliability design) so you can't really tune them wrong.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM #10
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy2 View Post
Honestly, everything that was a top of the line marker in 2007-2009 has dropped significantly in price while technology has done little to improve on field performance. Some bells and whistles have been added but the change in function of these markers to their current day replacement is extremely minimal.

Another that can be had cheap is the Dye NT. it has picked up a bad reputation and resale value is falling rapidly. I have a feeling some point soon they are going to level at and hold steady. They are very ergonomic markers that shoot well when setup correctly. They take a bit of understanding to get there but once you really understand what each change does you will get a lot out of the marker.
The NT platform is amazing. I own a pair of NT11. Maintain them and learn a little about the marker you use. I love mine.

The best part of the variety of older high ends out there is you can try alot and not be out a ton of cash.

Try/like=keep vs Try/hate=trade.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM #11
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I had an 07 ego with a banjo mod, zick kit, LP poppet and tried multiple bolts... It was still incredibly loud compared to a protege/vice and I assure you it was well tuned. The funny part is that the LPR on egos doesn't give you a ton of adjust-ability (which is part of the reliability design) so you can't really tune them wrong.
Well duhh of course a protege/vice is going to beat an older ego on quietness any day, but I'm saying the 08 shouldn't be sounding like a cannon, otherwise it's need to be cleaned/lubed.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:24 PM #12
blueshifty

I am saying comparatively that even a "well tuned ego" with a LP poppet, hush bolt, cure bolt and an eigenbarrel is still loud. That and the shot quality are really the only knocks I have against the ego. The LV1 look very promising to me.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:54 PM #13
dps093
My position=Deadbox

Annual Supporting Member
dps093 is BST Legit
dps093 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
I am saying comparatively that even a "well tuned ego" with a LP poppet, hush bolt, cure bolt and an eigenbarrel is still loud. That and the shot quality are really the only knocks I have against the ego. The LV1 look very promising to me.
Depends on what you consider loud I guess lol but I wouldn't call it a cannon. And yea, the LV1 is supposed to be quieter and smoother than the geos.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:07 AM #14
oxyg3n852

has been a member for 10 years
oxyg3n852 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I can make you a great deal on a upgraded Bob long vice. Let me know by PM if interested
oxyg3n852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM #15
BurningPlaydoh
Blow-Dough'ed

Annual Supporting Member
BurningPlaydoh has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyg3n852 View Post
I can make you a great deal on a upgraded Bob long vice. Let me know by PM if interested
Keep that to the BST.
BurningPlaydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 PM #16
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

Vice gotta love 'me

Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM #17
str8caash

str8caash owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
str8caash supports Team VICIOUS
str8caash has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
str8caash supports DLX Technology
Ill make this short and sweet. Straight up....im a gun whore and own 27 markers ranging from a tippmann a5 to luxe 2.0 and my BL closer is by far my favorite/best marker i own. To describe it in one word.....BEAST!