PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-03-2013, 06:30 PM #1996
kwik175

Quote:
Originally Posted by payroll View Post
What is that horned fish called again, I was looking at getting one a few years ago but did some reading and if I remember correctly they can get rather big and risk knocking liverock down and cracking your tank. Obviously like now at his size you don't have to worry about that but just a heads up.
That one is called a big horned cowfish. I guess they get the size of a baseball or so. Ive read that if they die they can release a toxin and kill your other fish. The bigger they get the worse the effects. I hope I dont find out.
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 PM #1997
ProtoxxPaintball
USAF

has been a member for 10 years
ProtoxxPaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ProtoxxPaintball supports our troops
ProtoxxPaintball is an NCPA player
ProtoxxPaintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican916 View Post
How much does it cost to ship a 55 gallon tank
Probably be cheaper to wait till petco does their $1/gal sale.

$55 for a 55 Gallon tank...
Old 03-03-2013, 08:11 PM #1998
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kwik I am super jelly of your tank, it's really similar to what I hope to have someday.

Thinking about setting up my 55 gallon freshwater tank. Any suggestions would be great. Not sure which direction I want to go with it, but I had south american cichlids last time along with a bunch of pictus cats and a bichir.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 PM #1999
mexican916

mexican916 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
mexican916 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
So I had to stick with my lease agreement and got a 14 gallon for my first tank..
Any suggestions for fish? I've been looking at tetras, guppies, and a Borneo suckerfish for my algae eater.. Also, do I have to stick to say 4 neon tetras, as opposed to 2 neon tetras and 2 black phantom tetras for example.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:32 PM #2000
r_racer11
The mad santa hatter

Quote:
So I had to stick with my lease agreement and got a 14 gallon for my first tank..
Any suggestions for fish? I've been looking at tetras, guppies, and a Borneo suckerfish for my algae eater.. Also, do I have to stick to say 4 neon tetras, as opposed to 2 neon tetras and 2 black phantom tetras for example.
If i had room for another small tank id invest in a good lighting setup and try to do a planted tank with like 30 neon tetras and maybe some other colorful schooling fish.

Theres just something about planted tanks that make me love them. I guess its the whole little mini ecosystem thing. Im currently trying to carpet my 55Gal in java moss and dwarf tears.

"Originally posted by SmArT-SpOrKs: Jesus Tapdancing christ this thread is a cluster**** on both sides. Its like the civil war, but replace muskets with pool noodles and everyone has a wicked sunburn."

ST PHOTOBUCKET
_-_ST:GDT 10,000 posts and counting

c4designs.org
Old 03-06-2013, 08:39 PM #2001
JC Nor7
vanilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
Well...time to get rid of my fish. I'm moving to Hawaii later this year
bummer man.

i grew up military, i know what it is like.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 PM #2002
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
akward silence is Immortal
At least it's somewhere cool. I was planning on Al Dhofra. I'm selling most of my tanks this weekend
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM #2003
kwik175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintnoob13 View Post
Kwik I am super jelly of your tank, it's really similar to what I hope to have someday.

Thinking about setting up my 55 gallon freshwater tank. Any suggestions would be great. Not sure which direction I want to go with it, but I had south american cichlids last time along with a bunch of pictus cats and a bichir.
Thanks for the compliment. Ive always wanted to do saltwater and this was my first attempt. We really wanted to do it right and do it custom. The stand was built per our specs and had to match other furniture. We waited 4 months just for it. The best advice I have with setting up any tank is take your time and get exactly what you want even if you have to wait for it. It sucks doing it quick and looking back regretting it later.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:45 PM #2004
Imnothungry
Im actually pretty hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_racer11 View Post
If i had room for another small tank id invest in a good lighting setup and try to do a planted tank with like 30 neon tetras and maybe some other colorful schooling fish.

Theres just something about planted tanks that make me love them. I guess its the whole little mini ecosystem thing. Im currently trying to carpet my 55Gal in java moss and dwarf tears.
dwarf tears are such a PITA to get going. its one of the few plants i actually think CO2 will make a pretty sizable difference with. in my old low tech they just sat there and barely spread until i put in a DIY co2 set up. my lighting was also relatively ****ty for that set up so it did not help

Last edited by Imnothungry : 03-06-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:51 PM #2005
Imnothungry
Im actually pretty hungry

Quote:
some suggestions:

oto cats
neons
guppies would be fine
killi fish
a few species of rasbora (galaxy, boraras, harlaquin)
shrimp
some of the small species of rainbow fish
salt and pepper cories
beta
nerite snail
white cloud minnow

you want more than 2 of each if you are getting tetras or any schooling fish.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:55 AM #2006
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
akward silence is Immortal
Get a zebra pleco.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:10 AM #2007
SYSTEM
Notomated

SYSTEM is a Mega Moderator
SYSTEM is a Supporting Member
SYSTEM donated to help Peyton Trent
SYSTEM supports Bob Gurnsey
Thread has over 2000 posts. Continue here: https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3947041
This SYSTEM user account is not controlled by a person. It's primary function is to automatically split large threads. System also masks the identity of staff members who give infractions. If you have a question, or if SYSTEM becomes self-aware, please post it in the Talk to Mods/Admins section.