Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-15-2012, 12:27 PM #22
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Seriously. The guy goes from losing his mind over a dead guy they found to wanting to fondle some snake-demon thing. Lots of "there is no way these peopel are so stupid" moments in the movie, but I still enjoyed it.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2012, 01:36 PM #23
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_scott View Post
Because how a lifeform evolves correlates with the environment it lives in and involves countless variables. If we are to assume that all life on earth evolved from whatever was seeded by the engineers whether it was their DNA by being dissolved or by the magic alien goo, then whatever life was created would be subject to the environment of Earth from that point on. The odds that the seed would eventually evolve into a creature so similar to the Engineers, let alone nearly identical as far as DNA is concerned, are astronomical if not impossible. Again, I could look past this, suspension of disbelief and all that, if the scientists in the movie weren't all idiots. Bad science and leaps of logic are nothing new in Sci Fi, I get that, I just want to be entertained and not treated like a moron.
You must really hate Jurassic Park.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM #24
big_scott
Has a good personality.

big_scott is a founding member
big_scott supports DLX Technology
The Jurassic Park movies never present themselves as anything other than summer popcorn flicks so no I don't.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:50 PM #25
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
The Jurassic Park movies never present themselves as anything other than summer popcorn flicks so no I don't.
That's the exact impression I got of Prometheus. Jurassic Park was not without larger questions being asked.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM #26
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Yea, that question was: Should we make dinosaurs?

Answer: No
Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM #27
bunkerinu
Champion of the People

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
bunkerinu plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
It treats us like morons by expecting us to believe that any human being, let alone supposedly trained scientists who are the best in their fields would do stupid things like take off their helmets in an alien environment just because the air was breathable, or not notice the obvious signs of aggression from a damn space cobra.
lmao. I was thinking the same thing.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:23 PM #28
BMcC13
Vatican Assasin

BMcC13 helped look for balloons
BMcC13 is playing at Living Legends III
BMcC13 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
BMcC13 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
It treats us like morons by expecting us to believe that any human being, let alone supposedly trained scientists who are the best in their fields would do stupid things like take off their helmets in an alien environment just because the air was breathable, or not notice the obvious signs of aggression from a damn space cobra.
Okay, here's the version of the movie where they don't do anything stupid:

"Wow, we're on this planet!"
"Hey, these guys are dead, and this area looks hostile. We should probably go."
"You're right."
*ship takes off, end credits roll*

In film, drama and scary situations and plot twists etc etc need to be provoked by the characters. The writers aren't assuming the audience is stupid, they're creating a route for Pandora's Box to be opened. Sure, they could have done it better, but if everybody in a movie acted normal and appropriately, there would be no story to them. Real life isn't cinematic, you need to be unrealistic (to some degree) to have a good movie.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM #29
big_scott
Has a good personality.

And well written movies can have believable characters AND move the plot forward in a dramatic way.

The first Alien movie is a perfect example. At no point did a character do anything that took me out of the movie or made me feel talked down to. Yet bad **** still happened. There is a whole tense scene where Ripley tries to stop Ash and the others from doing something dumb like allowing an alien life form onto their ship without proper quarantine procedures. Then when they do in fact do this dumb thing, and **** goes wrong, we later find out that Ash had purposefully allowed that to happen.

In Prometheus, a lot of the bad **** that happens to characters happens because they are dumb and make dumb decisions that are so unbelievable that it makes you stop and think, "Gee, that was really ****ing dumb.". That's fine in a teenage slasher flick. Not so much in a sci-fi thriller that obviously wants you to think something deeper than "Damn, Space, you scary."
Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM #30
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

spizle2k5 is for the Gunfight
spizle2k5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
The characters are dumb...

They are risking their lives on a black bag rushed expidention for some random billionaire to make money.

I don't think you're going to get the smartest people to do that.

I love this movie because one man might single-handedly get the human race whiped out.

Why can't you love how the dumb characters play into this scenario and reflect on how this could happen in reality.

Last edited by spizle2k5 : 08-15-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 AM #31
WorldStrike
PBN's Dick

WorldStrike supports Bob Gurnsey
WorldStrike posts videos on PbNation
WorldStrike has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMcC13 View Post
Okay, here's the version of the movie where they don't do anything stupid:

"Wow, we're on this planet!"
"Hey, these guys are dead, and this area looks hostile. We should probably go."
"You're right."
*ship takes off, end credits roll*

In film, drama and scary situations and plot twists etc etc need to be provoked by the characters. The writers aren't assuming the audience is stupid, they're creating a route for Pandora's Box to be opened. Sure, they could have done it better, but if everybody in a movie acted normal and appropriately, there would be no story to them. Real life isn't cinematic, you need to be unrealistic (to some degree) to have a good movie.
Humans are curious and feel a need for a greater sense of purpose. I'd say they acted "normal." If people went away when something dangerous seemed to present itself, the entire history of cinema would be ****ed. I guarantee there are quite a few movies you enjoy where characters stuck around when you were thinking "I would get the hell out of there."
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM #32
BMcC13
Vatican Assasin

Quote:
And well written movies can have believable characters AND move the plot forward in a dramatic way.

The first Alien movie is a perfect example. At no point did a character do anything that took me out of the movie or made me feel talked down to. Yet bad **** still happened. There is a whole tense scene where Ripley tries to stop Ash and the others from doing something dumb like allowing an alien life form onto their ship without proper quarantine procedures. Then when they do in fact do this dumb thing, and **** goes wrong, we later find out that Ash had purposefully allowed that to happen.

In Prometheus, a lot of the bad **** that happens to characters happens because they are dumb and make dumb decisions that are so unbelievable that it makes you stop and think, "Gee, that was really ****ing dumb.". That's fine in a teenage slasher flick. Not so much in a sci-fi thriller that obviously wants you to think something deeper than "Damn, Space, you scary."
You make a good point. Like I said, it could've been done a lot better, and it has been. They didn't need to make the biologist tempt the snake...the thing could've just jumped out of the muck at them. Then again, that scene was clearly supposed to be tongue-in-cheek obvious foreshadowing that something was about to happen.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:24 PM #33
spizle2k5
Pink Flag

spizle2k5 is for the Gunfight
spizle2k5 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
You make a good point. Like I said, it could've been done a lot better, and it has been. They didn't need to make the biologist tempt the snake...the thing could've just jumped out of the muck at them. Then again, that scene was clearly supposed to be tongue-in-cheek obvious foreshadowing that something was about to happen.
Don't ignore what I posted
Old 08-16-2012, 02:31 PM #34
automagsrule

all plot holes in prometheus can be explained pretty easily.

the gas that makes people act like idiots in cabin in the woods actually makes up about 70% of that planet's atmosphere.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:38 PM #35
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by automagsrule View Post
all plot holes in prometheus can be explained pretty easily.

the gas that makes people act like idiots in cabin in the woods actually makes up about 70% of that planet's atmosphere.
OOOOOoooohhh. It all makes sense now. Hopefully the alien Unicorn makes an appearance in the sequel.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:24 AM #36
BMcC13
Vatican Assasin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spizle2k5 View Post
Don't ignore what I posted
Well to be honest I don't like to have to turn down my intelligence to enjoy something at a more shallow level.

Ever watched anything written by Steven Moffat (Sherlock, some Doctor Who episodes)? The guy is brilliant--he will completely blow your mind and make a fool out of the viewer, and it's awesome. If you're a good performer, you can control your audience.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:44 PM #37
The_BODO_Machine

The_BODO_Machine has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The_BODO_Machine has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Good, Prometheus left way to many open ended questions
Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 PM #38
big_scott
Has a good personality.

Quote:
Well to be honest I don't like to have to turn down my intelligence to enjoy something at a more shallow level.

Ever watched anything written by Steven Moffat (Sherlock, some Doctor Who episodes)? The guy is brilliant--he will completely blow your mind and make a fool out of the viewer, and it's awesome. If you're a good performer, you can control your audience.
Moffat <3.