Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-04-2012, 02:39 PM #1
Corn Chips
Disclaimer: Not real food

Corn Chips owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Corn Chips supports Team VICIOUS
Explain barrels/bore size to me as if I were 5.

Ok, not really as if I were 5, but you get the point. I'm looking in to getting a new barrel, and I see tons of different options for the sizing. What difference does it make? How do I know which one I need?

While I am not technically a "new" player, I've only ever used stock barrels on my guns, so you can see how far I've gotten in the paintball world and how I'd have no idea about this.
Corn Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM #2
LeByron
Always use lubrication

LeByron has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LeByron has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
LeByron has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
14 inch is usually the ideal size for a paintball barrel, the quality and finish on it is important, and many people like to match the bore size of the barrel to the bore size of the paintballs they are using (for optimal efficiency), some people like to underbore (bigger paintball bore size than barrel bore) and some like to overbore (self explanatory). You can probably find the advantages of bore matching, underboring, and overboring on this site somewhere. Inserts are usually used to adjust the bore size of the barrel.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM #3
americigerm
Punchin Nerds in the Dome

americigerm owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
americigerm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
A smaller barrel gives you a few adavatages if you will.

First off, your balls wont roll out of the barrel(that sounds dirty haaaaa).

Second, it'll use less air, because less is escaping around the ball.

Third, you will shoot more straight, because the ball wont move in the barrel with a snug fit.

You don't want to have too small of a barrel or to large a barrel. You should be able to put one ball into the barrel without it rolling out. But you should be able to blow it out, as if you're using a blow gun.

I would google search "Over/underboring".
E-Vents SE Ink'd w/ Ninja Lens
Battle Sports USA
americigerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM #4
Corn Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by americigerm View Post

Third, you will shoot more straight, because the ball wont move in the barrel with a snug fit.

You don't want to have too small of a barrel or to large a barrel. You should be able to put one ball into the barrel without it rolling out. But you should be able to blow it out, as if you're using a blow gun.

Thanks. Also, hello from Watsonville!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM #5
Corn Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeByron View Post
14 inch is usually the ideal size for a paintball barrel, the quality and finish on it is important, and many people like to match the bore size of the barrel to the bore size of the paintballs they are using (for optimal efficiency), some people like to underbore (bigger paintball bore size than barrel bore) and some like to overbore (self explanatory). You can probably find the advantages of bore matching, underboring, and overboring on this site somewhere. Inserts are usually used to adjust the bore size of the barrel.
Thank you. Inserts are probably one of the more confusing things to me regarding barrels, so I'll def. look more into that.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM #6
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
There are several components here so I'll see what I can do.
Bore= the inner diameter of the barrel.
Control bore= the length of the barrel that is the stated bore (ideal length is 8ish inches of control bore)
insert= a changeable, insert-able piece of metal that changes the size of the control bore without changing the barrel. see the freak barrels or the shift kit by MacDev
2-piece barrel= a barrel that comes in 2 pieces, the back piece is the control bore and the front piece, or tip, has the venting or air porting
one piece barrel= a singular piece of metal, the back starts at the stated bore size and continues at that size for a few inches until gradually getting slightly larger
drag= referenced when a barrel bore is too long or too small and it negatively affects the flight of a ball
bore match= when the bore of the paintball is matched perfectly to the bore of the barrel
underbore= when a bore a bit smaller than the size of the ball is selected. Creates almost a vacuum seal around the ball
overbore= when a bore a bit larger than the bore of a paintball is selected. Creates less drag and is believed to create an even distribution of air around the ball.

While on the topic, there is no clearly defined best. Some will swear by one method of boring, others will live and die by the other. Overboring is generally regarded as less efficient because it allows air to escape around the ball. However it creates less drag so there is that trade off. Underboring is highly toted as most efficient because all the air behind the ball transfers to energy into the ball, however it creates much more drag. One day we may have definitive answers but for everyone out there who stands by one method, there are equal amounts of people standing by the other. The one thing that we do know is that anything over about 16inches of overall barrel length is less efficient and provides no real positive trade-off.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:59 PM #7
americigerm
Punchin Nerds in the Dome

americigerm owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
americigerm has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
americigerm has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Chips View Post
Thanks. Also, hello from Watsonville!
Hit me up if you ever go out to Hollister or Santa Clara, I'll roll my group along.
E-Vents SE Ink'd w/ Ninja Lens
Battle Sports USA
americigerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:19 PM #8
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn Chips View Post
Thank you. Inserts are probably one of the more confusing things to me regarding barrels, so I'll def. look more into that.
inserts are little tubes that slide into the back of barrel thats made for them, like the freak kit is probably the most common. each insert is a different bore size so if you need to change it you can just take it out and slide in a better size. the reason you might want more than one insert is because paint can vary in size, its not always what it says on the box. plus the climate makes a difference too whether its hot/humid/cold can cause them to swell or shrink.

and its cheaper to just buy an insert than to buy another barrel, or instead of buying the whole kit you can just buy 2-3 inserts in the sizes youll use the most.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM #9
WolfstrikePB

WolfstrikePB has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WolfstrikePB is attending Decay of Nations VI
Do rifled barrels tend to have more barrel breaks than a smooth bore barrel?
WolfstrikePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:51 PM #10
Zippin35

Zippin35 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Zippin35 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Zippin35 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I cant speak to breaks but rifling a paintball barrel is useless and provides zero benefit.
New England Crusade #35
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
Zippin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:06 PM #11
dps093
I like Flexes

dps093 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dps093 plays in the APPA D4 division
dps093 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
dps093 is Boss
dps093 supports Ninja Paintball
dps093 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by americigerm View Post

This guy pretty much summed it up perfectly for you
dps093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:24 PM #12
YeloSno
Gen on Facebook

YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Also:

A barrel's bore is how much of an inch it is, internally, in its diameter.

So a .684 bore barrel is exactly 684/1000ths of 1 inch in the internal diameter of the barrel.

The control bore length is the same thing as the back bore. That is what the barrel is measured by as typically, barrel fronts/tips are either .690 or .700 to the tip.

The Perfect control bore length, which is how long that bore lasts down the barrel, is claimed to be at 7.5"-8" in length. The shorter your control bore is, the shorter amount of time the air from the shot will stay behind the ball, and the sooner your shot will drop.... along with the higher the operating pressure has to be to keep that ball at the right velocity out the barrel.

You typically want to have your barrels .002 to .004 smaller than what you use. That will allow for best shot to shot consistency (in the velocity/speed of the paintballs) and better air efficiency.

If the paint sizes change a lot in your area, feel free to buy multiple backs or multiple bores of the barrel to suit every condition.

For example, where I'm located, paint ranges from .676 to about .686, so I have .675, .680, .682 and .684 bore barrels to cover the spectrum on any given day.

Although now I happen to have a .679 and .685 as well...

Oh, and on overall barrel length, you get optimal performance from barrels between 12" and 16". The norm being 14", but it's not always the case. I run 10" to 16" barrels. The 10" ones are just for kicks.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:40 AM #13
Tempted (Banned)

Yep pretty much put a paintball in the barrel and see what it does. Fall all the way through? Over bored. Less accurate, less likely to break.

Gets stuck and you can't blow it out? Under bored. High probability of barrel breaks.

Stops at the back of the barrel but you can blow it out? Right on. Most accurate. Not a big risk of barrel breaks. Most efficient.
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:20 PM #14
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
Keep in mind that for most circumstances the barrel won't have a huge impact on accuracy. If you underbore too much you will get weird spins and unpredictable trajectory on the paint balls though. A slight underbore will provide an increase in efficiency for sure. Over boring will give you flexibility and, as of lately seemingly better consistency...

The reality of it is, that there are lots of factors in play here and it is difficult to give a definitive answer to this question. I have been playing paintball for a long time: when many pbn posters where still ****ting their diapers I was playing paintball... I have shot hundreds of cases of paint through all sorts of barrels of different make and bore ect... and I still really don't know whats best.

With all that said, I am inclined to say that....

Underbore = better efficiency
Overbore = better consistency

Too much overbore = efficiency drops way down
Too much under bore = accuracy goes to hell and you get all sorts of weird backspin and stuff.

And finally, my best advice is that unless you need better efficiency I would just stick with your stock barrel unless you really want to buy a new toy. And also, the barrel I have my eye on right now would be a 12" deadly winds w/ freak inserts. (I like having lots of toys what can I say)

I hope this helps,

JC001
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:09 PM #15
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC001 View Post

And finally, my best advice is that unless you need better efficiency I would just stick with your stock barrel unless you really want to buy a new toy.

JC001
while i partly agree since better paint will make a bigger difference than the barrel, problem is i havent seen paint bigger than .684 in 3 years and most companies are still releasing .691 and .693's as the stock barrel. so unless your shooting just rather crappy paint thats getting real close to that "way overbored" area.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:27 PM #16
martix_agent
Mandated fun

martix_agent is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Sorry for being off topic here, but this is all i could think when i saw the thread title
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06 AM #17
Paintb@11er

Underbore, where the barrel is smaller than the paintball, will yield better consistency but be louder. Overbore, opposite of underbore, will be quieter, less efficient, and less consistent.
Paintb@11er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:25 PM #18
Dark Side
You will know the power

Dark Side is playing at Living Legends X
Dark Side owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dark Side owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Dark Side supports Pev's Paintball
Dark Side supports Empire
Search for Mann's barrel guide. It answers pretty much every question you will have about accuracy.
Dark Side is offline   Reply With Quote