PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-02-2013, 10:13 PM #1
Horizon

has been a member for 10 years
50 Caliber rental update

Looks like there may be something being released soon that could be of interest for those looking for something reliable in the 50 caliber marker category. Something currently not available, but being sought by many field owners.

I’ve been given permission to provide a little info, although at this point the manufacturer has asked to remain anonymous until the official launch, hopefully happening in a few short weeks. Being released shortly will be a 50 caliber modification for 68 caliber markers including the Tippmann’s 98,the FT12 and I believe some other markers as well (the Tippmann’s are the only ones I have 100% confirmation for at this point).

It is not a typical conversion kit that requires a breach adaptor, bolt and barrel to work, rather 1 piece that adapts the gun to 50 cal. It apparently does not even need a separate 50 caliber barrel, the stock barrel can be screwed back on after the conversion is done. The conversion can also be reversed. In the case of the FT12, to convert from 68 to 50 caliber, or from 50 back to 68 caliber can be done in less than a minute. The 98 takes longer due to having to separate the clamshell body halves to get at the internals. The price has not been confirmed, but is indicated to be much less than a separate new rental marker like the Spyder Opus. If the modification does not affect the reliability of the Tippmann marker, we may have a winner on our hands.

The obvious advantage from a field owner’s perspective (especially a relatively small operation field owner) is that he/she does not need to have two complete sets of guns to be able to cater to both the 50 caliber and 68 caliber market. For someone like myself, that is still in the “trial” stages of offering 50 caliber games, I don’t have to invest nearly as much as I thought I would have to invest to give it a try, and hopefully I will have something that is more reliable than the Spyder.

I am hoping to get a prototype in my hands sometime in the next week or two and then will hopefully have a little more info.
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2013, 10:19 PM #2
7paintball
Service at its best.

7paintball owns a Planet Eclipse Gtek
7paintball supports Ninja Paintball
Interesting cant wait to see more.
Lockport, IL 60441
(815) 588-1777

We always offer discounts to the Military, Police and Fire Departments.
7paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:17 AM #3
thenoob23
Axe+$$

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
thenoob23 supports DLX Technology
Sounds good.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:09 PM #4
Harrison57

Harrison57 owns a Planet Eclipse - Gtek 170r
Harrison57 supports Team VICIOUS
Harrison57 supports Team VICIOUS
Harrison57 supports DLX Technology
My only concern is the Tippmann breaking the .50 cal balls. Interesting concept though
Harrison57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 PM #5
280paintball

We currently offer .50 cal and will definitely be interested in purchasing something like this. Also we would be a great candidate for field testing.

Indoor and Outdoor Paintball
280paintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:42 PM #6
GatSplat

Well, a couple of quick thoughts....

The big problem with the 68 caliber guns for little kids is not necessarily the sting of a 68, it's they are just not big enough to hold and carry them. I'm not sure if converting a 68 solves that. We use the spyder opus with a 13ci tank, and that is very, very light to hold.

And we have done a modification to the spyders, and now, it appears all the sputtering problems are gone.

The guns are cheaper that the tippmann, and you don't have to buy some after market kit, and they work good with the smaller tank, and still get 100's of shots with that tank.

So at this point... (never thought I'd say this) I'm happy with the spyders as 50 cal rentals!
GatSplat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:44 PM #7
thenoob23
Axe+$$

thenoob23 is playing at Living Legends VI
thenoob23 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
thenoob23 supports Team VICIOUS
thenoob23 supports DLX Technology
Tippmans seem to be more bulk and tend to hav more weight than Spyders.Gat has a point.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 PM #8
Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
The big problem with the 68 caliber guns for little kids is not necessarily the sting of a 68, it's they are just not big enough to hold and carry them. I'm not sure if converting a 68 solves that. We use the spyder opus with a 13ci tank, and that is very, very light to hold.
I agree. Tippmann's are a bit heavy for the younger kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatSplat View Post
And we have done a modification to the spyders, and now, it appears all the sputtering problems are gone.
Are there any other modifications other than removing the front bolt o-ring that you've done? Will the marker now still cycle if you get a ball break in the breech?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 AM #9
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
I agree. Tippmann's are a bit heavy for the younger kids.

Are there any other modifications other than removing the front bolt o-ring that you've done? Will the marker now still cycle if you get a ball break in the breech?
Yes and yes.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 PM #10
Sandehhh

Sandehhh posts videos on PbNation
Sandehhh plays in the APPA beginner division
Sandehhh supports DLX Technology
They are heavy for the younger ones but once there in the game they don't think about it.
Sandehhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM #11
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Honestly, I've always loved the kingman guns for kids. They're just so light and easy to control. Slap a small tank and hopper on those things and they're great for the little ones. Plus with .50 cal, even a small hopper can hold enough ammo to keep them happy.

I guess if the inserts are cheap enough, they at least give field owners an option, effectively doubling their rental fleet. Options are never a bad thing. It may not be the perfect option, but it's something.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM #12
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
I still don't understand...

What's the advantage of .50 cal that you don't get with a .68 cal gun set at a lower velocity?

I can see Larry's point about size/weight, but that seems more an issue of gun design than anything (the 98's are pretty darned long!). And if you turn the velocity on the .68's down, you'll need less air. I suppose you still have less-shots-per-weight, but how many paintballs are younger kids shooting at each other anyway?

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:52 PM #13
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
I still don't understand...

What's the advantage of .50 cal that you don't get with a .68 cal gun set at a lower velocity?

I can see Larry's point about size/weight, but that seems more an issue of gun design than anything (the 98's are pretty darned long!). And if you turn the velocity on the .68's down, you'll need less air. I suppose you still have less-shots-per-weight, but how many paintballs are younger kids shooting at each other anyway?

- Chris
They are shooting a lot. My average 50 cal player goes through about 500 paintballs in a few hours of play at our field. And there is a big difference in how much weight. We have kids as young as 6, 7 playing, and they would not even be able to hold a 68 with a steelie tank. With these little 50's, you can drop on a 13 cubic inch tank, so there is virtually no weight, and it still gets 300 shots on that size tank.

And turning down a 68, just makes for more bounces instead of breaks which hurts more... not less, and even turned down, you'd get under 100 shots with a 68 (I tried it...)

On another thread out here, I posted up my numbers, and the number of kids we have under 11 is a great portion of our business. When kids come in, I let them hold both guns, and pick which they want to use. 95% of the kids under the age of 12 want the 50 cal. It's less space to stock the paint, its less clean up, it's less air, it's less weight for them, it's less sting, it's more customers, and more importantly... more happy customers.

I'm getting people into paintball years before they normally would, and now they are paintball players instead of air soft, or laser tag. The number of parties of returns is astronomical. So why not 50? Why do people who have no experience with it, no business model that would want to support it... why do they have to try to put it down instead of simply understanding that it's an option. Just like every paintball player does not have to be a tourney player shooting a case an hour... not every paintball player has to love 68 just because that's what we did "back in my day". Yea, and "back in my day" a cell phone came in a bag, and 300 baud was a fast modem. Doesn't mean I cant embrace new technologies and options.

It is a great option for fields that want to try to attract younger crowds, and perhaps as (or more) important, attract the moms of kids... moms that worry that paintball hurts too much.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:04 PM #14
GatSplat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280paintball View Post
We currently offer .50 cal and will definitely be interested in purchasing something like this. Also we would be a great candidate for field testing.
And not only do they offer 50 cal.. they even took the wording and pictures off my web page to promote it! (actually probably should ask for that stuff... but it's ok)

So I'm sure they are also seeing the benefit of bringing the younger smaller kids into the sport.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:05 PM #15
Horizon

I can't remember hearing any field owner that has added 50 caliber to their offerings have negative things to say about it (other than the fact that there are not great 50 caliber rentals available yet).