Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 PM #22
infotography (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
infotography is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
Honestly, why is it required for me to respect someone else's beliefs? I'm not going to say anything to anyone, but you can't expect me to respect something I personally feel is ridiculous. How about they respect my atheism by not turning every formation/ceremony into a prayer meeting. That is what they have churches for.
Amen! I have no problem with religious folks. But I'll be damned if they are going to make me bow my head out of respect for a god I dont believe in. Sorry, if you want to pray do that with a bowed head during the silence, but dont make me fake it to apease the group.

Our base commander isnt religious, and him and his wife dont bow their heads.. just throwing that out there..
infotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2008, 10:19 PM #23
JackH (Banned)

JackH supports Team VICIOUS
JackH is for the Gunfight
JackH supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by infotography View Post
Amen! I have no problem with religious folks. But I'll be damned if they are going to make me bow my head out of respect for a god I dont believe in. Sorry, if you want to pray do that with a bowed head during the silence, but dont make me fake it to apease the group.

Our base commander isnt religious, and him and his wife dont bow their heads.. just throwing that out there..
I had to lol
JackH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:28 PM #24
infotography (Banned)

infotography is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackH View Post
I had to lol
Yeah, did ya see what I did thar?
infotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 11:01 PM #25
Cap_Insanity
Keeping it Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker19 View Post
you can't expect me to respect something I personally feel is ridiculous.
They "the military" can do just that. Just look at how they are making every one in Iraq treat mosques.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:31 PM #26
Pump Scout
New gun,old gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek MG100
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
Just double-checked my own dogtags... last line reads "NO REL PREF". Not exactly atheist, but not affiliated either. Think that's about as far as my own involvement ever got with having to deal with a religious preference while in uniform.

Side note, we did have one guy in training who was Wiccan. Not overly practicing, but he was given the option of having an hour a week for observing his faith.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 02:43 PM #27
xxxarsonist
Tommy Noble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyblaze1991 View Post
I've wanted to join the military ever since I was young and I still feel the same way. I've seen many pictures of group prayers especially overseas. My question is would an atheist be looked down upon in the military having refused to take part in these prayers, or for simply being an atheist period?
Im an athiest. Keep your **** to yourself, take the prayers for what its worth, and for gods sake(haha) dont get any inverted crosses, or anything stupid like that.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:11 PM #28
WarCzar

WarCzar is a Supporting Member
WarCzar is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxarsonist View Post
Im an athiest. Keep your **** to yourself, take the prayers for what its worth, and for gods sake(haha) dont get any inverted crosses, or anything stupid like that.
Exactly, like most people have said if you dont make an *** out of yourself with no one will care. Speaking from a Navy standpoint, nothing you do professionaly can be affected by your religious affiliation or lack there of, as your religion dosent call for murdering someone, raping, pilliging all that stuff. If there is you call your CMEO or EO officer (Equal Oppertunity) and a formal investigation can be started if they feel your complaint has merrit.

Sea Story time, On my first ship we had our group that met every night for "bible study". And afterwards they would always wonder the ship looking for people to testify to. One of the guys had a particular shipmate that he always talked to. The guy was a professed athiest, got good evals and all, smart guy just didn't believe in a god. Well after a while of this the athiest comes back to the ship after liberty and runs into the bible squad.
He was all excited about his new tatoo that was similar to the WWJD braclets they always wore. He pulled up his pants leg to show them a great portrait of Axel Rose with the initials WWAD. Needless to say much of the testifying stopped.

We Sleep Safe In Our Beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those that would do us harm. - George Orwell
WarCzar is offline   Reply With Quote