PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-03-2012, 06:16 AM #22
F1VENOM

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by quakcer View Post
I've never seen anyone say the opposite, so clearly it's a consensus that everybody knows the media is leftwing except for fox. If you think otherwise well then you're just retarded, and there's nothing anyone can do about that.
So a graphic about MSNBC misrepresenting Ron Paul means everything BUT Fox is leftwing?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM #23
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
No, I think listening to what is said tells you that. If we're playing this " you only get 2 choices " game that the media likes to force unto the masses.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM #24
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
No, I think listening to what is said tells you that. If we're playing this " you only get 2 choices " game that the media likes to force unto the masses.
Two party system and there aren't only two choices for media.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 12-03-2012, 07:06 AM #25
scienceguy

Quote:
Don't blame me I voted for Kodos.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM #26
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentAssassin View Post
Clearly you didn't understand the middle line comment. The title of the purple line which displays the middle was called "Fair and Balanced" (Fox's slogan). Whoever made the graphic is showing his bias.

CNN and abc are middle. Maybe a little left. Msnbc is pretty far left. Fox is really far right.
Maybe it would be more fitting if they changed their slogan to fair and balancing? Seeing as how there are two mid road outlets and one far left, fox news hitting hard right would act as a fair balance.

Anyway. Personally I see nothing wrong with these media outlets serving as mouth pieces for their respective ideologies. Progressivism on one hand and Neo conservatism on the other. The moment you add commentary & interpretation to data, the introduction of bias is unavoidable.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:25 PM #27
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
Two party system and there aren't only two choices for media.
Don't the "other guys" usually say the same thing? I could have sworn I could turn from channel to channel and hear the same message being said nearly verbatim while the GOP was running it's primaries. If they do (just going off of my fallible memory) then there are essentially only two sources for mainstream media.

I like my news sources like I enjoy my science. Fringe.

Last edited by barrel roll : 12-04-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 PM #28
F1VENOM

The key is mainstream and by mainstream I'm assuming you're talking about cable news networks.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM #29
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
Maybe it would be more fitting if they changed their slogan to fair and balancing? Seeing as how there are two mid road outlets and one far left, fox news hitting hard right would act as a fair balance.
Lol, it would be accurate.

Quote:
Anyway. Personally I see nothing wrong with these media outlets serving as mouth pieces for their respective ideologies. Progressivism on one hand and Neo conservatism on the other. The moment you add commentary & interpretation to data, the introduction of bias is unavoidable.
I have no problem with partisan news. But I have a problem with pretending that partisan news is "fair and balanced". And I have a problem with blatant distortion of facts (as seen in this thread).
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM #30
Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:

It's strange how this thread has gone from misrepresentation of facts to bias. Bias =/= false or misinterpreted facts. But, somehow, that's an argument being made by anyone trying to defend the joke that is Fox News. Most people don't slander it because it leans right, they slander it because it has been caught so many times presenting false facts and misrepresenting actual facts. Any time this is brought up, the only reaction I've seen is "But the media leans left!" as if it means anything at all, even if it were true.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-04-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 PM #31
quakcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
"But the media leans left!" as if it means anything at all, even if it were true.
So what you're saying is you don't think the media leans left? Interesting. Tell us more.
quakcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM #32
Treghc

Quote:
So what you're saying is you don't think the media leans left? Interesting. Tell us more.
I never took any stance. I said, "if it were true." That's not me saying "even though it's not true."

Again, you're doing nothing by proving my point. Your only argument here is the bias of media. That has nothing to do with whether or not the facts they present are true or not.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-04-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 PM #33
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
It's strange how this thread has gone from misrepresentation of facts to bias. Bias =/= false or misinterpreted facts. But, somehow, that's an argument being made by anyone trying to defend the joke that is Fox News. Most people don't slander it because it leans right, they slander it because it has been caught so many times presenting false facts and misrepresenting actual facts. Any time this is brought up, the only reaction I've seen is "But the media leans left!" as if it means anything at all, even if it were true.
Quote:
Quote:
I never took any stance. I said, "if it were true." That's not me saying "even though it's not true."

Again, you're doing nothing by proving my point. Your only argument here is the bias of media. That has nothing to do with whether or not they facts they present are true or not.
Lol, that was a funny exchange. He literally did what you pointed out as being wrong the post after you pointed it out.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:12 PM #34
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Lol, it would be accurate.

I have no problem with partisan news. But I have a problem with pretending that partisan news is "fair and balanced". And I have a problem with blatant distortion of facts (as seen in this thread).
Yeah me too.

Quote:
I was only touching on the tuff graphic and the waaaahhh bias that is typical....everywhere. Skewering data is always bad news.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:21 PM #35
Treghc

Quote:
I was only touching on the tuff graphic and the waaaahhh bias that is typical....everywhere. Skewering data is always bad news.
I was more responding as an extension of your post

Quote:
Lol, that was a funny exchange. He literally did what you pointed out as being wrong the post after you pointed it out.
Wasn't that gold? Hook, line and sinker.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-04-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 PM #36
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
I was more responding as an extension of your post

I wanted to make sure I wasn't giving off the wrong impression in light of what I said about partisanship and bias.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:53 PM #37
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Just another moment around here that makes me simultaneously happy and sad. I find blake to be funny, but also quite depressing tbh. But what can you really do?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:55 PM #38
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Drink.

I've got some of these waiting for me after my sledge hammer workout this afternoon.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 PM #39
TheSilentAssassin
Words and Stuff

Quote:
Drink.

I've got some of these waiting for me after my sledge hammer workout this afternoon.

Well played, sir. I chuckled. And I'm more of a bourbon man myself. Gotta love that old Jim Beam.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM #40
Treghc

Quote:
I wanted to make sure I wasn't giving off the wrong impression in light of what I said about partisanship and bias.
I'm not the most artful person at linguistics. No worries :-P

And on the topic of drinks... I'm still waiting for Friday so I can get my hands on another bottle of Bookers. It's been far too long.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 12-04-2012, 02:35 PM #41
Iamamartianchurch

I read something today that really made me want to hit the whiskey. It is about a school whose policy is to discourage their students from forming "best friends" because having a "best friend" encourages exclusivity. Blaker can't really hold a candle to that.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:44 PM #42
Drex17
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
I read something today that really made me want to hit the whiskey. It is about a school whose policy is to discourage their students from forming "best friends" because having a "best friend" encourages exclusivity. Blaker can't really hold a candle to that.
I've heard of that as well, in the post I read close friends were intentionally split up by the school.

This kind of lunacy honestly scares me.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."
Drex17 is offline   Reply With Quote