Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-14-2012, 07:56 PM #1
Tempted (Banned)

Reverse Threaded.

The green Shoebox I have has reverse threads on the ASA. After looking through all the HPA tanks that came in the package, there is a 3k carbon fiber tank with reverse threads on the reg. My questions are; Is this correct? Are there any specifics I need to know about? How do I fill the tank if it isn't on the marker(no fill nipple on the reg)?

This is the first time I've come across this in paintball. Thanks for the info. One more reason for me to ditch this Shocker.

Marker in question:

Last edited by Tempted : 08-15-2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Called a Shocker a Cocker.....
Tempted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM #2
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
I'm not sure about your question, but love the drop.
Perfect for shark week
ΞΞ

R.I.P.{HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:23 PM #3
Tempted (Banned)

I think its ridiculous. Check out the drop on another Shoebox that came in the deal:

Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 PM #4
memoon
Moon Penguin

memoon supports Team VICIOUS
memoon is reppin' sidebar 4 life
memoon plays in the APPA D5 division
The flame makes it shoot faster.
memoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:37 PM #5
Tempted (Banned)

I thought that was the Dye sticker and words "Factory Team" lasered on that made it shoot faster.

Anybody know if these came reverse threaded? I was thinking it was something like a propane fitting.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 PM #6
memoon
Moon Penguin

memoon is reppin' sidebar 4 life
memoon plays in the APPA D5 division
I'll be honest, I've never seen a reverse threaded ASA or tank reg....but I've only been playing for like 6-7 years....and the shoeboxes were before my time.
memoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:30 AM #7
Tempted (Banned)

I've played longer, but only rec. Never dealt with Shockers of any era. You could probably melt down one Shoebox and have enough aluminum to make 4 SFTs.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:45 AM #8
Tempted (Banned)

Well it appears to be original, says "Shocker" on the ASA. I'm assuming then that the tank reg is also Smart Parts, if its even a reg at all. Might just be a check valve since there is a reg on the ASA. Seems kinda dumb to me.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 AM #9
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Team_ILLNatured is a founding member
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Boss
Team_ILLNatured supports Ninja Paintball
it's not just an ASA, it's also your HP Reg. Post up a pic of the tank reg.
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 AM #10
spece108
Tiffany

You got quite an interesting batch in that box. That's known as a short spring manifold Maxflow reg. The tank in question is an on/off only, no reg. Reverse threads of course keep you from damaging a regular marker or yourself. The fill nipple should be on the opposite side of the reg, opposite that big gauge. Screw in tank, open the on/off, fill her up.

This is an improved version of the long nose max. It was really a revolutionary reg. Really the first super high flow low pressure design due to its balanced reg design. It was all simple uni regs before that. The fiberglass tanks that came with the earliest runs were pretty soft. I remember scoring them with a thumb nail. That tank is got to be pretty old by now. Neat historic piece. Don't take the dremel to it! Lol
spece108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 AM #11
spece108
Tiffany

Btw, those regs came in 3 flavors. Hp 500-900+, lp 200-500 and shocker 160-240. They were known as mag, cocker and shocker. Thus the "shocker" label. It also has the over sized fittings that take the big bore shocker macro line. I imagine that stuff is hard to find now.

The tanks, on/offs and regs could all be bought separately. Then you could have a couple tanks to move between guns. An extra 114 was cheaper than a scuba tank.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:33 PM #12
Team_ILLNatured
Running Hatchet Man

Team_ILLNatured is a founding member
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Team_ILLNatured owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Team_ILLNatured supports Team VICIOUS
Team_ILLNatured plays in the APPA D5 division
Team_ILLNatured is Boss
Team_ILLNatured supports Ninja Paintball
lol. no need to post pictures now. i had a feeling that is what it was.
Depew Decepticonz #1 2013 USPA Batavia Novice Div Sectional Champions
Belfast Bombers #01 2012 2nd Place USPA Novice Div
Depew ILLNatured #0 2011 3rd place USPA , Great Lakes Division
My ShEGO project!
"Originally posted by Spitlebug: You are right, my penis simply will not accept anything smaller than 68 caliber. :D"
Team_ILLNatured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM #13
Tempted (Banned)

Seems to answer all my questions, I appreciate it. When you say "You got quite an interesting batch" what I hear is "You got some really old junk that shouldn't exist anymore". Ha. I got these because I wanted an Automag RT that was in the box. The Shockers aren't perfect, but they are complete and in good shape. I don't want them, but I do hate old school markers going to the trash so hopefully whoever gets these from me has the intention of keeping them decent. While I do enjoy playing with classic markers, I don't think my back is up to the challenge of carrying these all day.

I don't believe the tank with the reverse threaded valve is original. It is a Carleton 3k carbon fiber tank. The valve seems to have an ON/OFF screw. Its the black knob, I don't see what else it could be.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:42 PM #14
spece108
Tiffany

Likely that green one will sell ok on Ebay. Center feed show boxes aren't that common. That one is all color matched too. Even the fill nipple. Shine that brass up with a rag and tooth paste (then rinse). Gadget grip is original and complete. Package it with that tank and sell it for a $100 or so. It'll help cover the whole box. Good luck.

That course weave on that Carlton looks a lot like fiberglass. I know my old ones were.

Last edited by spece108 : 08-15-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:50 PM #15
Tempted (Banned)

Oh it may be, I thought all HPA tanks were either aluminum/steel or carbon fiber. Makes since that its fiberglass because its a 3k.

I have the marker pulled apart right now. I'm cleaning it up/teching to find out the operating condition. I'll just attach a remote line to the fill nipple and run a regular HPA tank to test it.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 AM #16
Tempted (Banned)

Well, things went almost too smoothly. Got it stripped, cleaned, new o rings and lubed. The manifold gaskets were perfect, fortunately. I didn't really run into any snags at all. Got a 9v plug soldered up, ran a remote line to a separate tank(this being reverse threaded means none of my tanks would work, had to use the remote) and fired it up. Not a single leak, hiss or fart. It isn't easy to walk the trigger, and when I re-adjusted the trigger travel I left too much in. I pulled out all the threaded plugs and bolts to wire wheel them, cleaned up the threads and heads. Had some rust and I didn't want to thread that back into the aluminum body. This might be the easiest electro-pneumatic marker I've ever seen. It is odd that it used two solenoids, I'm not sure why they didn't just use one larger unit. After I got it cleaned up, inside and out, the re-assembly was terribly easy.

Here it is with the new O rings:

All back together:

Last edited by Tempted : 08-16-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:26 AM #17
Tempted (Banned)

And there she blows:

Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 AM #18
spece108
Tiffany

Nice! At least this one has an on/off switch. The 2 solenoids are because this was a true closed bolt gun. The bolt and firing chamber operate separately. My favorite idea for using the solenoid exhaust was to power one of those rams the pneumag guys use to reset the trigger. Then slap a "Shocker RT" sticker on the side!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:49 PM #19
Tempted (Banned)

What should I ask for this thing? I haven't got a clue on what its worth. I'm going to sell it with the tank, not sure where to start.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:56 PM #20
spece108
Tiffany

Hmmmmmm, the whole thing likely will fit in a large priority box. Factory center feed with fade, I'd put it on Ebay for $100 plus 20 for shipping (it will only cost you 14-15) with your shooting video and hope to get 120-130.

Its tough, a blind shoe box though it does look cool. Very retro, might place to 5 in a sotm on a slow month. Unfortunately for value sfts are only going for 140ish these days.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:30 PM #21
Tempted (Banned)

I'm not a fan of Ebay, plus I'd rather send it to a member here who is more likely to keep it in at least presentable shape. As I mentioned, I'm not really a Shocker guy but I do appreciate classic markers. Markers like this Shoebox are the missing link between Pro Carbines and Egos. I'd hate to see it get torn up and tossed. I didn't know what to ask for it when I posted it in the BST this morning. I think I'll ask $115 plus shipping. I have some "Regional Rate" boxes it will fit in with the tank and won't cost more than 15 bucks to ship. I do know that most anyone on PBN who buys it will more than likely keep it operational. I'd rather sell it to an enthusiast for $100 than someone who is going to destroy it for $200.