Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-04-2012, 04:28 PM #1
Cookybiscuit

Aurora

Just wondering, I hear it costs thousands, how many? And does it 'flake' or is that crap.

Thanks.
Cookybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2012, 05:05 PM #2
B3ARC1AW

You should start to use the search function of this forum. There are already a few different threads about aurora. THIS ONE is very informative and should answer most of your questions and give you a little history on it.

As for cost, it depends on how many pieces you want done and how big they are. From what I've heard, an accent kit for a gun can be nearly $1000, while the whole gun can be anywhere from $2000 to $3000, or more, depending on where you have it done.

There was a thread a while back where a group of people were trying to save money on the process by having a large number of markers done at once. I don't know if it ever happened or if they are still looking for more people.
B3ARC1AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:26 PM #3
Cookybiscuit

I already read that thread and numerous others, the replies all just seemed speculative and the OP's say nothing of price or durability.

Thanks, 1-3 thousand isn't too bad.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 PM #4
maloneoni
The Ronin

has been a member for 10 years
I wish that I could say that 1-3 thousand is not t0o bad. That is a lot of money.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:02 AM #5
Cookybiscuit

I totally agree its alot of money, I'm not rich at all, but compared to how good it looks its nothing.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:59 AM #6
Stepchild
You wanna know why......?

Stepchild is a Moderator
Stepchild is a Supporting Member
Stepchild is a founding member
 plays in the NXL
It does not cost that much to have done. The problem is finding a place that will do it. It only has the possibility of flaking or chipping if it's done on top of chrome/nickle plating. It can be done on bare aluminum or even anodized aluminum. Much like anodizing the finish it goes in with is the same finish it will have in the end. A lot of the original aurora parts where chrome plated first becasue it gave them the really high gloss, shiny finish. Use google and find places that will do it, call them and get a quote (you may be surprised with the cost)

www.blitzpaintball.net
www.GISportz.com
Stepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:07 PM #7
rkhig
Virginia Tech

plays in the NXL
rkhig is an NCPA player
rkhig plays in the APPA D4 division
rkhig supports Empire
rkhig is All In
its not that expensive.
rkhig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:24 PM #8
jtcrowder49

jtcrowder49 is an NCPA player
jtcrowder49 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
jtcrowder49 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
jtcrowder49 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhig View Post
its not that expensive.
Care to elaborate or back up your claim?
jtcrowder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:24 AM #9
Cookybiscuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepchild View Post
It does not cost that much to have done. The problem is finding a place that will do it. It only has the possibility of flaking or chipping if it's done on top of chrome/nickle plating. It can be done on bare aluminum or even anodized aluminum. Much like anodizing the finish it goes in with is the same finish it will have in the end. A lot of the original aurora parts where chrome plated first becasue it gave them the really high gloss, shiny finish. Use google and find places that will do it, call them and get a quote (you may be surprised with the cost)
Thanks alot for the info, really helps. Is the difference between standard aurora and a one that was nickel/chrome plated first noticeable? Also you say it can be done over a normal anno, can that be done to determine a dominant colour? If you know what I mean.

Is the flaking down to poor durability and physical damage, or just degradation of the plating over time and exposure to air or something?

Thanks.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM #10
Stepchild

Stepchild is a Moderator
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookybiscuit View Post
Thanks alot for the info, really helps. Is the difference between standard aurora and a one that was nickel/chrome plated first noticeable? Also you say it can be done over a normal anno, can that be done to determine a dominant colour? If you know what I mean.

Is the flaking down to poor durability and physical damage, or just degradation of the plating over time and exposure to air or something?

Thanks.
From my understanding and talking to a few of these companies the color of the anodizing does not matter and will not effect the finish color(s). As for the chrome plating, yes it will make a difference, but how much of a difference would be up to you. No matter how much polishing you do to aluminum it will never have the sheen that a chrome finish does. You can make aluminum pretty damn shinny but you also have to remember that aluminum is a softer metal that will not retain that sheen without a lot of work. The cleaning solutions that are used to prep the part for aurora will dull the aluminum surface slightly, so it won't turn out as shinny as it would with chrome.

As for the flaking. It is a factor of poor chrome plating, which unfortunately is a standard in the paintball world. Chrome plating is an extremely durable coating if it is done correctly. Which usually involves a very aggressive sand blasting of the aluminum parts to roughen the surface so the chrome sticks. Also on aluminum chrome should be done in 3 step. 1st a layer of copper, then a layer of nickle, then the chrome. Unfortunately most chrome i have seen and stripped off of paintball guns only has 2 layers (nickle and chrome) and the aluminum is not sand blasted or roughened up. This causes the flaking problems. This is done because the copper coating is normally the thickest of the 3 layers and can cause tolerance problems in a paintball gun. I remember seeing old autocockers that had been chromed (correctly) that screws did not screw in anymore and the bolts were very very tight.

Hope that helps

www.blitzpaintball.net
www.GISportz.com
Old 07-06-2012, 05:05 PM #11
Cookybiscuit

Thanks a tonne

One thing I forgot, assuming the 3 staged chrome guns can be made usable again, whats the durability on those like compared to annoing?

Last edited by Cookybiscuit : 07-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 PM #12
acmeman

acmeman is playing at Living Legends VII
acmeman has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
acmeman has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The plating shop should be able to plug the various holes that you do not want plated.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:23 AM #13
Cookybiscuit

I see thanks, so if its all done properly it can be practical to use?
Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM #14
Hogzilla88
Oh You Fancy Huh?

http://customcockers.com/forum/showt...4-Aurora/page5
Hogzilla88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 03:07 PM #15
Cookybiscuit

It seems like more trouble than its worth if it'll fall to bits. Thanks.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 PM #16
Malitov
Ready for some pain?

Malitov owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Malitov has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Malitov has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I checked on it about a year ago and the prices I got were anywhere from $200 to $500. The guy whose claiming it costs "THOUSANDS" is obviously making it up.

Co-Captain Knights Templar
Malitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:51 PM #17
Lazzrus

Isn't it about a grand to do a thunderstruck marker?
Lazzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM #18
Stepchild

Stepchild is a Moderator
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazzrus View Post
Isn't it about a grand to do a thunderstruck marker?
This is a little random but the answer to your question is yes. When pk selective was doing the thunder struck ano (which to my knowledge they do not do anymore) they were charging up to about 1200 to have it done. When Piers left pk, to do his own thing, they stopped doing a lot of the really graphics anodizings.

www.blitzpaintball.net
www.GISportz.com
Old 07-09-2012, 11:44 PM #19
Lazzrus

The only reason I mention it is that maybe that's where people are thinking its in the thousands to do aurora. I had always thought that thunderstruck was way more expensive and the reason you always saw so very very few
Lazzrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:48 AM #20
speedstar808

www.facebook.com/neochromeparts
speedstar808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:07 AM #21
speedstar808

Well we do the Aurora coating, here is our thread.

Hit us up!!!

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3888980
speedstar808 is offline   Reply With Quote