Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-01-2005, 02:25 PM #1
psularryo

Want to get funded?

*Update* I no longer maintain my website and it would appear that the powerpoint has disappeared into the void of the internet, please contact Tyler Nehlig at Penn State, he's misfittyhere on PBN

Alright well, Penn State has historically been one of the biggest school-supported teams out there and hopefully some of our good luck will start to rub off on all of you. This year, we asked for more funding than ever so that we could participate in Class A. For schools in our situation this might be a stretch because the up-front costs (ie. Membership fee) are significantly higher than in 5-Man.

I've assembled a quick and easy guide on how to get your team funded this year...OK, OK.... most of it is just a powerpoint, but it's a pretty sweet one.

Part 1 - Prerequisites

1) Rank high enough in your conference to get a bid to join Class A.
(Currently only the top 4 interested teams from each division will be invited to play, with preference given to those who have played Class A previously)

2) Discuss joining Class A with your team, let them know costs may be higher, but the benefits are sweet. Get a group consensus before you pursue a bid.

3) Talk to Chris Raehl and/or myself and/or Rob Ortiz and let us know that you are interested and can commit to Class A.

If you're not playing Class A, all you need to do is simply join the NCPA by registering on www.college-paintball.com

__________________________________________________ _____________

Part 2 - Preparation

1) Call your student funding organization, or rec sports department and schedule a brief informal meeting. Facial recognition is key, get to know these people and kiss their ***, them liking you could be the difference between $75 bucks and $20 grand. No Joke.

2) Meet with said department, get a gist for how the funding system works. Who is eligible? For how much each year? Is there a cap? What forms do I need to fill out? Do they need confirmation of dates/prices from the sponsoring organization(NCPA)?

3) Schedule a formal meeting with them. If you are a recognized student organization THIS IS YOUR RIGHT. If they give you a line of bull****, threaten legal action. It worked for us back in the day.

4) Do some detective work. Find out who is on the board, do they have any gripes, or things to watch out for? Once our board was headed by a student who was on one of the largest "Anti-Gun/Anti-Violence associations" in the state. We had to be prepared to defend ourselves.

Talk to other student organizations in your department, find out what they did, what worked for them, what to watch out for. Sports like Mountain Biking, Skiing/Snowboarding and the like are most akin to paintball, at least in the school administration's eyes.

5) You need to be prepared for questions, lots of questions, think of it as a job interview. Questions such as the following will no doubt come up, be prepared to answer them fully, and in laymans terms.

"What is Paintball?"
"What is Class A compared to Class AA"
"Don't you use guns? That's pretty violent isn't it?"
"Why should we fund your organization?"
"How many girls do you have in your organization? - Why don't you have any? Don't you think you should have more?"
"How will funding your organization increase the quality of life here at (insert school name here)?"
"What will you do if you don't get funded?"
"We've noticed that you fell in rankings last year, why did that happen? Why should we fund you again/for more money?"

__________________________________________________ ______________

Part 3 - Meeting

1) Prepare a Powerpoint presentation to take to the meeting, find out if there is AV equipment available or if you have to supply your own.

I created a fairly good one this year, and though it is based on a proposal to fund us for Class A, it can be modified to suit anyones needs. Don't worry if your resumé isn't as complete as Penn States, it's taken years of work to get where we are at now.

Download it here:
www.personal.psu.edu/lao138/upacpowerpoint.ppt

Things to include in your own presentation:

WHY SHOULD WE FUND YOU?
- Team Accomplishments/Goals

This will get your foot in the door with them mentally. Prove to them that you are awesome and deserve thousands of dollars.

WHAT EXACTLY ARE WE FUNDING?
- Information on the Division, requirements, Season, etc...

Everyone loves some background information.

HOW MUCH DO YOU NEED?
- Breakdown of costs, and what you are asking for.

Now that you've warmed them up, toss the numbers on the table and ask for the check.

2) Be Professional! A shirt and tie is a good way to show this, greet people with a firm handshake, etc...again, think of it like a job interview.

3) Bring Backup! Trophies, newspaper articles, DVDs all of the above will only help your cause. Also bring another officer, they may want two perspectives in the room, just make sure you are both on the same page.

4) Bargain! CSTV is going to be huge this year, as most colleges get it on campus. These committees love publicity, and CSTV is an awesome bargaining chip. Make sure to remind the committee that if they pay for you to play Class A you will be on CSTV this season.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Part 4 - Epilouge

1) Recieve Check in the Mail, send a cut to me for all of this advice

or

2) Be denied and keep trying! The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say. If they keep turning you down, try again until you are so annoying they just throw money at you to shut you up. (Also worked for us in the past)

Be aware that you may need to come back in for a seperate hearing, committees may need more specific details. This is a good sign, dont be discouraged and make sure you get to the second meeting.

Anyways, thats all for now...I hope you've enjoyed my little lecture here, and I hope it works for you. The sooner more schools support our league and teams, the sooner we will be legitimized as a real sport. Oh and Chris, can i get a sticky?

Last edited by psularryo : 08-14-2008 at 07:12 PM.
psularryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 04:02 PM #2
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Very nice work Larry. You should HTMLize this and I'll put it on the main NCPA site (and you could also post it on the NCPA forums.)

One thing to add: It takes longer to get results, but figure out how to get elected to whatever board controls the money that you want, and get as many of your friends elected as possible. You can then trade money for paintball in exchange for supporting the other board members' pet projects.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:39 PM #3
pa1ntball 56
Hi my name isn't Titties

pa1ntball 56 plays in the PSP
pa1ntball 56 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pa1ntball 56 is an NCPA player
pa1ntball 56 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
nice, i plan on useing this, thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 07:43 PM #4
Zildjian99

you might want to host a charity event too, people love that stuff. we actually just got contacted today by the local newspaper are are going to have an article about us which we hope will help us get recognition and funding.
Zildjian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2005, 11:45 AM #5
OU_MUNKY

wow, thats the exact strategy we developed(yes it worked) however our school has a 1 year probational period after becoming a club sport(only funding available)
OU_MUNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:15 PM #6
ecpballer21

nice tips, im goin to talk to my sister about gettin a team started at her college
ecpballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 02:26 PM #7
ChildofPaintball32
CRANKY OLD MAN

me and my friend are trying to create a team from PTI and that is a really good idea i am gonna use your steps

society is on the short bus to hell and Obama is driving
ChildofPaintball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:45 PM #8
ChildofPaintball32
CRANKY OLD MAN

you know what dude if we can get the funding i would deff consider sending some your way hahahahaha

society is on the short bus to hell and Obama is driving
ChildofPaintball32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 02:26 PM #9
Dunney

thanks man, very well writeen and thought out
Dunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 01:30 AM #10
OU Didge Man
Ohio is for Ballers

Good work, that just about covers it. Here's a few tidbits that can come in handy.

Always have either pictures or videos with you at your presentation. Nobody but a tournament paintballer knows what tournament paintball is.The first thing that pops into their heads when you say paintball is ghile suits and tippmanns. Your pictures should be nice clean shots of a team in full(matching) uniforms, right before the break is good. Even if it isn't you it will help them to understand. If you want to show a video, give them a clip of the Nationals DVD, then explain to them that the clip they just saw was on National Television.
OU Didge Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 10:54 PM #11
AzYaTTic- OuTkaSt

sounds kool anybody try it yet?
AzYaTTic- OuTkaSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:09 AM #12
HSUReddiePB
JL JL JL JL JL JL JL JL

yea! got $700 in jerseys, head wraps, barrel bags, and a banner for free from the school!
HSUReddiePB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:48 PM #13
SamBenson

nice deal
SamBenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:25 PM #14
griffith

UW Madison got $800 from our student org board, though we asked for $8000, its a start.
griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:05 PM #15
Paintballapro2
Wootsauce!

Im in the airforce, and the airforce likes to have their name stamped on everything, (they are on D1GP drift racing) so you think i could manage to get some free money from them? We have our own college (CCAF Community College of the Air Force) and everything. I know alot of guys that would play more tourneys if we didnt have to dump so much of our own money into it. (we buy in bulk and with discounts from local stores and everythign and its still not enough).
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field with your head held high, and it doesn't matter that you failed a test, didn't get the girl, or that you got a ticket on the way there . . . your world is right for the next couple of hours."
Cocker Haiku
Did it work before?
You screwed with it, didn't you?
Got what you deserve.
Paintballapro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM #16
Snido
VT Alumni

Snido plays in the PSP
Snido is an NCPA player
Snido plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintballapro2 View Post
Im in the airforce, and the airforce likes to have their name stamped on everything, (they are on D1GP drift racing) so you think i could manage to get some free money from them? We have our own college (CCAF Community College of the Air Force) and everything. I know alot of guys that would play more tourneys if we didnt have to dump so much of our own money into it. (we buy in bulk and with discounts from local stores and everythign and its still not enough).
Ask them, tell them you will slap a sticker on every piece of your gear, and square inch of your body if they will throw money at you
Feedback
Snido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM #17
Formula51
its an otter.

hey Snido, VT is one of my options for college. wats the deal with the paintball club? funded or not? any other stuff would be great.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:40 PM #18
RipShocker8989

Im going to try this out. Now i just need help convincing people to play
Trauma Fan #834
ASU
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...ripshocker8989
RipShocker8989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 AM #19
semiprohooker
Molon Labe

I feel you on the convincing people to play. Working on that right now.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM #20
baglenutz2

has anyone tried this at a highschool im sure the chances would be way lower that for a college team but i go to high school with no sports teams so maybe this could be a breakthrough so if anyones tried it reply im willing to try it out.
baglenutz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 PM #21
DI*killa

DI*killa is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
DI*killa donated to help Peyton Trent
DI*killa is an NCPA player
tennessee got a good amount of funding this year.

good info on here

CHATTANOOGA CEP
Robbie Goldsmith #14
DI*killa is offline   Reply With Quote