PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM #1
SirJono

has been a member for 10 years
new MacDev owner here

Hey all,

About to join the macdev owner's group. Just ordered a VX'ed clone and couldn't be more stoked. I took the last 7 years off of playing and have just been getting back into paintball. Was saddened that WGP is no longer around, really happy that SP bit it, and noticed Macdev seems to have made some good progress in the mainstream market. When I left I think it was the cyborg that was just beginning to be heralded as most underrated marker.

I immediately picked up a used Axe that has been serving me well the last couple months, but found an awesome deal on this VX'd clone that I couldn't pass up.

I was really just wondering if there is anything special I need to know about taking care of a Clone. The previous owner said it was a V2 that he completely VXed. Always cleaned and lubed after every time playing, etc.

Back in the day I always shot spyders/clones until I got a 3.5 cocker (which I still have). So I am already in the habit of cleaning everytime after playing and even a bit of tinkering with the cocker.

I keep reading these threads where people say the clone is harder to care for? I downloaded the manual and it doesn't seem to crazy. If anything I won't be able to get my head around using all the firing modes and settings.

Any input is appreciated. Supposed to get the marker by the weekend, all cleaned lubed and ready to go. I wasn't going to tweak anything, just go out and rip for a day. Clean bolt drivetrain/wipe it down. rinse/repeat. Last thing I want to do is mess it up as it's supposed to be shooting well. Thanks
Blue Dust 3.5 Autococker #160668
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
~ 47 cu/3000 psi Nitro Duck
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
SirJono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 PM #2
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

Mark S. works for a Paintball manufacturer
 plays in the NXL
Mark S. plays in the APPA D4 division
Sounds like you're already on the right track, having familiarized yourself with the manual already.

Some good info is here in the stickies in the Clone Info/FAQ thread:

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3302914

Since it's used and you never know how it was treated I would do a full breakdown and clean / lube it. Go through the regulator as well since you never know how long it's been since anyone serviced it. If the reg seat is getting a bit worn, flip it. If both sides are worn, replace it. A spare reg seat and o-rings are good to have in your bag.

Maintaining the Clone is not difficult at all. You seem familiar with marker maintenance so I don't see you having any problems. Most people that complain about maintenance on the Clones have never actually owned one. The drivetrain has more o-rings than most, but the majority of them are static. The trade-off is how fantastic they shoot. After performing maintenance a few times it will become second nature.

While the Clone can handle anything from SLP to HP, I wouldn't recommend using HP unless you don't have another choice. You ideally want to run mid, low, or super low pressure. All work well.

The new Militia Lube they came out with recently is fantastic and I would recommend using this for your newly acquired marker:

http://www.aggressivesports.net/inde...tegory&path=73

If you have any questions along the way just post em up, we're here to help! Enjoy your new Clone
Mark S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM #3
SirJono

Thanks for the response.

I do have a few questions:
Where is the best place to buy a spare parts kit for the Clone? I have seen the o-ring kit on their website but it seems ridiculously overpriced. there are ones on ebay for less but I don't want to use them if they would harm the marker. Kinda sucks to have to pay $40 for the orings when most sets for other guns are closer to $15.

The manual says dow33 grease is okay for lubing up the gun. I have a small tub of it that I use for my axe. Okay to continue to use or would that Militia Lube make a big difference?
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM #4
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

plays in the NXL
Are you looking for spare parts other than just o-rings? www.oringmonkey.com is a good place to buy o-ring kits. Other spares that are good to have on hand are a replacement reg seat and some detents. Some people prefer to have just o-rings, and some like to go all the way to having replacement boards and solenoids...all depends on the person! It's a good idea to at least have the consumables though which would be a reg seat and some VX detents.

You can get any spare you would need from www.aggressivesports.net (great source for MacDev parts, markers, and service) or from MadDev directly.

Dow33 technically will work but it's a bit too thick to be what I would consider optimal. I really would recommend some of the new lube as it's great stuff.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:08 PM #5
SirJono

I think I'll just grab a spare o-ring set for now. I think it's coming with the stock marker lube as well. it'd be nice to have a whole marker's worth of backup stuff.. but you gotta draw the line somewhere eh!
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 11-20-2012, 10:58 PM #6
poweredbyink
MacDev Militia

poweredbyink works for a Paintball manufacturer
poweredbyink plays in the APPA D5 division
Welcome to the Militia.
My entire view of paintball changed when I held my Clone for the first time.
Up until then, I had owned many markers, but I had never truly "loved" one.

I could write pages on how incredible Macdev markers are, but I dont have to as all one has to do is shoot one to find out.

As Mark said, Dow 33 will work (technically speaking) but nothing comes close to the performance and reliability that you get from Macdev Militia Lube.

Get yourself a few spare O ring kits (I highly recommend www.aggressivesports.net) As the service and professionalism that I have received from them is like none other.

And all that's left to do, is to hold her in your hands and begin the love affair.
poweredbyink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:49 PM #7
SirJono

Got the clone today. just shot a hopper in the backyard... easily the best gun I've ever shot (not saying much but still). Axe is for sale now! will miss it but I'm confident this is greener pastures.

It came with a tub if militia lube. hope it works well, it sure doesn't smell good.
Thanks for all the input in this thread. Hoping to take it to a field this weekend and really get my money's worth!
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 11-21-2012, 09:27 PM #8
firefoxx04
Up the Irons

firefoxx04 supports Bob Gurnsey
firefoxx04 plays in the APPA D3 division
firefoxx04 supports DLX Technology
violent pb jelly would be a great choice for grease. mac dev recomends the new malitia lube.
firefoxx04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 PM #9
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

plays in the NXL
I'm assuming the Militia Lube that came with your Clone was the original stuff, which is really good. The latest Militia Lube is definitely superior but the original stuff is by no means bad. I used it for quite a while before switching to their latest rev.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:58 PM #10
SirJono

So I got my VX'd clone and it's absolutely amazing. Best marker I've owned by far. want to take good care of this one and hope to have for years.

Quick question though: I was able to clean/lube the drivetrain and bolt pretty easily following the manual. I wanted to perform regulator maintenance but the thing seems rock solid. with an allen key in the bottom even I can't turn it.
In this video it doesn't seem like it should be that tight:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma0UJdS6LI0

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything before I use a wrench to get it apart... which I don't want to have to do.
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 11-27-2012, 02:09 PM #11
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

plays in the NXL
Do you mean you can't separate the bottomworks from the topworks (the first 2 things separated in the vid you linked)? Just trying to be clear what you can't get apart.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:42 PM #12
SirJono

yes, the bottomworks seems to be excessively tight. Just wanted to make sure I won't damage anything by using some elbow greese.
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 11-27-2012, 05:08 PM #13
Shooter28
PEACE

Shooter28 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
Shooter28 supports DLX Technology
Shooter28 supports Empire
It's a MacDev. It's solid.

Congrats on your pick up
ΞΞ

R.I.P.{HSP}
Gun Sale Thread | SHOCKER PARTS!!! | My gun collection | D00M.
Shooter28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM #14
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

plays in the NXL
As shooter above said, it's MD quality

Feel free to unscrew that thing with all of your might. If it doesn't come apart easily, the bottom of a tech mat, mouse pad, rubber gloves, jar opener can all provide gripping force.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:32 PM #15
SirJono

using the mousepad worked well . my reg was a little different than the one in the video. basically cleaned everything off, reg seat looked good. tried to keep piston tip and reg seat free of lube. relubed all the o-rings.

test fired after just to make sure no leaks. can't tell how it is without a chrono.
speaking of, how many of you own personal chronographs? I can't afford a big red one but do those handhelds work well?
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM #16
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

plays in the NXL
Glad to hear all is well with the reg.

I have an X-Radar chrono. Under a hundred bucks and works great!
Old 11-28-2012, 04:25 PM #17
SpeedballTrix
SPARTAAAAAAAAAA!!!

As an autococker owner there is no new gun that will present a maintenance challenge to you.
A lot of the newer players talk about spool guns being "difficult" to maintain because "easy to maintain" is removing the bolt pin, wiping the bolt down, regreassing it and putting it back in. Once you say "wet the orings" brains start bursting all over pbnation.

I still miss shooting my 'cocker sometimes (still have two but they never come out) but the truth is modern guns just cant be beat for consistency and reliability.
Part of me wishes I could say my 'cocker is more accurate than my Droid or Borg but it's just not. As long as you keep your Clone in working order (which I can tell will be no problem for you) you just put air in the bottom and paint in the top and point it at things you want to be painty.

Welcome to the family.

Cousins Tournament Series: Gone but not forgotten.

MacDev Droid and Cyborg. Destroyers of faces.
SpeedballTrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:28 PM #18
SirJono

So I've had my clone out 3 times, now, and absolutely love it. I've brought my autococker and axe a few times but can't put the clone down for even a game. I should say I took Mark's advice and have cleaned the reg (it was well-maintained by the previous owner and I didn't do too much. my chronos in between games are pretty consistent). Also broken down the drivetrain and have a better understanding of how it works. I think I'm gonna be sold on Macdev stuff from now on!

The only problem I've been having is that when really ripping on it (semi uncapped, don't know how fast but it sounds close to the 12 bps on PSP) I get these random barrel breaks. I don't think it's a problem with the bolt or back in the breach, because even though it's happened several times, at the end of the day when I clean the marker the bolt and drivetrain are clean.

I was using RPI premium (which rolls through .685). It happens with the 685, 689 and 691 insert... seems really random. If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix that I'd appreciate it! Thanks
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback

Last edited by SirJono : 12-14-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM #19
pjerzy1

plays in the NXL
pjerzy1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pjerzy1 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
pjerzy1 is an NCPA player
pjerzy1 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJono View Post
So I've had my clone out 3 times, now, and absolutely love it. I've brought my autococker and axe a few times but can't put the clone down for even a game. I should say I took Mark's advice and have cleaned the reg (it was well-maintained by the previous owner and I didn't do too much. my chronos in between games are pretty consistent). Also broken down the drivetrain and have a better understanding of how it works. I think I'm gonna be sold on Macdev stuff from now on!

The only problem I've been having is that when really ripping on it (semi uncapped, don't know how fast but it sounds close to the 12 bps on PSP) I get these random barrel breaks. I don't think it's a problem with the bolt or back in the breach, because even though it's happened several times, at the end of the day when I clean the marker the bolt and drivetrain are clean.

I was using RPI premium (which rolls through .685). It happens with the 685, 689 and 691 insert... seems really random. If anyone has any thoughts on how to fix that I'd appreciate it! Thanks
i would break paint pretty often when my rotor was low. not sure what hopper you are using but i know that was the cause of mine. the ball would bounce just enough to the catch the bottom of the feedneck and break. I just had to make sure I kept track of paint and didnt shoot it dry.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:28 PM #20
SirJono

I'm using a Halo Too on speed setting 2. I think it came from the factory at a 5 and that was just a blender. I haven't noticed it happening more when it was low. And it definitely wouldn't be limited to when I was almost out.

Other setting that might matter:
Debounce: 10; Eyes: forced; Solenoid on time: 12ms; Ball settle delay: 5 ms; Cycle filter: 10%; Anti Bolt Stick: 4ms; Mech Debounce: 1; Ramp Degree: 1.0
12" CP barrel kit
~ 12v Revvy
Picture 1 Picture 2

Feedback
Old 12-15-2012, 07:35 AM #21
Mark S.
CHOWDAH

plays in the NXL