PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-20-2004, 09:03 PM #1
JrVIOLATOR

has been a member for 10 years
Traveling on DELTA...if so, READ THIS!

Hey Guys, I know there is a few threads like this, BUT I was at the AIRPORT yesterday (Feb. 19th) and spoke with Delta Agents.

Here's what they said regarding compressed cylinders on an Aircraft:

You CAN travel with a Tank so long as,
1.) It's a cylinder, meaning Fill Nipple is removed.
2.) It has a Guage that Reads Zero to tell them it's not pressurized.

It will also help to cover it with the PSP letter so that there's no questions.

I think asked if this was just for this airport or for others. He told me it's a TSA regulation so the other Airports follow it too. It's government issued so Delta Follows it. Like I said...your best bet is to follow those 2 steps and cover your tank in the Letters from Emily Mood.

Let me know if you have any other questions regarding these procedures.

Also, Regarding markers...so long as there is no tank and no paint or hopper attached...You MAY check it. You CANNOT carry it on the plane with you.

Lata
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2004, 09:28 AM #2
Booya39
STORK

Booya39 is a Supporting Member
Booya39 is a founding member
Booya39 is a Professional paintball player
Believe me, it changes from airport to airport so whatever they said in Atlanta might not fly in the rest of the country. That's why last year there was a huge problem with players flying back from Chicago... they all managed to get there ok but got hassled when trying to leave.

"well in Atlanta they said it was ok." won't work when they tell you that you can't bring your bottle on. It's a coin flip.

- no pun intended -

If you think school is hard, try being stupid.

Last edited by Booya39 : 02-21-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2004, 10:42 AM #3
LilSnoopy

that is very true...but if that is the main rule that delta uses...dont they have to use it all over the US.

ex. The guy in LA says we cant fly with these tanks...then we say call corporate headquarters and find the ruling...If the rule then states we are allowed to bring air tanks...then they should let us...but I think we are shipping our tanks anyways.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:42 PM #4
Jeff@LostGen
Willy Wonka

Jeff@LostGen is a Supporting Member
By the time it takes you to win your arguement with the guy in LA you'll have already missed your flight. Make it easy for yourself and everyone involved by just mailing the thing to the hotel. Saves you from a great deal of hassle.
Old 02-21-2004, 01:43 PM #5
Booya39
STORK

....because we all have the corporate headquarters phone number for all major airlines in the cell...

When you have to sit there and make a fool of the TSA agents you're wasting your time. If you're not on time you'll be missing your flight b/c some fool doesn't know rule # 2,053,846.

Old 02-22-2004, 11:23 PM #6
hawkey
I do things

hawkey is a Supporting Member
hawkey is a founding member
Also the pilot has the ability to decide if they want to fly with the tank on. Just because the FAA and TSA say you can doesnt mean that a) pilots will allow it or b) that individual airlines will. I flew on Airtran 3 times last year out of Philly all 3 times and 1 time we took 20 tanks on the plane the next 2 times I wasn't allowed with my 1 tank and had to have my ticket exchanged with another airline that would allow it. Call your individual ticket office get the name of the person you spoke with and if need be their employee number if they tell you you can fly with the tank so you have that at check in and security checks. Paintball Markers have never been a problem for me.
Trader Feedback
url][/url]
Old 02-23-2004, 12:05 PM #7
spazspike
Banned

spazspike is a Supporting Member
Flown:

Delta - 5 times
Continental - 4 times
Jetblue - 3 times
Southwest - 2 times
America West - 1 time
American - 5 times
United - 2 times

All of these times I've had an air tank and paintball marker with me. Not once have I ever encountered a problem that has prevented me from missing my flight or being forced to strip anything down.

I declare it's paintball equipment, I keep both items in my bag, marker in a seperate hard and locked case. The tank is declared empty.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:56 PM #8
TheRoc

That does it, I cant take this crap anymore.

When you call delta, they have a search system on their computer to find what is and is not allowed on their planes.

Under the search "paintball gun". Deltas rule states that you can bring a paintball marker with out the C02 (i know) tank because the C02 tank is declared a hazardous material.

I know, I know. We are using compressed air cylinders more comparable to Scuba tanks than C02.

BUT, if a tickett counter person is a dipsht and reads the whole "hazardous material" thing. AND knows nothing about paintball and how none of us use C02 anymore, you might get shafted by some paranoia nonsense.

My team is shipping.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:30 PM #9
Twerk

Or detach your regs from your bottles, when security sees this, they don't even necessarily check your bag for any further exception.

The only time i was ever hassled at the airport was when a tank wasn't compleetly empty, in that case they hooked an asa up to it and drained the air and then we were on our way.

I've never had a problem with TSA. Usually what i do is not even mention a word to the agent at the airlines desk and just tell TSA that i have paintball equipment or not even mention it to TSA and wait till it goes through the xray and stand around until it does then explain when they pull it for inspection.

If you fly enough then you usually see the same TSA agents who start to recognize you and things become smoother and smoother. I just flew from Pittsburgh to San Fran this weekend without a hitch.

good luck
Old 02-25-2004, 04:15 PM #10
Booya39
STORK

It's the hollow space in your tank that sets off the Xray machines. It can happen if you have enough tubes in your bag as well.

Old 02-25-2004, 07:02 PM #11
JrVIOLATOR

My Captain said they checked their tanks all last season. They just stand there when the agent inspects the gear and you literally COVER your tank in the PSP letters. THat way, if they have any questions, they can read one of the letters attached to your tank, and ask you yourself.

Peace