Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 PM #1
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

KINGKILLA21 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
KINGKILLA21 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Barrels and such?

Hey guys so I'm ordering a spyder vs board, a cp no rise clamping feedneck for spyder vs, anyways my question is which bore should I get for the barrel? I want to be able to use this one and only barrel and I want it to be as accurate as possible, I live in Canada btw so should I get 685,689, or 693? Thanks alot guys
KINGKILLA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2012, 12:53 AM #2
SKI008

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
Barrels have very little to do with accuracy. Stock spyder barrels are pretty bad so a new barrel will probably be an improvement but your paint makes far more of a difference. Buy better paint.

I don't know what paint size in Canada but it's been a long time since I've seen anything bigger than .685 so I'd say get .685 or smaller. Queue the underbore vs. overbore debate. Basically as long as you are consistently tight or consistently too big you're going to be seeing the same consistency over the chrono from the barrel. Underboring is more air efficient. Some people are going to come in here immediately after I post this and tell you that underboring breaks more paint. That is not true (provided you aren't trying to do something ridiculous like a .689 ball through a .675 barrel but given the paint sizes I've been seeing you'd have to try really hard to get a bore that was so small it would lead to more paint breakage) from personal experience in 9 and a half years of playing and also several youtube vids I am nearly positive underboring has no effect on ball breakage. Or, to put it another way, I've seen tests on youtube that show you can underbore around .008 or so smaller than the paint's size without negative effects. I've never seen a similar study stating the opposite and I run a .679 or .682 barrel on all my guns.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:00 AM #3
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

in theory under boring would be best but in the summer when paintballs get bigger because of the heat wouldnt that cause alot of breaks?

Sickest spyder rs around!
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3892297

You air up your marker, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed that test, that your girlfriend broke up with you, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours,... this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. play it.. Paintball.

98% percent of ballers wipe, if your part of the 2% that has some sense of honor add this to your sig
Old 11-16-2012, 04:17 AM #4
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

ps i will be using 0.68 caliber paintballs? and does the length matter? i was thinking 12 inch

You air up your marker, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed that test, that your girlfriend broke up with you, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next couple hours,... this is your heaven on earth.. live it.. love it.. play it.. Paintball.

98% percent of ballers wipe, if your part of the 2% that has some sense of honor add this to your sig
Old 11-16-2012, 04:39 AM #5
p8ntballer101
YETI

p8ntballer101 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
p8ntballer101 supports Ninja Paintball
14 inch and get a cheap barrel no offense but spyder threaded barrels arent exactly a hot compodity. get a small bore ur right cold equals shrinkage
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 AM #6
p8ntballer101
YETI

p8ntballer101 is playing at Living Legends Dreaded
p8ntballer101 supports Ninja Paintball
king diggin the sig brah
Old 11-16-2012, 07:55 AM #7
rexisme

rexisme supports DLX Technology
Honestly...... you should pick up whatever spyder threaded barrel you can find in a .689.

Lets face it, not knocking the gun but, you're using a spyder vs. With that gun, it would be pretty safe to assume that you are playing rec ball or woodsball. I stated in another thread, if that is all you are doing, the amount of difference you will see by underboring will not outweigh the pain in the *** you're going to have trying to get it right with rec/woods ball grade paint. But hey, if you want to spend more time taking apart and cleaning your gun than actually using it. Give it a go.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM #8
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

Yeah I only play rec/ woodsball that's why I'm only upgrading the board barrel and feedneck, so I should get the .689?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM #9
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballer101 View Post
king diggin the sig brah
Thanks man ps cold wont really be a problem more heat

Old 11-16-2012, 09:45 AM #10
rexisme

rexisme supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGKILLA21 View Post
Yeah I only play rec/ woodsball that's why I'm only upgrading the board barrel and feedneck, so I should get the .689?
Do you really even need to upgrade the board? To me I'd spend the money on other gear if I needed it... but if its worth it to you, go for it.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM #11
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

Yeah I have everything gear wise, plus my board is messed up, one of the lights stays on when I turn the gun off so it drains the battery

Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 AM #12
peacob

peacob owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
peacob supports DLX Technology
I personally wouldnt even waste the money fixing your current board and buying upgrades.... Save up and just get a better gun... you'll be happy you did.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:21 PM #13
offthahorse

offthahorse has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
offthahorse has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
first things first https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...5#post77266565

Maybe he really really likes his current gun. Maybe (and i actually dont know on this one) the cost of the board, barrel and feedneck is just the amount hes willing to spend, maybe a "better" gun is out of his price range. Maybe hes gauging the sport to see if its something hes even really interested in. I bought a cheapie mountan bike recently, in my head, i could not justify spending 500+ on a mountain bike cause i didnt even know if id enjoy riding on a regular basis, i knew id be getting a subpar product for what i was willing to spend, but i factored in the risk of riding once and never again. Turns out i love to ride and have been pretty frequently, eventually ill upgrade to a "better" bike but im enjoying the one i have pretty well for now.

Doesnt the newbie guide tell you to get cheaper, lower end guns to start with for that very reason? Also, as you get into higher end guns, theyre more complex and you risk ending up with something that doesnt work that you dont know how to fix. why is this a good idea IF hes on a budget?
offthahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:27 PM #14
SKI008

plays in the NXL
Quote:
No that is too big. .685 or less. Even in the summer you're not going to be seeing .693+ paint unless paint in Canada is a lot bigger than it is in the US.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:06 PM #15
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

yeah im not new to paintball, but i do only play woodsball with friends/ the rare speedball game, i dont want to get a mad expensive gun because the way i play doesnt require me to at all, the rs does the job perfect for me, so i use a dynasty vlocity on the battery save mode, most people i play with use rentals and tippmans, so the rs is awesome compared and if i need to shoot 20 bps and light people up my set up will do it no problem plus i like being able to use co2 if i absolutely have to, and here in canada paint is 0.68 so im assuming its the same? out of the 3 sizes in my first post which will work best for all weather, hot, cold?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 AM #16
SKI008

plays in the NXL
Paint is always listed as .68 caliber on the box that doesn't mean it's actually boring out to that size. If you have calipers next time you buy a case of paint see what those show. I guarantee your calipers won't read ".680".

Buy a .685 or smaller barrel. Youtube "underbore barrel test" and look for the (numerous) tests and videos on the subject if you want to see some statistics. I've seen 1 test that showed overboring to be better but that was from a guy shooting an A-5, with unregged CO2, outdoors in the wind which is hardly a controlled experiment. Every other test I've ever seen shows underboring and overboring to be about the same consistency wise with underboring having the advantage of being more air efficient.

But like I said in my first post you're not going to see a leaps and bounds improvement in accuracy from a barrel if your paint is ****ty, if you're using CO2, if your gun is inconsistent, if the weather is bad, if the air is humid and a whole host of other variables both controllable and uncontrollable. The biggest factors on accuracy are consistence and paint quality. Spyders are hard to make consistent, as are most low end guns.

If you really want to see an improvement, buy better paint and use compressed air if you don't already. In fact I wouldn't even buy that circuit board or the barrel if you don't have a compressed air tank first. THAT will improve shot to shot consistency more than a barrel will.

Last edited by SKI008 : 11-17-2012 at 12:21 AM.
SKI008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:32 PM #17
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

im using infinity paint, also i dont want to underbore by alot so should i get 685? and i am using hpa

Old 11-18-2012, 05:55 PM #18
peacob

Let me just ask you this question... how much are you spending all together after buying this new board, barrel, and feedneck? If you're spending anything more than 50$ then you should have just put that money to a used gun off the BST forum.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:53 AM #19
KINGKILLA21
YaKnOwWhOeH

i actually traded an iphone for the gun, vlocity, steely, new sly pants/ jersey, new sandana,new eclipse knee pads, so i havent spent any money on the gun, these 3 upgrades come to 99 bucks off ans

Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 AM #20
peacob

Quote:
i actually traded an iphone for the gun, vlocity, steely, new sly pants/ jersey, new sandana,new eclipse knee pads, so i havent spent any money on the gun, these 3 upgrades come to 99 bucks off ans
DO NOT SPEND 99$ on those three things. You could literally buy PMR or decently upped Ion for 100$.

Sell the gun for cheap, 25-50$. Put that money towards a better gun. I personally wouldnt even categorize a spyder as an entry-level gun... If anything find a used 07/08 PMR, Upped Ion or Ion XE (the XE would be a better choice)... just search around the BST forums, you're bound to find something.

Last edited by peacob : 11-19-2012 at 08:11 AM.
peacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:27 AM #21
ElJefe13

ElJefe13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ElJefe13 supports Ninja Paintball
ElJefe13 supports Empire
I don't know about other people, but I find paint that is consistently .689 or bigger. So I have a .684 Teardrop that I use, but also hang to that stock barrel for the ridiculous big paint.
ElJefe13 is offline   Reply With Quote