Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: What format should competitive paintball follow next year?
Keep two leagues: PSP and NPPL each have something to offer 390 17.33%
NPPL 7-Man (no coaching) 256 11.38%
PSP 5-Man RaceTo (coaching) 632 28.09%
PSP style RaceTo with more than 5 players on the field (coaching) 232 10.31%
NPPL style with less than 7 players on the field (no coaching) 173 7.69%
I don't care, just merge the leagues already, I'll play any of it. 429 19.07%
Just get rid of coaching and I'll play it. 486 21.60%
Just make sure it uses the point system and I'll play it. 197 8.76%
Pump tournaments - added by request late 217 9.64%
Woodsball Tournaments (like the UWL) - added by request late 270 12.00%
Timed Matches (not a race to a set number of points) - added by request real late 221 9.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2250. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 PM #43
Rogge

has been a member for 10 years
Bring skill back to the game. NO COACHING! and 10 man.
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM #44
Ahhhh!

Either the PSP "race" or the XBALL time limit formats with center flags are definitely the best for making a legitimate sport, IMO. The better or more prepared team wins more often than not.

I think more and more people are coming to the conclusion that coaching needs to go. It lessens important aspects of the game like communication and timing, and replaces it with a need for skilled sideliners and organization in the pits. I think most people value and enjoy watching skilled players over well organized pits. When my friends from outside paintball see an actual game of paintball, as opposed to a highlight real of bunkerings etc, they are usually unimpressed by the lack of "sneakiness" and movement that you would expect from a shooting game.

I personally like the 7-man field dimensions more. The longer field forces laners to be perfect, and I assume that percentage-wise, more players survive off the break, and make a more interesting game. It also allows for easier movement, and more big plays. Then again, the psp fields have always done a better job of creating a "tape-game" which is more visible to spectators. I think this could be done just as well on a 7 man field just using bunker placement, if that's what they want to go for.
Ahhhh! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 PM #45
cpjames253
Deuce-Nickel-Tre

cpjames253 supports our troops
cpjames253 plays in the APPA D4 division
i like both leagues and what they have to offer. but combing them and making a hybrid is just dumb. and really its not like coaching is that big of a game changer and if you think it is then frankly your team sucks and you should probably be doing a ton more closing drills. any good snake player or Doritos player will make the same solid moves regardless of weather or not some one is joy sticking them down the field.
Fmr. USMC
I'd heard they have problems with gay magazine clips, but are OK with high capacity boy scouts.-Pump scout
cpjames253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:28 PM #46
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyW0nka View Post
As the poll currently stands, 35% voted that there should still be some form of 7-man format offered or at least more than 5 players on the field. The number of people who want strictly 5-man/PSP? Also 35%.

Umad, bro?
Please tell me what the sign up numbers have been for both NPPL and PSP and come back to me. I don't need to further this debate anymore because the numbers speak for themselves.
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM #47
BIG T25

BIG T25 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
BIG T25 plays in the APPA D1 division
Quote:
Exactly. Why are professional players doing the exact same thing as divisional teams? I'm not paying to watch the pro's do the exact same thing I just saw everyone else do all weekend. Divisional paintball should be fun to play, pro paintball should be fun to watch. If it's not fun to watch, don't expect them to make money off the games.
I guess the NFL should start playing 13v13 with bigger fields then too? I mean it's just way too much like college football right now. How do they expect people to watch college football on saturday then watch NFL on sunday? oh wait.

And who said pro raceto7 isn't fun to watch? I personally can't stand watching 7man and would rather watch xball/raceto any day.

Quote:
That's exactly what SHOULDN'T happen. Only the best teams should move up. Otherwise you get teams that aren't ready in a division they can't win in. The only people who enjoy seeing that are the pro teams that get to play them in the prelims for easy points. Pro paintball should be hard as **** to play.
I'm not really sure what you are talking about here. Only the best teams move up as it is. Vicious and CEP did great it d1 so they moved up to pro. Sure they haven't won any events but that doesn't mean they don't belong there. I don't think any pro teams look at those 2 teams as "easy points".
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM #48
jesus01
That guy

jesus01 plays in the PSP
i could care less about he number of players or format. i just want to play some paintball, period. ill play any format with as many players as they deem needed.

i just wish coaching would go away.
jesus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:58 PM #49
BrHero225
ReFound Drive

BrHero225 plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
BrHero225 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by outkast kid View Post
Bring back real X-ball
exactly... remember them 15-20 man rosters and 20+ point matches.... oh the good ole days. now'days, games over as soon as the match gets good.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:05 PM #50
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

WillyW0nka is a Supporting Member
WillyW0nka plays in the PSP
WillyW0nka supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
Please tell me what the sign up numbers have been for both NPPL and PSP and come back to me. I don't need to further this debate anymore because the numbers speak for themselves.
Prove the attendance for the event is a direct effect of the number of players on the field and not the location, cost of attendance, marketing of the league or some other factor you overlooked.

You can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG T25 View Post
I guess the NFL should
Lolwut? This is the PSP/NPPL merger thread. We have a sub-forum in ST for football, I suggest you go look for it.

Quote:
I'm not really sure what you are talking about here.
Maybe because I wasn't talking to you.

WillyW0nka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 PM #51
KyLeBaRry

KyLeBaRry plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
KyLeBaRry plays in the MiLP
KyLeBaRry plays in the APPA Pro division
thoughout this year playing with the jesters we have done the numbers and calculated our paint consumption. with the amount of paint we shot this year, with the new longer demensions and slower game, we could of played originall xball with two 25 min halfs. i believe the only way paintball would flourish on television and grow as an active xgame like sport is if we exploit the gruling, griding, and fast paste game of original xball
KyLeBaRry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM #52
TheHef

TheHef owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Quote:
I guess the NFL should start playing 13v13 with bigger fields then too? I mean it's just way too much like college football right now. How do they expect people to watch college football on saturday then watch NFL on sunday? oh wait.

And who said pro raceto7 isn't fun to watch? I personally can't stand watching 7man and would rather watch xball/raceto any day.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about here. Only the best teams move up as it is. Vicious and CEP did great it d1 so they moved up to pro. Sure they haven't won any events but that doesn't mean they don't belong there. I don't think any pro teams look at those 2 teams as "easy points".
I'm sure if the NFL didn't have millions of people watching it and had dwindling numbers of participants like paintball it would change things.
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:15 PM #53
dstanley753
XOXO ~ Mad Hatter

dstanley753 posts videos on PbNation
dstanley753 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
What about the UWL and TTPL?

They are competitive paintball too!

GraveDiggersPaintball
Team Elder/ SGT at ARMS
dstanley753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM #54
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstanley753 View Post
What about the UWL and TTPL?

They are competitive paintball too!
Those will probably stay as their own leagues. They aren't in any danger of merging with the PSP and one format going away. However, I did consider adding a woodsball option.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:21 PM #55
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Those will probably stay as their own leagues. They aren't in any danger of merging with the PSP and one format going away. However, I did consider adding a woodsball option.
Weren't there tactical divisions for cup that ended up getting canceled due to a lack of interest? I think it would be better if they stuck with normal tournament play at these events.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:23 PM #56
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
Prove the attendance for the event is a direct effect of the number of players on the field and not the location, cost of attendance, marketing of the league or some other factor you overlooked.

You can't.

Lolwut? This is the PSP/NPPL merger thread. We have a sub-forum in ST for football, I suggest you go look for it.

Maybe because I wasn't talking to you.
You're honestly not even worth the effort. You are always in these threads trolling anyone who will bite. If you honestly think 7man is as popular as 5man, you are a seriously dense individual. It's more than obvious. Your arguments directed towards BIG T25 are childish. You're avoiding his point and attacking irrelevant parts of his statement in order to "win".

Just stop, there is nothing to gain here. Arguing just to argue isn't going to get you anywhere.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:25 PM #57
John
Administrator

Annual Supporting Member
John is an Administrator
John works for a Paintball manufacturer
 is playing at Living Legends XI
John supports Empire
John is All In
OK, I added pump events and woodsball events just now to the list.

We deserve better villains.
"I have not seen an automag shot in anger in 10 years." Tom Cole
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:28 PM #58
PaintBallMom08

PaintBallMom08 is for the Gunfight
PaintBallMom08 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadendkid View Post
Real Xball.

10 man....
ding ding ding!
PaintBallMom08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM #59
WillyW0nka
REGISTERED SEXY OFFENDER

I went ahead and deleted all of the derogatory remarks out of your post so as to not clutter the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhIoCoNtRActKilLa View Post
If you honestly think 7man is as popular as 5man, you are a seriously dense individual.
I already said I think the divisional portion should be 5-man. I just don't think 7-man should die when so many people obviously still enjoy it. I'm not sure why you're so keen on completely killing an entire format of paintball simply because you personally don't like to play it.

If there's a market for it and that market could potentially be profitable, why get rid of it? You're too biased toward 5-man to see this from the league's perspective. They need to make as much money as possible. They don't have to just choose whichever one is more popular and never allow the other one to be played ever again, that's ridiculous.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:32 PM #60
stlkilljoy
attack attack attack

stlkilljoy is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
stlkilljoy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
stlkilljoy owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
d3 and below = race to 3. no coaching. 5 man. ramping.
d2-d1 = race to 5. coaching. 5 man. stepped ramping.
pro = race to 7. coaching. 5 man. semi.
SCRUBSTATUSELITE

stlkilljoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:33 PM #61
TheGrimReeper
Rage Against The Machine!

i would like to see a 5man xball format with a lower roster limit.
say like 6 or 7 people is the cap at the most. this would make the switch between points a bigger aspect of the game and force people to be more athletic... because teams would not have 2 full lines.
the race to x is wack, it should be race to unlimited within the time given. (12 mins, 15 mins, ect.)
that would make teams rush down the field for more points (i.e. play to win) instead of sitting back once they are up on points(playing to not lose)

this would also allow for more teams to play because less people are needed on each roster.
a practice field with two regular teams(ten people on each) could turn that into three teams. (7,7,6)
-2012- 1st place PSP D2 Galveston Island, 4th place PSP World Cup
2012 Sponsors:
Empire/Hinkle PB/
FTJ Construction
Bird of Paradise Liquors
TheGrimReeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:35 PM #62
justinsp

justinsp is a founding member
justinsp plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
I'm pretty sure that some people above me may have said this... But make it ONE league to where there is old school Xball (2 halves/15 mins halves,12.5 bps, and only coaching on pit side) along with 7 man format at the same event. Kind of like they had when Xball started and they had 10 man and Xball at the same event.
I've been around for a while(since 2002) and played both leagues, every format possible and loved almost every format from 10 man, 7 man, 3 man, Xball, race to, etc etc... But old school Xball is where it's at. Some of the most intense matches/games ever. Those were the good years for me. Just my 2 cents, and every vote thing I have seen hasn't had the old school x-ball format as an option.

Thanks,
Justin Spencer
Old 10-25-2011, 01:42 PM #63
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

Quote:
I went ahead and deleted all of the derogatory remarks out of your post so as to not clutter the thread.

I already said I think the divisional portion should be 5-man. I just don't think 7-man should die when so many people obviously still enjoy it. I'm not sure why you're so keen on completely killing an entire format of paintball simply because you personally don't like to play it.

If there's a market for it and that market could potentially be profitable, why get rid of it? You're too biased toward 5-man to see this from the league's perspective. They need to make as much money as possible. They don't have to just choose whichever one is more popular and never allow the other one to be played ever again, that's ridiculous.
I'm not basing my opinion strictly off of my experiences. It is my opinion that paintball needs ONE format. In order to thrive, we should all concentrate on one format at a competitive level. I think a lot of people will agree with that.

Sure, 7man has a following. So did 10man. Where is it now? It's gone. Probably because it was too slow, expensive, etc. I see 7man the same way.

If we have any hope of becoming a legitimate sport, we need to work together for one common goal. Splitting the efforts into 2 separate leagues is a waste, in my opinion.

I'm not saying that the current 5man format is ideal. Honestly, I think it's garbage. All of the formats played on a national level are. They're watered down to the point where I question teams efforts to justify the expense. There needs to be much bigger changes than just a merger, but that is a topic of its own. My point is that 5man isn't perfect, but I still think it's leaps and bounds ahead of 7man. Its more spectator friendly, requires more athletic ability, etc.

Do you guys who love 7man really dislike 5man as much so that you wouldn't even play paintball if that was the format of choice?