Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2009, 12:16 PM #86
JoeyDG
cat got your tongue?

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbwhat View Post
i live in vancouver and i know there are acualy stores on the other side of the boarder that u can have things shipped to and just go pick up. from there for a low price.
This is correct, and you'd be saving on SHIPPING COSTS (no international) and BROKERAGE FEES to send to a location like this.

But remember, If you don't DECLARE the equipment when you drive back over the border you could get in deep crap - the fines for "smuggling" can be high and can even lead to jail time. . . .

You could get lucky. . . .who knows. . . . . you're taking a chance by not declaring. . .

The allowances of "duty free" items vary depending how long you are in the USA. . . .

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#s4x1

What are your personal exemptions?

After each absence of 24 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties. This is your personal exemption. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada and you cannot include tobacco products or alcoholic beverages in this exemption. If the goods you bring in are worth more than CAN$50 in total, you cannot claim this exemption. Instead, you have to pay full duties on all goods you bring in.

After each absence of 48 hours or more

You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties. You must have the goods with you when you arrive in Canada. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called “Alcoholic beverages” and “Tobacco products” for more details.

After each absence of 7 days or more

You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties. Although you can include some tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, a partial exemption may apply to cigarettes, tobacco products and manufactured tobacco. See the sections called “Alcoholic beverages” and “Tobacco products” for more details. With the exception of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages, you do not need to have the goods with you when you arrive.

To calculate the number of days you have been absent, do not include the date you left Canada but include the date you returned. Dates matter but not times. For example, we consider you to have been absent seven days if you left Friday the 7th and returned Friday the 14th.
Return to Top of Page

Who is eligible for these exemptions?

You are eligible for a personal exemption if you are one of the following:

* a Canadian resident returning from a trip outside Canada;
* a former resident of Canada returning to live in this country; or
* a temporary resident of Canada returning from a trip outside Canada.

Even young children and infants are entitled to a personal exemption. As a parent or guardian, you can make a declaration to the CBSA for a child as long as the goods you are declaring are for the child's use.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...f5056-eng.html
http://216.251.47.25/dutyfree/customs.asp
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 AM #87
coolasice888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadows_fall View Post
^^^ I was planning on buying a tank from the states, would it get through with the regulator removed?
i just got my ninja tank from ANSgear. It took 11 days using usps, it has the reg connected to the bottle and everything they mark the package as gift. it went through the custom just fine as long as its TC approved.
coolasice888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM #88
timewaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinal View Post
i always thought canada and us had free trade. the government gets enough money, they don't need anymore.
It also depends of what the item is for free Trade and the duties you pay at the boarder, is you paying someone to check you package and clear it. Taxes are higher in Canada; if something is bought in the us, your still a Canadian Citizen and are subject to all Canadian Taxes when buying something out of the Country

This is free Trade your just paying the middle man to bring it across the boarder safely .... Without free Trade you could get taxed more just for buying out of the country

this is also to try and get you to buy things in Canada to help our economy
timewaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 PM #89
timewaste

Fedex Charges about 65 now due to the low Canadian dollar
I bought a rotor loader worth 160 us plus s/h and got charged 60 for brokerage fees
timewaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:33 PM #90
quiks

I'm buying a package deal from ANSGear and it includes HPA Tank. Should I get them to mark it as 'air' or will it be ok?
quiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM #91
jondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan211 View Post
Really? So why would the woman I spoke with at ICBC when I was picking up the transfer forms to buy a used car explicitly tell me that I should use the 'gift option' to avoid paying taxes?
This is instead of the old way of just declaring it to be worth $1, because if you declare the value as $1, that's exactly what you'll get from the insurance company when you write off your car.

That's a pretty smooth trick with refusing the package when UPS delivers it, but what worked for me once [I somehow doubt I would get away with it again] was calling them up the next day and complaining, in a calm and respectful way, about their very high brokerage fee and my understandable hesitation to ship anything with them again; after about 20 minutes, the representative agreed to refund me everything [taxes and brokerage fees.]
i recieved a paintball marker and c02 cylinder and podpack from actiionvillage in the states. ups dropped off the package then a month later i got a letter in the mail saying i owed 81$ in fees to ups. so i mailed them and said i returned the item because it was the wrong item and then they waived the fee.
jondar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:18 PM #92
MBUGS

So im a Canadian and im staying in Florida for 2 weeks. I just bought a used mini at one of the local paintballing stores. I should be fine taking this back across the border after my stay right? Im just wondering since i dont know much about customs and that stuff. Thank you for your kind consideration.
MBUGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:52 PM #93
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBUGS View Post
So im a Canadian and im staying in Florida for 2 weeks. I just bought a used mini at one of the local paintballing stores. I should be fine taking this back across the border after my stay right? Im just wondering since i dont know much about customs and that stuff. Thank you for your kind consideration.
declare it and put it in your checked luggage, not your carry on. Be very sure to say it is a paintball marker. Saying gun in an airport is pretty much like saying Jedi at a star trek convention. They will attack in groups
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:09 PM #94
MBUGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
declare it and put it in your checked luggage, not your carry on. Be very sure to say it is a paintball marker. Saying gun in an airport is pretty much like saying Jedi at a star trek convention. They will attack in groups
My parents and I actually drove to Florida. Does this make a difference at all?
Old 07-04-2009, 02:19 PM #95
Little_PB_Newb
www.jamesrphoto.com

Little_PB_Newb is a Paintball photographer
Little_PB_Newb donated to help Peyton Trent
Little_PB_Newb supports Team VICIOUS
Little_PB_Newb plays in the APPA beginner division
Let the border guys know you have it.
Little_PB_Newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 03:13 PM #96
MBUGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_PB_Newb View Post
Let the border guys know you have it.
Yeah for sure we will let them know.....thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 AM #97
Gankutsuou

Very helpful thread, thanks!
Gankutsuou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:37 PM #98
Frostbite13

Frostbite13 supports Team VICIOUS
Does anyone know what taxes/duties there are shipping FROM Canada in to the US?

t=2D/(v1+vF) with t being time, D being distance, v1 being the initial velocity of the paintball, and vF being the final velocity of the paintball.
Frostbite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:57 PM #99
Cwatson325

Cwatson325 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Ok so im doing a deal with a guy from Canada. He is shipping first and im sending him a Bob Long Vice, Empire pack, 4 pods, and an UL barrel. What would be the best way to send this? Im going to ship USPS because everyone recomends it but do I have to fill out a form as the post officer or something?
Cwatson325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 AM #100
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite13 View Post
Does anyone know what taxes/duties there are shipping FROM Canada in to the US?
If the product you are shipping from Canada is made in Canada,The U.S. or Mexico the product will be duty free because of the free trade agreement. As far as taxes I don't think there would be any unless the state you reside in has a tax payment agreement with the province from where the product is shipped. If you have any questions it doesn't hurt to contact U.S. Customs and find out what the rules are for importation of products into the U.S. Hope this helps
Psycho D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM #101
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwatson325 View Post
Ok so im doing a deal with a guy from Canada. He is shipping first and im sending him a Bob Long Vice, Empire pack, 4 pods, and an UL barrel. What would be the best way to send this? Im going to ship USPS because everyone recomends it but do I have to fill out a form as the post officer or something?
USPS should have the proper forms to fill out for an international shipment. First and foremost if you are shipping a marker to Canada you must put on the shipment info that it is a "Paintball Marker/Gun". You must also place "This is not a Firearm" and "Muzzle velocity 300FPS". According to the RCMP and Canada Border Services anything that shoots a projectile under 500FPS is not classed as a firearm in Canada. Since a paintball marker kind of looks like a real gun you must specify on the shipment that it is not a gun, otherwise it will be confiscated and the RCMP will start asking why you're trying to import a firearm into Canada. If you follow those simple rules, there should be no problem with the shipment.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:44 AM #102
CyberThug
Playing it Bogart

CyberThug is a Supporting Member
CyberThug is a founding member
CyberThug is reppin' sidebar 4 life
CyberThug is Legendary
CyberThug is Boss
CyberThug is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho D View Post
USPS should have the proper forms to fill out for an international shipment. First and foremost if you are shipping a marker to Canada you must put on the shipment info that it is a "Paintball Marker/Gun". You must also place "This is not a Firearm" and "Muzzle velocity 300FPS". According to the RCMP and Canada Border Services anything that shoots a projectile under 500FPS is not classed as a firearm in Canada. Since a paintball marker kind of looks like a real gun you must specify on the shipment that it is not a gun, otherwise it will be confiscated and the RCMP will start asking why you're trying to import a firearm into Canada. If you follow those simple rules, there should be no problem with the shipment.
Never had an issue with getting a marker into Canada.

Received a gun once that the description on the box was "Gun"
CyberThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:04 PM #103
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberThug View Post
Never had an issue with getting a marker into Canada.

Received a gun once that the description on the box was "Gun"
I guess it just depends on who at CBS decides to check a shipment. If you dot all the "I's" and cross the "T's" you can avoid a hassle just in case you get an overzealous customs officer. I was given this info from CBS and the RCMP for importing Paintball markers into Canada and it's not really a big deal to put it on the shipment. I have to agree that you can put some pretty crazy things on a shipment like "gun" and it just sails through the system. At least for me, I'd like it done correctly just to avoid a hassle with customs as you know how paranoid a lot of people get when they see or hear the word "Gun".
Old 08-29-2009, 04:57 PM #104
Canadian Killa (Banned)

Canadian Killa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Canadian Killa supports Team VICIOUS
Canadian Killa posts videos on PbNation
ok so im getting a mini, rotor and full freak kit in a trade and he is shipping first. How much do you think the taxes would come up to?
Canadian Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 PM #105
Psycho D
Say Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Killa View Post
ok so im getting a mini, rotor and full freak kit in a trade and he is shipping first. How much do you think the taxes would come up to?
What province are you in?