Old 10-14-2009, 12:53 PM #1
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
More fun because I'm bored at work

After a week gone, I had like 350+ unread email. And since that's clearly too many email to read, I think I'll end up waiting another week until anything that was gonna blow up did and I can move on with a relatively fresh slate. Or get fired. Probably fired if anyone from the office read this forum...

So, instead, I thought I'd create a new thread that may be of interest only to me and then read everyone responses while thinking smugly to myself "ha, i already knew that" or "fool. you FOOL". or "damn, that was a good idea".

Yeah, who am I kidding, that last one never happens. ...

Basically, I'd like to revisit the long ago discussion of the best local talent in New England, with an empahsis on "the next generation". Everyone (but Hurricanes) is in bounds for this (although, clearly players like Rob Landry, Buddy and Jonzo are less interesting to discuss, since they no longer play). I'd like to start by saying "start below the Hurricanes", but I think it may make sense to drag some 'Canes in for comparative purposes.

I think the pool is stronger today than it was a year ago, which is to say I think a few good teams could be put together from the pieces laying about.

Warzone Facebook
JeSSoP

RIP Ronnie, Paul
CD3 Forever
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2009, 01:09 PM #2
sumorai
FRENCHIE

sumorai is a Moderator
sumorai is playing at Living Legends V
sumorai is playing at Living Legends VI
Taking the canes out of the picture, and with Riptide-NEX blowing up, that basically leaves 187 cRew, Ducks, etc. as the top local talent.

As far as NEPL goes, I've been impressed by Synergy, NEAA, Lobsters and DTF.

Or do you mean particular individual players? If so, I'd go with Noel, Max, Nick, BJ, Blake, Mike Jeffrey, etc.

I am not a MacDev tech. Please do not PM me about their products. Click here instead

Last edited by sumorai : 10-14-2009 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:43 PM #3
J. Stein

J. Stein is a Supporting Member
J. Stein is a founding member
J. Stein plays in the PSP
J. Stein donated to help Peyton Trent
i meant individual players.

Warzone Facebook
JeSSoP

RIP Ronnie, Paul
CD3 Forever
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM #4
jjokeefe

BJ, Max, Nick L., Jeff Macari, Richie Byrnes, Mike Zirpolo. . .I think with 187 cultivating talent they are bringing some very good players along too. I'm trying to consolidate the rest of the talent in New England as well, and I know Archie has a strong organization. . .
Old 10-14-2009, 03:23 PM #5
danbob1088
succisa virescit

danbob1088 is a Paintball photographer
danbob1088 is an NCPA player
danbob1088 plays in the APPA D5 division
Jon, you forgot me. I mean, wtf dude.

I've seen a lot of good "young" players between Crisis, Ducks, and 187. To be honest, I haven't seen NEX play often, so I couldn't talk to their abilities. Most of what I've seen is AXBL related, but I'd echo Gabe and Jon's sentiments.

flickr
Old 10-14-2009, 03:39 PM #6
FU2N
Nerds

if we look at the AXBL/MXL standings we see the woburn monsters have been doing quite a fine job in that league to boot.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM #7
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes plays in the APPA D4 division
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
jeff isnt asking about standings as a team hes asking about individual players
Old 10-14-2009, 04:47 PM #8
chrisshanks

chrisshanks owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
I was good once
Old 10-14-2009, 06:26 PM #9
sniper314

sniper314 plays in the PSP
sniper314 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NEAA is starting to shape up which i have noticed, they have done pretty well in the 2nd and 3rd events.

Moral
Unifying
Noble
Responsible
Optimistic
Old 10-14-2009, 07:01 PM #10
alty66
cougar hunter

plays in the NXL
alty66 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Jeff is looking for the 1 or 2 or 3 players off of the teams that might be considered the better or best players on that team.

NEAA, yes as a team they have been shaping up but who is the best player(s) on the team?? IMO Josh cotier good player not good attitude and yes ive known josh a pretty long time.

just trying to get people back to individual players and less from what team is doing good

Fox 4 darkside 2019 ICPL/NXL classic
Shocktech GI
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 PM #11
jmac3

I would like to add to this, but I never notice individual players.

I have kind of been in my western mass paintball nowhere bubble to notice anyone from anywhere else this year.

As usual, this post is just to subscribe.
Old 10-15-2009, 01:17 AM #12
Xaerak
Just Live

Xaerak is a Supporting Member
Xaerak supports Bob Gurnsey
I see individual talent peaking, then the flow of a team making the players actually shine.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:32 PM #13
vdangelo9

I have been out of the game for a little while now but Gibby Quick from Riptide is easily top 3 non-pro players in the area. It's a shame that the talent on Riptide is rarely seen by most players in New England because they practice in Rhode Island. Anyone who has a two year track record on Division I X-Ball deserves credit where its due. I mean, being listed as a potential prospect being on an NEPL team is great and all, but these guys have been in the trenches with serious players year after year. When I played for Riptide we were playing pro teams like Trauma, playing as gridlock cause they didn't make pro cut for world cup, and taking them into overtime. Although Riptide may not have an outstanding record they have had some close games with some amazing teams, and definitely gone head to head with some of the best teams in the world (i.e.Aftermath, Avalanche, Damage). That experience alone should be recognized.

I just feel like the only people that ever end up on these things are the ones that always practice together at the same fields and play NEPL etc. Just My Two Cents.

Riptide

Last edited by vdangelo9 : 10-18-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 AM #14
empireguy20127
onelovepb

empireguy20127 plays in the PSP
empireguy20127 plays in the APPA D4 division
NEAA- josh cotier
187- Noel, brian, nick, BJ (almost all of them)
Ducks- blake, mike
Woburn Monsters- Jon Sardina, Reid Gallant (14 years old, watch out for him in years to come)
Crisis- Fatty, richie, T2
Individual players- none that really jump out at me right now. im in class right now so ill have more time to think when i get home and ill edit this

thank you
chip
Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 PM #15
Sean6942
Infamous

Sean6942 is a Supporting Member
Sean6942 is a Professional paintball player
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdangelo9 View Post
I just feel like the only people that ever end up on these things are the ones that always practice together at the same fields and play NEPL etc. Just My Two Cents.
I agree with you totally. lots of teams don't get recognized, Sodus had like 3 really good players. Will Macall was one of the best insert players i've seen. Too bad he doesn't really play and stay focused.

Blake and Mike Jeffery from the ducks and Gibby quick from riptide are solid players. Got to play with them in AXBL this season and id play with them any day.

Last edited by Sean6942 : 10-19-2009 at 02:36 PM. Reason: ..
Old 10-19-2009, 02:53 PM #16
ctpaintballa42

I dont think we have an expansive look at whose the best around new england. your talking about mostly mass teams here when there is plenty of other talent spread around. I know for a fact that hogans and TNN has many talented players from CT. RI has great players from riptide, I know because I played with most of the ducks when they were on riptide kidz, and many of the kids on the original d1 riptide were great players.

I dont know much about the rest of NE, besides 187 really in mass. They are the only team, besides the ducks and maybe a few others i dont know that have the talent to make it to the next step.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:36 AM #17
patenaude37

matty and josh from the ducks ftw
Old 10-20-2009, 08:47 PM #18
bcfan25
sup.

bcfan25 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Jon "Chip" Gomes is a great overall player. Kid has talent.
Brett Roukey is also solid.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:26 AM #19
booboodinosaur

booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
booboodinosaur owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Josh Rutland Richie Byrnes Mike Surprise Tom Arboe Jojo Hwalek Sean Valukis and Brian Genkals(sorry if I spelled rong)

Last edited by booboodinosaur : 10-21-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 PM #20
EWMpaintball
Identity Paintball

plays in the NXL
EWMpaintball is for the Gunfight
EWMpaintball is for the Gunfight
EWMpaintball plays in the APPA D4 division
Today's talent pool... Hmm...

Honestly, because of the many issues I see in alot of the players today, I think we need to look more closely to the true new blood in the sport for our future talent pool. I mean the kids in D4, D5, and yeah D3. I will say most of the D1, D2, and a handful of D3 players have the wrong mindset to actually become someone sustainable in this sport. Even some of the young players mentioned in this thread I believe have the wrong midset and are developing entitlement issues they haven't come close to earning.

A part of this problem however was created by the bigger teams during the fat and happy days of sponsorship. They would grab up any young kid they thought would be the next big thing, pump him up, have him taste the good life, mess up his ranking, then when he couldn't hang.... The kid was all done... Can't play locally because of ranking, etc... There was no sense of responsibility... This kinda has a slight snowball effect.

Today, as owners and captains, we can be responsible and work these young guys up slowly, step by step. This is what I do with my team's organization. I look very carefully at these young guys who haven't been corrupted and I do see some great potential there.

To be a good player in today's game, you do need the athletisism which gets you in the door. But it is the mental aspect that gets you somewhere. This is where you look to find that true talent. Honestly, the difference between a D1 player and a pro player is their mental aspect of their approach to the game. Physically they are probably on the same level... think about it.

BUT to sum up today's talent, I think the real long term potential is where most of people do not look. Don't get me wrong, I see the D2 and D3 players out there that have further potential, but I see much more below them.

Archie
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM #21
p8ballz
Rhode Island Paintball

p8ballz is an Premier field/store owner
p8ballz has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
p8ballz has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Keith Devit
Max
Nick
Blake
Mike Jeffrey
Tbo
Matt Flynn
Gibby Quick
peanut(if he got his head out of his ***)

That would be my all star lineup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumorai View Post
Taking the canes out of the picture, and with Riptide-NEX blowing up, that basically leaves 187 cRew, Ducks, etc. as the top local talent.
As far as NEX blowing up? thats just stupid, we lost 3 players to the canes this year. That would slow any teams roll
Closed Thread