Old 04-12-2013, 05:23 PM #22
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
pb access seems to be doing pretty fine. they get their money through ad revenue generated by commercials and the symbols put on the screens during matches. id also assume that they get money from the psp to run the webcast seeing as PBA is its own company providing a service

my old feedback 100% positive
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-12-2013, 05:33 PM #23
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
The PSP sold out for their Dallas event in record time. Something is being done well and I'm pretty sure that the Webcast and PBAccess with their online podcasts, videos, and interviews are part of sparking that kind of interest.

I hope the NPPL can drum up enough money to make a webcast and actual marketing through it a go for future events. I don't think it benefits the sport as a whole to have a monopoly on national level leagues. I think having both the NPPL and the PSP is better for paintball than one league with no competition.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:42 PM #24
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE
Playoffs??? PLAYOFFS!!??

AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is a Supporting Member
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE plays in the PSP
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is Boss
then you sir havent been playing very long haha. i remember when there was only one league and it was the best thing for everyone. the events were much larger, all of the vendors went to the events since they didnt have to stretch their resources to make an event every month. more teams participated because there was only 5 events to look forward to instead of 10. prizes were better due to higher team turnouts. the list goes on. it is just way better for the sport as a whole to have one league, and the companies are showing it as well by pulling out of the nppl

my old feedback 100% positive
AdReNaLiN jUnKeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:01 PM #25
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdReNaLiN jUnKeE View Post
then you sir havent been playing very long haha. i remember when there was only one league and it was the best thing for everyone. the events were much larger, all of the vendors went to the events since they didnt have to stretch their resources to make an event every month. more teams participated because there was only 5 events to look forward to instead of 10. prizes were better due to higher team turnouts. the list goes on. it is just way better for the sport as a whole to have one league, and the companies are showing it as well by pulling out of the nppl
Actually I don't think you want to go into who started playing earlier with me.

I still stand by my opinion. I believe for the SPORT of paintball having choices in leagues is a good thing and I don't think that a monopoly of one league/company/entity is ever a good thing in terms of keeping a lean, mean, competitive product for the consumers (we the players) to consume.

It IS harder for the companies but it's something that I WISH was worth it to them to support both leagues. I don't expect most players outside of pro's to play both, it is a crazy amount of travel. Unfortunately you are very right in that sponsors/companies are deciding that the NPPL right now with their number of players and fans is not worth their expenditure to get out and support the NPPL events. They're probably right, but that sucks for paintball as a sport.

I hope the NPPL can reinvent itself, get itself financially ready and produce a quality product on the level of the PSP. When it does that the sponsors and companies will find it worthwhile to come back and support the league and that will help it grow. However this is the old chicken and the egg issue. You have to have a quality product WITH lots of fans before it's worth it for the sponsors and company's dollars, yet those dollars are what helps bring the quality and the fans.

I don't think the NPPL folding will be good for paintball so I truly hope it doesn't happen. I DO think there is room for two leagues.

I do remember the early days with one league and I remember when the PSP was formed because of the complaints leveled against the NPPL at the time that they were not doing a great job. They weren't. The first few years of both leagues was a GREAT time for paintball with both leagues COMPETING for your dollars. However the economy hit paintball hard just as with all luxury type activities, and both leagues were hit hard, with the NPPL suffering a fatal blow. We're just starting to build back up to where we were at 5-8 years ago.

I hope the NPPL can pick itself back up just as the PSP has. As a player I think having options means competition between them which SHOULD mean better quality product (events) for me to choose from and attend.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:27 PM #26
jesus01
That guy

jesus01 plays in the PSP
Nppl needs to die. From a businesses standpoint its a failure and a sinking ship. I feel it brings no value at all from a customer stand point.

I completely disagree with darthdoug but he is cute so I won't be a total jerk
Old 04-13-2013, 11:01 AM #27
RobbertPaulson
Don't let work define you

RobbertPaulson has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
This blows i had to work today anyway
RobbertPaulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:52 PM #28
yella
RAMPAGE

yella owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
yella is for the Gunfight
It needs to go to one league as every other professional sport.

Football - NFL
Baseball - MLB
Hockey - NHL
Basketball - NBA

etc. One league will make it better for the players, people associated in the business, and promoters.

F-S Bob Long Half Dragon G6R https://www.pbnation.com/showthread....#post100016073
yella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:07 PM #29
Thotograph

It'd be really nice to watch some 7man right now... this is really a big let down.

I really like the lack of sideline coaching and true semi auto play, but man they are screwed if the interested fan base is largely in the dark. Also, it looks like the big time pro teams are gonna roll through this shindig until they meet. Dynasty is already 2-0 with a pretty big margin. PLEHHHH

Old Feedback
Thotograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:15 PM #30
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thotograph View Post
true semi auto play
NPPL went to Mechanical Only?
raehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 PM #31
Sniper71
Shooting fools since 92

Sniper71 plays in the PSP
Sniper71 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
NPPL went to Mechanical Only?
IMO I think that would be pretty epic and potentially bring alot of new people out to play, and maybe make the crossover to air/speedball....
New England Blizzard-Captain/Owner
Sniper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:52 PM #32
shrell

shrell owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
shrell has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper71 View Post
IMO I think that would be pretty epic and potentially bring alot of new people out to play, and maybe make the crossover to air/speedball....
I think a league (PSP?) talked about this a few years ago and it was met with minimal interest. Enough for a couple teams at once event.
shrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:27 PM #33
Thotograph

Haha, good one... that would be a nice thing to see. Maybe even break down how many types of guns you can have, something like 3 cockers and 4 of anything else (mags or something capable of RTing/higher ROF), or 2 & 3 for 5-man...

Old Feedback
Thotograph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:30 AM #34
B Baller

B Baller supports DLX Technology
UWL has mechanicals and various rules for each member of the team, so not an original idea as they have a bunch of national events this year although they do play in the woods, not airball.
B Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:48 PM #35
MicHauй²
I Do My Own Stunts

MicHauй² owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NPPL loves to destroy themselves

Mainepb.com
"Originally posted by DYE=cool: One time, me and my friends used marijuana needles, to make a long story short my penis fell off."
MicHauй² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:15 PM #36
ctounget
Arizona State University

ctounget is BST Trusted
ctounget is playing at Living Legends VI
ctounget owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ctounget supports Team VICIOUS
ctounget has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ctounget has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ctounget has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by yella View Post
It needs to go to one league as every other professional sport.

Football - NFL
Baseball - MLB
Hockey - NHL
Basketball - NBA

etc. One league will make it better for the players, people associated in the business, and promoters.
First off I'm sorry but I had to correct you on this one. There are 2+ "Professional" leagues for each sport you mentioned.

Football - NFL and AFL
Baseball - MLB and the Minor Leagues
Hockey - NHL and AHL
Basketball - NBA and PBL

Not to mention the various development leagues that are associated with the sports which are similar to our regional leagues. In some (however few it may be) cases though the pros in these leagues are still making much more than any pro in paintball. Just because its not a Major League doesn't mean its not professional. The case is now that PSP is our Major League and NPPL is the Minor with a different format.

Personally, after playing HB '13, I believe NPPL is done. The revenue from this event couldn't have been much, and you can tell that they don't care about the league any more. There were many things that were unorganized and a few failures on their end. The sad part was, they didn't seem to give a rat's ***. They may make it through Tampa but with PSP scheduling WCO the same weekend as Denver, NPPL will tank.
Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 PM #37
B Baller

B Baller supports DLX Technology
Is it really as bad as you think? Just going by easily available figures and I have absolutely no idea what it costs to rent the beach (free? plus a ton of labor in clean up?) but this could easily be 100 grand as well which would hurt these #'s a lot.

entry fee is something around $220,000 just going by the entrants list. payouts were $64,000 = $156,000 of direct player income not to mention $10 pit passes, grand stand tickets and such but lets skip that and say it paid for the grand stands themselves.

I believe every vendors pays to be there, for reference the smallest tent at PSP world cup in 2012 was $1500 and a truck was $6000. So lets just say $1500 and 20 vendors although there were a few trucks there but the tents are probably less expensive. Another 30k but lets assume that pays for the workers to be there.

I know turf, netting and bunkers are expensive but they are not 1 time cost centers. In fact in the case of the bunkers if NPPL has any type of reasonable deal with supair, probably generate revenue upon sale although very little. 17k square feet of turf at $3 is only 51k and I believe field 1 was the only one that could have been considered new.
B Baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 PM #38
ctounget
Arizona State University

ctounget is BST Trusted
ctounget is playing at Living Legends VI
ctounget owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ctounget supports Team VICIOUS
ctounget has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ctounget has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
ctounget has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Baller View Post
Is it really as bad as you think? Just going by easily available figures and I have absolutely no idea what it costs to rent the beach (free? plus a ton of labor in clean up?) but this could easily be 100 grand as well which would hurt these #'s a lot.

entry fee is something around $220,000 just going by the entrants list. payouts were $64,000 = $156,000 of direct player income not to mention $10 pit passes, grand stand tickets and such but lets skip that and say it paid for the grand stands themselves.

I believe every vendors pays to be there, for reference the smallest tent at PSP world cup in 2012 was $1500 and a truck was $6000. So lets just say $1500 and 20 vendors although there were a few trucks there but the tents are probably less expensive. Another 30k but lets assume that pays for the workers to be there.

I know turf, netting and bunkers are expensive but they are not 1 time cost centers. In fact in the case of the bunkers if NPPL has any type of reasonable deal with supair, probably generate revenue upon sale although very little. 17k square feet of turf at $3 is only 51k and I believe field 1 was the only one that could have been considered new.
From some of the talk I heard around the event, the profit was minimal if not non-existent. I believe they actually lost money on the event but of course I could be way off. Many people were saying that this IS the last year for NPPL. There seems to be a lot going on in the industry as we've seen with all of the major companies shifting to PSP. Then theres the whole thing with the leagues scheduling events on the same weekend, PSA/HB and WCO/Denver, there appears to be a push to eliminate NPPL and from how some at the event acted, they acknowledge it and are accepting it.
Old 04-15-2013, 12:54 AM #39
xNuRve

plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
xNuRve plays in the APPA D3 division
xNuRve supports DLX Technology
I was at the event and I played and heard no such thing. It's unbelievable how much they make just off grandstands. 20 per person for just Sunday. The stands were completely full. There's so many other things they make money off of as well. Like your ids. It was an awesome event.
xNuRve is offline   Reply With Quote