Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 02-24-2001, 11:29 PM #1
Deceit
What?

Deceit is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Unhappy

you know what sucks

when your ram breaks for no apperent reason and no i didnt put my pin behind the ram. I talked to a bunch of air smiths this is the first time they have seen something like this. oh well someone post something...
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2001, 12:21 AM #2
timebomb
the missing link

timebomb is a Supporting Member
timebomb is a founding member
timebomb works for a Paintball manufacturer
timebomb donated to help Peyton Trent
timebomb owns a Planet Eclipse CSR
Angry

Wow that's really messed up...did it cause any internal damage to the gun itself? I hope repairs weren't to hefty...
Old 02-25-2001, 01:09 AM #3
JRM
WEAR IT!

JRM is a Supporting Member
JRM is a founding member
JRM is a Professional paintball player
JRM plays in the PSP
JRM supports Empire
Yes, this is a known problem of earlier model BM2K's.

Could you tell me the serial number is on this or when you bought it? The earlier BM2k's and Defiants had problems with rams snapping and breaking, however ICD quickly took action. Sounds like yours has held its ground awhile. Just call up ICD and they'll probably send you a new ram, sorry if you lost/lose playing time.

Good luck,
Jeff
Old 02-25-2001, 03:07 AM #4
sperm1369
Never Forget-POW MIA

sperm1369 is a Supporting Member
Yes and ICD has great customer service, Plus There turnaround time is great if you ever need to send your marker in for service

Josh
Old 02-25-2001, 03:44 PM #5
Deceit
What?

Unhappy reply

yeah all is well gave it to a airsmith to get it checked out and no internal damage. but thanks for the concern.
Old 02-25-2001, 03:58 PM #6
KeysonicRT

JRM, you work for ICD? Just wondering, or are you just a really nice person? "sorry if you lost/lose playing time.

"
Old 02-25-2001, 04:12 PM #7
Novak Mark

Thumper... what do you mean by broke? Did it literally break in two pieces, or does it just not work anymore?

Its good to re o-ring your ram every now and then. They take the same size o-rings as screw in tanks.

Last edited by Novak Mark : 02-25-2001 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2001, 04:17 PM #8
Deceit
What?

Arrow explanation

you know where the ram head screwes into the ram rod. that little screw broke in half. the pin was in the right place too no damage to the gun or anything. wierd huh? got a airsmith to look at it and he said everything is perfect except for that little screw he said its the first time hes seen anything like this.
Old 02-25-2001, 04:31 PM #9
Novak Mark

I've never heard of anything like that happening.

So its being fixed now?
Old 02-25-2001, 04:56 PM #10
Deceit
What?

Talking .

yeah i havent either

but yeah the parts are coming in today
Old 02-25-2001, 08:33 PM #11
Mercalez

Mercalez is a Supporting Member
I've heard of this happening once and maybe a titanium ram would be of use??? =))Theres another project Eaton. Titanium ram shaft. Or White Wolf? *Wink* *Wink*

… !
Become a Supporting Member. Click here!
Back in the states..good to be back -_-
Old 02-25-2001, 10:43 PM #12
sperm1369
Never Forget-POW MIA

I really dont think Titanium is the answer, IMO it is to hard and the harder the metal the easier it is to break it, especially if it is cold. If someone was runnin CO2 this could definately be a problem, That and he said his ram never broke just the screw

just my .02 cents

Josh
Old 02-25-2001, 11:12 PM #13
JRM
WEAR IT!

JRM is a Supporting Member
JRM is a founding member
JRM is a Professional paintball player
JRM plays in the PSP
JRM supports Empire
Keysonic

I guess in your words I'm just a really nice person, I know how it feels to sit out and stuff, it's just no fun at all.
Old 02-26-2001, 04:57 PM #14
superannuated

Titanium would seem to me to be a good, if expensive, solution to any breaking ram problems (I'm not any sort of expert, but I have read a little about it). Not only are titanium alloys quite lightweight, and exceptionally hard, but are also difficult to break (they are different from steel alloys this way). Titanium also has a "memory", so if it takes a hit from something else hard, it tends to return immediately to its original shape. As a result, it's hard to break, scratch and bend.

Price would be the problem, because even though titanium is a plentiful metal, the costs of working it are high.

It sounds like titanium alloy should make a lightweight,almost indestructible paintball gun body, grip, vertical feed, and (yes, I know Dye makes one) barrel. No more stripped machine screw threads in the body of the gun, very hard to scratch, you could fall on it and only break your ribs, not the gun. It would be expensive (but that hasn't stopped most of us yet), and I don't know what kind of finish you can put on it.

Regards,

Superannuated
Old 02-26-2001, 10:34 PM #15
sperm1369
Never Forget-POW MIA

Its a proven fact the harder the material the more brittle it is (I dropped a titanium valve from 2 feet onto concrete and shattered it)but when you get into alloys its a different story because it is mixed with other compounds to reach a desired strength and flexibility

Just my .02 cents
Old 02-27-2001, 05:52 PM #16
superannuated

Well, again I'm no expert, but my reading indicates that while iron, steel and aluminum are considered relatively brittle metals, titanium is not. Titanium is being used in a number of applications where lack of brittleness is important, such as golf clubs, bike frames, skis & snowboards, and armor for military vehicles (perhaps to help counteract those ultra-hard depleted uranium shells in current use).

I don't know how delicate the titanium valve you broke was, or whether it was some sort of alloy that was more brittle than usual, but unless I'm missing something, titanium alloys should be lighter, harder, have better tensile strength and have less brittleness than comparable steel or aluminum alloys.

That's why I wasn't joking when I suggested that a titanium-based paintball gun would be physically (if not financially) feasible.

Regards,

Superannuated
Old 03-11-2001, 06:53 PM #17
BushWhacker2k

my ram broke just like they ways yours did. it really sux but i just sent the gun to icd and its all better now
Old 05-05-2001, 05:53 PM #18
Deceit
What?

Angry

it did it again and this time for no aparant reason no damgae to the ram head or anything what the hell is up?
Old 05-06-2001, 04:15 AM #19
smurf

I had the same piece break too. $20 bucks from ICD. It was 2 years old, and that's the only thing ever to go down on it... I'm still happy. It's a first gen, serial #1102

smurf
Old 05-07-2001, 10:29 PM #20
Jeffchs2004

if ur LPR is up too high i heard this can be a way of making this happen. CHeck that
Old 05-10-2001, 09:25 PM #21
Goldie D Pimp
VAPOR

Goldie D Pimp is a Supporting Member
I believe the new style rams are different than the old ones. The old ones just screwed in to the end of the threads and stopped. The newer ones have the threads that start deeper inside the hammer so that the shaft sits down inside of the hammer a little more, protecting that weak area around the threads. And just so you know, someone is making aftermarket rams. They're in testing right now.
Vaporworks For all your ICD Product Needs!