Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 AM #22
nuuub

size for size, a 3000psi tank will weigh more than a 4500psi tank.
nuuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 AM #23
AnDr3w22

AnDr3w22 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
If you buy a used tank make sure that the hydro date is still good and has a couple of years left on it. The tank isn't going to do you any good if your field wont allow to use it because it's expired.
AnDr3w22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:14 AM #24
JC001
CrownPB

JC001 plays in the PSP
JC001 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
JC001 posts videos on PbNation
LOL. Aluminum tanks aren't bad at all. Wow, an extra half pound.. as a newb you are fine with a cheap aluminum tank. They only come in 3000 psi though.
JC001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:30 AM #25
Kbug
Dookie

Kbug has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Kbug supports Ninja Paintball
Kbug supports Empire
Aluminum, or "steelie" tanks weigh more than half an extra pound. And they hold a lot less air than a 4500 tank. It would be better to just skip the aluminum tanks and just go ahead and buy a 4500 in my opinion.
Kbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:12 PM #26
LeeDowney

Hey guys. I'm no professional paintball player by no means nor am I a major contributor on this forum. But here's my 2 cents.

I looked up data on similar tanks off of Zephyr website. Here is what I found.

Guerrilla Alum Tank 48ci/3000 psi cost $50 Weight 2.8 lbs
Ninja Carb Fiber 50ci/4500 psi cost $150 Weight 2.4 lbs

So for the beginner player that would be better served by putting the extra money into buying a better marker is better off in my opinion on buying the alum tank and managing the extra 4 ounces of weight. I agree with most of you, the CF tanks are great. I just think unless your initial budget getting in to paintball is $2k and your buying a Dye DM13, Dye Rotar Hopper, Dye i4 Mask and a Ninja CF 68ci/4500 tank...an aluminum tank for $50 is your best route. OMG, at least the guy isn't starting with CO2 like I did. lol.

And no, I don't own or represent Dye. I just love the way that marker looks. It makes me drool every time I pull it up.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:39 PM #27
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

FalconPunchKid is playing at Living Legends VIII
FalconPunchKid owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
FalconPunchKid supports DLX Technology
FalconPunchKid supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDowney View Post
Hey guys. I'm no professional paintball player by no means nor am I a major contributor on this forum. But here's my 2 cents.

So for the beginner player that would be better served by putting the extra money into buying a better marker is better off in my opinion on buying the alum tank and managing the extra 4 ounces of weight. I agree with most of you, the CF tanks are great. I just think unless your initial budget getting in to paintball is $2k and your buying a Dye DM13, Dye Rotar Hopper, Dye i4 Mask and a Ninja CF 68ci/4500 tank...an aluminum tank for $50 is your best route. OMG, at least the guy isn't starting with CO2 like I did. lol.

And no, I don't own or represent Dye. I just love the way that marker looks. It makes me drool every time I pull it up.

Anthony Antle
FalconPunchKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM #28
RubinOnRye

RubinOnRye is playing at Living Legends VII
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RubinOnRye has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
RubinOnRye supports Ninja Paintball
I currently am using a 3000 psi tank with a backpack and have no issues going about 2 1 hour games before I need to refill. I am using an x7 PHenom. Hope that helps.
RubinOnRye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:54 PM #29
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeDowney View Post

Is that really the only weight difference?

Anthony Antle
Old 02-18-2013, 04:26 PM #30
LightShow

Personally as a well seasoned player... I always say, buy your gear right the first time. If you really like playing, spend the extra cash up front on your better options. Personally I'd go with a Ninja Pro SLP tank with the rotating reg to put the fill nipple and gauge in a more comfortable location. Sure it'll cost upwards of 180.00, but after hours of playing and that nipple digging into your wrist, it becomes a well paid for convenience. Depending on how much you play, look to buy stuff that your more than likely not going to be upgrading right away in your near future. Do you have to buy a 1200.00 gun off the bat?Definitely not, there are plenty of options to go with in the midlevel market that perform just as well. I always say avoid the low end, since thats exactly what you get. Spend the extra cash upfront, to avoid spending a whole lot more shortly after. You'll thank yourself later. So will your bank account. Also on a side note... I always say invest in a GOOD pair of goggles before anything else if your first getting started. Crappy goggles can totally ruin your experience playing. No one wants a fogging mask that 1000 other people have worn before you. Just my 2cents...
LightShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:04 PM #31
osilva

osilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 PM #32
LeeDowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconPunchKid View Post

Is that really the only weight difference?
Yes. According to what Zephyr has posted on their website. I was a little surprised as well. 4 ounces is equal to about 50 paintballs.

Honestly after reading into tanks and their benefits more, I would buy the tank that's best suitable for where you plan on playing the most. For me, it's here on my home course on my land. I have two 80 cf scuba tanks that I cascade that give me and my 5 buddies all the 3,000 psi fills we need for a day of playing. If you spend all your time playing at a professional field that offers 4,500 psi, I'd get a 4,500 tank.

Last edited by LeeDowney : 02-18-2013 at 07:08 PM.
LeeDowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM #33
FalconPunchKid
St. Louis Hustle

wow

Anthony Antle
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM #34
Oldandsneaky
What's a 12ie?

Oldandsneaky has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Oldandsneaky supports Ninja Paintball
I think it's funny that the OP bailed on us days ago and we're still hashing this out amongst ourselves!

For me personally, I really only have 2 kinds of tanks, all bought used.

My newbie setup was(/is ) Pure Energy 48/3000 aluminum tanks. Basically what came with our used guns. They got my family on the field playing.

I picked up a few PE 68/3000 tanks in carbon fiber. They are almost the same physical size as the 48/3000 tanks but are 1lb,4oz lighter. According to the bathroom scale. They all have the same PE regs.

I also have an EVIL 68/5000 that I can't fill over 3000psi because our field doesn't do 4500.

OP said he only had money for an aluminum tank. I don't think anyone makes a 4500 psi aluminum tank, so what does that leave him with? Get a tank you can afford and go play!
Oldandsneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM #35
Oldandsneaky
What's a 12ie?

BTW, that 1lb 4oz difference is very noticable on the field. I'll never go back to aluminum! Let the kids use the heavy tanks!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM #36
die.another.day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandsneaky View Post
I think it's funny that the OP bailed on us days ago and we're still hashing this out amongst ourselves!

For me personally, I really only have 2 kinds of tanks, all bought used.

My newbie setup was(/is ) Pure Energy 48/3000 aluminum tanks. Basically what came with our used guns. They got my family on the field playing.

I picked up a few PE 68/3000 tanks in carbon fiber. They are almost the same physical size as the 48/3000 tanks but are 1lb,4oz lighter. According to the bathroom scale. They all have the same PE regs.

I also have an EVIL 68/5000 that I can't fill over 3000psi because our field doesn't do 4500.

OP said he only had money for an aluminum tank. I don't think anyone makes a 4500 psi aluminum tank, so what does that leave him with? Get a tank you can afford and go play!
5000?
die.another.day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM #37
nuuub

btw, 2.8lbs vs 2.4lbs does not equal a difference of 4 ounces, please get it right. there are 16 oz in a lb, 0.4 lb = 6.4 oz. a few ounces may not seem like a lot, but it does have an effect on stamina and endurance.

Also, depending on where you're playing and what you're playing, a 4500psi tank might be overkill. Where I play, its free to fill your air and there are breaks after 2 or 3 sessions anyway, which gives plenty of time to refill. Is it worth the extra $75-100 to go from a 3000 psi to a 4500 psi and refill every other break? up to the user to decide.
nuuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:30 PM #38
LeeDowney

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuuub View Post
btw, 2.8lbs vs 2.4lbs does not equal a difference of 4 ounces, please get it right. there are 16 oz in a lb, 0.4 lb = 6.4 oz. a few ounces may not seem like a lot, but it does have an effect on stamina and endurance.
True. My bad. Temporary brain fart. You are correct. It still seems to be very inconsequential though. If I did the majority of paintball at a field where 4500 was offered, it would be a no brainer. I'd be all over a 4500 psi. Since 90% of my play is done on my home course with 2 scuba tanks as filling station, it just didn't make sense to spend the extra $100 each for my son and I to go with the CF 4500. Maybe on our next upgrades we will. I may not be able to feel a 0.4 lb or 6.4 oz difference, but I bet my 10 year old will.

When someone invents an air compressor for under $300 that will provide 4500 psi, I imagine 3000 tanks will become obsolete. And yes, I'm aware of the $600 Shoebox air compressor but who has 12 hours to wait in between fills. That's nuts.

And to oldandsneaky....two things. Very cool screen name. That would be perfect for me. If you ever leave this forum, how about willing that name to me. lol. Secondly, yes, I also think it's funny the OP bailed days ago. He got his answer and bolted. But here we are still offering him priceless advice and knowledge. I love it.

Last edited by LeeDowney : 02-19-2013 at 01:34 PM.
LeeDowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM #39
Rebel_816
Don't eat that....

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by die.another.day View Post
5000?
yep. evil made a 5k psi tank a while back.

heres a thread comparing all the actual weights of tanks and their regulators. it is a bit old though.

https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=2406452

also those comparisons are between a 48 and 50ci tank....thats a rather small tank, so the difference wont be as profound.

according to that thread, the weight of an 48ci aluminum bottle alone (no reg) is 2.7lbs. where as a carlton or luxfer 68ci bottle is 2.1lbs, so zephyer was incorrect. i chose to mention carlton and luxfer as i believe those are the most common bottles used and then companies put their own regs on.

and just for giggles. a 90ci cf tank is the same weight as a 48ci lol. that has almost twice the capacity, plus 1.5 times more on top of that since its 4500psi instead of 3k.

hopefully that will clear up what some actual weights are for you guys, instead of going on marketing figures.

Last edited by Rebel_816 : 02-19-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Rebel_816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM #40
MaG Adrenal1ne
#PlayforPride

MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends VI
MaG Adrenal1ne is playing at Living Legends X
MaG Adrenal1ne supports Team VICIOUS
MaG Adrenal1ne plays in the APPA D5 division
MaG Adrenal1ne supports DLX Technology
Stick with a 4500. Im biased but ive never really seen a need for anything smaller.
Bored? On Facebook? Come join my group Paintball Gear for Sale!
MaG Adrenal1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:28 PM #41
Oldandsneaky
What's a 12ie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaG Adrenal1ne View Post
Stick with a 4500. Im biased but ive never really seen a need for anything smaller.
OMG. Are we back to confusing cubic inches with pressure?
Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 AM #42
2pipes
Legend in my own MIND

2pipes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
2pipes supports Team VICIOUS
2pipes has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
2pipes supports DLX Technology
Some fields only have 3000 so why send 3x the money and get NO benefit. Most poppets don't need anything over 3000 for rec play even hopper plus 4 pods. Spool valve gun are less air efficient so 4500 might be necessary.

All that being said I have my steel tanks as backup and use my Carbon Fiber 4500 normally.
Ronnie Dixon fan club #30
2pipes is offline   Reply With Quote