cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL 2
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Why is religion needed?

Just curious what everyone's take on this subject is.

Why is religion needed?

In todays day and age, with advances in the medical/scientific fields and in life in general why do people cling to religion? There is no moral compass that it holds, that is decided by each society/community in all reality. Charities exists without religion, people help people without religion, society can function in general without religion.

So why is it still around? I know the members in churches is not what it once was, so maybe there is some decline in those who accept religion for what it is.

Comments?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:42 AM #2
RamboPreacher
Player not a Pro.

RamboPreacher is a founding member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic.paintball View Post

Why is religion needed?

In todays day and age, with advances in the medical/scientific fields and in life in general why do people cling to religion? There is no moral compass that it holds, that is decided by each society/community in all reality. Charities exists without religion, people help people without religion, society can function in general without religion.

So why is it still around? I know the members in churches is not what it once was, so maybe there is some decline in those who accept religion for what it is.

Comments?
It appears that your question is based in and on a certain understanding of the realities of being - in this "real" of physical being.

My personal belief is that we are a three-fold being, and that the physical (including the body and soul/emotions/intellect), is only a part of our conscious and being. with that kind of understanding of the "real me" being a spirit, and not just a matter of random synapse and evolved cellular structure; To have faith of where that spirit comes from and where it will go seems to be natural to me. I see that paradigm in all religions that I have studied and know of.

so why? - not speaking for all, but I know that in essence it is a fundamental curiosity of mankind, because it is there. Okay - you may not believe that it's there, but that would be my opinion. many believe there is more to this life than this life, and as such that human curiosity kicks in and they seek and desire to know more about it.

I won't get into all the abuses of religion, and will let others use that as reasons for not having religion. it's there and I believe that is about power, wealth struggles, and not really religion-based at core essence anyway.

But religion - to me - is mankind, seeking to know deity. That is no dictionary definition, but is my own use of the dictionary definition. It is my opinion that those that do not seek that deity/higher power/supreme being, believe they have found it in themselves. they may not openly or consciously agree that "deity" is themselves, but to me, that is what they are saying when they believe that their existence is and of themselves and of no external consequence.

so, why is there religion? in my opinion, because mankind has an innate sense of there being deity/creator, and it is a lacking or hole in his very being to desire to know more about that deity and to even, if possible know that deity in some way.
Member of: † Christ † Krew † #82

"I believe, in order to understand" or "I understand in order to believe": Augustine/Anselm (paraphrase)
"Science, and especially physics is not about 'truths' - It's about forming beliefs that are less false"; Dr. S. James Gates, Jr.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:00 AM #3
Gold_Eagle (Banned)

Quote:
In todays day and age, with advances in the medical/scientific fields and in life in general why do people cling to religion?
Even if doctors are taking care of a hurt patient in hospitals, most of the Christians I know will pray to God to ask him to help the doctors perform correctly. I've been sick for 3 weeks with on and off throat problems and a really bad head cold, and I started taking 2 types of new antibiotics 2 days ago, and my soar throat is nearly gone. My mom said "Oh thank God, he healed you!" And I just said "Oh thank medicine".

Quote:
There is no moral compass that it holds, that is decided by each society/community in all reality.
But see how many prisoners and just plain bad people in the world have "turned to jesus"? And even though you and I know it has nothing to do with the power of jesus and more to do with being afraid, they're still changing their life. Instead of going out and smoking crack, they'll be going to a local bible study. And though I like neither of the two, I would prefer them doing latter instead of completely ruining their lives.

Quote:
Charities exists without religion, people help people without religion, society can function in general without religion.
All true except that last part. Like I said, people need some sort of self control (the thought of jesus) to keep themselves from doing bad things that affect their family or even the community as a whole.

Quote:
So why is it still around?
Like I said earlier, people need that hope. And religion will always be around; people brainwash their kids and pass it off to them, then they pass it off to their kids, etc. Some people just aren't open minded enough to look at alternative options.

Quote:
I know the members in churches is not what it once was, so maybe there is some decline in those who accept religion for what it is.
This would be true in the Catholic church (thankfully [no offence NicoleW]), and some other churches. My mom's "non-denominational, evangelical" church is getting more and more members by the week. They have over 6000 members.

There are also a couple other reasons why.

1.) People are born and raised thinking that there is a higher power, an afterlife, etc. This sticks with them their entire life and just seems "normal". They want that wonderful afterlife and if they don't follow their certain god, they will be tormented for eternity.

2.) People need hope. If a loved one dies or is in a serious situation, they want the hope that praying to a higher being will help that person get better and the comfort it brings helps them cope with a tragedy. Me personally, I never turned back to the Christian god when my mom was hit by a car and almost died. But other people need that, because that's what they know.

I'm sure I missed a lot in answering this, but I hope this helped.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:49 AM #4
DeadmanInc

DeadmanInc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DeadmanInc supports Team VICIOUS
DeadmanInc has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:

Why is religion needed?

Comments?

In my own personal belief religon is not needed. Too many people have long forgotten the reason behind what they belive and only do it for the "look at me, I'm better than you." reason. Religon is all for show now anyhow, case in point, two weeks ago I was driving through a major city in Texas when I seen a billboard advertising the local mega church and who's on the picture? the pastor in an Armani (sp) suit with a haircut that probably cost more then my Harley payment, and his wife wearing diamond earrings the size of lugnuts. How does that have anything to do with having a reationship with God?

Now as for a belief in God, I believe that most people do so for the comfort factor, weither it be a comfort that sins are forgiven, comfort that there will be a reward for living you life according to your beliefs, or even the comfort of having someone who is always there with you.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:19 AM #5
impulseballer42586
What can Blue do for you?

impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 owns a Planet Eclipse - M170r
I'm not going to get into all of my beliefs, but I think one main reason that religion is needed is an answer to "how?". How did we get here. Some turn to religion, some turn to science, but its for the same question "how?"

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
Old 07-03-2007, 10:25 AM #6
Ari Shaffir

To enhance the experience of existence in a non destructive manner.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:56 AM #7
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

warbeak2099 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
warbeak2099 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
warbeak2099 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
warbeak2099 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Shaffir View Post
To enhance the experience of existence in a non destructive manner.
That's 50/50
Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM #8
Ari Shaffir

Sure, but there are so many religions, there exists plenty that are probably useless and destructive, some religions aren't needed. I guess a lot of things aren't exaclty needed, but if we only lived with the essential, well that sounds boring.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:34 AM #9
Hobo BJ

Quote:

Why is religion needed?

Comments?
Because people are afraid to just die. To cease to exist. Everyone thinks they are some righteous person who will be rewarded for all the things they do after they die, as if they, as a "thing" will never end.

People are afraid to be alone.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:16 PM #10
kjjm4
Liberty or Death

kjjm4 is a founding member
kjjm4 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
kjjm4 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by impulseballer42586 View Post
I'm not going to get into all of my beliefs, but I think one main reason that religion is needed is an answer to "how?". How did we get here. Some turn to religion, some turn to science, but its for the same question "how?"
More why than how, IMO Science can explain how. Why, as in the reason, the purpose of our existance, is something science struggles to explain.

Religion comes from fear, IMO. Fear of the unknown mostly. Nobody really knows what happens when you die, so they invented Heaven, Valhalla, reincarnation, etc to explain it and make themselves feel better about it. Nobody knew about the origins of the world, so various creation stories were invented to explain it. Basically anything unknown was atributed to supernatural causes until the real explanation was figured out.
“A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
-Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-03-2007, 03:19 PM #11
jcon217

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjm4 View Post
More why than how, IMO Science can explain how. Why, as in the reason, the purpose of our existance, is something science struggles to explain.

Religion comes from fear, IMO. Fear of the unknown mostly. Nobody really knows what happens when you die, so they invented Heaven, Valhalla, reincarnation, etc to explain it and make themselves feel better about it. Nobody knew about the origins of the world, so various creation stories were invented to explain it. Basically anything unknown was atributed to supernatural causes until the real explanation was figured out.
That's kind of like saying, people choose atheism because they are scared to pick the wrong religion, so they hope that there is no religion so they can have sex before marriage, do drugs, drink all they want, and cuss like a sailor in hopes of not being punished by a higher being.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:32 PM #12
cryptic.paintball
blah blah blah

plays in the NXL 2
cryptic.paintball is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
cryptic.paintball is Legendary
cryptic.paintball is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcon217 View Post
That's kind of like saying, people choose atheism because they are scared to pick the wrong religion, so they hope that there is no religion so they can have sex before marriage, do drugs, drink all they want, and cuss like a sailor in hopes of not being punished by a higher being.
Not even close. You act like people of religion do not do all of the above mentioned all of the time anyways.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:37 PM #13
jcon217

Quote:

Not even close. You act like people of religion do not do all of the above mentioned all of the time anyways.
That's not the point. I was saying his logic was flawed. As is generalizations. NEWSFLASH - no one is perfect. Islam, Hindu, Jewish, Christian, Scientologists... any religion you can find people who don't follow their faith faithfully. Is that surprising to you or something?
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM #14
Charles666

Quote:
HA HA HA

gtfo.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:09 PM #15
the-mullet (Banned)

Quote:
please explain to me what makes a word "bad" or a "cuss" word
Old 07-03-2007, 05:25 PM #16
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
talk about beating a dead horse . . .

i don't think "religion" is needed. Just by saying "religion" opens the doors for all kinds of intepretations that will never be answered or clarified.

I believe an interdependence on a Creator is not "needed" but rather we are wanted to be in a relationship with the Creator who designed us for relationship.

It's interesting how we are built to be interdependant on one another. Whether this is seen in nature or not (which it is). I believe there is a design and that design has made us into social creatures. The creator created us in a way that we need him/her as much as we need interpersonal relationship within humanity itself.

But what's beautiful to me is that the Creator also allows you or whomever to have the freedom to find thier love or image in whatever they choose. This is why I believe that Heaven and Hell are misconstrued among fundamental Christianity. Honestly, Hell is something that those who don't want to have a relationship with the Creator want. Therefore, hell isn't a punishment but just a manifestation of the selfish way of living that in the end does not bring fulfillment. Relationships bring fulfillment and if we seek after the person who showed the best relational workings in all of history (Jesus) we are closer to the kingdome than we realize (Matt 22:34-40). Honestly, Christianity falls short of the life of Jesus, but I am one who believes that the life he lived is the best possible life, ever, and living that way is resonating what we were created to be.

Therefore, I don't need religion to "save me", to "make me happy". I need the workings of Jesus in me and his life in order to fulfill the best life possible, the reality of what life is, and to work within my family, my friends, and my environment in order to serve them to the best of my ability, modeling my life from the life of Christ . . .hard to do but worth striving for
Old 07-03-2007, 06:16 PM #17
Grayscale

Religion in the structural, financial, organizational sense is unnecessary and if anything, harmful.

Everything else is simply believed as truth.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 PM #18
kitchenman

[quote=Gold_Eagle;37306367]Even if doctors are taking care of a hurt patient in hospitals, most of the Christians I know will pray to God to ask him to help the doctors perform correctly. I've been sick for 3 weeks with on and off throat problems and a really bad head cold, and I started taking 2 types of new antibiotics 2 days ago, and my soar throat is nearly gone. My mom said "Oh thank God, he healed you!" And I just said "Oh thank medicine". [quote]

or

Thank God for the scientist who developed the new antibiotics!

Last edited by kitchenman : 07-03-2007 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 PM #19
jcon217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles666 View Post
HA HA HA

gtfo.
What an intelligent response. Now you know how I feel to the reasons why there is religion according to some.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:10 AM #20
warbeak2099
That is my foot!

warbeak2099 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
warbeak2099 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
warbeak2099 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
warbeak2099 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenman View Post

or

Thank God for the scientist who developed the new antibiotics!
It's like circular Freudian logic.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 AM #21
snowpaint
Somewhere In The Between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo BJ View Post
Because people are afraid to just die. To cease to exist. Everyone thinks they are some righteous person who will be rewarded for all the things they do after they die, as if they, as a "thing" will never end.

People are afraid to be alone.
yea, the one thing that humans can never truly be sure of is what happens to us after we die, almost everything else can be gained from empirical observation and deduction.

also humans have evolved from social pack animals. In other mammalian pack animals (wolf and monkeys) there is almost always an alpha/leader and mankind looks to god as the ultimate alpha dog. Wether this is proof of gods existence of there need to create something filling this role, I dont know.