Marine Corps uniform 12 92.31%
Army combat uniform 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

ReplyScenario Ups

Old 10-09-2009, 12:29 AM #1
Marq6Tech
Marine Infantry

MARPAT vs ACUs: Who takes this one?

So I've never done a poll... figured I'd start somewhere. The question has been asked a thousand times, I'm sure. Well, maybe not a thousand. Which is better for cover/concealment: Marine Corps Pattern (MARPAT,) or the Army Combat Uniform? Being a marine myself, I'm a little too biased to be making that call. I do have my opinion, and that would be the marpat is better. Why?

1. Marpat is either green or tan. Each style has its own role, depending on climate and surroundings. The ACUs are grey, and you never see grey in the desert, and seldomly see it in the woods. Unless you're searching for someone wearing ACU's, which would lead to you undoubtedly finding them.

2. Real ACU's, the ones worn by soldiers, have VELCRO all over them. Yes, velcro. Why? Who knows. Whoever's idea it was to have the loudest form of attaching/detaching something to fabric on a combat uniform isn't too bright. If I know scenario players, they want the closest to real, if not the real thing... so be prepared to crunch with every step you take.

3. I'm not hating on the army or anything, but I think it's kinda common knowledge that the Marine Corps is the more job-specific fighting force. We kill, it's just what we do. That's why the marine corps doesn't have cooks or medics. We let the navy take care of it because we're busy killing ****. Why would we use anything but the best for what we do? That's why I think marpat is better. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this-
Old 10-09-2009, 10:47 AM #2
BlackAngelSS
The Black Korps

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq6Tech View Post
So I've never done a poll... figured I'd start somewhere. The question has been asked a thousand times, I'm sure. Well, maybe not a thousand. Which is better for cover/concealment: Marine Corps Pattern (MARPAT,) or the Army Combat Uniform? Being a marine myself, I'm a little too biased to be making that call. I do have my opinion, and that would be the marpat is better. Why?

1. Marpat is either green or tan. Each style has its own role, depending on climate and surroundings. The ACUs are grey, and you never see grey in the desert, and seldomly see it in the woods. Unless you're searching for someone wearing ACU's, which would lead to you undoubtedly finding them.

2. Real ACU's, the ones worn by soldiers, have VELCRO all over them. Yes, velcro. Why? Who knows. Whoever's idea it was to have the loudest form of attaching/detaching something to fabric on a combat uniform isn't too bright. If I know scenario players, they want the closest to real, if not the real thing... so be prepared to crunch with every step you take.

3. I'm not hating on the army or anything, but I think it's kinda common knowledge that the Marine Corps is the more job-specific fighting force. We kill, it's just what we do. That's why the marine corps doesn't have cooks or medics. We let the navy take care of it because we're busy killing ****. Why would we use anything but the best for what we do? That's why I think marpat is better. I'd like to hear some thoughts on this-
The Marines Developed digital camo. so i give it to them for innovation.
I like it better also.

cooks? The Marine corps totally has its own cooks i dont know where you got that from. Unless they got rid of them recently

http://1sspanzerkorps.com/
BlackAngelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:10 AM #3
TheLastBrunnenG
Ninety Pound Gun!

TheLastBrunnenG helped look for balloons
TheLastBrunnenG supports our troops
TheLastBrunnenG has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I thought MARPAT was more efffective and realistic than ACU. Outside of US digital camo patterns, Fleck was nice too, and even Alpenflage is a good one, especially in autumn.

Personally I prefer Mossy Oak.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:43 PM #4
Marq6Tech
Marine Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelSS View Post
The Marines Developed digital camo. so i give it to them for innovation. I like it better also.

cooks? The Marine corps totally has its own cooks i dont know where you got that from. Unless they got rid of them recently
I've been in a while, and I've never seen one. Come to think of it, I've never actually asked anyone that. Wherever I've gone, the navy has supplied the cooks.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM #5
ThatguyoverthereTTP

ThatguyoverthereTTP owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
http://www.scribd.com/doc/19823845/P...Detection-Test

That's the Army's test of some various patterns after all the issues with ACU's

And the Marines did not develop the digital pattern IIRC. Their pattern is unique to the Corps but the idea has been out there a while. CADPAT(Canadian Pattern) has been in service much longer than MARPAT and Flecktarn operates on a similar theory and is older still.
ThatguyoverthereTTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 05:48 PM #6
PCTAP_Reptar
The Zombie Killer!

You talk of killing people as if its something that makes you macho and it seems as if you are pretty much bragging on the Marine's side.

On the part of the poll, MARPAT is much more effective so I'd say its a better camo. I own a set of ACU, and using it in the woods isn't much fun seeing as too it makes me a much noticeable target.

Member of Ponca City Scenario Team: The Immortals
Team Sodalitas Vi Et Armis

The Name Is Reptar, Nice To Meet You =]
PCTAP_Reptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:29 AM #7
Sieg

Marpat all the way
It is way more versatile than acu's in many different enviornments.
And yes, the marine corps does have cooks and medics, but in the end they're all still riflemen
(or like blackangel said, unless they got rid of them recently)
semper fi
www.themillerstrykebrigade.com
www.myspace.com/msbpaintball
Sieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM #8
Justin BossPB
Boss Company

Justin BossPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I am prior Army and I still go with the MARPAT. The colors of the ACU are not really effective in the woods. However I am thankful for the velcro idea it makes adding patches a look easier and neater. Your argument against the velcro is silly. No one playing woodsball is going to be hiding and playing with there velcro, so the noise really doesnt matter.

But it doesnt really matter at all to me seeing that I wear empire pants to play woodsball in so....
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
Justin BossPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:20 AM #9
Marq6Tech
Marine Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCTAP_Reptar View Post
You talk of killing people as if its something that makes you macho and it seems as if you are pretty much bragging on the Marine's side.
"We kill, it's just what we do."
Explain to me how that's bragging, or attempting to sound macho? I have the title 'marine', so I don't need to brag. Any self-gratification or bragging is already done for me. 'The Few, The Proud, The Marines'
Old 10-30-2009, 03:51 PM #10
penguin_style25
Matt Daaaammmoonn

Every Marine a rifleman? "we kill, it's just what we do"?

Dude you are a POG. I 100% guarantee it.

But on topic, MARPAT hands down. Army ACU's are ****ing blue for christs sakes. They are probably the worst cammies any branch of the armed forces has ever had..........................

*Cough* *cough*
Old 10-30-2009, 08:38 PM #11
Marq6Tech
Marine Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_style25 View Post

You wanna fuсking bet? 0311, to the fuсking bone. I went to MCRD for boot, I was Delta in SOI, and I've done two deployments with B 1/24 out of Saginaw, MI. Here's my myspace. Go through my pictures, and tell me that I'm a fuсking pog again.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 AM #12
hiddenphantom

Quote:

But on topic, MARPAT hands down. Army ACU's are ****ing blue for christs sakes. They are probably the worst cammies any branch of the armed forces has ever had..........................

*Cough* *cough*

Dude this is the NAVY'S UNIFORM not the Army's. Totally wrong branch by a long shot. As for the poll part.

The navy's new uniform works great for hiding you against the water and for blue floors other than that nope. Marine dig cammie on the other hand work great. Army ACU was easy to pick out in the Fall paintball game that I just attended in CT. So got to give it to the Marines.

Oh and the Marines do not have medics at all.. They are called Coremen and they are Navy..They only dress like Marines so they don't have freakin target on the back of thier head.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 PM #13
penguin_style25
Matt Daaaammmoonn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenphantom View Post
Dude this is the NAVY'S UNIFORM not the Army's. Totally wrong branch by a long shot. As for the poll part.

The navy's new uniform works great for hiding you against the water and for blue floors other than that nope. Marine dig cammie on the other hand work great. Army ACU was easy to pick out in the Fall paintball game that I just attended in CT. So got to give it to the Marines.

Oh and the Marines do not have medics at all.. They are called Coremen and they are Navy..They only dress like Marines so they don't have freakin target on the back of thier head.
Well that post went completely over your head......you're a ****ing idiot.

Marq6- Ive never met a self-respecting grunt who's served overseas that acts as motarded as you. And your pictures still make you look like a douche. "Marine corps has little guys.........and some REALLY big ones."- dude, seriously?

Whatever, I guess you're the man in your own world.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:26 PM #14
hiddenphantom

Quote:
Well that post went completely over your head......you're a ****ing idiot.

Marq6- Ive never met a self-respecting grunt who's served overseas that acts as motarded as you. And your pictures still make you look like a douche. "Marine corps has little guys.........and some REALLY big ones."- dude, seriously?

Dude your the tard that posted the bad info and pictures if you can't tell the truth when making a point then shut up. Fix your self before you keep looking like a idiot in front of your friends.

Last edited by hiddenphantom : 11-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.
hiddenphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM #15
ace0007

I have some Flecktarn I haven't used yet, leave it to the Germans...CADPAT and MARPAT is good as well...The British have something similar...I have some WAR 2k5 that works really well also.

Edit: British use DPM. Same concept as CADPAT and MARPAT

PM me for my facebook!
Newly Contracted RTM player

Last edited by ace0007 : 11-12-2009 at 12:31 AM.
ace0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 01:01 AM #16
Marq6Tech
Marine Infantry

Quote:

I never claimed to be 'the man.' At the end of the day, you're still the guy who started an argument on the internet, and lost. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not you yourself are a grunt. You've probably never even met a 'self-respecting grunt,' so you most likely have no clue how we act. IF you were deployed, you probably sat on ammo for 9 months.

Last edited by Marq6Tech : 11-11-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Marq6Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:36 AM #17
dstanley753
XOXO ~ Mad Hatter

dstanley753 posts videos on PbNation
dstanley753 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
dstanley753 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
MARPAT is nice but I'm diggin the Multicam too! My philosophy on ACU's is "ACU is great on you...I like to shoot and I can see you!"

GraveDiggersPaintball
Team Elder/ SGT at ARMS
dstanley753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 01:46 PM #18
BobLong435

lol @ them not briefing marines on why ACU's are gray.

look at the following picture:

Tell me, did you see a green dot or a grey doughnut? The eye is drawn to bright colors, not neutral.

Here is ACU

and MARPAT

The marpat uses the same technique that zebras use, which is to break up a single object into many smaller objects with starkly contrasting colors, and keep the eye from focusing on a single human shaped object.
The ACU uses a different method, which is to "gray out" the object, making the object stand out less against the background, but also uses the MARPAT technique to a bit, so you're many different objects that blend in.

I think they would both work, however if you're playing in the woods the marine uniform, which was designed for quick insurgence and only to hide an approaching object and not a stationary "holding" object wouldn't work as well.

Oh, and penguin style, that is a winter combat uniform. It is blue/gray and not white for a reason.
BobLong435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 AM #19
ChopsTSSOC
TSSOC

ChopsTSSOC helped look for balloons
ChopsTSSOC is playing at Living Legends III
but hey everyone, don't throw those ACUs out just yet!!! Because when we invade the moon...perfecto!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:59 AM #20
BobLong435

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopsTSSOC View Post
but hey everyone, don't throw those ACUs out just yet!!! Because when we invade the moon...perfecto!
Those are winter ACUs
BobLong435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:12 AM #21
ChopsTSSOC
TSSOC

ChopsTSSOC helped look for balloons
ChopsTSSOC is playing at Living Legends III
no, I meant regular ACUs. A) there are no "winter ACUs" and B) look at the picture in the upper right vs. the larger picture of us in multi-cam, and try to tell me that the other isn't perfect for the moon! http://www.tristatespecops.com/members.asp