Community Focus

Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 PM #1
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!

has been a member for 10 years
pacasowithagun owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
pacasowithagun is an NCPA National Champion
Job search

Figured there are others that are in my situation so I'd make a thread about it.

Anyway, I'm going into my senior year. A bunch of my friends graduated this year and only about half have gotten jobs thus far. I realize I still have to get through my last year until I'm at that point, but from what everyone I have talked to has told me is start as early as realistically possible. I don't want to start looking and applying too early cause I feel as though it would be a futile effort since I can't start until June at the earliest.

So ST:CL, any tips on looking for jobs? When to really seriously start looking?
pacasowithagun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-13-2012, 02:56 AM #2
texaspaintballplpaye

texaspaintballplpaye is a Supporting Member
texaspaintballplpaye is a Paintball photographer
It's never to early. In fact you probably started late. Internships are one of the best ways to start.

However in the grand scheme of things now is still earlier than most other college students.
texaspaintballplpaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:56 AM #3
F1VENOM

What major?
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:04 PM #4
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspaintballplpaye View Post
It's never to early. In fact you probably started late. Internships are one of the best ways to start.

However in the grand scheme of things now is still earlier than most other college students.
Ive already done 3 internships and am working part time doing product development, so experience shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
What major?
Mechanical engineering. Specifically product design and development.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:16 PM #5
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacasowithagun View Post
Ive already done 3 internships and am working part time doing product development, so experience shouldn't be an issue.

Mechanical engineering. Specifically product design and development.
If you don't graduate with a job you're behind the curve. You should start working it now and definitely go to conferences to make the contacts that get you interviews and jobs. Now is when you start getting a hold of everyone you're interested in working for and letters of recommendation from professors.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
Old 08-13-2012, 03:08 PM #6
ladd_17
Boycott 10bps

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
ladd_17 is Boss
I just finished my BS in biomedical engineering in July. Started looking for jobs in January, didn't get any serious interviews until late June. Got my first (and only) job offer the day after I finished classes.

Personally, I wish I'd have just waited until late May/early June to start looking. All starting in January really did was make me depressed/anxious.

Desperately awaiting the return of fun tournament paintball

TRUST
ladd_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM #7
pacasowithagun
SMASH! Now clean it up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
If you don't graduate with a job you're behind the curve. You should start working it now and definitely go to conferences to make the contacts that get you interviews and jobs. Now is when you start getting a hold of everyone you're interested in working for and letters of recommendation from professors.
Im going to be doing what I can with the little extra time im gonna have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladd_17 View Post
I just finished my BS in biomedical engineering in July. Started looking for jobs in January, didn't get any serious interviews until late June. Got my first (and only) job offer the day after I finished classes.

Personally, I wish I'd have just waited until late May/early June to start looking. All starting in January really did was make me depressed/anxious.
Thats kinda how I feel. Especially since I cant start until late june at the earliest. I cant imagine employers seriously considering a candidate that cant start for at least 6 months...
Old 08-13-2012, 03:24 PM #8
F1VENOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacasowithagun View Post
Im going to be doing what I can with the little extra time im gonna have.

Thats kinda how I feel. Especially since I cant start until late june at the earliest. I cant imagine employers seriously considering a candidate that cant start for at least 6 months...
Happens all the time but the hiring process takes a while so don't forget that.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM #9
Nowayout24
F.E.A.R

Nowayout24 is playing at Living Legends V
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Nowayout24 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Nowayout24 supports Team VICIOUS
Nowayout24 supports Pev's Paintball
Nowayout24 is attending Decay of Nations VI
I cannot stress this enough, USE the alumni system at your college, they will be more inclined to hire a graduate of their former university than some joe shmoe they have never heard of before.

7/10 times there will be a job opening in your field of interest aswell through the alumni system, but also dont be afraid to branch out..anything you can put on your future resume will help
Nowayout24 is offline   Reply With Quote