PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 04-24-2008, 07:30 PM #1
will 1 am (Banned)

has been a member for 10 years
"Gernade Launcher" Im sorry to make another one of these

I was wondering if some one would help me out.

I want to make a classic "Spud gun" but was aiming at shooting tennis balls using compressed air. It would be more of a tank gun.

I was plannign on making it out of pvc but I cant Think out how I could use and regulate compressed air. I see alot of the pressure release buttons but Im not really sure how they work.

Help or a link would be great!
will 1 am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 PM #2
will 1 am (Banned)

help?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:55 PM #3
Dr.Kavorkien

You'd have to use a reg and an asa if you want to use like a PB gun tank on it. PM me and I can talk to you about it. This isn't really a PB related thread.
Dr.Kavorkien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM #4
NoXi
I'm cool :D

Search around on google for spud guns. There are some good instructions.

RIP Joe Pass
:tup: I did it for the Lulz : 4/6/08 , 07:47 PM
NoXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:19 PM #5
will 1 am (Banned)

thanks alot
Old 05-04-2008, 06:55 PM #6
sniperx117
Resident A-rab

DONT MAKE IT OUT OF PVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111!!!!!!! !!!!!ONEONE!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!

Im serious. Use galvinized metal for the chamber and then pvc for thebarrel

Ok. Let me give you my experiance with spud guns.

I have made 3- 2 Combustion 1 Pnumatic.

The basic layout of my pnu-mie was a couple of galvinized pipes connected to each other and teflon tape to seal them up inbetween. That served as my expansion chamber. The i had a 1" ball valve inbetween the chamber and my PVC barrel.

It ran on CO2. I hooked it up direcly to the expansion chamber by use of an asa and a stainless steel hose. That proved to be problematic because there was a leak between the chamber and the stainless steel hose because I had to drill a hole in the back of the end of the cannon and stick the hose in it. Even with a TON of teflon tape and paste, i could not seal it up.

I only got it to shoot once. It shot about 130 ft. accuratly. It was insane.

But after that, I just gave up. The cannon is now laying in my basement.
m now working on my new combustion.

Check out these sites:
http://www.freepaintballplans.com/la...ll_cannons.htm
http://www.spudfiles.com/
We strike Straight
We sing Sin
We thin Gin
We jazz June
We Die Soon
sniperx117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM #7
OvahKeel

PVC is fine as long as you use a high schedule pipe, that means they are higher pressure (thicker wall) some pvc will hold 250psi+ I have made a nerf launcher out of pvc, unfortunately it wasnt allowed at the scenario because it was PVC, even though it had a HPA tank w/ adjustable reg, they were fine with it as long as i switched it with a quickswitch 12gram cartridge (which ended up being ~60 psi in the exp. chamber) and shot pretty far, just not as far as 100-120 psi anyway, if you plan on using it at a scenario, find out what their rules are for tanks etc, before you begin building as that could really set you back if you show up and they wouldnt let you use it.
OvahKeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:15 AM #8
beakerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperx117 View Post
DONT MAKE IT OUT OF PVC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111!!!!!!! !!!!!ONEONE!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!ELEVEN!!!!

Im serious. Use galvinized metal for the chamber and then pvc for thebarrel

Ok. Let me give you my experiance with spud guns.

I have made 3- 2 Combustion 1 Pnumatic.

The basic layout of my pnu-mie was a couple of galvinized pipes connected to each other and teflon tape to seal them up inbetween. That served as my expansion chamber. The i had a 1" ball valve inbetween the chamber and my PVC barrel.

It ran on CO2. I hooked it up direcly to the expansion chamber by use of an asa and a stainless steel hose. That proved to be problematic because there was a leak between the chamber and the stainless steel hose because I had to drill a hole in the back of the end of the cannon and stick the hose in it. Even with a TON of teflon tape and paste, i could not seal it up.

I only got it to shoot once. It shot about 130 ft. accuratly. It was insane.

But after that, I just gave up. The cannon is now laying in my basement.
m now working on my new combustion.

Check out these sites:
http://www.freepaintballplans.com/la...ll_cannons.htm
http://www.spudfiles.com/

Well that makes for a heavy gun doesn't it? You are so down on PVC pipe. Everytime the subject comes up you scream "DON'T DO IT!!!"

I have built many launchers out of PVC pipe and not had a single problem. In fact I would say that 90% of the homemade launchers youencounter are PVC and you don't hear on the nightly news obout them blowing up and injuring people. If they were as unsafe as you seem to think they are no field would allow them for insurance reasons.

The trick is to actually know what you are doing. You need to know the specs of your materials and work safely with in those limitations. For instance3 1/2 inch Schedule 40 solid PVC pipe has a burst rating of 280PSI. Now if you are planning on making it safe you install a little $5 peice of hardware called a pop off and use a regulated air source. Get a pop off that is rated at 100-125PSI that puts you well within the "safety" range for the 3 1/2 inch pipe. Alternatively you can design the chamber to safely hold one charge from a 12 gram cartridge.

In my opinion comustion guns are dangerous by comparison. You have no way of regulating the fuel load therefore no way of regulating the firing pressure which means aside from the obvious safety of the launcher issues you have no way of regulating velocity. You also "shock" the chamber with high pressure and heat--it's an explosion in there dude. How do you think a real pipe bomb works? I used to make those too as a dumb kid.

Personaly I'd rather stand next to the reasonably designed homemeade PVC air cannon than someones idea of a "safe" galvanized steel combustion gun. The air gun will pressurize slowly by comparison then release quickly where as that fume burner will chunk the ball via a small uncontrolled explosion.

Just for infromation purposes though given the same wall thickness, the larger the diameter the pipe the weaker it is--that is true of all pipe. There are some good sites that list the pressure ratings of various pipes (doom labs portal is one if memory serves me correctly). Also when you buy PVC pipe it has the pressure rating printed on it. The one precaution I would stress other thant he basic hardware design is make sure you get the correct pipe. If you are not paying attention and just looking a price you can get hosed royaly. Make sure your pipe is not--repeat NOT vent pipe. That stuff is foam core and does not hold up to any kind of pressure. Jsut look for the pressure rating printed on the side...
beakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:50 PM #9
sniperx117
Resident A-rab

Look, if you are luggin around a friggin RPG around, i doubt you are worred about the weight

Teh combustions were not made for PB. They were just for fun
We strike Straight
We sing Sin
We thin Gin
We jazz June
We Die Soon
sniperx117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:17 PM #10
Schrap
Eclipse

Schrap is a Supporting Member
www.spudcom.com carries what you need. Dont make it outa metal, thats a dumb Idea. PVC schedule 40 will work perfect.

Last edited by Schrap : 05-26-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Schrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 PM #11
wolfman767
I was a 2k6'er

wolfman767 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
wolfman767 supports Team VICIOUS
wolfman767 plays in the APPA D4 division
i just built one.
i can build another one, and you may buy it.
please pm me,
Old 05-27-2008, 10:41 AM #12
Gutless

Dude P.V.C. pipe is alot stronger than one may think. I just made a paintball mortar (well I got the compression part done) and I got the think to go to 500 psi without leaking, 600 and it started to leak just a little. So unless you need 1000 or above psi (witch you probably do, cause mine just doesn't go far enough) pvc pipe is fine.
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next 3 minutes, this is your heaven on earth...live it...love it...Paintball 4 life.." Matty Marshal
(quote found by magman687)
Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:56 AM #13
Gutless

Actually you don't need a 1000 or above psi, unless you want it too shoot a 1000 yards or somthing like that. Just make sure you put a barrel on it, because I didn't and the paintballs went around 5 feet.
"You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there... your world is right for the next 3 minutes, this is your heaven on earth...live it...love it...Paintball 4 life.." Matty Marshal
(quote found by magman687)
Gutless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM #14
Leafy
Uses the man pedal

Leafy helped look for balloons
I'm sorry to kill mr 1000 psi up there but there are people out there that shoot pumkins 1 mile+ and use 140 psi. Its all about volume and the flow of your valve, you need a resuvare volume of atleast the volume of the barrel. you also need a valve the opens faster than a ball valve. I'll let you figure out what to use sence it is a trade secret. If you don't belive me about pumpkins look of punkin chunkin.

By the way you cant shoot tennis balls from pvc you would need 2.5 inch pvc which they don't make for the specific reason that they don't want people to make tennis ball guns. My 2 inch barrel gun at 80 psi consistantly shoots 95 yards.
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:34 AM #15
fallendman
Photographer

spud guns are so much fun
[Nelson Field] [The Bar]
BOOM BOOM SKEET SKEET
xbox live-DTA BOOZLES
fallendman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM #16
Paintb4ller02
Garrett

Paintb4ller02 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
to shoot it with compressed air i know you can use bike valves and such for tires, pump it using a tire pump and it will shoot. there are directions for it on google im sure
Paintb4ller02 is offline   Reply With Quote