PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-26-2012, 05:30 PM #1
Rocket Dawg

has been a member for 10 years
What are symptoms of a bad battery?

Before I drop some coin on a new battery how do you know when it's time to replace it? It was charging fine but now when I turn the LCD on it flickers and won't go beyond that. Just a few days ago it went to SAFE no problem.

This thing sat for about 3 years in storage.

Thanks.
Rocket Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 PM #2
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

One easy way to tell if the problem is the battery or the board is to build a test battery out of AAs. You can use a battery holder from Radio Shack and just splice it into the battery wiring (make sure to leave yourself enough room to splice the old battery back together). If the board powers on using your test battery, the problem is most likely the battery.
dr.strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM #3
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

Did you turn the Angel on while charging?
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led ,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra signature series,Rev-i,Angel IR3 Fly,Disco Dust Dark IR3,05 Speed,2K Blazer,Rasta A4 Fly

Angel Army
kill-n-spree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM #4
Rocket Dawg

I did turn it on but then turned it off. Let me guess... I'm supposed to have it on while charging?

Last edited by Rocket Dawg : 10-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 PM #5
Skullman

1 word, Yup.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 PM #6
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

Yep, good catch kill-n-spree. The switch needs to be in the "On" position in order for the gun to charge. The LCD screen will go through its bootup phase and then the battery bar will cascade to indicate it is charging. When it is done it will read "Safe" and the battery bar will stop cascading.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM #7
Rocket Dawg

OK it charged up nicely however I don't think the charge will last but a week. That is with the Angel on a few times but no play.

I had charged it a couple weeks ago but it ran out of juice pretty quickly.

I assume it's almost time to get a new battery if it loses its charge in a week or so?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 PM #8
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

You know your angel has gone bad when it comes home wearing a pair of clear heels.....what????
Your best off Yarding that battery and buy a pmr virtue rail. 9 volt conversions are sweet. Pm for details if you'd like.

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747
sledneckforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:51 PM #9
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

If the battery isn't holding a charge very well it's probably just wearing out. The PMR mod is a good option if you want to swap it out, but if you really like the LCD screen or want to stay original, you can pick up a new battery at the following link or visit a local RC shop or BatteriesPlus and they can make you one for around $30:

http://www.ballisticbatteries.com/St...owLarge=Tr ue
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM #10
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

I would go to ballistic like Doc said.Make sure you save the old pack so you can unsolder the negative tab to solder on to the bey pack. I have bought 10-11 packs off them and they last forever on a charge. You already have a working board and charger, no sense de-valuing your LCD buy modding it to fit a pmr board.That is something you do when you want to cheap out. I wouldn't buy a Angel with a PMR board in it.
COBRA G7,Angel 1,Master tech Angel Force Fly,Angel Gat,Custom Angel Led ,2000 LCD Angel Pump,2k1 Dark Angel,04 Angel Speed,C&C Angel IR3,Ice Fade G7 Fly,DM4,Eblade,Grey Ghost,PGP,2006 Grey Ghost,BLong Cocker,Angel G7,Cobra Mamba FLY,2K1 Angel Fly,Rasta G7 Fly,Dark 2K3 Angel,Euro Angel,2k2 Apollo Angel,2k1 Cobra signature series,Rev-i,Angel IR3 Fly,Disco Dust Dark IR3,05 Speed,2K Blazer,Rasta A4 Fly

Angel Army
Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 AM #11
sledneckforlife
EastCoastAngel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill-n-spree
I would go to ballistic like Doc said.Make sure you save the old pack so you can unsolder the negative tab to solder on to the bey pack. I have bought 10-11 packs off them and they last forever on a charge. You already have a working board and charger, no sense de-valuing your LCD buy modding it to fit a pmr board.That is something you do when you want to cheap out. I wouldn't buy a Angel with a PMR board in it.
You almost convince me your a purist.

For all your angel repair needs

978-530-6747
sledneckforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM #12
Rocket Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
If the battery isn't holding a charge very well it's probably just wearing out. The PMR mod is a good option if you want to swap it out, but if you really like the LCD screen or want to stay original, you can pick up a new battery at the following link or visit a local RC shop or BatteriesPlus and they can make you one for around $30:

http://www.ballisticbatteries.com/St...owLarge=Tr ue

Are the batteries the same for all the Angels or does the LCD have a specific one?

Thanks to everyone for the help. I have two Angels and like all of you I'm proud of them.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:02 AM #13
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

5 cell,6 volt,stick style battery pack
2/3 A size cells.Google it. There have been several write ups on a few forums on how to do this.

Angel Army
Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM #14
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

The newer batteries are 4.8v NiMH (they drop a cell). The LCD and IR3 both use a 5 cell 6v NiMH.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:05 PM #15
Rocket Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
The newer batteries are 4.8v NiMH (they drop a cell). The LCD and IR3 both use a 5 cell 6v NiMH.

I had the eyes conversion done by FMA and now it has the G7 board. Same battery as LCD?

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:50 PM #16
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

G7 board in a LCD? Are you sure? G7 board powers a lower voltage noid then the LCD runs. What model do you have. I know you said LCD, but that doesn't add up.

Angel Army
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 PM #17
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

They used to install A4 Fly boards in the original Fly mod, which has the same output as the G7 series. I always wondered how they got around the lower solenoid output, but I guess it works. I believe they used to pair it with the 6v battery, so perhaps the over-voltage is enough to compensate.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:24 PM #18
Rocket Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill-n-spree View Post
G7 board in a LCD? Are you sure? G7 board powers a lower voltage noid then the LCD runs. What model do you have. I know you said LCD, but that doesn't add up.

I sent my Angel LCD into FMA about 4 years ago and he put the Eye mod on it. I know he switched the board and told me it was now a G7 Fly.

I also bought a G7 Fly so I would have two angels.

That being said (and I know I sound ignorant) what battery should I be using for these?

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:36 PM #19
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

It's probably a 6v battery. Easy way to tell: pull the battery out. You can differentiate the cells pretty easily - there is a seam in the wrap between each one. If there are 5 cells, it's a 6v battery. If there are 4 cells, it's a 4.8v battery. Replace accordingly.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM #20
kill-n-spree
MythicalAngelPumpWeilder

I would imagine it would have the 5 cell pack in it, I don't think the 4.8 would get the job done without major shootdown. Just like Doc said ,you can easily count the cells when you pull the pack out. I would love to see how they modded the back of the lcd trigger to work with the G7 board.Pull the grip off and shoot a picture of the board and trigger please.

Angel Army
Old 10-30-2012, 08:36 PM #21
dr.strangelove
The Angel Eye Doctor

I modded my Force 4 trigger for use with a G7 board using a cut up soda can for the trigger leaf. I'm sure the MTs had a more professional solution, but probably similar design style with a piece of sheet metal attached to the back of the trigger.