PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 AM #1
JBith40
4-wheels

5 man strategy argument

Ok, so the team I am on is going to play there first tournament, and I had a question about snake strategy. When I said we need to make some plays where we don't go directly into the snake, our snake player said thats is a stupid idea. He thinks that which ever team can get their guy into the snake will automatically win.

By not going into the snake I was hoping to get more guns blazing which would increase our chances of getting one of their players out, even their snake player.

I see the snake as a gamble. With all the lanes of paint coming at you, you have just as much of a chance to get out than to successfully make it. Also If we go to the snake every game other teams will catch on giving them an easy out and the upper hand, so I figure we need to mix it up a little.

What do you guys think? What are some plays we can use to mix it up? How do I tell my snake player (who is set on the snake) that he should not get in there nice and deep?... lol

Any legitimate comment will be appreciated.
Team Blitzkrieg #32
SCS#3 winners

JBith40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2010, 12:16 PM #2
eforcegtid00d
factorypb

has been a member for 10 years
eforcegtid00d plays in the PSP
eforcegtid00d owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
If you have a snake player fast enough to make it in off the break, send him in. If your snake player is struggling to get in off the break, it's okay to have him delay and shoot at their snake player. First in the snake doesn't automatically win, but it definitely puts pressure on the other team.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:13 PM #3
Darthdoug
CRU Paintball Player

Darthdoug donated to help Peyton Trent
Darthdoug supports our troops
Darthdoug plays in the APPA D3 division
Yep... to me, you get into snake if you're pretty much sure you can do it. If you're not sure you have to change it up throughout the day or the other teams will KNOW you do it every game and they'll put up a solid lane of 1-3 guns over there and tear him up. Some fields getting into the snake off break is almost guaranteed if you're fast enough. Some fields getting into snake off break is nearly impossible against good laning teams.

If you can get into snake repeatedly and safely, you usually do it. If you get laned even once, you should be changing it up at least some games.
Darthdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:41 PM #4
madmike19
Mile High Saints Open #9

plays in the NXL
madmike19 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
madmike19 supports Team VICIOUS
As the fellas above me put it, its going to depend on a few conditions.

I play primarily in snake, and for my team, we've been putting AT LEAST 4 guns up off break. In the last 5man we played, we tested the waters our first game and i got into snake right of the bat, and bumped to snake50 really quick to put the pressure on. If you see teams laning snake a lot, try a delayed insertion into snake (we put all 5 guns up, make sure they cant get anyone into snake), so have your snake player lane his mirror and get to a bunker where you can easily bump in. He needs to communicate with his snake corner to figure out when he dominates tape and when the lane is open.

Depending on how fast your snake guy is, you're gonna find out what works best. Quicker he is, more likely you are to get in right off the break (also depends on how open lanes are on the field). Good luck! If you have a chance, scrimmage another team and try some different methods out!
Ballin' in the 303 baby!!! MHS Open #9
DARK Vampire SL94
madmike19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:44 PM #5
tyskidmore3

plays in the NXL
tyskidmore3 helped look for balloons
tyskidmore3 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
tyskidmore3 plays in the APPA D1 division
Your snake player should know his limitations and IF he can make it in the snake without being laned off break, let him get in there and put some pressure on them. If he gets shot out once in a while have him delay and run and gun shooting a dorito lane or a snake lane. It really depends on the field cause at my field I can delay off break to an insert while laning the dorito side and have shot him out before. Getting into the snake is a good plan but not necessary every game to win.

1stphorm Legionaire
Avid Traveler
tyskidmore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 11:07 PM #6
madmike19
Mile High Saints Open #9

plays in the NXL
And to add to that I'd say that while it's not neccessary to get in right away, it is VERY important to put someone in eventually (in most situations)!
DARK Vampire SL94
Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM #7
JBith40
4-wheels

Awesome guys. Thanks for the help.
Team Blitzkrieg #32
SCS#3 winners

JBith40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM #8
zwack30
Team Blitzkrieg

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike19 View Post
As the fellas above me put it, its going to depend on a few conditions.

I play primarily in snake, and for my team, we've been putting AT LEAST 4 guns up off break. In the last 5man we played, we tested the waters our first game and i got into snake right of the bat, and bumped to snake50 really quick to put the pressure on. If you see teams laning snake a lot, try a delayed insertion into snake (we put all 5 guns up, make sure they cant get anyone into snake), so have your snake player lane his mirror and get to a bunker where you can easily bump in. He needs to communicate with his snake corner to figure out when he dominates tape and when the lane is open.

Depending on how fast your snake guy is, you're gonna find out what works best. Quicker he is, more likely you are to get in right off the break (also depends on how open lanes are on the field). Good luck! If you have a chance, scrimmage another team and try some different methods out!
Team Blitzkrieg #30
1st Place @ SCS 3 and 3rd Overall in Entire Series
Proud Sponsors:
zwack30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 AM #9
yellowman

I have a different opinion. Play the the snake only if there is an advantage to it. If he is in the snake and he has no shots on anyone, it's a wasted move. Look to see if the snake plays strong or weak. Play to your strentghs and dominate from whichever side you are strong on. That's how we won HB d3 5 man last month.

NV Reign is headed to Chicago to defend it's points lead in NPPL

marq victory, marq 6, hybrid mummy, 06 infamous, orry pump, orry race, , cocker pump
yellowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM #10
madmike19
Mile High Saints Open #9

plays in the NXL
Yellowman, I do agree with what you're saying because you obviously want to dominate the advantageous positions on the field.
HOWEVER
It just so happens that MANY MANY fields are designed so that the snake is a brilliant kill zone, they are layed out so that snake has some incredible angles is usually an important spot.
DARK Vampire SL94
Old 05-21-2010, 05:38 PM #11
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
it's important to know your field. Walk the field before you start playing and look at all the angles from the snake. Make sure you know the lanes as well. If there is no cover to the snake, you may want to do a delay. If there are pins or a can in the lane, send him in the first game and see how it works. you can always change your strategy. Remember that you will usually want to push both sides, so if your snake player is drawing attention, get you dorito side players up.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:10 PM #12
madmike19
Mile High Saints Open #9

plays in the NXL
Quote:
so if your snake player is drawing attention, get you dorito side players up
SO TRUE. On that note, make sure your snake player knows his role! One thing that gets overlooked a lot of times as a snake player is our role in tying up guns!!!! Since it is an advantageous position, if he gets far enough up the field he may have 2 or 3 guns ripping at him. This gives everyone else (especially D-side) a chance to make some moves! Just make sure (and i have trouble with this) your snake man is calm and collected, even when 3 guys are shooting at him! HES DOING A GREAT JOB IF THATS THE CASE! Make sure he stays alive!
DARK Vampire SL94
Old 05-22-2010, 02:12 AM #13
johnny_zanni

johnny_zanni owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
johnny_zanni supports Team VICIOUS
One thing you could try to is tto get your snake player to practice. Do 30 second 1v1 2v1 break out drills. Get your best laner to shoot snake right off the break and get your snake guy to try and get right in. If he can do it 10-12 times in a row without getting a hit (even bounces, they wont always bounce). Then get him to try it with 2 guys laning. If he can still do it then you are probly pretty good to try and get him to go right in. If he gets shot. Even once, tell him to delay and bump in.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 AM #14
317assasin
scotty

i am small and pretty fast i still have had problems making it directly to the snake
317assasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM #15
The[HcS]
Kickin' it old school

The[HcS] plays in the PSP
The[HcS] plays in the MiLP
dunno if you still need help with this. but i usually almost always delay and lane snake corner area and then run into snake and make it just about every time. and a snake player isnt anything without a corner to back him

"Originally posted by spreck: Egos/Timmies are designed to be fast/light. Vikings are designed to be right. Fast is a bi-product."
The[HcS] is offline   Reply With Quote