Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 10-12-2010, 03:19 PM #1
olegodo
more cake!

has been a member for 10 years
olegodo supports Cereal Killerz 2
Aternative board for the Quest?

I know that this question has been asked before. But I am wondering if anyone know if there is any board (modern board with screen and so on) that can operate the Quest eyes and noid?
If necessary, the eyes can easily be changed to some with the same diameter, the noid would be a bit harder, but doable with an manifold.

I know many have had the same idea, so is there any one who has done this og made some research?
olegodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM #2
eatafetus
Swiggity Swooty

eatafetus supports our troops
eatafetus supports Ninja Paintball
the noid is identical to the one for the DM4,5,C and pm5. so if you can find an oled board meant for one of those guns, you're gravy.

I did some research into this, and I figured out that the quest noid could also run a dm6/pm6 oled board. the noid is different, but the electrical inputs are the same. I never got around to fabricating the frame cuts and mount.

So thats your job now.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:55 AM #3
olegodo
more cake!

Well, seeing that you can put an UL frame on a DM4/5,C and then put a brand new oled board in that, i would guess you can use the same board with the quest noid. Problem with DM boards is the size... Something like a Droid/Clone Board would be easier, or a Marq board could work.
Will do more reasearch on this.

Yes, i know this is not nessecery, waste of money and so on.. but hey, I want to do it because I can!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:32 AM #4
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Yep, the Yakuza Droid board has always looked promising to me, as being the most likely board to fit in the same space as the Quest board - give or take - but it's a lot of money to drop on a project that may not be successful. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has one of these boards for me to take a look at.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:25 AM #5
olegodo
more cake!

Neither do I.
But, does anyone know if the diameter of the Droid eyes are the same as on the quest?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM #6
eatafetus
Swiggity Swooty

I dont.

Id like to have something to fit in the quest frame, but the entire right side of the frame is solid, you'ld have to cut that out to make it fit. I tried to put a stock PM8 board in my quest just for mock up purposes, and IIRC it was too long.

I think a shocker board might work, provided that it isnt as long either. All you really need to do is find a gun that has a noid that can operate at the approximate voltage (and they are all very close to each other, with a few execptions) and youre in business.

OR - one of the limiting factors on using a UL board in the quest is length, but if you made the noid shorter, then it would fit with some modification. The noid used int he pm6 and beyone range of dye guns uses the same inputs as its predecessor, but has about half the mass. if you could make a manifold to adapt that noid to the quest body, that would work. I looked into that as well though, and it will be very tough, as the mounting holes dont cooperate with that idea.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:59 PM #7
eatafetus
Swiggity Swooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uziel Gal View Post
Yep, the Yakuza Droid board has always looked promising to me, as being the most likely board to fit in the same space as the Quest board - give or take - but it's a lot of money to drop on a project that may not be successful. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who has one of these boards for me to take a look at.
easy fix...just get a stock droid board (Im assuming they are about the same size, except for the screen) and make sure that it outputs the appropriate voltage to the noid. The Yakuza will output the same.

I have never seen one of these...but you think they might fit?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:28 AM #8
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
It's one of the smaller boards out there, and in the same general format as a Quest board.

Image courtesy of tadaotechnologies.

Might need to replace the battery clips with a battery harness, but no great problem there. The screen is on the correct side. You'd need to rig up the on/off switch somewhere on the marker, and the frame may need some milling to get it in there, but it is closer to the size and shape of the Quest board than most other boards.

Still lots that could be off though - voltage, current and modulation of the power to the solenoid, the plugs used (though that should be another simple fix), eye fit, position of the microswitch (probably something you can work around), screw holes (drilling and tapping the frame should be too much of a hardship though), and so on.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 PM #9
keyster320

lmk if this works
keyster320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:27 PM #11
AaronGPB

AaronGPB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AaronGPB supports Pev's Paintball
AaronGPB has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
not from me...sorry
AaronGPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:45 AM #12
olegodo
more cake!

Not from me neither.
I am actually thinging of just dropping the whole idea :/
A new marker for the next season is just to tempting now, witch makes this project pointless for me.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:25 PM #13
Ttownhero
I hate you pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegodo View Post
Neither do I.
But, does anyone know if the diameter of the Droid eyes are the same as on the quest?
No I believe quest are 5mm and droid are 3mm...but if you want to use the droid eye harnesses just cut the eyes off and put 5mm eyes on.

Ttownhero is offline   Reply With Quote