PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-27-2012, 10:44 PM #1
Anthony514

Anthony514 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Reflex rail or eclipse Etek??

I'm a shocker nxt owner and want to buy a new gun from factory .i am either looking to get a rail reflex or planet eclipse Etek .any suggestions ?

Last edited by Anthony514 : 06-27-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Anthony514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-27-2012, 10:59 PM #2
DragonION85

DragonION85 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
DragonION85 plays in the APPA beginner division
ETEK
you will hands down have way less problems and there awesome guns, i have owned at least 5 so far and will never get rid of it.
Team: Sanity Lost #27 (C)
SUPER Up'd ION--$125 http://s1240.photobucket.com/albums/...%20for%20sale/

CAPTIN
SANITY LOST
DragonION85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:02 PM #3
Anthony514

What kind of problems do the rail reflex have ??
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 PM #4
monkeyballer099639
monkeyballer

plays in the NXL
monkeyballer099639 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
monkeyballer099639 plays in the APPA D4 division
monkeyballer099639 supports DLX Technology
The reflex doesn't have issues if you maintain them properly. The shoot very similar to Dms, but don't have an LPR to help balance them. The reflex will be smoother than the etek, but will be less efficient and need more maintenance, meaning that you can't just throw it in your bag and take it out in a month without relubing it. The etek will be more reliable, efficient, and require less maintenance, but it does have some kick and they are very loud. Both have great CS and come ready to go stock, all though you may want to upgrade the barrel.

If you are used to a shocker, then the maintenance on the reflex will be the same and it will feel very similar to you.

Evolution Sports
Zombie Unicorn Attack
monkeyballer099639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:01 AM #5
Snowbone
Caleb Adrian

Snowbone owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Snowbone has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Snowbone has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
You might also for the price point instead of considering a ETEK consider an Etha. They are great guns they feel like geo's and shoot really smooth.
Snowbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM #6
BigDogTim
That's the motto.

BigDogTim is playing at Living Legends V
BigDogTim supports Sherwood Forest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbone View Post
You might also for the price point instead of considering a ETEK consider an Etha. They are great guns they feel like geo's and shoot really smooth.
I couldn't disagree with this post any more.
The ETHA does shoot like a GEO, insofar as its worth about $300 less than it costs. The ETHA feels VERY cheap in the hands and even has a shot that I feel is comparable to a Spyder or Azodin. Every time you shoot, there's a hard vibration that, in my opinion, resembles the quality of materials that were used to make the gun -- horrible.

DO NOT BUY AN ETHA.

Back on topic.

Reflex Rails shoot very smooth but need to be maintained much more. ETEK's are more efficient, VERY loud, very "kicky", and require far less maintenance.

You're asking for a comparison between a spool valve design and a poppet design, so the following point will hold true for most guns in those categories in general.

ETEK3/4 (POPPET)
1. More efficient
2. More reliable
3. Less maintenance required
4. More kick
5. MUCH louder
6. VERY "unsmooth" shot.

Reflex Rail (SPOOL)
1. Much smoother shot
2. Much Quieter
3. Very little barrel rise, IF ANY
4. Requires more maintenance
5. Still very reliable
6. Less efficient

Both are ready to go out of the box. Since you're currently a shocker owner, I would suggest that you get a Reflex '12 (Or you can find a pretty cheap 11 on here), as you would have much less of a chance of being disappointed. I know that, when I got my ETEK after my Reflex, I was like a fish out of water. I simply wasn't comfortable with it. Of course, I've become more adaptable since then, but still.
BigDogTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:16 AM #7
Anthony514

Ok Ty for helping me out with this I am going to buy a rail reflex Ty all for all the help
Old 06-28-2012, 09:53 AM #8
blueshifty
John - conscious paradox

has been a member for 10 years
A copy of my post in a similar thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
If you are set on those 2 options only, then most proshops will have both for you to hold. BigDogTim summed it up pretty well. If you will entertain other guns in that price range, then I strongly recommend the MacDev Drone DX; I believe it is the best shooting gun in that price range.

blueshifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 AM #9
stuntman007

stuntman007 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I also encourage the drone DX. It is just as smooth as the reflex rail when broken in, almost if not as efficient as Etek when broken in, way simpler than proto and just a bit more complicated than Etek. What more do you want in a gun?

Blueshifty: it seems we always preach the same thing. Haha
Old 09-30-2012, 01:01 AM #10
FaCe ShOt
pball is life, not hobby

FaCe ShOt owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
FaCe ShOt is for the Gunfight
FaCe ShOt has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
FaCe ShOt has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
FaCe ShOt has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Etek. My very first gun was an Ethel and I haven't looked back yet

"That feeling in your gut, that voice in your head, that trembling in your legs... Thats me. And you can run, you'll just die tired".

If you start hearing people scream...its cause im doin a run through on your ***...and ill be back next point too
FaCe ShOt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 AM #11
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See

Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Soul06 supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogTim View Post
I couldn't disagree with this post any more.
The ETHA does shoot like a GEO, insofar as its worth about $300 less than it costs. The ETHA feels VERY cheap in the hands and even has a shot that I feel is comparable to a Spyder or Azodin. Every time you shoot, there's a hard vibration that, in my opinion, resembles the quality of materials that were used to make the gun -- horrible.

DO NOT BUY AN ETHA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshifty View Post
A copy of my post in a similar thread.
Greatly disagree with y'alls opinion of the Etha. From my perspective it seems yall compare it to other mid-range spools when it is actually entry-level. For its class of marker it a very good

Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:47 AM #12
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
That's because it's PRICED with other midrange. It's more expensive than a Proto Rail, Invert Mini, or Mokal Aura/Valken Proton. And feels cheeper than all 3 of those, and shoots worse IMO than all 3 of those. Yes, I agree the Etha should be compared to entry level markers, but it's price says it should be compared to mid-range markers.

Between strictly those 2, I might recommend the Etek simply for the "try something new" factor. However I prefer the way the Reflex shoots (although I think it's overpriced). Agreed on that I'd take a Drone DX over either of those, I personally would also take a Proton over either one.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:01 PM #13
Soul06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller
That's because it's PRICED with other midrange. It's more expensive than a Proto Rail, Invert Mini, or Mokal Aura/Valken Proton. And feels cheeper than all 3 of those, and shoots worse IMO than all 3 of those. Yes, I agree the Etha should be compared to entry level markers, but it's price says it should be compared to mid-range markers.

Between strictly those 2, I might recommend the Etek simply for the "try something new" factor. However I prefer the way the Reflex shoots (although I think it's overpriced). Agreed on that I'd take a Drone DX over either of those, I personally would also take a Proton over either one.
But you realize that the Etha is the same price as a Tippmann Phenom. In fact just one tactical attachment to the Phenom brings the price to higher than an Etha. And the Tippmann sure isn't mid-range. Even the Tippmann Crossover costs the same as the Etha.

If not for the Axe being on the market I'm certain the Mini would costs more as well. As far as feel, it feels fine to me. Doesn't feel cheap at all. But then I never had high expectations for it as I always looked at it as an entry level speedball marker.

Since the OP already made his decision this is kind of a moot point but I'd have went for the Etek over Rail.

On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA - SC Village, CA

Last edited by Soul06 : 09-30-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:22 PM #14
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

tlmiller has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Mini debuted several years before the Axe at $300. At no point has it ever been priced higher than that, nor would it ever have. Invert went for a specific market segment with it, and Empire has continued to focus on that same market segment with the Mini.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM #15
Soul06

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmiller
Mini debuted several years before the Axe at $300. At no point has it ever been priced higher than that, nor would it ever have. Invert went for a specific market segment with it, and Empire has continued to focus on that same market segment with the Mini.
Swore the Mini came out higher then that. Memory fail. My mistake on that part.
Nonetheless the Etha's price is still low enough to be able to maintain a "entry level" title.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 AM #16
Darko9989
MacDev Militia

Darko9989 is BST Trusted
Darko9989 is playing at Living Legends V
Darko9989 is for the Gunfight
Darko9989 supports Pev's Paintball
Darko9989 has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Darko9989 is attending Decay of Nations VI
Etek. Great gun and fantastic customer support.
Darko9989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM #17
anthony2714
Tont

anthony2714 plays in the PSP
anthony2714 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
anthony2714 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
anthony2714 plays in the APPA D5 division
It's all peference

Guns from my favorable teenage years now broke adult shooting a DSR, Bob Long Marq 7 & Vice trilogy, and a KP3 pump

JT flex fanboy

Orlando Savage
anthony2714 is offline   Reply With Quote