Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 PM #1555
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 plays in the APPA D2 division
Deimus85 supports DLX Technology
I think I might go up to Windham Saturday to shred top to bottom. They have 100% of the mountain open.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM #1556
4literranger485
xtreme noob

4literranger485 supports Team VICIOUS
4literranger485 supports Empire
i need a helmet bad like. best value, bang for the buck anyone????
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 PM #1557
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Smith Maze. Period. End of discussion.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 PM #1558
Superzeus
Domer

Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Familiar View Post
lol wut?

That board is specifically built for "choppy stuff", "hardpack", and "high speeds". I think you need to learn to ride better, rather than expect a board to magically fix all your issues for you.
Maybe you're right, I admit I'm not the best rider in the world. That being said, the board won't hold an edge on steep hardpack/ice and it's very chattery at high speed unless the grooming is good. From what I understand the board is more of a freestyle/pow board, and I'd like more of an all mountain board that holds an edge, is stable, and is stiffer than the sherlock but still a little bit playful. My point of reference is a burton process cambered version.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM #1559
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzeus View Post
Maybe you're right, I admit I'm not the best rider in the world. That being said, the board won't hold an edge on steep hardpack/ice and it's very chattery at high speed unless the grooming is good. From what I understand the board is more of a freestyle/pow board, and I'd like more of an all mountain board that holds an edge, is stable, and is stiffer than the sherlock but still a little bit playful. My point of reference is a burton process cambered version.
After watching this video, and remembering when I checked it out last season...

...If you can't ride the Sherlock on the conditions that you describe, then you are going to have trouble on something stiffer. It sounds like your issue is in your riding, not the tool that you use to ride with. As somebody above said, a new snowboard is not going to fix one's personal riding issues. And if your point of reference is a cambered board, then of course...the Flying V shape that the Sherlock has is not going to grip edges AS hard as a cambered board.

An analogy that you might understand is a good paintball player is going to be a good paintball player, no matter if he is shooting a Tippman Model 98 or a DLX Luxe. Yes, the Luxe will help him out in a speedball situation, but he should still be able to hold his own with the Model 98. But that Sherlock isn't a Model 98...it's a pretty nice board.

Last edited by Deimus85 : 12-31-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM #1560
Superzeus
Domer

Yeah I get what you're saying. I'll probably keep the Sherlock the rest of this season and try and progress on it and maybe try and demo a board or two later in the season to compare. The Sherlock is awesome 90% of the time, I've had issues with it washing out coming onto my heel side on steep hardpack. I got it edged sharper a couple days ago and that helped some. The board is super quick edge to edge and a playful fun all around ride. Eventually I think I'm gonna want something more aggressive.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:05 PM #1561
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
Everyone is different in what they want I suppose. It seems like you are more willing to ride groomers and whatnot, over fresh pow lines?

Quote:
Yeah I get what you're saying. I'll probably keep the Sherlock the rest of this season and try and progress on it and maybe try and demo a board or two later in the season to compare. The Sherlock is awesome 90% of the time, I've had issues with it washing out coming onto my heel side on steep hardpack. I got it edged sharper a couple days ago and that helped some. The board is super quick edge to edge and a playful fun all around ride. Eventually I think I'm gonna want something more aggressive.
I'd be willing to bet it's not the board that is "washing out". No offense

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass

Last edited by Mr.Familiar : 12-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:19 PM #1562
JoepSantaniello
Sentient Gym Sock

JoepSantaniello supports DLX Technology
Quote:
looked at the snow report this morning... 15" new. 18" in 24 hours @ 24*.

sorry but i love you for this.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:20 PM #1563
Superzeus
Domer

Quote:
Everyone is different in what they want I suppose. It seems like you are more willing to ride groomers and whatnot, over fresh pow lines?

I'd be willing to bet it's not the board that is "washing out". No offense
I live for pow I just don't know that I get it often enough to ride more of a pow oriented board. I figure something with a similar shape to the Sherlock but a little more aggressive would still do pretty well in pow. Like I said I'll probably keep the Sherlock for at least a while and keep getting better, this is the first season I'll be able to get in 20+ days.

Last edited by Superzeus : 12-31-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 PM #1564
Mr.Familiar
We're all the same

Quote:
I live for pow I just don't know that I get it often enough to ride more of a pow oriented board. I figure something with a similar shape to the Sherlock but a little more aggressive would still do pretty well in pow. Like I said I'll probably keep the Sherlock for at least a while and keep getting better, this is the first season I'll be able to get in 20+ days.
Yeah, that makes sense. I see that you are in Socal, so I'm sure pow is a luxury down there? I'm not saying certain boards don't make the difference with specific riding, but with what you were saying, it seemed like user error was more prominent than board error. Keep working on your riding, and after you get 20+ days in this season, I think you'll come to find that it wasn't as much the board as it was the rider.

Poor man, living a rich life
"Lay your facts by the side of every-day practices of this nation and you will say with me that, for revolting barbarity and shameless hypocrisy, America reigns without a rival." -Frederick Douglass
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM #1565
East§ide
inconceivable

East§ide owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
East§ide plays in the APPA D4 division
East§ide has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
East§ide is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
I say Bern or Sandbox helmets IMHO ... And yea there's no reason that the Sherlock shouldn't be an all mountain board. A traditional camber will always make getting on your edges and holding them a little easier, but I don't think it should matter all that much . Just keep rocking on the Sherlock and at the end of the season, see if there's a good deal on a new deck out there. It sounds like magnetraction or similar would help you. That being said, if you're in SoCal I assume you're riding alot more pow and alot less ice than on the East Coast.. My Evo is as soft or softer than the Sherlock and there's nothing I wouldn't ride it on
Old 12-31-2012, 06:08 PM #1566
Saul G

I like Bern helmets. Snagged one on Steep and Cheap before the season started for like $40 shipped and it has already saved my ***. It has a nice removable fleece liner that is warm enough so you don't need a hat too.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:21 PM #1567
sportsaddict39 (Banned)

How much shorter than regular camber does the Evo ride, Eastside? For reference, I weigh about 165.

edit:

I wear a Protec helmet that I have had for like 7 years; It has saved my skull on multiple occasions.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM #1568
East§ide
inconceivable

My evo is a 153.. I probably could've gone a little shorter (I'm around 165 also) but I like the feel of it. Mine doesn't have the blunted tip and tail (2011) but the newer ones supposedly make anywhere from a 4-5cm difference.. Ie: the Pepto ct 153 has an effective edge like a 157 I believe. Ill definitely be getting another evo next season. My absolute favorite board in the world. Lots of pop, nice flex, quick base, dope graphics and American made

Edit: I have 3 helmets. I should probably wear them more often lol

Also, had the most epic fall ever yesterday lol.. Came off a side hit and landed a little nose heavy so naturally I'm assuming I'm gonna eat it on my face.. As I'm falling, the nose of my board basically nollies , I roll over my shoulders and land with my board directly under me riding away like nothing happened lol. I basically cartwheeled on my shoulders muahaha so awesome

Last edited by East§ide : 12-31-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM #1569
sportsaddict39 (Banned)

I've been wanting to try out the Evo for a few years, now. Seems like a great board. Thanks for the info.

Also, accidental cartwheel FTW.

Anyone have any goals for riding this season? Number of days? New tricks?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM #1570
East§ide
inconceivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsaddict39 View Post
I've been wanting to try out the Evo for a few years, now. Seems like a great board. Thanks for the info.

Also, accidental cartwheel FTW.

Anyone have any goals for riding this season? Number of days? New tricks?
It really is a great board. If you wanted something a LITTLE more all mountain, the Proto CT is basically a mix of the Evo and SL.. Another amazing board and I believe it has their carbonium top sheet

The cartwheel was so cool.. Some kids were like "that was soooooo sick hahaha"

My goals for this season are 25-30 days, a trip out west, an extended trip at killington or mt snow, and I'd like to be able to bs board slide and 360 Indy by the end of the season. Got some fs 180s yesterday but I didn't get to hit the park. Trying to hit boulder the weekend after next
Old 12-31-2012, 07:09 PM #1571
sportsaddict39 (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by East§ide View Post

It really is a great board. If you wanted something a LITTLE more all mountain, the Proto CT is basically a mix of the Evo and SL.. Another amazing board and I believe it has their carbonium top sheet

The cartwheel was so cool.. Some kids were like "that was soooooo sick hahaha"

My goals for this season are 25-30 days, a trip out west, an extended trip at killington or mt snow, and I'd like to be able to bs board slide and 360 Indy by the end of the season. Got some fs 180s yesterday but I didn't get to hit the park. Trying to hit boulder the weekend after next
I've had the 09 TRS (without banana) since it was new, and I am looking for more of a freestyle board that can handle all mountain. I'll look into the Proto.

Our goals our pretty similar. I'd love to ride 30 days, learn backside threes, attempt frontside threes, and learn jibs, and of course get as many pow days in as possible. I might splitboard with Mink in the Tahoe backcountry once this year, too.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:16 PM #1572
East§ide
inconceivable

Yea you'll def dig the Proto and it sounds like we're about the same skill level lol nice
I'm hoping for ONE true pow day lol , if I ever get to the PNW I have the best deck for a split.. 09 kass Vertighoul 155
Old 12-31-2012, 07:32 PM #1573
sportsaddict39 (Banned)

Quote:
Yea you'll def dig the Proto and it sounds like we're about the same skill level lol nice
I'm hoping for ONE true pow day lol , if I ever get to the PNW I have the best deck for a split.. 09 kass Vertighoul 155
Well, if you ever get to Tahoe, we should ride together. I feel like we've had this conversation, but maybe it was with someone else.

I've gotten five days in this year so far, four of which were somewhat powdery, two extremely powdery. I think this weekend might be a park riding weekend, but that depends on who I'm riding with.

I was thinking about making my TRS into a splitboard, and getting the Evo or Proto for resort riding.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM #1574
East§ide
inconceivable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsaddict39 View Post
Well, if you ever get to Tahoe, we should ride together. I feel like we've had this conversation, but maybe it was with someone else.

I've gotten five days in this year so far, four of which were somewhat powdery, two extremely powdery. I think this weekend might be a park riding weekend, but that depends on who I'm riding with.

I was thinking about making my TRS into a splitboard, and getting the Evo or Proto for resort riding.
def wasnt me, i just started posting in here again but if i ever get to tahoe, im down man

ive done 6 days, one semi powdery..most man made, but hey, snow is snow is snow is snow

i cant in good conscience say cutting up a trs is a good idea lol but..good idea

from yesterday:
Old 01-01-2013, 06:08 PM #1575
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Quote:
My evo is a 153.. I probably could've gone a little shorter (I'm around 165 also) but I like the feel of it. Mine doesn't have the blunted tip and tail (2011) but the newer ones supposedly make anywhere from a 4-5cm difference.. Ie: the Pepto ct 153 has an effective edge like a 157 I believe. Ill definitely be getting another evo next season. My absolute favorite board in the world. Lots of pop, nice flex, quick base, dope graphics and American made

Edit: I have 3 helmets. I should probably wear them more often lol

Also, had the most epic fall ever yesterday lol.. Came off a side hit and landed a little nose heavy so naturally I'm assuming I'm gonna eat it on my face.. As I'm falling, the nose of my board basically nollies , I roll over my shoulders and land with my board directly under me riding away like nothing happened lol. I basically cartwheeled on my shoulders muahaha so awesome

Hahhaa sickkk