PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 PM #22
usafpilot07
East Coast

has been a member for 10 years
usafpilot07 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
People that can't enjoy watching seven man just don't understand the complexities of it.

☺☺☺☺Rare XO Designers- Brown/Gold & OG Brown Venomwear☺☺☺☺

☻☻☻Old School Baby Blue JT Strap☻☻☻
♥♥♥Rare Colored JT 2-Piece ♥♥♥
Pink Ion-Never been shot. Needs new QEV, Feedneck and Reg- $70
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2008, 01:39 PM #23
plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafpilot07 View Post
People that can't enjoy watching seven man just don't understand the complexities of it.
Wrong?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM #24
rtman26

i've played in both leagues. the major differences is xball is offensive, and in my opinion 7 man tends to be more defensive. yes my opinion is biased because i enjoy xball more. and i will be honest when i started playin national events, it was 7 man nppl tampa in 05. I had no interest in xball...but that was only because i had not had the opportunity to play it. i'm not doggin 7man....if its your thing...go for it. I just think its more of a sit and wait for them to make a mistake game, rather than break out and shove it down they're throat game. its understandable though, you have one shot at each game. if you screw up...your out. thats why people tend to sit and wait more. xball you have more chances. ok i'm done
Old 11-14-2008, 02:44 PM #25
The True BushMaster

The True BushMaster supports Team VICIOUS
The True BushMaster is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay88 View Post
Because I like to argue....

7man isn't elimination based. Eliminations/men alive are actually worth fewer points than flag pull/hangs.

In win, lose, or draw games (finals), the flag is all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleboy016 View Post
The flag of course, is conveniently placed on the other teams startbox as well. So getting to the flag is essentially composed of getting all eliminations.
I will give you that, but are both leagues not based around flag hangs?

So, in that respect, the main difference is:
NPPL - You eliminate the opposing team, you win the game/match. (So long as a weird occurrence doesn't happen...time run out, last guys exchange, etc...)
PSP - You eliminate the opposing team most during the duration of both halves, you win the game/match.

In PSP, you want more points overall throughout the match. Total eliminations don't matter as they don't count for points.
In NPPL, you do want eliminations/live bodies at the end of each game.

Because I too, like to debate.

Mizzou
Old 11-14-2008, 02:47 PM #26
PBLULZ
www.Dmeyerspb.com

PBLULZ is playing at Living Legends III
PBLULZ plays in the APPA D5 division
cant wait for the neo its right down the road. hahaha
Dmeyerspb.com #8
Planet Eclipse, All American Paintball Park , DXS, Fatboy pods
Pittsburgh Paintball Sports Complex Unsignedphotos.com
Guests bring food. Food attracts animals. This one time, a bear came. And then the bear had to be destroyed. Which means they shot it in the head with a rifle, and killed it, and it died.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:53 PM #27
surealpaintballer

surealpaintballer supports Cereal Killerz 2
surealpaintballer posts videos on PbNation
I enjoy watching the gears work in the players heads and second guessing moves. If the camera angles are better, or the webcast in general i think people will feel differently about nppl.
EMPIRE Paintball gear
Ultra EVIL PAINTBALLS

GARDEN STATE PUMP
Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM #28
P8ntBllFrEaK123
Burnout

Quote:
who can point out the logical fallacy?
Old 11-14-2008, 04:06 PM #29
bunyak

bunyak is a Supporting Member
bunyak plays in the USPL
bunyak plays in the PSP
bunyak plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtman26 View Post
i've played in both leagues. the major differences is xball is offensive, and in my opinion 7 man tends to be more defensive. yes my opinion is biased because i enjoy xball more. and i will be honest when i started playin national events, it was 7 man nppl tampa in 05. I had no interest in xball...but that was only because i had not had the opportunity to play it. i'm not doggin 7man....if its your thing...go for it. I just think its more of a sit and wait for them to make a mistake game, rather than break out and shove it down they're throat game. its understandable though, you have one shot at each game. if you screw up...your out. thats why people tend to sit and wait more. xball you have more chances. ok i'm done
Ben, it's been boring sitting and watching for you to play again. It's like, play 1 year, rest a year and a half, play one week, rest 6........repeat.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 PM #30
OG STATUS

Webcast is ****tay
Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM #31
Grillz09

this is like watching golf
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM #32
jamiekerr14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillz09 View Post
this is like watching golf
To you yea, I gather you dont play it then...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM #33
grandbayballer

grandbayballer plays in the PSP
grandbayballer plays in the APPA D4 division
Boring, I'm just sending a Bunch of Shoutouts to all my sponsor and stuff.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:13 PM #34
queondavos

Quote:
This is very ture man. Xball like seven man takes skill to play. but seven is like going back to the basics more gunfighting, more locking lanes. Most teams nowadays start on the xball basics shoot here move, shoot move, shoot move. thats why most of the newer xball players can not gun fight worth crap.And xball can be played without much of teamwork, YES you need it. but seven man, will take a lot more than xball will. Seven man in my opinion is alot better than xball cause it really takes skill to play it. xball is just fan based now. the layouts are just to make the game look exciting its not about skill.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:59 PM #35
paintbalr4lif20
not a 2k8'r

like i said before, xball is more fast passed, and you need to learn to think on your toes a lot quicker.

the thing i like about xball, is that its kind of like other sports. there is a scoreboard with time and halves. in xball, its not all about winning the one game at hand, you have to learn time management, penalties are more logical, and its a lot more offense. if there is a close match, then the team that is up on points will most likely go to slower play and then more gun battleing will go on.

imo, xball ftw
Old 11-14-2008, 08:25 PM #36
G.Simpson
...Merk'N since 1986...

G.Simpson plays in the PSP
G.Simpson donated to help Peyton Trent
G.Simpson plays in the APPA D5 division
PSP maybe more exciting to watch but I prefer to play NPPL style ball than PSP (X-Ball) so therefore I prefer to watch NPPL. If I sneak up to 50 snake or dorito just to have someone screaming that I am there standing right by me ruining all the good shots I just earned pisses me off. With NPPL you just have to focus more on the strategy and appreciate it. Down time in between games is good for me cause then I can actually get some work done while I am watching (I got a shout out today for being at work, LOL). For those you say NPPL is boring wait until Sunday then see what you think. Just my $0.02
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM #37
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Simpson View Post
If I sneak up to 50 snake or dorito just to have someone screaming that I am there standing right by me ruining all the good shots I just earned pisses me off.
The screaming didn't "ruin" your good shots. Being too slow "ruined" your good shots.

I don't play XBall, but I do play 5-man with coaching. And when I get to the 50 and have good shots on the other team, you know what I do?

I SHOOT them.

They're toast by the time they even know what's going on. And if I'm too slow to shoot them before they turn around, well, my bad for not being able to shoot a guy's back sticking out of their bunker. (And believe me, I kinda suck, so that happens to me more than I'd like - but I don't blame the coaching for the fact I missed the guy, I blame the fact that my aim sucks.)

XBall is just 7-man in fast-forward. If you can't think/move/play/shoot fast, you're not going to like it. It's not that there isn't just as much strategy, you just have to do the strategy faster.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org

Last edited by raehl : 11-14-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:22 AM #38
Slave2theAxe
Death to wipers...

Slave2theAxe plays in the PSP
Slave2theAxe plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by raehl View Post
XBall is just 7-man in fast-forward. If you can't think/move/play/shoot fast, you're not going to like it.
OK...I enjoy both formats but am more of a 7 man fan.
You can't really say XBall is a thinking game when there is coaching telling players where to move/look/shoot.

7 man relies more on the skills/insticts of the player and thier teammates.

I think sideline coaching takes away from the skill of the game. XBall would be better without it.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 AM #39
Dustinkwon
~~~~IRONMEN FTW!!!!~~~~

Dustinkwon supports Team VICIOUS
nppl FTW

but x-ball is intense too see

RARE HP CROSSFIRE 45/4500 HYDRO: 1/07 (PICS AND VID!!!!) CUMMM AND GETT ITTTT
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...6#post69493816

UL'D PM7 FOR SALE ONLY! (ORANGE BOLT and CP SLING!) (PICS AND VID!!)(FULL SETUP F/S!)
https://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...8#post69494548
Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 AM #40
raehl
NCPA President

raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl is a founding member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave2theAxe View Post
You can't really say XBall is a thinking game when there is coaching telling players where to move/look/shoot.
Not only can I say that, I'll be right.

Coaching isn't telling players where to move/look/shoot. Coaching tells the *BAD* player where to move/look/shoot. Coaching is slow - the coach has to see what's going on on the field, tell the player on the field what to do, and the player has to execute that - and has to do it before the situation on the field changes, which often doesn't happen.

Under PERFECT circumstances, a player who is GOOD and making his own decisions is still going to be faster than a player who is being coached. And under less than perfect conditions, the coach is in a sideline full of people screaming at the top of their lungs and the players can't hear the coaches anyway.

The way XBall is set up:

Players who can think/move/shoot/play fast will win.
Next, players who can be coached will win - but they won't beat players who can think/move/shoot/play fast on their own.
Next, players who don't understand coaching might beat other players who don't understand coaching.

Coaching just speeds things up - because you can't get to the 50 and "hide" there for 30 seconds without your opponent knowing you're there. But for the GOOD players, that doesn't matter - the good player gets to the 50 and shoots out three guys in 5 seconds.

Believe me, I've spent the past year both being coached playing 5-man and coaching an XBall team. When I'm coaching, the ONLY time it really makes a difference is when we're playing a team that is, frankly, not good. When we play somebody like, say, Velocity Wrecking Crew or DSS, when they're beating us, it's because they've shot our guys before I even have a chance to say anything, because they are good and therefore FAST. And when I've been playing, coaching has only really helped me when the other team is playing really slow. Teams that are playing fast have moved by the time I've heard what the coach is telling me.

- Chris

Check Out Paintball on TV!

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 11-15-2008, 04:04 AM #41
surealpaintballer

surealpaintballer supports Cereal Killerz 2
surealpaintballer posts videos on PbNation
^ good man.

I enjoy watching both formats, i just love watching paintball. its a beautiful thing.
EMPIRE Paintball gear
Ultra EVIL PAINTBALLS

GARDEN STATE PUMP
Old 11-15-2008, 10:09 AM #42
rtman26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunyak View Post
Ben, it's been boring sitting and watching for you to play again. It's like, play 1 year, rest a year and a half, play one week, rest 6........repeat.
oh skeet...ya got me. lol. how bored do you think i am. if people would just give me free everything again...i'll gladly call off and play every weekend. and if i'm not mistaken....i was tryin to play friday but no one does streetball anymore on fridays. gotta work sat and sun. i'll have next sunday off though...so be ready...

and yes coaching is more of a distraction (?) than helpful. esp on the snake side cuz EVERYONE is coaching. telling you to do the wrong stuff. so if your stupid....you'll get shot anyway. i'm not really a fan of coaching, but its nice sometimes when you take a snake and dont really have to think.

Last edited by rtman26 : 11-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.