I love getting computer parts. Feelsgoodman
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2012, 07:25 PM #65
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by byarosh201 View Post
Is the 660 that much of a better card than if I was to SLI 560s?

And this is going to be my first build, is there anything else I really need besides what comes in the boxes? Also I changed from that MSI board (it doesnt support the ivy bridge) to this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=
Yes 6 series > 5 series
Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 PM #66
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
akward silence is Immortal
He's right. My 680 is MUCH better than my 570 classified was. Totally worth the upgrade, especially if you don't already have a card.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:48 PM #67
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
It doesn't sound like your budget is as tight as the buttocks of a young mistress like some builds here, so maybe after deleting the sound card get some Mushkin memory?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820226333

Or I'd recommend the Samsung low voltage memory they sell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147096 Buy 2 obviously if you want 16gb, or just use 8gb for now?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 PM #68
byarosh201

Well I'm ball parking. As long as I giddy up and order before the end of the month. The whole bill me later through pp is 0% for 6 months.

Reasonably I can afford to get something at about 1500. Especially with overtime I'm getting. Let alone income tax and bonus checks(if nation wide we hit our marks) because after 6 months the apr shoots to 19.99% or 24% depending on your credit. Which is a little intense. I might almost be better off applying for a newegg card instead. 0% for 12 months.

BACK ON TOPIC :

Pros/cons of going with 16gb over 8gb. Will there be a huge difference in performance? I know gaming wont be affected as most programs don't even make full use of 8. But what about in the editing software or 3d rendering programs?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 PM #69
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

I have 16gb and I primarily run AutoCAD and games. 8gb did fine though.

I do notice that multi layer drawings run/load/transition between pages faster with 16gb though, but it could just be my imagination.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:13 PM #70
byarosh201

Quote:
Originally Posted by akward silence
I have 16gb and I primarily run AutoCAD and games. 8gb did fine though.

I do notice that multi layer drawings run/load/transition between pages faster with 16gb though, but it could just be my imagination.
Ill prolly run with 8. As ram isn't too expensive and it's probably one of the easiest upgrades you can do down the line. If I feel that I need the extra memory you know.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:22 PM #71
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

Oh heck yeah, adding more ram is definitely easy. Probably takes longer to get it out of the package than it actually does to install it!

8gb is a good start, and you can definitely upgrade down the line. That Asus mobo supports 32gb (if you get it).
Old 11-18-2012, 10:27 PM #72
byarosh201

That's what I figured. I'm actually pretty excited to sit down when I get off work in the am and finalize a build. I'm slightly nervous about putting it together but I learn quickly and as long as I discharge static often I should be okay. I think lol
Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 PM #73
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Oedipus supports DLX Technology
I will say that when you start talking about APR in the same sentence as "buy computer," you're doing something wrong, especially when the tab will be 1500 or less.

As for the RAM question, if you're even asking whether or not it's worth it to go from 4 to 8 or 8 to 16, you would be fine with 4. 8 is already going to be more than plenty.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 PM #74
byarosh201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus
I will say that when you start talking about APR in the same sentence as "buy computer," you're doing something wrong, especially when the tab will be 1500 or less.

As for the RAM question, if you're even asking whether or not it's worth it to go from 4 to 8 or 8 to 16, you would be fine with 4. 8 is already going to be more than plenty.
There's apr on any loan...a basic grasp of economics would tell you this. If I'm going to use something that is going to keep me from shelling out 1500+/- in one shot. Obviously I would do it. So knowing I can pay off 1500 in 6 months(at worst) with no interest on the loan, makes more sense than me going into my savings or emergency stash to buy a computer. Why do that when I can just roll that cost into my monthly expenses?

And why would I downgrade the amount of ram in my new rig when my current junk box has 8. If anything I'm going to increase. 4gbs was never even stated.

Reading comprehension. Do you have it?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 PM #75
Oedipus
god save captain slow

You should never take out a loan to buy a computer. You should listen to more Dave Ramsey. He knows a thing or two about this sort of thing.

I don't give a crap what you have in your current system. If you're even asking, you don't need a lot. 4 would be enough, if you were so inclined.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:48 PM #76
byarosh201

Quote:
You should never take out a loan to buy a computer. You should listen to more Dave Ramsay. He knows a thing or two about this sort of thing.

I don't give a crap what you have in your current system. If you're asking, you don't need a lot. 4 would be enough, if you were so inclined.
That's the same as saying having a credit card is a bad idea. I don't buy anything on credit(which is what I'll be doing with this computer) unless I have the funds to buy it outright if something were to happen. This must be too much for you to understand.

Like I said reading comprehension is quite important because if you actually read the post, you would see that I am actually well versed in managing my expenses.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 PM #77
Oedipus
god save captain slow

If you plan on putting it on your credit card, which you say means you will pay for it outright, what difference does it make what your APR is?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 PM #78
byarosh201

Quote:
If you plan on putting it on your credit card, which you say means you will pay for it outright, what difference does it make what your APR is?
If it goes on a credit card that gives me 0% interest for X amount if time. I don't have to pay it outright. I set a reasonable number(read:~1500)that I could afford to pay off in X amount of time before they charge me interest(read: APR) if you didn't know an interest rate is APR.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:04 PM #79
Oedipus
god save captain slow

Quote:
That's the same as saying having a credit card is a bad idea. I don't buy anything on credit(which is what I'll be doing with this computer) unless I have the funds to buy it outright if something were to happen. This must be too much for you to understand.

Like I said reading comprehension is quite important because if you actually read the post, you would see that I am actually well versed in managing my expenses.
Quote:
If it goes on a credit card that gives me 0% interest for X amount if time. I don't have to pay it outright. I set a reasonable number(read:~1500)that I could afford to pay off in X amount of time before they charge me interest(read: APR) if you didn't know an interest rate is APR.
Yeah... I don't follow this methodology at all.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM #80
byarosh201

Let me out this in simple terms. I won't put something on a credit card if I can't afford to pay for it in cash. The luxury of 0% interest for a period of time means that while I have the funds to buy said item I don't have to upfront.

The most effective way to build your credit is not by paying your entire bill as soon as you receive your statement(unless you don't want to pay interest, which is nil in this case), but rather make consistent payments that are on time and exceeding the minimum payment amount.

My logic on using a credit card is if I don't have the cash I can't afford it even if I used my weekly disposable income to pay the bill instead. I like to have the cash backup just in case I was to become unemployed or unable to work due to injury or what not. Instead of having that over my head I can say okay I owe X amount on this credit card, and send out a check to clear my debt.

Make sense now?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 PM #81
Oedipus
god save captain slow

That's not at all how I would do it, and I paid way, way more for my current PC than 1500, but it sounds like you know what you're doing.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 PM #82
byarosh201

If I didn't have other bills to worry about such as my truck payments, insurance, rent, living expenses, etc I would go into my savings say okay I'm gonna take this much out and buy a computer.

I don't have that luxury because who knows when I might need to use that 1500. I could get in a car accident and I gotta pay my deductible, towing fees, etc. my dog might get sick and have to go to the vet. That's the whole thing is that I don't touch my savings unless I have to. I use my disposable income to pay off things like this.

I'm not sure how old you are, nor does it matter but clearly it doesn't sound like you have many responsibilities to account for, or life experience. You'll understand when you have to take more things into consideration than just buying a computer.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:33 PM #83
toolbandfan
The dude abides

toolbandfan is a Supporting Member
toolbandfan is playing at Living Legends VII
Clearly you are the only one with responsibilities of owning a car and having a dog.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:36 PM #84
byarosh201

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbandfan
Clearly you are the only one with responsibilities of owning a car and having a dog.
AND A CAT.

Edit: but judging by his responses, it doesn't sound as though he has much to account for in life. Because apparently backing what your credit debt would be with cash in order to maintain a rainy day fund, or continue to increase my savings so I can own property instead of renting, Is stupid and doesn't make sense. So why interfere with my long term savings when I can use a tool to purchase something I can afford but am unwilling to pay the bill 100% upfront?

Last edited by byarosh201 : 11-18-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Closed Thread