PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-07-2010, 05:16 PM #22
Dances With Tribals
Member of the Tribe

has been a member for 10 years
The only way I will switch to .50 is if my marker manufacturer pays for my conversion kit. If we would ever be forced to switch then they will have to pay for a conversion kit, or a .50 marker of equal or greater value. Goes the same way for cell phone companies. I know a couple of people using old phones that became obsolete on the current network so they got new phones for free. Same priciple. If you don't like .50 then don't use it plain and simple. But if were ever forced to change, that is a whole different story.
eBay +52/-0
Dances With Tribals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM #23
IcePalaceStaff
No Throwing Snowballs!

IcePalaceStaff owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dances With Tribals View Post
The only way I will switch to .50 is if my marker manufacturer pays for my conversion kit. If we would ever be forced to switch then they will have to pay for a conversion kit, or a .50 marker of equal or greater value. Goes the same way for cell phone companies. I know a couple of people using old phones that became obsolete on the current network so they got new phones for free. Same priciple. If you don't like .50 then don't use it plain and simple. But if were ever forced to change, that is a whole different story.
But your current gun would still work. A carrier may choose to subsidize the cost of a handset because older ones won't physically work anymore.

Cell users enter into a contract...you promise to pay for a couple years, and you get a cheap/free phone that is not going to go obsolete in said amount of time. There really isn't an analogy in the paintball world that one could draw.
Well said IcePalace, you are a man of words.
AGG points for rocking the revvy.
"

17+/0-
IcePalaceStaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:44 PM #24
MOAR_Coffee (Banned)

paintball isnt going to "switch" to 50 cal, 68 cal will always be around. It's not market hype, there is far more negative hype from the same 50 people who keep making the same threads and ill-informed arguments against. Even with all the bad press you guys are giving 50 cal it's most likely going to catch on.

Since you can use 50 cal at a higher speed(roughly 450fps) it's a faster paintball, it hits with the same amount of force as a 68 going at 300fps. Breaks just as much.
Sure, not everyone will make the switch, however if you want to be competitive in the tourney scene you'll need to pick up a 50 cal.
MOAR_Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 PM #25
ysiwpaintball
Ron

ysiwpaintball plays in the PSP
ysiwpaintball donated to help Peyton Trent
ysiwpaintball supports Team VICIOUS
ysiwpaintball plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAR_Coffee View Post
paintball isnt going to "switch" to 50 cal.
Since you can use 50 cal at a higher speed(roughly 450fps) it's a faster paintball, it hits with the same amount of force as a 68 going at 300fps. Breaks every time.
Sure, not everyone will make the switch, however if you want to be competitive in the tourney scene you'll need to pick up a 50 cal.
No way dude 450 is 450 lol **** hurt's

LUXE

"Originally posted by licence_to_kill: plant meth in his car and call the cops"

"If your not going to stand behind our troops, stand in front of them"
ysiwpaintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM #26
MOAR_Coffee (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysiwpaintball View Post
No way dude 450 is 450 lol **** hurt's

I'm not sure you're smart enough to understand, but I will give you more credit than you deserve for the time being.
The 50 cal hits with ~5 joules of force at 300fps, the 68 at 300fps hits with 13 joules. Which is why the 68 breaks more often, it's like shooting a 68 at 150fps, it's not going to break and it won't go very far.
To make a 50 cal hit with the exact same force as a 68 cal you would have to shoot the 50 cal at 482fps.
The 50 cal has less mass, thus has less kenitic energy as the 68 moving at the same speed. While the 68 at 450 would be dangerous, the 50 cal at 450 is still hitting with less force than a 68 at 300fps.
So, the 50 cal can travel 50% faster than a 68 and is still safer.
MOAR_Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:30 PM #27
IcePalaceStaff
No Throwing Snowballs!

IcePalaceStaff owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAR_Coffee View Post
The 50 cal hits with ~5 joules of force at 300fps, the 68 at 300fps hits with 13 joules. Which is why the 68 breaks more often, it's like shooting a 68 at 150fps, it's not going to break and it won't go very far.
No real disagreement.
To make a 50 cal hit with the exact same force as a 68 cal you would have to shoot the 50 cal at 482fps.
Based on what calculation? f=dp/dt? f=ma? f=P*A? That sounds more like the velocity required for equal kinetic energies.
The 50 cal has less mass, thus has less kenitic energy as the 68 moving at the same speed. While the 68 at 450 would be dangerous, the 50 cal at 450 is still hitting with less force than a 68 at 300fps.
Assuming the two balls have the same force (as you somehow concluded above) the .50 would exert a much greater pressure, which is what we actually care about.
So, the 50 cal can travel 50% faster than a 68 and is still safer.
At least accurately describe the physics if you're going to act like you know what you're talking about and insult other people's intelligence.

Also, I wasn't aware that there were safety issues with .68. For what it's worth, a .50 at 450 will just as easily blow up an eye socket as a .68 at 300. I'm fairly convinced that a .50 at 300 will still wreck an eyeball. No empirical evidence yet, though.
Well said IcePalace, you are a man of words.
AGG points for rocking the revvy.
"

17+/0-
IcePalaceStaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:41 AM #28
Play Pump

The only time anyone at my field mentions .50 cal it's when they're talking about the replica browning paintball gun used for scenario games.
Play Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:17 PM #29
Mikko
^_^ Germany ^_^

Mikko owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I will probably never use a .50 cal paintball gun
Mikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM #30
FirstinLastout

also got to consider spyder hasnt exactly given us the highest qaulity stuff lately in my opinion.

All the fault of pride.
WarHoundsPaintball.com
FirstinLastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:45 PM #31
7usabball

7usabball posts videos on PbNation
7usabball has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
7usabball has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
7usabball has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace-fuk View Post
then you're not a true baller and only an weekend walk on player??

people that make a living with paintball
lol

1. not too many people have the time too be a "true" baller and have school
2. make a living? lol, not many people can do that/ do that
7usabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:37 AM #32
..kris..
XBL: I n0sc0ped JFKx

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePalaceStaff View Post
You pay way less per unit weight for .68 than .50.

You also seem to misunderstand how a typical economy functions.
lmao,
..kris.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:23 PM #33
TropicalPants
THE BEES KNEES

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyFace View Post
id be all for it if the performance of the ball was up to par with .68 cal.

im against .50cal because it doesnt perform as well and i dont want to play on a smaller field
****n dawt.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:07 AM #34
shimmyshammy

.50 caliber.
1. Some countries do not allow rounds or guns larger then .50cal. (paintball is not allowed, airsoft made the push there)
2. It is cheaper (in the long run) to make .50cal. (less materials)
3. Its a way to sell more stuff..
4. The physics are negligible. We all know paintballs are not the most accurate projectiles to start with.
5. It does not make it "safer", protective gear and good shooter responsibility (like all guns) does that.
6. More rounds fit into a mag; lending its self to Magazine/clip (milsim) markers. (unlike bucket-full loaders) Military training cross-compatibility.
Woodball is just as fun as Speedball..
Sponsorship doesn't mean anything, here's a cookie..
shimmyshammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:16 PM #35
TheHef

TheHef owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
if its good and cheap ill use it. I 'm not gonna hate for no reason.

plus im not a *****
TheHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:38 PM #36
smartparts1991 (Banned)

I have nothing against 50 cal, this guy who started the thread shoud not have come onto the 50 cal threads to complain, 50 cal looks fun and one day I'll try it.

50 cal can be just as fun as 68.
smartparts1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:02 PM #37
Paint_hore
PBN=SUA syndrome

.50 cal isnt here to make it more affordable for the player, its here to make more money for the manufacturer. Its all about their wallets, they really couldnt care less about you guys.
Paint_hore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:09 AM #38
Pandajon

Pandajon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Pandajon has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Pandajon has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Pandajon is attending Decay of Nations VI
honestly i havent really read into this whole 50 cal thing but from the companies i see marketing it, it seems like its more foucsed towards open and woods players. will feild start using rentals that are 50 cal yes. its all about making the most money they can. if a feild depends on "open gamers" to make their money then why not switch over. they can get paint cheap and sell it for more.

do i think these companies came out with the so called "paintball 2.0" no. its dumb to think that people that have been playing for years including myself will just drop everything they have and switch no! not saying somewhere down the line i wont switch one of my egos over but as far as buying new gear not gonna happen.

some teams might jump on this just to get in more playing time (do to cheaper paint). but this will not take over by any means. its a great idea for younger kids playing in the woods, and marker practice but other than that 50 cal fails.

its all about making money now. if some companies could they would find a way to shoot paint outta a paper towel roll they would and put a nice price tag on it and say its new paintball 2.1.
Pandajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 AM #39
Castro #66
Not a Moderator*

Castro #66 is a Moderator
Castro #66 is a Supporting Member
Castro #66 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Castro #66 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by loneassassin View Post
Agreed. I have not even visited this forum for at least 4 months now, because it's the same arguements over and over and over. .50 is not gaining ground. I've played with over 75 different people this year so far, and not one of them is shooting a .50 cal gun, or even mentions .50 cal. In fact, I have not even heard the words ".50 cal" uttered on a paintball field, period. Let's let it die the slow, painful death it deserves...

I understood the physics before any tests were done - it can't compete with .68, plain and simple. But if other people want to use it, that's fine with me. I'll be laughing my *** off as my .68 paint blasts them in the face as their .50 paint rolls to a stop at my feet...
As a tech, I'm occasionally asked at the field about .50. I'll usually shake my head and laugh, since I don't often see it coming. After explaining the main disadvantages, then discussing the "advantages", the response is always the same. No one educated about .50 that I've personally talked to has been interested enough to do it.

Castro #66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM #40
MiamiBeast

I want 50 cal the Cheaper Better !
MiamiBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM #41
210GOOSE
goose doesnt die here!!!!

just buy one anyways i like to try it for myself b-4 knocking it so im waiting for my MI to get in but then again i do have more money than davey crocket
210GOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:48 AM #42
Registered_Member (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by big,bad,PAINTBALLER View Post
the egos conversio kit is 300 bucks, Buy a hole new damn ego for that price, and what happened about this price change?
a case of diablo .50 is still 60 bucks a case...
What are you smoking?
the ego kit is $150-200
A $60 case of diablo .50 cal comes with 4,000 paintballs

To the thread starter
I highly doubt even if all the 50 cal companies decided to close up shop on your behalf you would play more than another year or two. Guess it's true that what people fear most is change. You're not going to be in the sport much longer, 50 cal isn't out to "replace" 68; if you didn't believe everything anyone tells you then you would know that.
Either way, you'll most likely have quit paintball in a year and will be trolling ST like every other tourney player that has come and gone leaving destruction in their wake.
Registered_Member is offline   Reply With Quote