PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-25-2016, 08:37 PM #1
Eawschmitt

Eawschmitt has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
what marker should i buy

Im looking to get into paintball. And i have about a 600 dollar budget what marker should i buy
Eawschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2016, 10:05 PM #2
BigDaddyR
BigDaddyR

I'm not an expert but had the same question recently. Is the $600 for marker alone or the budget for all your gear? Makes a difference.

Advice I've been given is to get a good quality mask first, motorized hopper next 70-$120, tank $50-159. Used would be your best value. Then your marker.

Some good ones I've seen that would fit are the Proto Maxxed Rize new which I bought. It's a great gun and shoots buttery smooth. All the reviews have it as reliable as the day is long. The Empire Axe used is recommended on here quite a bit as well and you can find reviews on it.

Hope this helps.
BigDaddyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:48 PM #3
Mondoatx

Have to agree with BigDaddy... the Rize is pretty sweet man... I have had one since May and have run probably around 24000-26000 rounds through it with minimal issues (only ball breaks/issues I have had EVER were a result of a low battery).

It shoots fast, is accurate, consistent, not terribly loud, reliable, and easy to maintain.

If you have $600 and that needs to cover mask and tank and hopper the Rize is a good move at $250...

That will leave you money for other necessities (mask, tank, hopper, maybe a pack?)...

As far as a hopper... I have 2 kids and by the time I spent $250 on the gun, another $150 on a tank, and another $100 on a mask... I wasn't able to justify spending another $150 on a rotor or spire (those are the most popular hoppers it seems these days).

So, instead I went with an old school JT revolution ($45)... it runs off two 9 volt batteries and has served me well. It is agitated (not force feed) and has electronic eyes so it knows when to kick on and start feeding paint. Agitated is an older technology than the newer force feed hoppers and don't feed as fast, but I found it still keeps up with the Rize. Only drawback is if a ball gets broken in the hopper it can be a bit of a pain to take apart and clean it.

For a mask I use a Empire Eflex... they are updated versions of the old JT Flex 7's from the 90's and they were awesome back then... and are even better now with the improvements. That was an easy choice for me because I LOVED the Flex 7's from back in the day... and when I saw the eflex I immediately knew the Flex 7 was the predecessor.

Like BigDaddy mentioned, You can also save money by going with used stuff. If you go with a used tank be sure to ask when the last time the tank was hydro'd. Hydro testing needs to be done every 5 years. Also be sure the tanks output pressure matches the gun you are going to buy if you are going with a pre set (most air tanks now a days seem to be presets set at 800 PSI... the old adjustable ones are from another era).

I think a used gun and hopper and tank are fine as long as they have been well maintained and are in good working order... a mask though I would prefer brand new for sure (personally I think it is gross to sweat in something that someone else has sweated in, but that is just me).

Let me know if you have any other questions. Post here or PM me... welcome to the sport!

Mondoatx
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 02:56 PM #4
Mondoatx

Oh... and if you want to hold off on buying a tank you can rent them from most fields... The field I play at rents them for $2-3 for the entire day... you can certainly justify that if you want to avoid the up front cost of a tank for a while... or devote the money you would spend on a tank to a nicer gun.

Axe's are pretty sweet. My field rents them as an upgrade and I have played several games with them... They shoot great! Got a 2015 Axe Pro for Christmas yesterday and am taking it out Saturday.

To me though... the Rize is an ideal starter gun because the price point is relatively low but the performance is great.

I used to play a lot when I was a teenager and stopped when I hit 19 or 20 years old and took a 13-14 year break... so when I came back I had more money... but now I also have kids to support ;-)

My recommendation is to go with a less expensive gun initially that still is reliable and offers good performance... and then in a year or so if you decide you want to spend more money and upgrade go for it.

Mondoatx
Old 01-03-2017, 02:36 PM #5
srockm21

im thinking my first marker is going to be a Mini. ill let you know how i like it
srockm21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:04 PM #6
Andrewp2485

I just picked up an empire mini gs for $269 , halo loader for $80 , tippman compressed air tank for $65 and a v force low profile mask for $60 at my local shop . Its a great set up you cant beat it for the price everything brand new. Youll even have money left over for pods,vest,paint and field time
Andrewp2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:16 PM #7
BNEWTON

BNEWTON plays in the PSP
 plays in the NXL
 plays in the NXL 2
BNEWTON plays in the APPA D3 division
Cant go wrong with an Axe.
WORTHLESS
2010 D3 5man World Cup Champs

WWW.PBSPORTS.COM
WWW.RUTHLESSWARE.COM
BNEWTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM #8
Slowmo_1

I was in the same boat you are just a few months ago. I found a used Empire Axe, 68/4500 ninja tank, and spire hopper for 300$ on Craigslist. Keep your eyes there or on the BST threads here or Facebook and you can find good deals on used equipment.
Slowmo_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:02 PM #9
Mondoatx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowmo_1 View Post
I was in the same boat you are just a few months ago. I found a used Empire Axe, 68/4500 ninja tank, and spire hopper for 300$ on Craigslist. Keep your eyes there or on the BST threads here or Facebook and you can find good deals on used equipment.
That is a smokin' deal... the spire and the tank are almost worth that alone retail...
Old 01-11-2017, 01:03 AM #10
drew212

drew212 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
drew212 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
drew212 supports Ninja Paintball
I'd look at the BST and local craigslist if you're near a metro area. Your money will go way farther on used gear.
drew212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM #11
srd11
Ooooh... Shiny!

Annual Supporting Member
srd11 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
srd11 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 supports Empire
If you're careful, and aren't afraid to haggle a bit, Craigslist can be your best friend when looking for a good deal on a used gun. An Axe, Mini, Proto Rail, or an Etha are all decent choices, for getting into paintball. A couple things to keep in mind though:

If you're looking at a "package" with a gun, tank, loader etc. mind the hydro date on the tank, a tank that is past it's hydro date is useless until you pay someone to test and certify it for you.

At the low end, a lot of times the seller is selling of their first gun, and may seriously overprice it. Sentiment doesn't have a dollar value, make sure you're not paying for it...

If you have a tank, gas it up, and take it with you, as well as a good 9v battery. You may not be able to fire paint out of a gun you're looking to buy, but you do want to make sure it gasses up without leaking, and that the board powers up. Nothing worse than getting what you think is a good gun, and then finding out you need to replace the eyes, solenoid, and half the o-rings before it'll even shoot.

Don't expect it to be in perfect condition. Scratches and wear happen. If it does leak, take a little time to find out why. Replacing an o-ring or two is real cheap. You don't want to walk away from a good deal of a dollar's worth of o-rings.
Empire 68/4500 Carbon Fiber
srd11 is offline   Reply With Quote