PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 PM #1
Mondoatx

Paintball Eating contests

Hey guys,

I remember back in the day (late 90's) reading APG and PGI... they would often talk about big games where there would be a paintball eating contest.

The winner would win some kit or maybe a gun...

1. Do they still do this? Looked on youtube and most of the videos seemed 5 years old at least.

2. Anyone ever participated in one of these?

3. In some of the videos it shows the participants spitting out the shell and fill... Anyone ever actually eaten all that crap? If so... what was the gastro-intestinal result?

Look forward to your comments and stories.

M
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2017, 11:20 PM #2
Amazon1985
80's Player

Back in the mid 90's I witnessed it at both Wolfs Lair (now EMR) & Skirmish, think I saw it at the Lair first during their first tourny/team event.
Was interesting, was also before cellphones & small camcorders so I didnt record it for history.

I stopped playing around 96 or so so no idea if it still happens.
I was going to but back then pballs were nasty tasting things, I had eaten a couple theu my snappers vents, didnt like it. Plus I have vaneers on my teeth & the dyes then would have stained them so I didnt partipicate as much as I wanted too.
And no, the guys just spit out the shells, but considering they are just giant vitamin e capsules I doubt they would have hurt the gastro system, maybe the trots from some of the fill (shrugs)

I would never haven eaten the pballs back when I played in the 80's, they were still mostly oil based. Water based had to have came into use around hmm, by 90/91 at least or my unit command would have had several unit members by the short hairs for destroying our bdu uniforms with oil based pballs.
Nowadays, I may have done it. Broke some pballs today when my hopper cover broke loose (well it is 15 yrs old) & some balls fell. One of my cats decided to bat one & I got splattered, not too bad. I've tasted worst though ;-)
Amazon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:22 AM #3
SCthumper

I haven't seen a contest since the opening weekend at wolfs lair either. One of my team mates participated. He was fine, just a case of the runs (ok TMI sorry). He blamed it on the paint... we blamed it on the beer and the questionable hamburgers we brought for the cookout lol!.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:18 AM #4
Amazon1985
80's Player

LOL SC, yeah, figured a case of the trots probably from the oil used back then, someone reminded me that it was fish oil so think eating the fill was like taking massive amount of cod liver oil, good for what ails ya my mom always said. :-) Course it could have been the items ya mentioned too, someone blew up the portajohn outside my bunkhouse though that nite, made me irrated. :-(
Amazon1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:21 PM #5
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoatx View Post
Hey guys,

I remember back in the day (late 90's) reading APG and PGI... they would often talk about big games where there would be a paintball eating contest.

The winner would win some kit or maybe a gun...

1. Do they still do this? Looked on youtube and most of the videos seemed 5 years old at least.

2. Anyone ever participated in one of these?

3. In some of the videos it shows the participants spitting out the shell and fill... Anyone ever actually eaten all that crap? If so... what was the gastro-intestinal result?

Look forward to your comments and stories.

M
Dogs have been sent to the vet for unexplained sickness, and after they sort through the poo they find little pieces of paintball remnants. So don't eat paintballs, at least the kind they make today. Unless someone shoots you in the mouthguard and you get a small tasty sample, mmm ... yellow-flavored
Pittsburgh Stinkbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:54 PM #6
freedummy
BOOM! Headshot!

RestoraLAX contains 100% Polyethylene Glycol 3350. Sound familiar? Paintball fill is mostly PEG - a mix of PEG 400 and PEG 3350 for consistency, according to the internet. That might give you a hint to what happens when you eat too many, lol.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:01 PM #7
SCthumper

OK dummy. I dont care where you are from... thats funny.
On a serious note though... I do remember flavored paint balls at one time. Mind you I never personally saw them or tasted them...It may have only been a rumor.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:58 PM #8
Mondoatx

Dummy,

That is hilarious and confirms my suspicions... That you would get a horrendous case of the trots eating that stuff...

Oh... and interesting post about the dogs getting sick... that makes sense also...

Mondoatx
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 10:09 PM #9
Pbdude2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCthumper View Post
OK dummy. I dont care where you are from... thats funny.
On a serious note though... I do remember flavored paint balls at one time. Mind you I never personally saw them or tasted them...It may have only been a rumor.
I remember these scented/flavored paintballs. A buddy of mine got some one day of open play and they definitely smelled of bananas but didn't ever taste them but another guy playing did and said they tasted like banana.
Pbdude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM #10
freedummy
BOOM! Headshot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdude2000 View Post
...but another guy playing did and said they tasted like banana.
I've heard of the banana paint, I don't know if it actually tasted like banana or if he was funning ya! But I wouldn't be surprised, if it truly was. RestoraLAX is completely tasteless, while paintball fill is definitely not.

I don't know if the horrid flavor a result of the titanium dioxide, or dyes, or other additives, or if they purposefully add a bittering agent to discourage people and wildlife from eating them. Any paint reps care to enlighten us?
Old 01-11-2017, 12:43 AM #11
Pbdude2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedummy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbdude2000 View Post
...but another guy playing did and said they tasted like banana.
I've heard of the banana paint, I don't know if it actually tasted like banana or if he was funning ya! But I wouldn't be surprised, if it truly was. RestoraLAX is completely tasteless, while paintball fill is definitely not.

I don't know if the horrid flavor a result of the titanium dioxide, or dyes, or other additives, or if they purposefully add a bittering agent to discourage people and wildlife from eating them. Any paint reps care to enlighten us?
May not have actually had flavoring but because smell plays an important role in taste it's possible that the smell made it "taste" like banana even if it wasn't flavored. He also may have been kidding when he said it as you stated but sadly we will never find out for sure.
Pbdude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 PM #12
srd11
Ooooh... Shiny!

srd11 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
srd11 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
srd11 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I've never seen a paintball eating contest, but, on one occasion, I did intentionally eat a paintball. I was trying to talk a friend into playing, and he was worried about getting paint in his mouth, asking if it was toxic. I told him that they tasted like crap, but not toxic, and that sucking a little paint from a mask hit wasn't a big deal. He didn't believe me, so I grabbed one out of a bag I had left over from the previous weekend, and popped it in my mouth. Tasted bad, but it did me no harm. I'm not saying it pairs well with steak or anything, but one didn't have me rushing off to the bathroom.

It did the trick, by the way, he did end up coming out to play... He also insisted on "taste-testing" a ball himself... I'm not sure which of us was the more foolish in this scenario...

EKEK 5
G.I. Sports Level Loader
Empire 68/4500 Carbon Fiber
srd11 is offline   Reply With Quote