Rebel4x4kid
Team Carnage

has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
Rebel4x4kid plays in the MiLP
Rebel4x4kid posts videos on PbNation
Rebel4x4kid plays in the APPA D4 division
.50 cal now allowed in NXL

I've missed out on a lot of the .50 cal talk ever since they were first talked about. Does anyone think that there will be a bigger market for .50 cal paintballs and conversion kits now that NXL and many other tournament leagues are allowing them in tournament play?

Rebel4x4kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2016, 12:12 PM #2
Pump Scout
Old gun,new gun,whatever

Annual Supporting Member
Pump Scout is a Mega Moderator
Pump Scout is a Supporting Member
Pump Scout is BST Legit
Pump Scout is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
No. No team is going to hit the field shooting 50 caliber in the NXL. I could see there being a 50 caliber division, maybe even as a young guns division, which would actually be pretty cool, but I doubt very much that they're taking anyone's advice... especially mine.
Pump Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:07 PM #3
YOUNGSTOWN
YOUNGSTOWN CREW

plays in the NXL
YOUNGSTOWN supports Ninja Paintball
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Scout View Post
No. No team is going to hit the field shooting 50 caliber in the NXL. I could see there being a 50 caliber division, maybe even as a young guns division, which would actually be pretty cool, but I doubt very much that they're taking anyone's advice... especially mine.
You never know.. You might see a individual player here or there try it...
They are damn accurate with good paint from 0-50/60ft i'd say...Way more accurate than .68 at those distances (in my opinion).
When I play indoor over the winter (it's about a 90' long field) I love playing with one of my .50 cal rental fleet markers. I can hit packs, toes, tips of loaders, side of masks...really just about anything you can actually see to shoot at, wayyyy easier than .68 at the same distances.

I could see it used in specific situations but...... in general a young guns .50 cal division is probably more likely the reason for it. Makes sense.

I honestly don't know why it was not allowed previously.

I'd give it consideration if there was a loader that would feed consistently at 10.5 and I felt there was a situation that would allow a greater advantage.
YOUNGSTOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:13 PM #4
Rebel4x4kid
Team Carnage

plays in the NXL
Rebel4x4kid plays in the MiLP
Rebel4x4kid posts videos on PbNation
Rebel4x4kid plays in the APPA D4 division
I could see a couple of strategic points, one with being able to carry more paintballs on the field and only having one or two people shoot .50 cal to sustain heavy fire on the opposing team. It'd be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it. Maybe more .50 cal conversion kits becoming available?

Rebel4x4kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 PM #5
YOUNGSTOWN
YOUNGSTOWN CREW

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4x4kid View Post
I could see a couple of strategic points, one with being able to carry more paintballs on the field and only having one or two people shoot .50 cal to sustain heavy fire on the opposing team. It'd be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it. Maybe more .50 cal conversion kits becoming available?
yes.
I could see it to where if in time they say for example... four common 140rd pods per person max as a new rule.. similar to the millennium 500 div.....
Well they only said 4 pods but that could mean your loader plus 560 .68 cal paintballs or... your loader with .50 cal and 1400 .50 cal paintballs... Depending on what you are trying to achieve.. it could work out to your advantage.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:50 PM #6
TNCerealKilla

TNCerealKilla has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TNCerealKilla has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TNCerealKilla has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
TNCerealKilla supports Shocker RSX
TNCerealKilla supports Ninja Paintball
I am kinda surprised .50 hasn't taken off off more, if it is more accurate, hurts less, and takes less space to carry more rounds meaning you can have more agility due to less on your hips, and hoppers can stay the same size or get smaller. Not to mention I could see .50 helping the mag fed community.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2016, 04:59 PM #7
YOUNGSTOWN
YOUNGSTOWN CREW

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNCerealKilla View Post
I am kinda surprised .50 hasn't taken off off more, if it is more accurate, hurts less, and takes less space to carry more rounds meaning you can have more agility due to less on your hips, and hoppers can stay the same size or get smaller. Not to mention I could see .50 helping the mag fed community.

biggest thing is that over distance it bounces a lot more... so from a competitive aspect, that is a drawback to using it. So imagine most players would rather stick with what's more likely to produce a splat in a competition vs. the alternative... but, I still think there could be a place for .50 but it would be limited at the moment.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:08 PM #8
TNCerealKilla

TNCerealKilla has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TNCerealKilla has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TNCerealKilla has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
TNCerealKilla supports Shocker RSX
TNCerealKilla supports Ninja Paintball
I would think that the kinetic energy from a .50 pb is less that a .68 pb so in theory you could increase the volcity and still be safe, but that is a whole other can of worms . But tightening the rules on padding and loose jersey to help with that. In fact I am surprised that they having limited baggy clothing that promotes bouncing yet.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:25 PM #9
Horizon

Horizon is a member of the Paintball Operators' Association
I've personally never found it ot be more accurate. As a matter of fact, I've noticed the opposite.

As far as being able to carry more paint, I guess that could be considerable advantage for some players as you can close to 2.5 times as much paint in the same volume container, but... can teams afford to buy 2.5 times as much paint, even if it's marginally cheaper?
Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:33 PM #10
Superzeus
Domer

Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Amount of paint doesn't matter when you have a 10 bps restriction. You can lock down the field even for a long point with .68 cal and current air efficiency at 10 bps. And every other aspect of the ball is superior for tournament play. 50 cal has its place but it's not on the field vs .68 cal in a competition setting.
Old 01-21-2016, 05:29 AM #11
pballaNH

Annual Supporting Member
pballaNH is BST Trusted
pballaNH is playing at Living Legends X
pballaNH owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
pballaNH owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
pballaNH is an NCPA player
pballaNH has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzeus View Post
Amount of paint doesn't matter when you have a 10 bps restriction. You can lock down the field even for a long point with .68 cal and current air efficiency at 10 bps. And every other aspect of the ball is superior for tournament play. 50 cal has its place but it's not on the field vs .68 cal in a competition setting.
Well said
pballaNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:00 PM #12
YOUNGSTOWN
YOUNGSTOWN CREW

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superzeus View Post
10 bps is more controllable than 12 or 13 or 15 bps when trying to control a lane over a long time frame but, if you say.. well, now I can carry 4 pods and a loader (making me smaller, and lighter) than carrying 7-9 pods of .68 where it's just to opposite.. .50 cal could be a option for a front guy running up to the new monstrosity "Win" bunker... if he/she sat 5 feet off the back side of it and just put a stream of paint down one side you could easily lock an entire tape down for several seconds longer at sustained fire than with .68..It might not seem like much but if you're up the field and now the players are 35-70 feet away on average.. yeah you could still bounce them but, that's the trade off.

I'm interested to see what opportunities come out of allowing it.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 PM #13
pballaNH

Annual Supporting Member
pballaNH is BST Trusted
Good strategy. Is the allowing of .50 going to be individual player or team decision? In essence, can one player on a team do what you described or does the whole team have to commit to playing with same caliber
Old 01-24-2016, 01:17 PM #14
YOUNGSTOWN
YOUNGSTOWN CREW

plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pballaNH View Post
Good strategy. Is the allowing of .50 going to be individual player or team decision? In essence, can one player on a team do what you described or does the whole team have to commit to playing with same caliber
I imagine it would be up to each team
Old 01-24-2016, 04:30 PM #15
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot

This probably wont change things much. .50 cal makes all kinds of sense for rental but has no real market in the speedball arena *unless* young guns or low divisions were to have 50 cal only games, or a pods limit rules as someone said.

The advantage of being able to carry more would only work in an M500 format which limited the pods rather than the actual number of shots as someone has said. In fact you'd see whole teams going .50 if it meant carrying 2.5 times as much paint because .50 is worse, but not 2.5 times worse. They'd play conservative boring paintball to wait the .68 teams out. Then it's down to expense, but richer teams have always done better because they can shoot more paint. This would be no different.

Thing is, rules like that aren't anywhere on the horizon.

Christ Krew #16

Somebody needs to start a magfed speedball league
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:32 PM #16
PB18
ŦҤE ₦E

PB18 supports Ninja Paintball
PB18 supports Empire
Don't feel the hit = More penalties
Old 01-25-2016, 01:04 AM #17
pballaNH

Annual Supporting Member
pballaNH is BST Trusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
This probably wont change things much. .50 cal makes all kinds of sense for rental but has no real market in the speedball arena *unless* young guns or low divisions were to have 50 cal only games, or a pods limit rules as someone said.

The advantage of being able to carry more would only work in an M500 format which limited the pods rather than the actual number of shots as someone has said. In fact you'd see whole teams going .50 if it meant carrying 2.5 times as much paint because .50 is worse, but not 2.5 times worse. They'd play conservative boring paintball to wait the .68 teams out. Then it's down to expense, but richer teams have always done better because they can shoot more paint. This would be no different.

Thing is, rules like that aren't anywhere on the horizon.
For an M500 league this might work the first time around but then the following year after it has been ruled an advantage they might come out with a "50 cal pod" that has to be used to limit the rounds available to each team and a new set of rules.

But I agree.. it's probably not very viable for tournaments unless it was a young guns league
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM #18
EscapingFate88
Deployed.

EscapingFate88 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
EscapingFate88 supports Team VICIOUS
Well

That came quicky

Lava Ranjerz Sonic Borg/Etek3/Shocker NXT
Muppet Mower Since '06
EscapingFate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:21 PM #19
KyleDM5

KyleDM5 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
KyleDM5 has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
KyleDM5 supports Ninja Paintball
Solid debate. I like it.
KyleDM5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:14 PM #20
Mondoatx

Bit late to the party here...

But wouldn't it be harder to get a qualified "hit" with a 50 cal round as it carries less paint?

When I say "hit" I am meaning a mark considered large enough to eliminate a player...
Mondoatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:27 PM #21
miguelcont96
MadMan Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
miguelcont96 owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
miguelcont96 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
miguelcont96 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
miguelcont96 supports Ninja Paintball
miguelcont96 owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoatx View Post
Bit late to the party here...

But wouldn't it be harder to get a qualified "hit" with a 50 cal round as it carries less paint?

When I say "hit" I am meaning a mark considered large enough to eliminate a player...
Well I would argue that the .50 cal concern would be with ball speed and breakage across the field. Since the .50 balls are lighter at the same muzzle velocity, they'll take more time to get to the other side of the field and since they carry less momentum they are more likely to bounce off of whatever they hit.

paint marks isn't really something I'd worry too much about, tournament grade paintballs have way more than enough paint for a hit to be obvious. I would say .50 cal has just enough.

On another note, if a team were to run .50 cal, since they don't hurt when they hit, it could be a sneaky way of drawing penalties on the other team.

You WILL enjoy my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRl...hHSen6hNMFLoUQ
miguelcont96 is offline   Reply With Quote