tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

has been a member for 10 years
tsbalr120 plays in the MiLP
tsbalr120 is an NCPA player
tsbalr120 is Legendary
Affirmative Action in Colleges

Quote:
(CNN) -- Heman Marion Sweatt and Abigail Noel Fisher both wanted to attend the University of Texas at Austin.

Both claimed their race was a primary reason for their rejection. Both filed civil rights lawsuits, and the Supreme Court ultimately agreed to hear their separate appeals -- filed more than half a century apart.

Their cases share much in common -- vexing questions of competition, fairness, and demographics -- and what role government should play when promoting political and social diversity.

But it is the key difference between these plaintiffs -- separated by three generations and a troubled road to "equality" -- that now confronts the nation's highest court: Sweatt was black, Fisher is white.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/us/sco...t=hp_inthenews

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand I believe the students with the best grades should be amitted, regardless of race or any factors. The fact that a student gets in with a worse resume than another just because they are a minority is unfair in my opinion.

On the other hand,

Poverty rates is skewed greatly with mostly minorities. To help this problem the main option is to get more minorites into higher education. Affirmative Action helps with this.

What do you guys think?
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 01:20 PM #2
Iamamartianchurch

There is a problem with the underlying logic that treats higher education as job training.
Iamamartianchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:28 PM #3
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
There is a problem with the underlying logic that treats higher education as job training.
Get out of my head.

I am a firm believer that not everyone should go on to university. I am also a firm believer that you don't need university to learn.

I find it troubling that racial quotas are deemed ok for the sake of "diversity".
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts

Last edited by barrel roll : 10-10-2012 at 01:30 PM.
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:31 PM #4
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamamartianchurch View Post
I'm curious, why is it a problem?
Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM #5
marcozombie

These fit nicely here

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/10/162567...n-in-higher-ed

http://www.npr.org/2012/10/09/162565...-fully-blended
Old 10-10-2012, 01:54 PM #6
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Get out of my head.

I am a firm believer that not everyone should go on to university. I am also a firm believer that you don't need university to learn.

I find it troubling that racial quotas are deemed ok for the sake of "diversity".
I completely agree with you here.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM #7
Tafari Makonnen
His Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbalr120 View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/08/us/sco...t=hp_inthenews

I have mixed feelings about this.

On one hand I believe the students with the best grades should be amitted, regardless of race or any factors. The fact that a student gets in with a worse resume than another just because they are a minority is unfair in my opinion.

On the other hand,

Poverty rates is skewed greatly with mostly minorities. To help this problem the main option is to get more minorites into higher education. Affirmative Action helps with this.

What do you guys think?
Race and gender should not be considered in college admissions at all.

Low income isn't the only factor as to why minorities perform more poorly academically. White students outperform minority students in standardize testing in the same income bracket, and often do better than minority students from families of higher income levels. There are underlying cultural (and likely physiological) factors that need to be addressed to improve the academic performance of minority students and students in general. Affirmative action and similar proposed solutions don't address the actual problem of poor performance, they simply make people feel better about it.

Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph.
Tafari Makonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:01 PM #8
Matt.is.back2011

I think affirmative action is aimed more at schools with historically poor performance, and less on race.

Realistically, a 3.5 isn't a 3.5 depending in what school you go to, and students should be rewarded for beating the odds and their peers.

When your schools average test scores and grades are significantly lower than the national average and you have some students who excel and do better than their peers, they should be rewarded for that. Even if their grades happen to be a 2.7 or 3.5.

U of M Football: 10-2
Matt.is.back2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 PM #9
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbalr120 View Post
I'm curious, why is it a problem?
It reduces learning into narrow specialties. Such a mindset is more well suited to apprenticeship and trade school. For most careers, this will more than suffice. A big side effect of this particular focus in the university is the over emphasis on abstraction over than reflection. What I'm talking about is learning itself. Abstraction develops a fetish of reducing the irreducible, IE nature. Not that you can't generalize with success. It is merely that theory alone is often insufficient to perform the task you are supposedly trained to so. Which explains the hordes of hopelessly inadequate degree holders I've spoken of here o. Occasion. Personal experience mind you, the type of reflective knowledge that usually shunned. Anyway.

The point is, the university system exists to pass on the cultural and intellectual heritage of humanity to coming generations. Treating the university system as anything but obfuscates this goal and devalues the education one receives.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM #10
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tafari Makonnen View Post
Race and gender should not be considered in college admissions at all.

Low income isn't the only factor as to why minorities perform more poorly academically. White students outperform minority students in standardize testing in the same income bracket, and often do better than minority students from families of higher income levels. There are underlying cultural (and likely physiological) factors that need to be addressed to improve the academic performance of minority students and students in general. Affirmative action and similar proposed solutions don't address the actual problem of poor performance, they simply make people feel better about it.
Asians fair exceptionally well.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM #11
Overbear
#2 Anti Stim Club Member!

Overbear is a Supporting Member
How can you view "affirmative action" as anything but pure racisim?

Person 1: Sorry we can't let you in even thou you have a 4.0, you are white.
Person 2: Oh, well come, sure you only have a 3.0 but your black/asian/whatever so thats ok.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Thomas Jefferson

A democracy is, two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.
A republic is, two sheep and a wolf voting on dinner.
A constitutional republic is, voting on dinner is expressly forbidden and the sheep are armed.

Armed gays don't get bashed - www.pinkpistols.org

ssgaR: 'faith is the path of least resistance'."

Rapier7: Don't be a douche
Overbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:31 PM #12
Iamamartianchurch

For most of you, this is the relevant problem with our current philosophy:

Higher education as job training creates a requirement for most of population to attend college. Diminishing quality aside, you are flooding the market with degree holders subsequently devaluing that degree. Chiefly, the bachelors which is by no means cheap. At face value this probably sounds like bull****. Which might be a true statement if we had close to full employment. Back to the point. Men and women are more or less forced to incur massive debt for a degree that is not guaranteed to land them with a job. Flood the labor market with holders of the same degrees and you have a massive problem on your hands.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:33 PM #13
licence2kill
POOP

education isn't a zero sum game martian. the problem isn't a more educated populace, its a ****ty labor market which we allow to exist.
licence2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM #14
drgonzo
Half-cocked

Seems like most people in this thread need to get educated on how affirmative action actually works.

Quote:
"Even if Abigail Fisher had received a perfect Personal Achievement Index score she would not have been admitted ... because her Academic Index was simply not high enough," says Gregory Garre, lawyer for the University. Garre, who served as U.S. solicitor general in the George W. Bush administration, says flatly that "Fisher would not have been admitted, no matter what her race."
This is really the long and short of this. This person was simply did not make the grade to get accepted. The thinking that she should have been accepted and only was not based on her skin color is borderline racist, and at minimum smacks of racial privilege.

This should not have gotten this far and this shows you what is wrong with a politicized supreme court. They are only taking this case to serve their political benefactors.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM #15
Matt.is.back2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overbear View Post
How can you view "affirmative action" as anything but pure racisim?

Person 1: Sorry we can't let you in even thou you have a 4.0, you are white.
Person 2: Oh, well come, sure you only have a 3.0 but your black/asian/whatever so thats ok.
It has to do in relation to one's peers. Plus, anybody with a 4.0 gets into whatever school they want (excluding Ivy League and other exclusive schools if you're an out-of-state student).

So here's a more accurate example:

Person 1: White, suburbia, scores a 3.2 GPA, 1600 SAT score. In the top 25% of their class.
Person 2: Black, inner city Detroit, scores a 2.9 GPA, 1550 SAT score. Top 10% of their class.

Person 1 doesn't get in, person 2 does. Do you think this is fair?

Old 10-10-2012, 02:37 PM #16
chodeyg
sprezzatura

I didn't get into UF (not that I would go near the place) despite taking 7 AP classes and passing the exams on 5 of them, several years of Latin classes and competing in state/regional forums, getting a 1370 on my Sats, holding a job for a few years, competing in rowing for four years blah blah. Meanwhile several girls I knew who got awful test scores, fewer ap classes, no sports or job got in just fine. My roommate was one of two students in his high school who were in some system similar to international baccalaureate program that didn't get into that school as well. Both of them were the only white students in the program...

These days affirmative action is just reverse racism. It may have been effective once but it is not reducing the skewing effects of poverty these days. Racial quotas need to be ended, and they need to be ended quickly.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:39 PM #17
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Matt - I ignored location and race. I looked at scores, and not statistics (% above class). No, not "fair".
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM #18
Iamamartianchurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
education isn't a zero sum game martian. the problem isn't a more educated populace, its a ****ty labor market which we allow to exist.
It is in our ****ty labor market. That was the whole point.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM #19
barrel roll
secedere

barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence2kill View Post
He is arguing that just because you get 4 more years of training for a career as an XYZ, it doesn't mean you are educated. The purpose of higher education isn't to train you for a career, it is to further develop the individual.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM #20
tsbalr120
Goooonsberry

tsbalr120 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.is.back2011 View Post
It has to do in relation to one's peers. Plus, anybody with a 4.0 gets into whatever school they want (excluding Ivy League and other exclusive schools if you're an out-of-state student).

So here's a more accurate example:

Person 1: White, suburbia, scores a 3.2 GPA, 1600 SAT score. In the top 25% of their class.
Person 2: Black, inner city Detroit, scores a 2.9 GPA, 1550 SAT score. Top 10% of their class.

Person 1 doesn't get in, person 2 does. Do you think this is fair?
No, because the only thing person 2 has going for them is being black and went to school with dumber people.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:43 PM #21
Matt.is.back2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrel roll View Post
Matt - I ignored location and race. I looked at scores, and not statistics (% above class). No, not "fair".

So you think admissions should weigh GPA and Test Scores equally, ignoring demographics?