Old 05-15-2014, 05:28 PM #1
murkr
Team Speed

murkr plays in the MiLP
murkr plays in the APPA D4 division
murkr is attending Decay of Nations VII
murkr supports Empire
Is this CF boomstick barrel very scratched inside? **PICTURES**

Hey guys, so i just bought a CF boomstick in size .684 for $100, i thought i got a great deal but now that i got it i think i know why it was so cheap.

the inside of the barrel back has a bunch of lines "scratches" that i can feel with the top of my fingernail when i put it in the barrel.

Do you think this is bad enough to affect accuracy? or does it need to be worse?

I tried taking the best pics i could but it was hard to get the camera to focus, it looks worse in person. The seller said i can return, what do you think i should do?

murkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2014, 06:52 PM #2
SynystrAssassin
BoostGod

SynystrAssassin has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SynystrAssassin has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Definitely return it. It's not worth having a $100 barrel with either a ****ty honing job or a terrible former owner
SynystrAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 PM #3
murkr
Team Speed

murkr plays in the MiLP
murkr supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynystrAssassin View Post
Definitely return it. It's not worth having a $100 barrel with either a ****ty honing job or a terrible former owner
Thanks for the advice, i was thinking the same thing. dammit, i really like the way this looked on my geo 3.1

i guess i just got to wait until another one comes on the market.

i really want the dust teal one, but those rarely come on the market used.

Last edited by murkr : 05-15-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 AM #4
Ackon

Ackon owns a Planet Eclipse CS1
Have you tried shooting with it? I have similar markings on mine, dont have nails to see if i can feel them.

It has nothing to do with a bad owner. Playing outdoors, having an open hopper (speedfeeds) will allow some dust to get in. Also barrel breaks and you shooting it out. the remaining shells can cause some scratches too. Those scratches look very linear. So I dont think its the lack of care from the previous owner.

If your playing speedball and you have a barrel break, your not always going to have to chance to swab the barrel while your playing. Maybe if your playing woods and you have the extra time, but its all situational.

Your buying used there is going to be some wear and tear. If this wasn't disclosed to you, then i guess yea return it. However those markings looks to be normal wear and tear. If your not happy with the wear and tear on used items, then buy them new.

Last edited by Ackon : 05-16-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Ackon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:56 AM #5
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
 plays in the NXL
NJEmortal posts videos on PbNation
NJEmortal plays in the APPA D4 division
I baby my gear, all of my CFBoomsticks have the same wear... it's inevitable. Also, this only seems to happen to my Boomsticks, I haven't noticed it in any of my aluminum barrels or my SS freak inserts...

To alleviate any doubt you might have; I've never noticed any deviance in accuracy due to these hairline scratches. Shooting "Good" paint will fly just as accurately out of that CFBoom than it would out of your stock Shaft4
NJEmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:12 AM #6
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Looks like normal wear for the boomstick too me.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:51 AM #7
murkr
Team Speed

murkr plays in the MiLP
murkr supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackon View Post
Have you tried shooting with it? I have similar markings on mine, dont have nails to see if i can feel them.

It has nothing to do with a bad owner. Playing outdoors, having an open hopper (speedfeeds) will allow some dust to get in. Also barrel breaks and you shooting it out. the remaining shells can cause some scratches too. Those scratches look very linear. So I dont think its the lack of care from the previous owner.

If your playing speedball and you have a barrel break, your not always going to have to chance to swab the barrel while your playing. Maybe if your playing woods and you have the extra time, but its all situational.

Your buying used there is going to be some wear and tear. If this wasn't disclosed to you, then i guess yea return it. However those markings looks to be normal wear and tear. If your not happy with the wear and tear on used items, then buy them new.
the seller was cool, he said try it out first before returning it and im going playing tomorrow so i will see.

but iv bought used barrels before and seen a lot of my friends barrels and iv never seen scratches like this before. they were always mirror finish.

i dont think a soft gelatin paintball can ever cause these kind of scratches even with barrel breaks. iv had many barrels breaks in my other guns and never seen this before.

i believe its from a dirty squeegee, or like you said dirt from speedfeeds. With the money i spent for this i wanted it to be perfect on the inside, i can buy a brand new barrel for this price. i also have a DW fibur but its so skinny, i like how the boomstick bulges in the center and the tip because it helps me align the frame with barrel easier when i am aiming. "personal preference"

BTW: im sure you got nails on the fingers lol, mine are short too. i meant putting your finger in the barrel and touch the inside with the top of your finger "your nail" instead of the bottom part of your finger "fingerprint"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmortal View Post
Also, this only seems to happen to my Boomsticks, I haven't noticed it in any of my aluminum barrels or my SS freak inserts...
can someone back that claim up? so every boomstick gets these kind of scratches? wtf? i dont know if i want to buy one of these again then..

Last edited by murkr : 05-16-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 AM #8
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by murkr View Post
can someone back that claim up? so every boomstick gets these kind of scratches? wtf? i dont know if i want to buy one of these again then...
Yes, I use speedfeeds. Yes, I've played in sandy areas. Yes, I've had barrel breaks. Yes, I've used my CFBoomsticks and other barrels under the same conditions. No, I have no breach wear in any of my markers... I use these on my CloneGTi, Axe, Insight... Trust me, it happens to all of the CFBoomsticks, and for the life of me, I don't understand why. I have all 4 sizes, and it happened to all of them.

Dry paint, debris, and broken shell will leave scratches. It's inevitable. Even titanium boomsticks spark from dry paint. I'm sure they're scratched up as well

Old 05-16-2014, 11:09 PM #9
murkr
Team Speed

murkr plays in the MiLP
murkr supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJEmortal View Post
Yes, I use speedfeeds. Yes, I've played in sandy areas. Yes, I've had barrel breaks. Yes, I've used my CFBoomsticks and other barrels under the same conditions. No, I have no breach wear in any of my markers... I use these on my CloneGTi, Axe, Insight... Trust me, it happens to all of the CFBoomsticks, and for the life of me, I don't understand why. I have all 4 sizes, and it happened to all of them.

Dry paint, debris, and broken shell will leave scratches. It's inevitable. Even titanium boomsticks spark from dry paint. I'm sure they're scratched up as well
your just backing up your own claim, i would like to hear from other CF boomtstick owners if theirs has been doing the same thing.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:25 PM #10
IBleed Arbor
take that for data

IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
I've seen it in mine as well, I wouldn't worry to much about it. Shoot it and you will see that it makes no difference.
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 AM #11
C@mM!

C@mM! supports Ninja Paintball
Sounds crazy, but wash it in warm soapy water and run a squeegee thru it. Often, its not actually scratching, but residue from the paint thats cakes on hard.
C@mM! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:35 AM #12
NJEmortal
weR1

Annual Supporting Member
 plays in the NXL
Quote:
Originally Posted by C@mM! View Post
Sounds crazy, but wash it in warm soapy water and run a squeegee thru it. Often, its not actually scratching, but residue from the paint thats cakes on hard.
Be careful washing CFBoomsticks. Run the water from the tip end, not from the breach end. You can get water stuck between the stainless bore, and the aluminum or CF outer layer.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:11 AM #13
Mr. Stealthy

Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse - Emek
Mr. Stealthy owns a Planet Eclipse Etha
Part of the reason for the scratches is that Stainless steel, while being harder to bend, is slightly easier to scratch than aluminum. The grade of steel they use while easy to fine hone, is not the hoghest grade out there to save on cost and be easier on machining. You would get similar wear on aluminum over a period of time but it just takes a little more use. Small bits of debris get in through speed feeds, dirty pods, squeegees, etc. The scratching will not really effect the performance of the barrel much though so it really isn't anything to stress over.
Mr. Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:26 PM #14
murkr
Team Speed

murkr plays in the MiLP
murkr supports Empire
i returned it, not dealing with any of this bull**** my stock shaft 4 barrel shot just the same if not better.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:50 PM #15
gospeedgo1

My brass freak inserts, stainless freak inserts, lapco fuse, and dye ultralite all have these types of lines. Not sure if they are scratches or from the pantball shell since i underbore with my pumps.
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 PM #16
XxJKATxX
Legit As They Come

plays in the NXL
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse CS2
XxJKATxX supports Team VICIOUS
XxJKATxX is an NCPA National Champion
XxJKATxX has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
XxJKATxX owns a Planet Eclipse LVR
Never had problems and loved te look of my boomstick sorry you had to go through this

160R,Trex Victory,DM7
Virtue Spire 3/FS 88/W Powerhouse Reg,
^Changes so much does not even matter XD

East Carolina Paintball Team Alumni
2015 NCPA National Champion Class AA
XxJKATxX is offline   Reply With Quote